Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have lost my yearning for reading, surely it is a temporary thing. :) Probably due to other things going on in my life and a little stress. :(

Sorry to hear that, but it does happen to all of us from time to time.  Hope things improve for you soon.  :empathy:

I have lost my yearning for reading, surely it is a temporary thing. :) Probably due to other things going on in my life and a little stress. :(

Same here Muggles :(  I'm trying an Agatha Christie to help me on my way. Hope things improve for you soon too :empathy: 

• 4 weeks later...

I took 2 weeks off from BCF to get my reading mojo back. I think it has been accomplished with the following reads:

27. The Eye of Zoltar (The Chronicles of Kazam ) by Jasper Fforde – 8.5/10 …this is the best book of the 3 in the series. It also introduced 2 additional characters that are interesting and likeable.. There were however, a few losses of people that were likeable (understatement). :) The storyline had some significant changes and opens the door to many story options. I hope the 4th book comes out soon. Jasper is getting where he will not be able to keep up with all the different “series” that he has going, and all of them are good. The Chronicles of Kazam is becoming one of my favorites series by Fforde. I really like Jennifer Strange and the 2 new people are also going to be favorites.

26. The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance by Catherine Hyan Hyde – 7/10

25. Son by Lois Lowry – 8/10

24. The Messenger by Lois Lowry – 8/10

23. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens – 10/10 – the best that I have read to date by Charles Dickens. An amazingly written book.

Edited by muggle not

27. The Eye of Zoltar (The Chronicles of Kazam ) by Jasper Fforde – 8.5/10 …this is the best book of the 3 in the series. It also introduced 2 additional characters that are interesting and likeable.. There were however, a few losses of people that were likeable (understatement). :) The storyline had some significant changes and opens the door to many story options. I hope the 4th book comes out soon. Jasper is getting where he will not be able to keep up with all the different “series” that he has going, and all of them are good. The Chronicles of Kazam is becoming one of my favorites series by Fforde. I really like Jennifer Strange and the 2 new people are also going to be favorites.

Yay!  I'm so excited to hear about your thoughts on the rest of this series, Muggle!  (And so glad you got your reading mojo back ;))  I've been busy lately so haven't progressed very far in book #2, but I hope to make a dent this weekend.  

Have you ever read any of Alan Bradley's books from the Flavia de Luce series?  They are mysteries set in 1950's England and she is another young protagonist who is wonderfully written.  They are also funny, to boot, and I would highly recommend :D.

A break certainly appears to have been positive for your reading mojo muggle not. I am so pleased for you. :readingtwo:

I have The Eyes Of Zoltar on my wishlist, having read and loved the two previous books. I will have to buy it soon, and have a quick re read of the earlier two to get myself in the right place.  :smile:

Yay!  I'm so excited to hear about your thoughts on the rest of this series, Muggle!  (And so glad you got your reading mojo back ;))  I've been busy lately so haven't progressed very far in book #2, but I hope to make a dent this weekend.  

Have you ever read any of Alan Bradley's books from the Flavia de Luce series?  They are mysteries set in 1950's England and she is another young protagonist who is wonderfully written.  They are also funny, to boot, and I would highly recommend :D.

I haven't read any of Alan Bradley's books. May check him out. :) You will really like Eye Of Zoltar. So much happens in this book but I can't ruin the story. :)

A break certainly appears to have been positive for your reading mojo muggle not. I am so pleased for you. :readingtwo:

I have The Eyes Of Zoltar on my wishlist, having read and loved the two previous books. I will have to buy it soon, and have a quick re read of the earlier two to get myself in the right place.  :smile:

If you loved the previous 2 books this one will definitely be a great read. You will love the "new characters" that have been introduced. The ending of Eye of Zoltar really let's you hanging and Jennifer Strange has her work cut out for her as she will be battling the greatest Wizard in the world. :) ooops, hope I didn't spoil it. :)

Edited by muggle not

I took 2 weeks off from BCF to get my reading mojo back. I think it has been accomplished with the following reads:

23. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens – 10/10 – the best that I have read to date by Charles Dickens. An amazingly written book.

Wondered where you'd got to .....glad you found your mojo :)

Maybe Athena and I chould make Miraculous Reappearances our next read.  Right now, we are both into books, hers is long, but I also have a short YA read.  We could still make it our next read.  I could probably start it Monday.  Anyone else want to read some CRH???

Are you glad you read The Giver quartet?  Worth it?

I'm glad you've got it back now :).

Maybe Athena and I chould make Miraculous Reappearances our next read.  Right now, we are both into books, hers is long, but I also have a short YA read.  We could still make it our next read.  I could probably start it Monday.  Anyone else want to read some CRH???

You kind of sprung this on me, but we did always say we'd read it together so :). It's the last YA one of hers that I've got left to read :) (after that I only have some of her adult books unread). It's a relatively short book so I should be able to slot it in my 'schedule' :).

How realistic is it as a story to think on, in terms of resolutions and possibilities? It has taught me some small but important things, especially in the parts he was the same age as mine, and I wonder how it fares when he becomes an adult.

Edit: I've changed my post.

Edited by Sousa

Are you glad you read The Giver quartet?  Worth it?

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed The Giver quartet. They were good reads for me. :)

I'm glad you've got it back now :).

You kind of sprung this on me, but we did always say we'd read it together so :). It's the last YA one of hers that I've got left to read :) (after that I only have some of her adult books unread). It's a relatively short book so I should be able to slot it in my 'schedule' :).

My apology! I completely forgot that we were going to read the book together. If you and Anna decide to read it I will contribute my comments as you go along.

