Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

my wife read the first 3 books on my hold list and she enjoyed all of them very much. I hope you also enjoy them.

They are all books on my short list too... well, I found this book club that meets near my moms house and one of their reads will be All the Light We Cannot See so I guess I will be reading it :readingtwo: (In a few days they will be discussing Wild, then The 100 Year Old Man...).  I'll be interested to hear what you think of Finders Keepers, and how much of Mr. Mercedes is tied in, or not. 

It's great your wife is such a reader, it must be nice.  I know you said she really loved Nightingale, that one will probably be at the end of the year for me.  But then again, never know lol

PS- I always enjoy your posts :)  and our CRH love :) 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my wife read the first 3 books on my hold list and she enjoyed all of them very much. I hope you also enjoy them.

I'm sure I'll enjoy The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah is one of my favourite writers and the Second World War is one of my favourite subjects to read about. I'll let you know!

I have The Nightingale waiting to be read, I've seen a few people mention it so I might get to it soon. I haven't heard great things about Finders Keepers, but I don't really read King so I don't know will I bother. All The Light We Cannot See is another on my wishlist, I don't think I actually bought it (on tablet - I lose track) but I've seen hardcopies out on display in Waterstones and have been tempted a few times to pick it up. Aaaand The Girl On The Train has gotten hugely mixed reviews, but despite its flaws (which I did acknowledge in my review of it), I LOVED it. :)

They are all books on my short list too... well, I found this book club that meets near my moms house and one of their reads will be All the Light We Cannot See so I guess I will be reading it :readingtwo: (In a few days they will be discussing Wild, then The 100 Year Old Man...).  I'll be interested to hear what you think of Finders Keepers, and how much of Mr. Mercedes is tied in, or not. 

It's great your wife is such a reader, it must be nice.  I know you said she really loved Nightingale, that one will probably be at the end of the year for me.  But then again, never know lol

PS- I always enjoy your posts :)  and our CRH love :)

My wife seldom recommends a book to me but when she does I know I will enjoy it (current recommends - Nightingale, The Girl on The Train, and All the light We Cannot See)

Finders Keepers was given good ratings on another forum I frequent. I understand it is part of a Trilogy along with Mr Mercedes.

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading "A Red Herring Without Mustard".....a Flavia de Luce novel by Alan Bradley. This is my third novel in the Flavia de Luce series and I have "The Sweetness at The Bottom of the Pie" on hold at the library. I wonder why more forum members haven't read this series. It is really good. If you don't believe me ask Peacefield. :)

I also got an email from the library telling me that "The Girl On The Train" is ready for me to download. I must hurry up with the Red Herring book as I just recently started it and only have 3 days to download The Girl on the Train. :)

I am currently reading "A Red Herring Without Mustard".....a Flavia de Luce novel by Alan Bradley. This is my third novel in the Flavia de Luce series and I have "The Sweetness at The Bottom of the Pie" on hold at the library. I wonder why more forum members haven't read this series. It is really good. If you don't believe me ask Peacefield. :)

I also got an email from the library telling me that "The Girl On The Train" is ready for me to download. I must hurry up with the Red Herring book as I just recently started it and only have 3 days to download The Girl on the Train. :)

I'm planning on reading the second book in the series soon. Flavia is delightful, isn't she?! :D

If you have three days to download a book, is that included in the amount of time you have to read it? Or do have a certain amount of time to read it after you download it? (Does that question even make sense?  :blush2:)

I'm planning on reading the second book in the series soon. Flavia is delightful, isn't she?! :D

If you have three days to download a book, is that included in the amount of time you have to read it? Or do have a certain amount of time to read it after you download it? (Does that question even make sense?  :blush2:)

Yes, the question does make sense. The library gives you 3 days to download the book and if it isn't downloaded by then they give it to another person on the hold list. If downloaded within the 3 days you then have 21 days to read the book from the date of download.

And yes, Flavia is a delightful person. I love reading about her escapades and how she solves crimes/murders. :)

I'm SO pleased that you are enjoying the Flavia de Luce novels, Muggle!!   :yahoo: 

I keep meaning to check and see if there is a thread devoted to this series but I haven't gotten around to it.  If there isn't I'd be happy to start one.  We need to share the Flavia love! 

