Have your 'tastes' changed since being a member here?

Michelle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say my taste in books has changed, however I have tried some new authors that I might not have if it wasn't for here.

:D

I would never have read Anne of Green Gables or The Thief of Always or any of the other 6 books that I picked up in the last months and added to be TBR heap. Thanks:)

i dont think my tastes ahve changed- im still pretty much a fiction person- i've gotten exposed to authors and books i ordinarily wouldn't have so that's a good thing- carm:readingtwo:

Mine certainly have, although I was already gearing up for a change when I joined (it was actually one of my reasons for joining in the first place - expanding my reading horizons!).

Since joining the forum, I have branched out into historical fiction, the classics and foreign authors, and have embarked on many challenges, all of which I'm enjoying immensely. I also adore the reading circle - I know there are one or two months I've missed, but I've taken part in most of them and have discovered some great reads through that, as well as enjoying discussing them with everyone else here. :D

Some of the authors i have discovered since joining here are:

Stuart MacBride

Karin Slaughter

Michel Faber

Jodi Picoult

Torey Hayden

Philippa Gregory

and our own KW to name but a few, so yes my horizons have definately broadened and my TBR pile is huge thanks to you guys :D

I think I spent too much spare time messing about with a computer in the last 8 years.

Me too!

Computer games get you no where but they sure are addicting. I don't know if Oblomov is talking about games - but, wow - it's suddenly 2007.

I'm not sure "tastes" is the right word but I sure have been influenced by this forum. I think the main thing, for me, is that I am more open to trying different books. This includes Kids Books, I'm so glad I read Black Beauty in the Reader's Circle because it showed that it's okay for an adult to still enjoy Kiddie Fare - leading me to Anne of Green Gables, National Velvet, The Secret Garden and the like. It's wonderful.

The other big plus in changing my "tastes", is reading more novels and stepping out of my comfy genres like mystery and fantasy. The Kite Runner was a real treat.

So let's just say that my horizons have been expanded - I always had good taste....and tasted good!

Before I joined here I never really looked twice at modern fiction; not because I wasn't interested - just too busy reading classics.

Now I've been inspired to try authors that I would never have looked at before, such as:

Margaret Atwood

Michael Chabon

Wilkie Collins

Mark Haddon

Daphne du Maurier

David Mitchell

Maggie O'Farrell

Of all the authors listed above, I've still only read Atwood, but I at least have the others sitting on my shelves and will be diving into them sooner rather than later.

I've also found BCF handy because I'm 'pushed' along to read certain books. For example, I had Lady Chatterley's Lover on my TBR pile and wanted to read it but because it wasn't high up the list, realistically I knew it would be years before I got to it. When it was chosen for the reading circle, I got the nudge I needed to pick it up.

Also through the reading circle, I got to read Carmilla (which I'd never heard of, but loved), Black Beauty (which I didn't love, but at least I've read it and I don't regret it), and Anne of Green Gables (which I loved and will be reading the rest of the series as a result).

I've started reading fantasy which I've never really done much of before and am finding it very enjoyable.

I'm really glad you feel that way about children's books, Wrath. I ended up being involved in a bit of a disagreement on another book forum about this subject. I've read a number of children's books as an adult, including The Wind in the Willows, The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, The Railway Children and several others and enjoyed them all immensely ...in fact I doubt that I would have enjoyed them any more as a child.

Those arguing against, felt that children's books are for children and it was showing a great deal of immaturity to even contemplate reading them when you're 'grown-up'. I think the older you get the less you worry about such things and those who felt self-conscious had insecurity issues.

That's exactly right Poppy! You can never be to old to enjoy good story-telling as far as I'm concerned.

I never read many of the classic children's stories such as the Wind in the Willows when I was young, but I look forward to reading them as an adult. This year alone, I've re-read Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, and read (for the first time) Black Beauty, Alice Through The Looking-Glass, Peter Pan and Anne Of Green Gables.

I've also bought The Chronicles Of Narnia (never read before), I Am David and The Secret Garden (to re-read), and I'll be chasing up plenty of others.

I've started reading fantasy which I've never really done much of before and am finding it very enjoyable.

I'm really glad you feel that way about children's books, Wrath. I ended up being involved in a bit of a disagreement on another book forum about this subject. I've read a number of children's books as an adult, including The Wind in the Willows, The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, The Railway Children and several others and enjoyed them all immensely ...in fact I doubt that I would have enjoyed them any more as a child.

Those arguing against, felt that children's books are for children and it was showing a great deal of immaturity to even contemplate reading them when you're 'grown-up'. I think the older you get the less you worry about such things and those who felt self-conscious had insecurity issues.

Well, you can tell THEM that it's called a "children's classic" and don't leave out the classic! A classic book is just that; and is sure to be very well written. :eek2:

In my most humble of opinions, I think The Secret Garden is one of the best books I've ever read as an adult! Everything you want: pacing, style, suspense, anticipation, surprise and character are all developed with a sophistication that rivals most of the "adult fare" I've come across in my ... uh ... adulthood.

AND - if you are a man like myself, toting a children's classic to the salon or a restaurant is sure to get you mega-attention from the ladies who loved that book as a kid. Me, being a rough and tumble macho man, happens to enjoy said attention...

I'm really glad you feel that way about children's books, Wrath. I ended up being involved in a bit of a disagreement on another book forum about this subject... Those arguing against, felt that children's books are for children and it was showing a great deal of immaturity to even contemplate reading them when you're 'grown-up'.

I'll admit to always loving children's books (I even ended up reviewing for a kids' books site for a while, till it sadly closed). Still, I've branched into classic children's books now too, which has widened things up nicely for me. :D

I don't think my tastes have changed since I joined the forum, though they have changed a lot in the last 5 - 10 years. I used to only read thrillers and serial killer type novels, but now I find them very hard to read. It just seems like the same story, told a different way. :D

Since joining this forum I've been introduced to a lot of books that never would have caught my attention before, but I think my tastes are pretty much same as before I joined.

My tastes it seems will always lie in fantasy. I constantly find myself day dreaming about Hogwarts and Middle Earth, but I have discovered many new authors since being here, such as Maggie O'Farrell, Raven Hart and Holly A. Harvey. Raven Harts books have got me interested in that world. Empress Orchid was a step into a different culture, and I love the reading circle too, when I get the chance to take part.

Well, you can tell THEM that it's called a "children's classic" and don't leave out the classic! A classic book is just that; and is sure to be very well written. :o

A very good point. Now why didn't I think of that? :D

AND - if you are a man like myself, toting a children's classic to the salon or a restaurant is sure to get you mega-attention from the ladies who loved that book as a kid. Me, being a rough and tumble macho man, happens to enjoy said attention...

:lol:

lol. That'll get them every time :eek2:

Good to see guys secure enough in their own masculinity that they're comfortable doing that.

Just so I don't get into trouble for going off topic .....I've discovered quite a few books that I always meant to read and have forgotten about. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and To Kill a Mockingbird are just two examples.

I never used to like teenage chick-lit much before becoming a member here, but now I've came to like things like Stella etc and Ally's World, both series by Karen McCombie. Some of her books are quite good!