Brian's Book Log - Ongoing

Left for Dead by Nick Ward and Sinead O'Brien

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis
In August of 1979, Nick Ward began the 600-mile course of the UK’s Fastnet Race with perfect weather. Within 48 hours, the deadliest storm in the history of modern sailing had blasted through the Irish Sea. By the time it had passed, it had thrown one of the world’s most prestigious races into bedlam and taken the lives of fifteen sailors. Ward’s boat, Grimalkin, was capsized again and again, and the skipper lost overboard; after hours of struggle, three of the crew fled the boat for the liferaft. Nick and his crewmate Gerry, both injured, unconscious, and presumed dead, were abandoned on the beleaguered yacht. Gerry died a few hours later, and Nick was left alone to face down a storm that has become legendary among sailors and racing fans alike. "Left for Dead" is Nick Ward’s harrowing and inspirational memoir of how he survived that dreadful night. After his dramatic rescue, Ward was overwhelmed by media and decided in 1980 not to speak of the incident again. It wasn’t until this book’s coauthor, Sinead O’Brien, approached him about the story that he began the personal writings that became this book. Here at last is the untold true story of an accident that has intrigued lovers of the sea for almost thirty years.
(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This book popped up in my Audible app as a suggestion of something that I might be interested in. I'm not sure how the algorithm came up with this suggestion but it did a good job. I don't have an interest in sailing in the slightest but I am intrigued about stories of survival, especially where there are questions about the decisions made during this process. Of course it is easy to make judgements when we are not in the same situation as those involved but there is one question which always seems to bring the biggest response. Abandonment.

I didn't know anything about this story before listening to the audiobook and right from the start I was hooked. The authors do a good job of covering both the technical and the emotional aspects of what happened. Even though this was written a long time after the incident you get the impression that it is still pretty raw for Nick Ward. In the early parts of the story he questions the suitability of certain crew members but towards the end we learn that age has changed his opinions in some cases. The book is really well written and it felt like a thriller at times without being over the top. Even though I knew that Ward survived the ordeal, the final stages of the rescue are nail biting.

The burning question is "Did Ward's crew mates behave in the correct way by abandoning ship and leaving him for dead?' It's clear that Ward doesn't think so, however, as time has gone passed I think he understands why they did what they did even if he doesn't agree with it.

4/5 (I really liked it).

• 2 weeks later...

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis
Four seekers have arrived at the rambling old pile known as Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of psychic phenomena; Theodora, his lovely and lighthearted assistant; Luke, the adventurous future inheritor of the estate; and Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman with a dark past. As they begin to cope with chilling, even horrifying occurrences beyond their control or understanding, they cannot possibly know what lies ahead. For Hill House is gathering its powers - and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.
(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I haven't read much in the way of horror. Off the top of my head Dracula and Frankenstein are the only ones that spring to mind. I loved Dracula but was mainly ambivalent towards Frankenstein. I'm still not sure if horror is for me but before diving into something huge by Stephen King I thought The Haunting of Hill House was worth a shot.

The story involves a paranormal investigator, Dr Montague, and three other people, Theodora, Luke, and Eleanor. Theodora and Eleanor were the only people to repsond to an invite from Dr Montague. Luke, who will inherit the house is there to ensure that Dr Montague doesn't do any damage. We find out that Dr Montague invited people who had had previous experience with the paranormal. His reasoning behind this is that they are more likely to elicit a response from any ghostly presence in the house. The house has been chosen as it has a long history of paranormal activity. The level of activity is so high that none of the locals will go near the place and the two domestic staff always leave before it gets dark.