How realistic is it as a story to think on, in terms of resolutions and possibilities? It has taught me some small but important things, especially in the parts he was the same age as mine, and I wonder how it fares when he becomes an adult.

Edit: I've changed my post.

Many stories contain writing that have some parts that may not be realistic. That said, I believe that most of David Copperfield is within the realm of possibility and the story and especially the writing is definitely ranked at (or near) the top of everything I have read in my long life. In his adult life I would anticipate him living a pleasant life, especially with Agnes who I thought was a wonderful woman.

Wondered where you'd got to .....glad you found your mojo :)

I fibbed. That really wasn't the reason I was absent. However, I did accomplish a lot of good reading in my absence. :)  I was contemplating whether or not I really "fit-in" in the BCF.

Edited by muggle not

I fibbed. That really wasn't the reason I was absent. However, I did accomplish a lot of good reading in my absence. :)  I was contemplating whether or not I really "fit-in" in the BCF.

Why did you think you might not fit in here?

I'm glad you're back, Muggles. I've been behind in reading everyone's threads, so I only just saw your post about your absence. Of course you fit in here!

I think perhaps we need to clone Jasper Fforde so he can get on with writing all of the books he needs to. :) I really need to bump the Last Dragonslayer books up my TBR pile. They sound great!

Oops- sorry, meant to email/ PM you first with that, just figured since Muggle read it, maybe we could discuss, but I know you are doing The Temporal Void, so I thought I could do Holes before we do it and then you'd be finished with TTV.  No pressure :)  I don't know about starting Monday though, that's after all your read a thon reading.

Of course you fit in Muggles! You're practically one of the founding members here! You're a valued and much loved member :friends0: 

My apology! I completely forgot that we were going to read the book together. If you and Anna decide to read it I will contribute my comments as you go along.

It's okay, it can happen :). I look forward to read your comments though when we read the book :).

Oops- sorry, meant to email/ PM you first with that, just figured since Muggle read it, maybe we could discuss, but I know you are doing The Temporal Void, so I thought I could do Holes before we do it and then you'd be finished with TTV. No pressure :) I don't know about starting Monday though, that's after all your read a thon reading.

It's okay, it can happen :). Yes, Monday would be a bit too soon for me.

I fibbed. That really wasn't the reason I was absent. However, I did accomplish a lot of good reading in my absence. :) I was contemplating whether or not I really "fit-in" in the BCF.

Of course you fit in Muggles! You're practically one of the founding members here! You're a valued and much loved member :friends0: 

I have to agree with Chrissy. You fit in well here, Muggle Not and I always enjoy reading your posts.

I just finished reading "I Am Half-Sick Of Shadows" (A Flavia Del Luce Novel) by Alan Bradley. This was the first book I have read by Alan Bradley and it was an enjoyable read. Our library has a number of the Flavia De Luce books available and now I have another  series of books to read. I rate the book a 8/10.. Thanks to Peacefield for recommending the Alan Bradley series of books.

I have these books on hold at the library:

The Nightingale

Kristin Hannah

Holds position:
6 people ahead of you

The Girl on the Train

Holds position:
1 person ahead of you

All the Light We Cannot See

Anthony Doerr

Holds position:
2 people ahead of you

Finders Keepers

Stephen King

Holds position:
6 people ahead of you

Edited by muggle not

Does 'fitting in' really matter to you muggle not

You offer an interesting and compassionate voice to the forum, striking a wonderful balance between talking about about your life, and the books you have been reading. You are appreciated and enjoyed. Is that fitting in? If so, you do.  :smile:

Does 'fitting in' really matter to you muggle not

You offer an interesting and compassionate voice to the forum, striking a wonderful balance between talking about about your life, and the books you have been reading. You are appreciated and enjoyed. Is that fitting in? If so, you do.  :smile:

Wow, what can I say. Friends like you off-set any other feelings I may have regarding my meager contributions to the forum. I know you enjoy gardening so I am attaching a couple photos of a "few" of my coral bells that I took in early spring. They are nice this year.

I just finished reading "I Am Half-Sick Of Shadows" (A Flavia Del Luce Novel) by Alan Bradley. This was the first book I have read by Alan Bradley and it was an enjoyable read. Our library has a number of the Flavia De Luce books available and now I have another  series of books to read. I rate the book a 8/10.. Thanks to Peacefield for recommending the Alan Bradley series of books.

Yay!!  I'm so glad you read a Flavia book and enjoyed it :D  You got me into the Dragonslayer books and I got you started on Flavia - now that's what I call fitting in! ;)

I just finished reading "I Am Half-Sick Of Shadows" (A Flavia Del Luce Novel) by Alan Bradley. This was the first book I have read by Alan Bradley and it was an enjoyable read. Our library has a number of the Flavia De Luce books available and now I have another series of books to read. I rate the book a 8/10.. Thanks to Peacefield for recommending the Alan Bradley series of books.

I have these books on hold at the library:

The Nightingale

Kristin Hannah

Holds position:

6 people ahead of you

The Girl on the Train

Holds position:

1 person ahead of you

All the Light We Cannot See

Anthony Doerr

Holds position:

2 people ahead of you

Finders Keepers

Stephen King

Holds position:

6 people ahead of you

I have just started The Nightingale (looks promising) and I also have All The Light We Cannot See on my TBR shelf..it has a lovely cover. :)

I have just started The Nightingale (looks promising) and I also have All The Light We Cannot See on my TBR shelf..it has a lovely cover. :)

my wife read the first 3 books on my hold list and she enjoyed all of them very much. I hope you also enjoy them.