Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

I'm 20% into All The Light We Cannot See, pretty good so far, though not enjoying the very short chapters and switching characters so often, hopefully will either get used to it or the reason for it will become more apparent.

The further into the book you get the more you will understand the back-and-forth. The book also keeps getting more understandable and interesting the deeper you get. Actually, some things don't become clear until near the end of the book. The deeper I got into the book the more I liked it.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not quite sure what you mean by that.

Just that you read a lot of books with female protagonists :)

(btw, I don't recall having read the Chris Bohjalian book). 

Hm... I thought you read it last year after I did, but I could be wrong!

Oh- Edited: I started CRH's Take Me With You.  So good and only 30% in!  She rocks.

Edited by Anna Begins

Just that you read a lot of books with female protagonists :)

Hm... I thought you read it last year after I did, but I could be wrong!

Oh- Edited: I started CRH's Take Me With You.  So good and only 30% in!  She rocks.

I really recommend Where We Belong by CRH.  I am sure you will really like it.

I am starting to read, tonight, “Nightingale” by Kristin Hannah. I have high hopes for this book as it has been recommended highly by several people.

34. Speaking From Among The Bones – Alan Bradley – 8/10 -  a good read and it makes the next book (book 6) in the Flavia de Luce series a must read.

33. All The Light We Cannot See – Anthony Doerr – 8.5/10 – see Chaliepud’s review of the book (coming soon) although I think I liked it more than she did?

32. – The Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie – Alan Bradley 8/10

Edited by muggle not

I am starting to read, tonight, “Nightingale” by Kristin Hannah. I have high hopes for this book as it has been recommended highly by several people.

33. All The Light We Cannot See – Anthony Doerr – 8.5/10 – see Chaliepud’s review of the book (coming soon) although I think I liked it more than she did?

I'm still battling through when I have the time (school holidays have started, eek!!) Hopefully by tomorrow I can give you a final opinion. Hopefully you will enjoy The Nightingale, I can't help thinking it is a very 'female' book though..only time will tell! :)

I'm still battling through when I have the time (school holidays have started, eek!!) Hopefully by tomorrow I can give you a final opinion. Hopefully you will enjoy The Nightingale, I can't help thinking it is a very 'female' book though..only time will tell! :)

Generally speaking, I believe that Kristin Hannah is an author favored more by females. However, my wife assures me that Nightingale is a book for all. It was on the best seller list for a long time here in the U.S. and is still ranked very high. I am about 15% into the book and am loving it.

34. The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah - 9/10 - What a great read. It is one of the top war books that I have read. The 2 sisters in the book will take you on quite a ride.

I am not reading quite as many books as last year but the quality may be the best year I can remember. I have read so many great, great books this year. I don't know if I am getting smarter  or if the recommendations are better this year. :) I am truly pleased with the number of great books I have read so far this year.

36. Finders Keepers – Stephen King – 8.5/10 – good read, although it took me awhile to realize how the book tied into Mr. Mercedes. Once I realized the connection I started to enjoy it more. As usual, the very ending of the book made the hair on my arms stand-on-end. J I am looking forward to the 3rd book in the trilogy as I suspect it will really be a hair raiser. Brady is a scary character. He reminds me of a "clown". :)

35. The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah - 9/10 - What a great read. It is one of the top war books that I have read. The 2 sisters in the book will take you on quite a ride.

34. Speaking From Among The Bones - Alan Bradley 8/10 -good read as usual. This is an interesting series.

33. All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr – 8.5/10 ....This was a very good book. I enjoyed it more than The Girl on The Train. There was a lot of reality of WWII in the book.

32. The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley - 8/10 - I have given the first 5 books in the Flavia series a 8/10 rating now. All 4 were very enjoyable and I will continue on with the remaining 4 in the series.

Edited by muggle not

Oh wow- maybe I will read Finders Keepers then!  Actually, since my dad and I read the first one, maybe he'd give this one a go.  Was it ok for a "dad who doesn't like Stephen King"?  :giggle2:

Edited by Anna Begins

Oh wow- maybe I will read Finders Keepers then!  Actually, since my dad and I read the first one, maybe he'd give this one a go.  Was it ok for a "dad who doesn't like Stephen King"?  :giggle2:

If he/you liked Mr. Mercedes, I think you will like this one. :)....and, if you read this one then you will absolutely have to read the 3rd book in the Trilogy when it is written/published. :)

37. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches: A Flavia de Luce Novel - Alan Bradley - 8/10 This was book #6 in the Flavia series. it concentrated on Harriet (Flavia's mother). The ending sets the series up for possibly a new direction?