I think you'd be surprised muggle not, I just did a quick search on the forum and found at least a dozen other members who have or are reading the series.  I think there was a lot more posting about them when they first came out, which may be why they don't appear some much in recent reading blogs.  I've read the first one, and have the second on by TBR. :)

There's a thread here. It was just for the first book, but I've just changed the title so we can discuss all of the books there (which was already being done anyway). :)

Thanks for answering my question Muggles. :)

I finished reading The Girl On The Train. It was a good read but at first I was a little confused, my fault as I didn't see that there was different people telling the story then when I seen that there was different people talking I understood. The writing and story itself was pretty good even though I guessed, more or less, the outcome a little in advance of the ending.

I have now downloaded from the library The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie. I hope it is as good as the last Flavia de Luce series book that I recently finished.

31. The Girl On The Train  - Paula Hawkins – 8/10

30. A Red Herring Without Mustard  (A Flavia de Luce novel) – Alan Bradley – 8/10

29. The Weed That strings The Hangman’s Bag  - (A Flavia de Luce novel) – Alan Bradley – 8/10

28. I Am Half Sick of Shadows - (A Flavia de Luce novel) – Alan Bradley – 8/10

Edited by muggle not

I finished reading The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie. I rate it a 8/10 which is the same rating I give books 2,3, and 4 in the Flavia de Luce series. All 4 books have been enjoyable reading. I am so happy that peacefield recommended this series to me.

I am starting to read All The Light You Cannot See. My wife gives it a good rating.

Edited by muggle not

I am starting to read All The Light You Cannot See. My wife gives it a good rating.

The book group I want to join have that as the book I'd be reading for the August meeting (well, July is The 100 Year Old Man... but I have school so my attendance is pending :wink: ).

I think this may have to be my next read, I haven't heard a bad thing about it.

Edit - by the way, I loved The Nightingale!

Edited by chaliepud

The book group I want to join have that as the book I'd be reading for the August meeting (well, July is The 100 Year Old Man... but I have school so my attendance is pending :wink: ).

I heartily recommend The Hundred Year Old Man, it was good reading.

I think this may have to be my next read, I haven't heard a bad thing about it.

Edit - by the way, I loved The Nightingale!

I am No. 2 on the hold list at the library for Nightingale. I hope I can get through All The light before Nightingale becomes available. Glad to hear that you like Nightingale as my wife also highly recommended it to me.

I heartily recommend The Hundred Year Old Man, it was good reading.

I am No. 2 on the hold list at the library for Nightingale. I hope I can get through All The light before Nightingale becomes available. Glad to hear that you like Nightingale as my wife also highly recommended it to me.

I hope you do like it, it was a 5/5 for me. How do you feel about books written from a female perspective? Do you find it harder to understand and empathise with them. Generally I find reading from a mans perspective ok but sometimes I just don't get why they so what they do.. But then o suppose that's the same in life! :D

I hope you do like it, it was a 5/5 for me. How do you feel about books written from a female perspective? Do you find it harder to understand and empathise with them. Generally I find reading from a mans perspective ok but sometimes I just don't get why they so what they do.. But then o suppose that's the same in life! :D

I hadn't thought much about it. Now you have me thinking. :)

Few people seem to be starting All The Light We Cannot See, and it's been on my TBR for a while so I might start that shortly myself and we can all have an aul chat about it :lol:

Sounds good to me. :)

I don't know about the female perspective part, of course, but I do know you read a lot of books about women characters, the sisters in Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde and Becoming Chloe, Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian and The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden are just some that come readily to mind.

I don't know about the female perspective part, of course, but I do know you read a lot of books about women characters, the sisters in Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde and Becoming Chloe, Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian and The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden are just some that come readily to mind.

I am not quite sure what you mean by that. I also really liked "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde, the Kazam series featuring Jennifer Strange by Fforde, and the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley (btw, I don't recall having read the Chris Bohjalian book).  Those are all a small part of my reading but I do enjoy the authors very much.

Edited by muggle not

33. All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr - 9/10 ....This was a very good book. I enjoyed it more than The Girl on The Train. Possibly, some of us "older" folks may enjoy All The Light We Cannot See more so than the younger people, but then, maybe not. :) There was a lot of reality of WWII in the book.

32. The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley - 8/10 - I have given the first 4 books in the Flavia series a 8/10 rating now. All 4 were very enjoyable and I will continue on with the remaining 4 in the series.

hopefully, my next read will be Finders Keepers by Stephen King. I am #1 on the hold list at the library. But, I am also #1 on the hold list for Nightingale. :)

I'm 20% into All The Light We Cannot See, pretty good so far, though not enjoying the very short chapters and switching characters so often, hopefully will either get used to it or the reason for it will become more apparent.