Recommendations for a Good Christmas Read

Kirstykat

Can Reindeer Fly?: The Science of Christmas by Roger Highfield is excellent. It explores all the "myths" of Christmas, such as can reindeer fly? How does Santa deliver all those toys in just one night? Is the concept of a Virgin Birth feasible? And what was that star in the sky just over 2000 years ago? It's a very entertaining read - very well-written - as well as being very informative. It's completely different from anything else I've ever read.

Last year the reading circle choice over the Xmas period was Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, which I think is an excellent seasonal read. Very clever and incredibly funny, it's one of the Discworld books that can be read alone, even if you've never read any previous Discworld books (although it does help a little if you've read one or two of them with Death in, so you can get a feel for his character, but it's not essential really).

If you want something completely magical, you could always try The Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo (it's the first in a trilogy). Although not technically set at Christmas, it's very snowy and it feels lovely to read it all curled up inside the house while the wind whistles and the snow whirls outside. And once you';ve read the first one, I know you'll want to read the two sequels that continue the story, so I've posted the link to the trilogy all in one book for you, so you can see what it's about.

So, there you go - three completely different books with only one thing in common with each other - they're all bl**dy good reads!

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien to read over the holidays. It's a collection of the letters he wrote to his children at Christmastime.

For a truly risque Christmas read, try searching out a copy of Santa Steps Out by Robert Devereaux. It's an out of print book, so you'll have to try finding it used.

And on the opposite end of the scale, a good Christmas book to get for your children is Red Ranger Came Calling by Berkeley Breathed. I think it has an appeal for both children and adults - and the artwork is fantastic!