Your opinions please

nomdeplum

Hi, this is my first post and it might seem quite a silly question but i wondered are the books by charles dickens meant for children? It's just i had a situation occur after i went on holiday with some friends that made me feel quite stupid and uncomfortable

I took some books with me by charles dickens that i had got on sale for

Penguin publish both children's and adult's books and you certainly shouldn't feel stupid or uncomfortable for reading them!

In fact, Penguin publish books across every conceivable genre, including a very large range of classics; I have quite a few of them myself (I'm reading Penguin's Read Red version of Emma right now!) and I often prefer to buy Penguin-branded books as opposed to other publishers. They usually have quite nice covers and are reasonably priced.

And by the way, there is no shame in reading children's books either! There has been a bit of discussion on this forum lately relating to this subject, and I think we're all in agreement that just because a book is aimed at children, it shouldn't preclude adults from enjoying the story just as much.

You will find a lot of Harry Potter fans here, and last month a number of us read Anne of Green Gables for the reading circle. Also this year, I've read Peter Pan and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, among others. I feel that reading these books as an adult gives me a better appreciation for them and I'm proud to tell anyone who'll listen that I love reading children's books!

Last but not least, welcome to the forum :lol: There is an introductions thread that you can post in if you like, and you can tell us what you like to read. Did you end up getting through both Dickens' novels? I read and loved A Tale of Two Cities and I have Nicholas Nickleby on my pile of books to be read.

It's a fair question, my answer would be, "it is only stupid if you feel it is stupid."

I'm not a young man and I've a masters degree and sure enough: I'm reading National Velvet by Enid Bagnold right now. Certainly I read other things and sometimes have to drag myself through offerings from text books and I will say that a children's classic is quite a relief!

Personally, I take some pride (not a lot, but some) in that I have a range of tastes and I try to be fearless in my choices. This might lead me to a book oft banned like Lady Chatterley's Lover or a popular best seller like The Kite Runner or even Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson.

I guess it's like that master guy in the Kung Fu television show when Caine asks his master how can he hear the grasshopper. If someone were to ask me why I'm reading a children's classic I would answer, "How is that you can you not?"

Welcome to the forum ~ all questions regarding books will be met with much opinion! Enjoy.

I read LOADS of children's books, both classic and contemporary, no matter who the publisher happens to be. Penguin publishes a very wide range of books for children and adults alike, so just because it's a penguin book, doesn't necessarily mean it's aimed at the younger market.

And I have to agree with the others - it's only stupid if you think it is. We've read a couple of children's books in our reading circle (Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery just this month, and The Thief of Always by Clive Barker a couple of months back). I nominated another children's classic (The Wind in the Willows) for the next reading circle, and although it wasn't chosen, there were members who were very interested in reading it as a group - ans they were all adults! :lol:

Your friends were being silly, not you. As far as I know, none of Dickens's books would really be considered "children's" books, especially not the two you mentioned. They are classics, and I don't know of a single child who could get through them.

As for penguin, I am in two upper-level college English classes right now, and almost every edition they recommend of each classic is a Penguin book. Your friends sound pretty ignorant! :lol:

I think your friend may have been confusing penguin with puffin. I think puffin is the arm of penguin that publishes for children.

The only Dickens that could be classed as a children's story I can think of would be A Christmas Carol.

I love reading children's literature as an adult, like many people here.

I agree with everything that has been said here, but would just add that if you have read "classics" like Charles Dickens you will be better informed should you be asked about those books by children, your own, or nieces and nephews, or friends' children. You will look far from stupid then.

Dickens' books are certainly not children's books. Some are very harrowing and incredibly complex.The films may be aimed at children in some ways but I don't think children would fully understand them.

As for penguin books I thought they were children's books until recently because I had a lot of penguin children's books as a child and I haven't seen many adult ones. Maybe that is why your friends thought they were children's books..

I think because most of Dickens's books are fairly wordy and lengthy that they would be more suitable for adults than children - many of them were serialised as stories in newspapers I think - maybe someone else can verify this - so were probably aimed at an adult readership at the time. Having said that I remember reading both A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist at secondary school when I was 11 or 12.

I don't think it matters what age you are when you read them - welcome to the site:)

hi and welcome to the forum- charles dickens' books are definitely not children's book- please dont feel stupid even if you do read children's books- harry potter started out under that heading and adults pushed the series into the best sellers list- books are to be treasured and loved no matter what category there placed in- so just enjoy... and again a great big welcome to the friendliest book club you will ever find anywhere- carm:mrgreen:

Hello and welcome

Dicken's novels are definately not children's books - as stated already they were originally serialised in Household Words at a time when stories were often read out loud to others (families, workers in factories etc) and so would have been enjoyed by all. I agree that his stories are complex - my particular favourites Bleak House and Dombey and Son would fall into that category - they were also excellent representations of a changing society (eg. Dombey and Son dealt with the changes brought about by the expansion of the railways).

I've always understood Puffin to be the children's section of Penguin - I have a few 'young Puffins' in my bookcase.

Most importantly however, you should read what you enjoy regardless of genre, age group etc.

Happy reading.

Judy:D

Penguin is definitely not a children's publisher. I don't think Dickens' books are children's books either. I don't think I've ever read a Dickens' book all the way through (though there are some I have attempted), but I do recall them being quite wordy and not really easy to read (for me, anyway :lol:).

Either way though, you should read what you enjoy. I like to occassionally revisit books of my childhood - Roald Dahl, and Enid Blyton for example. Nothing wrong with it. :roll: