Christmas cooking

My family adore my sticky honey glazed gammon - many versions of it are available. It goes a long way.

When I make my cheesestraws I add a thin scrape of English mustard and cayenne powder to each layer with the cheese - I have to make several batches because thay disappear so fast (they can be frozen ahead of time)

What about a home made pate (I use a Rick Stein pork terrine and there's never any left)

I think the only reason I make it through Christmas without gaining any weight is the skiing. I eat of a week, then I ski for a week. It's amazing what 8 hours of exercise a day manages to stave off!

Last year, my 2 cousins-in-law (both girls married cousins of mine in the last 2 years) made a massive Christmas spread for the family - there were 10 of us at the meal, and we had:

A Christmas turkey

A Christmas ham

Roasted tatties

Sweet potatoes

Vegetable soup

Roasted veg (parsnips, carrote, etc, all honey glazed)

Stuffing, Gravy, Cranberry Sauce, Mash, Brussels Sprouts with PLENTY of butter

A Japanese Spinach dish

Christmas pudding

Christmas cookies

Apple pie with ice cream

Mincemeat pies

...and it continued on for days...

Our Christmas dinner, which my parents host each year, is like this:

Prime Rib

Mashed Potato Casserole

Spinach Salad

Pureed Potato Soup from the night before

those bake and serve dinner rolls

Cranberry sauce from the can

The prime rib is the main attraction, and they start cooking as soon as we're done with the gifts in the morning. :lol: Since it usually weighs about 14 pounds or so, it takes all day to cook!

The only food I need to make my Christmas complete is the HAM! We get a lovely big ham that is carved up by Dad. YUM! And we have other salads etc with it.

And the best part is that there's always so much ham left over that we spend the next week eating it: ham and eggs; omelettes; melts etc. Bring on Christmas!

Our Christmas dinner, which my parents host each year, is like this:

Prime Rib

Mashed Potato Casserole

Spinach Salad

Pureed Potato Soup from the night before

those bake and serve dinner rolls

Cranberry sauce from the can

The prime rib is the main attraction, and they start cooking as soon as we're done with the gifts in the morning. :lol: Since it usually weighs about 14 pounds or so, it takes all day to cook!

Prime Rib is very good. It melts in your mouth, very tender :D

Prime Rib is very good. It melts in your mouth, very tender :lol:

My mom always has to make a special order for it, and it always ends up costing more than they think. Besides, after turkey at Thanksgiving, and the fact that I hate ham, beef is a great choice, I think!

• 1 month later...
I'm thinking of having a Christmas baking party this year - doing the mice pies and the sugar cookies etc.

That's a good idea! I have wanted to have a time of hanging out and baking together with my small group (five junior high girls from the church youth group). Christmas is as good a time as ever, especially with the time it'll save us! Eating the dough is the best part, and then frosting the cookies. Sometimes I flip through Martha Stewart Living magazines. In the December issue Martha said something like, "Good food, good friends, and good music make holiday chores like gift-wrapping or cookie-baking enjoyable."