From the very start this book oozes it's gothic fiction credentials. The house is such a big part of the story that it becomes a character in itself. The characters are all well formed but I can't say that I really liked any of them with the exception of the gruff housekeeper, Mrs Dudley. The writing is what I would expect from something literary and although I wasn't hard to read it didn't completely grab me either. The star bits of the book for me were when the haunting events occur. They are really well written and  contain just enough detail to be thrilling without spoon feeding the reader everything. I also really like the ambiguous nature of Theodora's decline towards the end of the book. Jackson answers enough of the questions raised during the story to be satisfying but also leaves enough unanswered to keep the reader wondering. Too often this can go too far one way or the other.

In the end I enjoyed the book but it didn't pull me in as much as I would have liked. I can see why it is held up as a great example of the genre and why  it is a constant source of inspiration for haunted house movies.

3/5 (I liked it).

The Prophet by Kahili Gibran

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis
First published in the 1920's, The Prophet is perhaps the most famous work of religious fiction of the twentieth century, and has sold millions of copies in more than twenty languages. Gibran's Prophet speaks of many things central to daily life: love, marriage, death, beauty, passion, eating, work and play. The spiritual message he imparts, of finding divinity through love, blends eastern mysticism, religious faith and philosophy with simple advice. The Prophet became the bible of 1960s culture and was credited with founding the New Age movement, yet it still continues to inspire people around the world today.
(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This is one of those books that constantly comes up in lists of 'books that will change your life'. It is widely touted as being a spiritual and philosophical classic so I was fairly confident that I would like it.

This is a short book, the Penguin Modern Classics edition I read is only 128 pages long and I read it fairly quickly. Sometimes this is a good thing but sadly not in this case. The prophet in the story is leaving his village and before he leaves he is asked many questions about life by the villagers. These cover the whole gamut of life and still apply to modern life. His answers have spoken to many people throughout history but I found them empty and lacking much thought. Perhaps the book would have worked better for me had more time been spent on each subject. Or even better, less subjects covered, with each being properly explored. The writing style is fine and the question and answer plot device works ok but I don't see the big appeal personally.

2/5 (It was ok).

28 minutes ago, Brian. said:

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis
Four seekers have arrived at the rambling old pile known as Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of psychic phenomena; Theodora, his lovely and lighthearted assistant; Luke, the adventurous future inheritor of the estate; and Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman with a dark past. As they begin to cope with chilling, even horrifying occurrences beyond their control or understanding, they cannot possibly know what lies ahead. For Hill House is gathering its powers - and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.
(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I haven't read much in the way of horror. Off the top of my head Dracula and Frankenstein are the only ones that spring to mind. I loved Dracula but was mainly ambivalent towards Frankenstein. I'm still not sure if horror is for me but before diving into something huge by Stephen King I thought The Haunting of Hill House was worth a shot.

The story involves a paranormal investigator, Dr Montague, and three other people, Theodora, Luke, and Eleanor. Theodora and Eleanor were the only people to repsond to an invite from Dr Montague. Luke, who will inherit the house is there to ensure that Dr Montague doesn't do any damage. We find out that Dr Montague invited people who had had previous experience with the paranormal. His reasoning behind this is that they are more likely to elicit a response from any ghostly presence in the house. The house has been chosen as it has a long history of paranormal activity. The level of activity is so high that none of the locals will go near the place and the two domestic staff always leave before it gets dark.

From the very start this book oozes it's gothic fiction credentials. The house is such a big part of the story that it becomes a character in itself. The characters are all well formed but I can't say that I really liked any of them with the exception of the gruff housekeeper, Mrs Dudley. The writing is what I would expect from something literary and although I wasn't hard to read it didn't completely grab me either. The star bits of the book for me were when the haunting events occur. They are really well written and  contain just enough detail to be thrilling without spoon feeding the reader everything. I also really like the ambiguous nature of Theodora's decline towards the end of the book. Jackson answers enough of the questions raised during the story to be satisfying but also leaves enough unanswered to keep the reader wondering. Too often this can go too far one way or the other.

In the end I enjoyed the book but it didn't pull me in as much as I would have liked. I can see why it is held up as a great example of the genre and why  it is a constant source of inspiration for haunted house movies.

3/5 (I liked it).

I'm glad you liked it but just to point out that this is far from standard fare as far as horror goes and is absolutely nothing like anything Stephen King wrote in horror fiction, some of which I cannot read even as an experienced horror reader and experienced Stephen King reader. Just so that you know.

I found Hill House spectacularly unscary!  Have to say I was rather disappointed, but maybe it is much of the time it was written, now of course the genre is huge, for example I found Michelle Paver's Dark Matter much more frightening.

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I found Hill House spectacularly unscary!  Have to say I was rather disappointed, but maybe it is much of the time it was written, now of course the genre is huge, for example I found Michelle Paver's Dark Matter much more frightening.

Well yes, I didn't find it scary one bit but I did enjoy it. Gothic fiction is a favourite of mine and I have read a lot of horror so didn't expect to be actually scared. It's good story though, in my humble opinion.

23 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm glad you liked it but just to point out that this is far from standard fare as far as horror goes and is absolutely nothing like anything Stephen King wrote in horror fiction, some of which I cannot read even as an experienced horror reader and experienced Stephen King reader. Just so that you know.

I expect Stephen King to be very different, I probably worded what I was trying to say poorly. As a genre I'm still just dipping my toes into horror so I'm trying to read some of the shorter books before diving into the huge ones. I used Stephen King as an example because I know he has written some monster sized books. Thanks for the heads up though. The King books that you cannot read, is that down to the content or something else?

45 minutes ago, Brian. said:

I expect Stephen King to be very different, I probably worded what I was trying to say poorly. As a genre I'm still just dipping my toes into horror so I'm trying to read some of the shorter books before diving into the huge ones. I used Stephen King as an example because I know he has written some monster sized books. Thanks for the heads up though. The King books that you cannot read, is that down to the content or something else?

I see. I just didn't want you to be shocked by the difference, Hill House is very innocent compared to Stephen King and I thought I'd warn you so that you can break yourself (for want of a better expression) in gently.

As for the Stephen Kings that I can't read, it was indeed the content. I picked up Misery when it was published and read the first page and decided that it wasn't for me - saw the film though and I was right! Also couldn't get very far with Christine for the same reason and got a little further with The Green Mile and thought, nope, this isn't for me. Did not watch those films, though.

I did, however, manage to read Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, which is the sickest book I've ever read bar none (it's the first Hannibal Lecter) and I wish, now, that I hadn't. Went on to read the other two too and wish I hadn't. Watched Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon films, which were tame in comparison. 

None of that means that they were bad books, of course, just my take on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I see. I just didn't want you to be shocked by the difference, Hill House is very innocent compared to Stephen King and I thought I'd warn you so that you can break yourself (for want of a better expression) in gently.

As for the Stephen Kings that I can't read, it was indeed the content. I picked up Misery when it was published and read the first page and decided that it wasn't for me - saw the film though and I was right! Also couldn't get very far with Christine for the same reason and got a little further with The Green Mile and thought, nope, this isn't for me. Did not watch those films, though.

I did, however, manage to read Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, which is the sickest book I've ever read bar none (it's the first Hannibal Lecter) and I wish, now, that I hadn't. Went on to read the other two too and wish I hadn't. Watched Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon films, which were tame in comparison. 

None of that means that they were bad books, of course, just my take on them.

Thanks for the insight. I've read Red Dragon and the content didn't bother me so I should be fine with the content of Stephen King books.

• Like 1

Project Hail Mary by Andy Wier

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis
Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission - and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn't know that. He can't even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it.

All he knows is that he's been asleep for a very, very long time. And he's just been awakened to find himself millions of miles from home, with nothing but two corpses for company.

His crewmates dead, his memories fuzzily returning, Ryland realizes that an impossible task now confronts him. Hurtling through space on this tiny ship, it's up to him to puzzle out an impossible scientific mystery-and conquer an extinction-level threat to our species.

