Sue Grafton - The Alphabet Series

Has anybody read these books and if so what are your thoughts on them.

I have just finished A is for Alibi and was really looking forward to it as I wanted to find a new series of books to read. I was disappointed though. I didn't warm to the female lead at all and found my mind wondering off a lot. It's also written in the first person which is not my favourite style at all.

I can't decide wether to have another go with the next in the series so would be interested in peoples views.

I've read them all up to about O. Then I got stuck as I couldn't get the next in the alphabet

Stick with it I'd say, Kinsey is pretty interesting and they do get better. If I recall, I didn't think the first was fantastic either but attempted the next

I enjoyed the series although the last few have not been as well put together or maybe I just tired of the format. Kinsey does grow on you as Grafton builds the character book by book. Some are better than others.

The last one I read S is for Silence....I didn't finish. I just got bogged down in confusing minutia and got to the point I simply did not care.

All that said, I've pre-ordered T is for...can't remember what at the moment. :) Once more into the breach.....

I admit to reading all of these as well, and also forgetting which is which...and also being less enamored toward the end. The last one (P?), which I actually listened to in the car (the reader is fantastic), felt a little contrived. It still kept my attention the whole time, thanks in part to the reader.

I think of V.I. Warshawski (Paretsky), Kay Scarpetta (Cornwell), and Stephanie Plum (Evanovich) as being in the same vein..and sometimes I just need a tough chick in my life!

• 1 year later...
I'm up to E is for Evidence on these books! Is anyone else reading them at the mo?

I tried a couple of these books a while ago, but had trouble getting into them and gave up, haven`t read any of hers since.

I am up to H. Enjoyed them to begin with but now finding them a bit tedious - how many life and death situations can a girl get into.... However I will continue with them - they are short and easy reading, I find, so I can slot them in around more lengthy books. Added to which I have upto N on my to be read shelf!

• 3 weeks later...
I think certain books you can read, enjoy and instantly forget!

It's definitely the case for me as I knew I'd read one of these, but had to check back on Read it Swap It where I traded it and I found out it was A for Alibi - I haven't got a clue what it was about though and I can only of read it in 2007.

• 3 months later...