Laura's Fantasy Corner 2015

Signor Finzione

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you read it aeons ago but your review of Wyrd Sisters is brilliant! :D It makes me want to rush out and buy it, but I've never read any Pratchett books before, sadly.

Ha, thanks Janet! :DWyrd Sisters may be a good point for you to jump into the Discworld - it's not really necessary to have read any of his others before starting it. :)

The House of Shattered Wings looks really intriguing.  Why is it so expensive, though? :thud:

Dunno, maybe because it's bigger than the others. :shrug: I've heard really good things about it, though, and the author is one I've been meaning to try for a long time, so I don't mind paying. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Review: 'Best Served Cold' by Joe Abercrombie

3891951.jpg

Springtime in Styria. And that means war.

There have been nineteen years of blood. The ruthless Grand Duke Orso is locked in a vicious struggle with the squabbling League of Eight, and between them they have bled the land white. While armies march, heads roll and cities burn, behind the scenes bankers, priests and older, darker powers play a deadly game to choose who will be king.

War may be hell but for Monza Murcatto, the Snake of Talins, the most feared and famous mercenary in Duke Orso's employ, it's a damn good way of making money too. Her victories have made her popular - a shade too popular for her employer's taste. Betrayed, thrown down a mountain and left for dead, Murcatto's reward is a broken body and a burning hunger for vengeance. Whatever the cost, seven men must die.

Her allies include Styria's least reliable drunkard, Styria's most treacherous poisoner, a mass-murderer obsessed with numbers and a Northman who just wants to do the right thing. Her enemies number the better half of the nation. And that's all before the most dangerous man in the world is dispatched to hunt her down and finish the job Duke Orso started...

Springtime in Styria. And that means revenge.

Damn, but I’d forgotten how bloody awesome this book is. Darker, bloodier and even more entertaining than Abercrombie’s First Law trilogy, Best Served Cold is the ultimate tale of revenge; a tale packed with pain, fury and absurdity from its spectacular opening sequence to its final poignant pages.

The story is of course set in the world of First Law, though several years after the events of the original trilogy. Here we are introduced to the ‘exotic’ land of Styria, a fractured continent hosting a decades-long civil war at a time commonly referred to as the Years of Blood. Although Best Served Cold could probably be read as a standalone story, the sheer amount of references to the original trilogy that it contains – not to mention cameo appearances from several characters – means that those already familiar with the events of First Law will likely enjoy it considerably more than those new to Abercrombie’s world.

The premise of Best Served Cold is simple: heroine is betrayed - heroine gets back up again - heroine sets out to get revenge. And at first it really is that simple. Monza Murcatto, the infamous Butcher of Caprile, sets her sights on seven enemies, and vows to do anything she needs to in order to see them all dead. Recruiting a merry band of thugs – including a poisoner, a Northman and a torturer – she embarks on her glorious mission. But perhaps revenge isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Perhaps the people she trusts are the ones holding the knives . . . and perhaps Monza herself isn’t quite everything she appears to be.

Best Served Cold is Abercrombie’s absurd and bloody take on the otherwise ordinary revenge trope: absurd because of its eclectic mix of characters, and bloody because of the chaos they cause. But it’s also an insanely fun and entertaining journey, with the plot taking something of a backseat to colourful characters who gradually reveal themselves to be so much more than the exaggerated caricatures they first appear to be. The world in which they live is equally colourful, with vicious politics and treacherous leaders continually influencing critical events. The settings in particular are fantastically vivid and immersive: even now I can clearly visualise every bloody sunset, picture every pane of glass in the roof of the Banking House of Valint and Balk, startle at the canal boats looming out of the fog in gloomy Sipani and wonder at the majesty of impregnable Fontezarmo. Though Styria is certainly not a place anyone in their right mind would choose to live, I found I could picture its various regions just as vividly as if I’d actually been there.

Although often dark and suffused with bleakness, Best Served Cold is also frequently hilarious, particularly those chapters told from the viewpoints of Nicomo Cosca and Castor Morveer. Ironic observations, humorous dialogue, self-deprecating comments and hilariously inappropriate remarks are particular specialties of Abercrombie’s, and Best Served Cold abounds with all of them. Abercrombie cleverly blends grit and gore with laughter and levity, all of which conspire to create a perfectly dark, gritty tale of revenge and ruin. This is Abercrombie at his absolute best.

