Another series/serial question

Mia

This is similar to Jenmck's thread, but I don't think it's quite the same. She was talking about books which feature the same character(s), but are each a separate story, like murder mysteries (I think), whereas I want to talk about books that are one story which continues over two or more books, like Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I don't know whether you would call them a series or a serial. :( Anyway...

What I wanted to ask is: has anyone ever got really fed up with a serial but has carried on reading even though they're not enjoying the books, purely to find out what happens in the end?

I'm at this stage with Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom books. I know they're kid's books, so I shouldn't really be complaining, but to me they are incredibly samey and quite dull, and yet I keep on buying them!! There are seven of the damn things and I'm up to number five, and I'd quite happily give up except that I want to know what happens in the end! Does anyone else do this, or is it just me? :)

What I wanted to ask is: has anyone ever got really fed up with a serial but has carried on reading even though they're not enjoying the books, purely to find out what happens in the end?

Not with a serial, no. When I get fed up with a stand alone book, I'll skim through to the end, so I can see how it finishes. With a serial though, I just stop reading, though I do intend to finish it later. I stopped reading the His Dark Materials and The Black Magician Trilogy, both after the second book. I do plan on picking them up later, because I'm curious to see how they end. But if I'm fed up with reading something, I just can't force myself to read it any more, no matter how curious I am. :(

I actually really enjoyed the first two books in His Dark Materials, but didn't enjoy the last one.. for various reasons. But I did read it, because I wanted to know how he was going to finish.

Same here, which is why it says under my name that it's what I'm currently reading but I've actually read a number of books since I started it.

I'll go back and finish it at some point but I just got so boooored with it :(

I think that's the first time I've ever done it too

I know that strictly speaking they are kids' books which I usually enjoy reading but after reading five of the Series of Unfortunate Events I gave up. The endless 'this is not a happy story' and the 'oh look its Olaf, this time disguised as whatever' were getting on my nerves. Actually, this happened after the third book already but I thought I persevere. Anyway, I gave up in the end but to be fair, my daughter has read them all and thinks they are great! Maybe I am just too old for kids' books :(.