And with the clock ticking down and the nearest human being light-years away, he's got to do it all alone.

Or does he?

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I suspect I am a bit unusual amongst those reading this book as I haven't read The Martian but I have read Artemis.  I also haven't seen the movie version of The Martian but I am aware that it has generally positive reviews.

At the start of the book we meet Ryland Grace, a one time scientist who has changed careers and now works a science teacher for young kids. This is a job he really enjoys but there is a feeling that he has taken to easy route in life. I personally don't see anything wrong with this but others feel differently. The story then jumps forwards in time to Grace coming round in a spaceship not knowing how or why he got there.

As the book continues, the timeline jumps between the past and the present, slowly revealing how and why he got there. We also find out how the earth is under threat and the plans to save it. The book involves a lot of science and I can see some people getting bogged down in the technical details at times. I thought this was ok but it did feel like Weir was trying to show how clever he was at times. The rest of my thoughts will go into spoiler tags because it will reveal some of what happens later in the book.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed most of the book until we got to finding Rocky. We seemed to hit a bit of a wall at this point and the story really slowed down. I also felt that when Grace first leaves Rocky and then returns to him was a wasted opportunity. It could have been used to explore putting the needs of the many over the needs of the few and I felt that Weir took the easy route out here.

I was a little disappointed to discover that all of the characters are pretty stereotypical of their nationality. There is a lot of humour in the story and although some moments were funny, on the whole I thought it often missed the mark. If all of this sounds negative, it isn't meant to be. Despite the flaws I did enjoy this book and I found myself picking it up whenever I had a spare 5 minutes. I just feel that it could have been better but that the sci-fi has been written down to appeal to a wider audience. Having said that, I know a lot of people love Weir's books and I tend to prefer more mind bending stuff like Blake Crouch so perhaps this one wasn't quite the thing for me.

3/5 (I enjoyed it).

The Woman Who Fooled the World by Beau Donelly & Nick Toscano

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis

Belle Gibson convinced the world she had healed herself of terminal brain cancer by eating a healthy diet. She built a global business based on her story. There was just one problem: she never had cancer in the first place.

In 2015, journalists uncovered the truth behind Gibson’s lies. This hero of the wellness world, with over 200,000 followers, international book deals, and a best-selling mobile app, was a fraud. She had lied about having cancer — to her family and friends, to her business partners and publishers, and to the hundreds of thousands of people, including genuine cancer survivors, who were inspired by her Instagram posts.

Written by the two journalists who uncovered the details of Gibson’s deception, The Woman Who Fooled the World tracks the 23-year-old's rise to fame and fall from grace. Told through interviews with the people who know her best, it explores the lure of alternative cancer treatments, exposes the darkness at the heart of the wellness and ‘clean eating’ movements, and reveals just how easy it is to manipulate people on social media.

With the idea of ‘clean eating’ now routinely debunked by dietary experts, and growing scepticism about the authenticity of what we read online, The Woman Who Fooled the World is a timely and important book that answers not just how, but why, Gibson was able to fool so many.

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I remember hearing about this story on the news when it broke and like many people felt disgusted that someone would pretend to have cancer for financial gain. What I didn't realise until I had read this book was that Gibson never went to prison for what she did. She has been found guilty of breaking consumer laws and fined $500,000 but has paid very little of the fine.

As well as her crimes, this book also looks at the wider 'wellness' industry as a whole. It also looks at other cases and why some people commit these crimes. As expected, a lot of research went into not only the initial newspaper story but also this book. It is really well written and explores some of the harder questions like 'why did no one question her claims when there was no evidence she was ill?' I have to say that the publisher of her cookbook, Penguin, don't come out of the story particularly well. They did no due diligence or background checks and played a big part in enabling her to carry out her fraud.

