American pancakes & your breakfast?

I love pancakes! I love those huge, buttermilk pancakes you can get at IHOP or Denny's. I also love me mom's...she just uses the Bisquick mix and adds vanilla. But my favorite kind are the Swedish kind. I like to top them with powdered sugar and roll them up.

For my breakfast this morning, I just had caramel-flavored yogurt and coffee. Bo-ring.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate breakfast !!

Realise I have to have it so now its frozen fruit, yoghurt and milk whizzed up in a milkshake ........or bacon sarnies!!

When in US could not do their breakfast (in fact had to go to Walmart and get Special K for OH) made me feel ill. Pancakes and maple syrup at 11am though YUM

When in US could not do their breakfast made me feel ill. Pancakes and maple syrup at 11am though YUM

I was the same when working as an au pair in Germany - at first I didn't mind salami and cheese for breakfast every day but as we had it for supper as well it started to make me feel a bit ill about having it in the morning. I was saved though when they announced they wanted a day of 'English' food and I was dispatched to the NAAFI to get cornflakes (the biggest pack I could find), marmalade, marmite etc.

And the only thing to eat if you're suffering a hangover. The best cure ever, lie flat on your back on the floor and eat pizza. And hope you won't fall off the carpet.

And the only thing to eat if you're suffering a hangover. The best cure ever, lie flat on your back on the floor and eat pizza. And hope you won't fall off the carpet.

Isn't it a terrible feeling when you are holding on for dear life and the room is spinning like crazy.

UK pancakes are large round thin, sprinked with lemon and sugar and rthen rolled up. Although you use other things the lemon and sugar are traditional and is what most people would use. UK pancakes are very similar to, and in fact basically are, crepes. American pancakes are smaller and more like cakes in texture. When I first tasted them my reaction was "it tastes like a cake more than a pancake" I have to say I prefer the European ones BUT the American ones are very nice and I like to have them as a change.

Sounds delicious! Anyone have a recipe for me to try?

We have the thin ones in Finland, too. Only I've always called them Magic Pancakes to make the difference to the American ones my dad prefers. But here's one really easy recipe:

2 eggs

5dl milk (let it warm up a bit, so the flour mixes better)

2dl flour (just the basic kind)

1,5 teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon butter

Mix it all up, let it sit for about half an hour if you can (if you're too hungry, or too pressed by the small creatures, you don't have to wait), and fry a thin layer on thin pan in butter,medium heat, from both sides. You'll learn the right amount of dough to go to one quickly. When done, set on a plate and sprinkle with sugar.

Serve warm with sugar and jam, or whipped cream. Or all of them.

Oh, and what's the magic in Magic Pancakes? You turn them around by tossing them up in the air. Major fun.

(And what if they end up on the floor while I'm trying to toss them in the air??? The dog gets those, I guess. LOL!)

Well, that entirely up to when you have vacuumed the last time. The key thing when tossing pancakes is to have a pan with very very VERY low edge. After that, it's all about the wrist. Oh, and if you have on of those pans that make several little ones at the same time instead of one big one, forget it. I've tried, doesn't work.

Ooohhh...it's been so long since I've had some good, fluffy pancakes. I've been craving them for the last few days, but I'm all out of the mix. French toast is great, too, especially with powdered sugar and hot maple syrup. I've never had biscuits and gravy, but I think that's only eaten in the South.

I'm gonna go crazy! I may have to go out and get some pancake mix!

Ooohhh...it's been so long since I've had some good, fluffy pancakes. I've been craving them for the last few days, but I'm all out of the mix. French toast is great, too, especially with powdered sugar and hot maple syrup. I've never had biscuits and gravy, but I think that's only eaten in the South.

I'm gonna go crazy! I may have to go out and get some pancake mix!

I liked biscuits and gravy. I think if it's made well ( make sure the white sauce picks up all the flavour from cooking sausage ) then it can be good.

Now grits... I really can't get on with that!

I liked biscuits and gravy. I think if it's made well ( make sure the white sauce picks up all the flavour from cooking sausage ) then it can be good.

Now grits... I really can't get on with that!

When you eat the grits you should use some maple syrup mixed in with them. They are very good that way.

Echo, try making the pancakes from scratch with flour and buttermilk. They are very easy to make and are very good. I can't remember the last time I used a mix, hmmm, maybe never.