36. Finders Keepers – Stephen King – 8.5/10 – good read, although it took me awhile to realize how the book tied into Mr. Mercedes. Once I realized the connection I started to enjoy it more. As usual, the very ending of the book made the hair on my arms stand-on-end. J I am looking forward to the 3rd book in the trilogy as I suspect it will really be a hair raiser. Brady is a scary character. He reminds me of a "clown". :)

35. The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah - 9/10 - What a great read. It is one of the top war books that I have read. The 2 sisters in the book will take you on quite a ride.

34. Speaking From Among The Bones - Alan Bradley 8/10 -good read as usual. This is an interesting series.

33. All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr – 8.5/10 ....This was a very good book. I enjoyed it more than The Girl on The Train. There was a lot of reality of WWII in the book.

32. The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley - 8/10 - I have given the first 5 books in the Flavia series a 8/10 rating now. All 4 were very enjoyable and I will continue on with the remaining 4 in the series.

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...

38. All The Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy - 10/10 - This was a re-read for me but the first read was many years ago. I am glad that I chose this book for a re-read. Cormac ranks, probably, in the top 5 of my favorite authors. He is up there with Steinbeck, Dickens, and Hemingway. All The Pretty Horses has some violence in parts of the book and it may not be a book for some, but the prose is astounding and the story gets better the further you get in the book, as a matter of fact the last 25% of the book is a great , great, read. I enjoyed this re-read so much that my next book will be The Crossing, #2 in this Trilogy by McCarthy.

37. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches: A Flavia de Luce Novel - Alan Bradley - 8/10 This was book #6 in the Flavia series. it concentrated on Harriet (Flavia's mother). The ending sets the series up for possibly a new direction?

Edited by muggle not

• 4 weeks later...

41 - As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust – Alan Bradley – 7.5/10 ….I enjoyed the 7th  book of the Flavia de Luce series very much, but, not as well as the previous 6 books.

40 - Cities of the Plain (book 3 of the Border trilogy – Cormac McCarthy – 9/10…this was a re-read.

39 - The Crossing (book2 of the Border trilogy) – Cormac McCarthy – 10/10…this was a re-read and I enjoyed the book as much as the original read many years ago. Cormac McCarthy remains one of my favorite authors.

• 2 months later...

Haven’t read as many books this year as last but there have been many great authors and interesting reads. I am even on the wait list at the library for “Go Set A Watchman”. :) Also on the wait list for James Lee Burke’s new book "House of the Rising sun" which will be released on Dec. 4. In addition I have The Martian on hold at the library. I am also thinking of putting The Humans of New York on the wait list. Ooops, I also have Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham on hold at the library.

52. The Magic Strings of Frankie Pesto: A novel – Mitch Albom – currently reading – so far, so good

51. The Good Earth – Pearl S. Buck – 10 / 10 – A wonderful and interesting read

50. Pretty Girls: A Novel – Karin Slaughter – 7 / 10 – a dark novel but not my glass of wine

49. The Keeper – David Baldacci – 7.5 / 10 – the second book of Baldacci’s entry into fantasy

48. Bull River – Robert Knott – 7 / 10 – Knott took over writing from the late Robert B. Parker and isn’t near as good

47. A Big Sky Christmas – William W. Johnstone – 7.5 / 10 – not one of Johnstone’s better books

46. The Life We Bury – Ellen Eskens – 8 / 10 – author’s first book and was a good read

45. No Rest For The Dead – Sandra Brown – 8 / 10 – 28 authors combined to write this book & it was pretty good

44. The Outlander – Gil Adamson 8 / 10 – author’s first book and I liked it

43.  The ABC murders – Agatha Christie – 9 / 10 –typical great book by Agatha Christie

42. The Girl In The Spiders Web: a Lisbeth Salander novel – David Lagercrantz – 8 / 10 – good reading but not near as good as the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Edited by muggle not

The book I am currently reading, The Magic Strings of Frankie Pesto: A novel by Mitch Albom was written just for me. At least that is how I feel about the book. I love music and this book is something I really love as it is a fantasy about the best guitar player and singer ever and takes place during the fabulous fifties and sixties. 

Wow- I think we are a couple of books difference, but I've read around 52 also :)

Last year I read more books but actually if we read a book a week I think that is pretty darn good. :)

I'm glad you're reading some nice books :).

I also am looking forward to the books I have on hold at the library and a couple more that the library doesn't have but I have requested them to get. :)