Although the book doesn't take aim at social media it serves as a timely reminder that a lot of what we see presented on the likes of Instagram and Facebook is often inaccurate at best. Pretty much every post by someone with a big following has some kind of ulterior motive. Some are validly promoting there own work but many are paid to advertise and push products. This is particularly prevalent in 'Wellness' circles.

4/5 (I really enjoyed it).

• Like 1

Fighting for the French Foreign Legion by Alex Lochrie

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis

The author describes how he joined the French Foreign Legion, without being able to speak any French and very close to the age limit. He takes the reader through the vigorous selection procedure, the relentless recruit regime and then elite Second Parachute Regiment s training in Corsica. We learn about the ethos and strict discipline of the Foreign Legion. He describes his fellow legionnaires drawn from many backgrounds and nations. Having won his kepi and paratroop wings he served across Africa and the Middle East, taking part in Operation DESERT STORM (fighting Saddam Hussein s Republican Guard), peace keeping operations in Sarajevo and Bosnia and in former French colonies such as Chad and the Central African Republic. He graphically describes the action and appalling conditions of the local population. Published by Pen and Sword Books.

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

There are plenty of military biographies out there but not many about the French Foreign Legion. The Legion will take volunteers from any country in the world (except officially from France) and after serving for a three years can apply for French citizenship. It is often believed that the Legion is only attractive to criminals and those with something to hide but this isn't actually the case. The Legion will not accept those with a serious criminal record and certainly not anyone wanted by Interpol or AWOL from another branch of the military.

Anyway, back to the book. Alex Lochrie is unusual in that he joined the Legion at the age of 38 despite already having a career as a police officer. He had reached a low point in his life and felt like he wanted a challenge and that the Legion would be the perfect challenge. I had hoped Lochrie would talk more about the difficulties he faced as an older recruit but he doesn't really go into much detail.

The writing style is very matter of fact and I was unsure if I would get on with it but after about 20 pages I got used to it and had no issues. There isn't anything that really sets this book apart but it is a good read. I particularly enjoyed the sections about the time Lochrie spent with UN peacekeeping troops in Sarajevo. It's fair to say that he isn't a fan of the journalist Jeremy Bowen or some of the things he reported. At the end of the book Lochrie talks about the way the Legion treats its soldier when injured or after retiring. It's fair to say that they are treated far better than the British government treats our troops.

This was an enjoyable book from a small publisher who I haven't come across before.

hmmm It, I'll Start Tomorrow by Action Bronson

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis

An entirely original and empowering memoir meets self-help guide from the bestselling author, rapper, artist, and chef Action Bronson
From the New York Times bestselling author, chef-turned-rapper, and host of Viceland’s hmmm, That’s Delicious and The Untitled Action Bronson Show, hmmm It, I’ll Start Tomorrow is a brutally honest memoir about struggles with weight, food addiction, and the journey to self-acceptance. In his signature voice, Action Bronson shares all that he’s learned in the past decade to help you help yourself. This isn’t a road map to attaining a so-called perfect body. Instead, Bronson will share his journey to find confidence, keep the negative vibes at bay, stay sane, chill out, and not look in the mirror hoping to see anyone but yourself. hmmm It, I’ll Start Tomorrow is not about losing weight—it’s about being and feeling excellent regardless of your size or shape. It’s about living hmmming healthy, period.

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This is a bit of an odd one for me. I've had this on my wishlist since it was published in late 2021 but I'm not 100% sure why. I remember reading some positive reviews about it so that must be the reason why I added to my list. Before reading the book I only had a passing knowledge of who Action Bronson was. I had seen him on a Vice YouTube video and I knew he had a connection with the music industry but that was it. 

As it turns out Action Bronson is a rapper, a music style I'm not particularly familiar with. This isn't really an issue for me as I like to read about people from all walks of life. The inside flap of the book says that it is a no-holds-barred chronicle of his struggles with weight and food addiction, and his journey to self-acceptance. All of this sounded great and I was looking forward to reading about how someone with an Albanian Muslim father and an American Jewish mother go started in the rap game. 

Unfortunately the flap lied to me. This isn't a memoir but a collection of random stories from Bronson's life. I'll start with the smaller issues and then I'll address the big issue with this book for me The first gripe is that Bronson contradicts himself a lot. He is at pains to say that he doesn't care that he is a big (fat) guy and that he wouldn't want to change his looks. But then in the very next chapter he talks about his 'steroids years' where he spent his free time working out for hours every day. He also says that despite being a big guy he is really fit and healthy but then 50 pages later says he has trouble breathing which gets better when he loses weight. I suspect his breathing issues come from the fact that he smokes a lot of weed. If someone choses to smoke weed, as far as I'm concerned that's their choice and I don't care. However, smoking anything on a regular basis is not good for you health. 

Talking of weed, I do have an issue with one thing he likes to do. When he needs to think he like to go for a drive and smoke weed. I won't judge you for smoking weed but I will judge you for being in control of a vehicle under the influence of any substance. This isn't my biggest problem with the book though. My biggest issue is the writing (or lack of) style. The title page has a footnote which reads 'As Told to Rachel Wharton' and it reads just like an audio recording which has been typed up. When put in print, Bronson's style of speech borders on the unreadable for me. Here is a brief sample so you can get an idea of what the whole book is like.

I always smoke weed freely, always have and always will: I don't care what other people say, or if the police stop me. I would always be like , Oh, you're crazy. I was always that guy, 100 percent. I'll just light the blunt anywhere. I've only not gotten away with it one time in high school, when I was smoking a blunt by Bayside High, a story I've told before. I got bagged up walking the back streets of Bayside: these detectives were set up in a Mercury Villager minivan with a baby seat, using tricks like they were trying to find a serial killer, but on two kids smoking weed.

A little more thought on the formatting of the sentences to make them more readable would have gone a long way. The final bugbear of mine was the fact that almost every page had a footnote on it. If you need that many footnotes in a book then you are doing it wrong.

It's fair to say that I really didn't like this one and I only pushed on with it as it comes in at a relatively short 172 pages. It does get a fair amount of positive reviews on Goodreads so if you are a fan of Bronson then you'll probably enjoy it far more than I did.

1/5 (I didn't like it).

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 3:57 PM, Brian. said:

Fighting for the French Foreign Legion by Alex Lochrie

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis

The author describes how he joined the French Foreign Legion, without being able to speak any French and very close to the age limit. He takes the reader through the vigorous selection procedure, the relentless recruit regime and then elite Second Parachute Regiment s training in Corsica. We learn about the ethos and strict discipline of the Foreign Legion. He describes his fellow legionnaires drawn from many backgrounds and nations. Having won his kepi and paratroop wings he served across Africa and the Middle East, taking part in Operation DESERT STORM (fighting Saddam Hussein s Republican Guard), peace keeping operations in Sarajevo and Bosnia and in former French colonies such as Chad and the Central African Republic. He graphically describes the action and appalling conditions of the local population. Published by Pen and Sword Books.

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

There are plenty of military biographies out there but not many about the French Foreign Legion. The Legion will take volunteers from any country in the world (except officially from France) and after serving for a three years can apply for French citizenship. It is often believed that the Legion is only attractive to criminals and those with something to hide but this isn't actually the case. The Legion will not accept those with a serious criminal record and certainly not anyone wanted by Interpol or AWOL from another branch of the military.

Anyway, back to the book. Alex Lochrie is unusual in that he joined the Legion at the age of 38 despite already having a career as a police officer. He had reached a low point in his life and felt like he wanted a challenge and that the Legion would be the perfect challenge. I had hoped Lochrie would talk more about the difficulties he faced as an older recruit but he doesn't really go into much detail.

The writing style is very matter of fact and I was unsure if I would get on with it but after about 20 pages I got used to it and had no issues. There isn't anything that really sets this book apart but it is a good read. I particularly enjoyed the sections about the time Lochrie spent with UN peacekeeping troops in Sarajevo. It's fair to say that he isn't a fan of the journalist Jeremy Bowen or some of the things he reported. At the end of the book Lochrie talks about the way the Legion treats its soldier when injured or after retiring. It's fair to say that they are treated far better than the British government treats our troops.

This was an enjoyable book from a small publisher who I haven't come across before.

I'll have to look this out, thanks. Not my cup of tea but I reckon my husband will thoroughly enjoy this.

1 hour ago, France said:

I'll have to look this out, thanks. Not my cup of tea but I reckon my husband will thoroughly enjoy this.

If you'd been in the UK I would have been happy to send it to you for free.

On 1/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, Brian. said:

hmmm It, I’ll Start Tomorrow is a brutally honest memoir about struggles with weight, food addiction, and the journey to self-acceptance.

I’ve never heard of this man before but I already know from your review that I’d find him unbearably annoying! From the sound of the contradictions, it’s not so ‘brutally honest’ either… 

I'm glad to see you enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes collection though! The Redheaded League is one of my favourites too. That and the Speckled Band (although it is quite creepy!). 

• 2 weeks later...

Never Send Flowers by John Gardner

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis

In different corners of the world four high-profile figures are assassinated in less than a week. Nobody links the deaths but one thing is certain: each of them has been stalked, sought out and killed with care and preparation. Then a sinister connection is established: a single, blood-tipped rose is sent to each funeral and an unremarkable female agent is murdered in Switzerland. When MI5 come to MI6 to ask for help M brings in his best. At first, a weekend abroad seems tempting to James Bond: especially when he's paired with Flicka von Grusse, a gorgeous Swiss intelligence officer. But this is a perilous assignment that starts with the mysterious actor David Dragonpol and leads them to Athens, Milan and on to EuroDisney ... and an explosive climax.

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

Book number 13/16 in the John Gardner Bond series. On the whole the series has been hit and miss, more misses than hits unfortunately but it was never going to live up to Ian Fleming's work. The later books in the series are particularly bad and as a result I have thought about not carrying on but I only have 4 books to go so I may as well stick it out.

This story carries on Gardner's tendency to put Bond up against a sole adversary as opposed to state espionage. I much prefer when Bond is up against a state as thats how spycraft tends to work. David Dragonpol is one of the better bad guys Gardner has written in the series as there is depth to him that is often missing. The plot is pretty good although there are quite a few lucky coincidences along the way which help Bond out. The final target of Dragonpol at the end of the book was an interesting choice but was underdone in my opinion.

I found giving this a rating a bit tricky because it works perfectly fine as a thriller but it just isn't a spy novel. It is certainly better than the likes of Brokenclaw and The Man from Barbarossa, but that isn't saying much.

2.5/5 (It was ok, but it's not a Bond novel).

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis
Book Two in the Magnificent Dune Chronicles--the Bestselling Science Fiction Adventure of All Time

Dune Messiah continues the story of Paul Atreides, better known--and feared--as the man christened Muad'Dib. As Emperor of the Known Universe, he possesses more power than a single man was ever meant to wield. Worshipped as a religious icon by the fanatical Fremens, Paul faces the enmity of the political houses he displaced when he assumed the throne--and a conspiracy conducted within his own sphere of influence.

And even as House Atreides begins to crumble around him from the machinations of his enemies, the true threat to Paul comes to his lover, Chani, and the unborn heir to his family's dynasty...

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I read the first book in the Dune series about two and a half years ago because I was determined to read the book before the movie came out. On the whole I enjoyed the book but I didn't love it and as a result I have only just got round to picking up the second book in the series.

Book two starts with a significant jump in the chronology. Paul is now emperor of the universe. He is also considered to be a god by the Fremen and he happens to be the richest man in the universe as well. All is not rosy though. To gain this power there was a jihad in which 61 billion have perished and there is a political plot to remove him. His home life isn't any less complicated either. He is married to the Princess Irulan, a marriage of convenience, and he also has a concubine, Chani. Irulan wants a child but Paul won't allow it. Chani wants a child but is struggling to conceive.

To sum up my thoughts in one quick phrase, 'it was ok'. Initially I was really enthused by the opening 50 or so pages but once we got deeper into the story my enthusiasm waned. I really could have done without the Tleilaxu stuff. The ghola just felt really dumb to me and had the story left that part out I would have been happier. There isn't a huge amount of action but to be honest I thought that was a good thing. This felt like a natural progression of the story after the action packed first book.

I will get round to reading the next book, Children of Dune at some point, but I'm not sure when.

2/5 (It was ok).

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

519NRR9R9ML.jpg

Synopsis
A serial murderer known only by a grotesquely apt nickname—Buffalo Bill—is stalking women. He has a purpose, but no one can fathom it, for the bodies are discovered in different states. Clarice Starling, a young trainee at the FBI Academy, is surprised to be summoned by Jack Crawford, chief of the Bureau's Behavioral Science section. Her assignment: to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter—Hannibal the Cannibal—who is kept under close watch in the Baltimore State Hospital for the Criminally Insane.

Dr. Lecter is a former psychiatrist with a grisly history, unusual tastes, and an intense curiosity about the darker corners of the mind. His intimate understanding of the killer and of Clarice herself form the core of "The Silence of the Lambs"—an ingenious, masterfully written book and an unforgettable classic of suspense fiction.

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This is the second book in the Hannibal Lector series and probably the best known due to the fantastic movie. I read the first book in the series, Red Dragon, in May 2021 and really liked it. I was a little worried about how this would fare because the movie is one of my favourites. I'm happy to say that my fears were unrealised, the book really stands on its own.

The plot and writing is great but the one thing that really stood out to me with this book is the strength of the characters. Pretty much the only link to the first book is Jack Crawford and unusually for a series of books he isn't the main character. Despite being more of a supporting character he is as well thought out and written as Lector and Starling. This pattern remains there for all the characters. Even the peripheral ones are properly formed, well considered, and uncliched. Even Buffalo Bill has nuance and isn't just purely evil. Obviously having seen the movie multiple times helps bed characters in the mind but I still believe the book excels in this regard.

It's fair to say that I loved this book. The plot is complicated enough without being convoluted and it is graphic without being gratuitous. Another thing that really stood out to me is the careful way it handled the discussion of trans people between the FBI and medical experts. Baring in mind that this was written in 1988 it is pretty forward thinking in that regard and really avoids demonising a whole community for a cheap plot device.

I look forward to reading the next in the series, Hannibal.

5/5 (It was excellent).

I read Hannibal and wasn't that impressed by it, I haven't read "Lambs" but did enjoy the film, thought it was superb.  Have you seen "Manhunter", which is the first film of "Lambs" and stars Brian Cox as Lektor, it's also very good.

11 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I read Hannibal and wasn't that impressed by it, I haven't read "Lambs" but did enjoy the film, thought it was superb.  Have you seen "Manhunter", which is the first film of "Lambs" and stars Brian Cox as Lektor, it's also very good.

I haven’t seen Manhunter, thanks for the info, I’ve added it to my ever growing Watchlist. I’m not sure I’ll be able to see William Petersen as anyone other than Gil Grissom from CSI though. 😀

4 hours ago, Brian. said:

I haven’t seen Manhunter, thanks for the info, I’ve added it to my ever growing Watchlist. I’m not sure I’ll be able to see William Petersen as anyone other than Gil Grissom from CSI though. 😀

I've seen that one as well and William Peterson is very good - it helps that he's also much, much younger than when he appeared in CSI. He looks like a different person!