5/5

Review: 'A Natural History of Dragons' by Marie Brennan

12974372.jpg

“You, dear reader, continue at your own risk. It is not for the faint of heart—no more so than the study of dragons itself. But such study offers rewards beyond compare: to stand in a dragon’s presence, even for the briefest of moments—even at the risk of one’s life—is a delight that, once experienced, can never be forgotten. . . .”

All the world, from Scirland to the farthest reaches of Eriga, know Isabella, Lady Trent, to be the world’s preeminent dragon naturalist. She is the remarkable woman who brought the study of dragons out of the misty shadows of myth and misunderstanding into the clear light of modern science. But before she became the illustrious figure we know today, there was a bookish young woman whose passion for learning, natural history, and, yes, dragons defied the stifling conventions of her day.

Here at last, in her own words, is the true story of a pioneering spirit who risked her reputation, her prospects, and her fragile flesh and bone to satisfy her scientific curiosity; of how she sought true love and happiness despite her lamentable eccentricities; and of her thrilling expedition to the perilous mountains of Vystrana, where she made the first of many historic discoveries that would change the world forever.

I’ve got nothing against dragons, especially when they play such a vital part in so many awesome fantasy series. After all, dragons are integral to the whole mythos of Steven Erikson’s Malazan Book of the Fallen; dragons feature prominently in such celebrated fantasy works as Terry Pratchett’s Discworld and Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Cycle; and of course the entire plot of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit couldn’t have existed without that most iconic of dragons: the mighty Smaug.

This is all well and good; I’ve no objection to a few dragons here and there so long as they’re serving some kind of function within the story, be it as an awesome plot device or as a way of setting the scene. But when their presence in a novel seems to serve no other purpose than just sort of existing . . . well, that’s when dragons start to feel kind of stale. And ‘stale’ is not a word that should be used when referring to giant flying monsters.

And this is where the first of the Memoirs by Lady Trent makes its grand entrance. Here, Marie Brennan has accomplished something extraordinary: she has made dragons fresh and exciting again, no easy feat in today’s competitive and draconian-saturated SFF market. Remember when you first discovered fantasy, and felt that awesome thrill of wonder and possibility? A Natural History of Dragons takes us back to that giddy moment through the wonderful character of Isabella, and the captivating tale of her childhood passion for dragons.

Unlike so many modern female fantasy protagonists – who are often termed ‘strong’ characters as a result of their skills in either weaponry or manipulation – Isabella is strong in that she remains true to her own nature in the face of her male-dominated surroundings. Despite her outwardly ‘outrageous’ behaviour, Isabella retains her girlish charm and naïveté; she never compromises her femininity, in spite of her ongoing struggle against the social restrictions of a strictly patriarchal society; and most importantly of all, she continues to cling to her lifelong passion – the study of dragons – even when the pursuit of this passion seems like an impossible dream. She is, quite simply, a hugely likeable and sympathetic protagonist. Furthermore, Brennan’s narrative voice is beautifully elegant and consistently engaging. In fact, the entire novel is suffused with the observant wit and wry humour of Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte, with the fantastical subject matter providing an intriguing vehicle through which the author probes issues of class, gender and morality – though it never once sounds preachy.

Add to all this a delightful cast of secondary characters, continually subtle yet vivid settings – particularly the eastern-European-esque wilderness of Vystrana - and frequent injections of self-deprecating humour, and you have the essence of Marie Brennan’s wonderful tale. A Natural History of Dragons is always engaging and entirely charming, and abounds with moments of tension, humour and emotion. Isabella may just be my new hero, and the Memoirs by Lady Trent my new favourite series.

5/5

Although Best Served Cold could probably be read as a standalone story, the sheer amount of references to the original trilogy that it contains – not to mention cameo appearances from several characters – means that those already familiar with the events of First Law will likely enjoy it considerably more than those new to Abercrombie’s world.

Interesting you should say that cos, when I read it, it was some time after I'd read and not particularly liked the First Law trilogy, so I'd managed to forget everything about it - but I still gave BSC 10 out of 10.  It'll be interesting, one day, to go back and re-read them all in order and see if I enjoy it even more.  Is it possible to enjoy a book I scored 10 more than I originally did?? :unsure:

ETA: How'd you manage to get through the whole review without mentioning the way the cover art is the map  :D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I’ve got nothing against dragons, especially when they play such a vital part in so many awesome fantasy series. After all, dragons are integral to the whole mythos of Steven Erikson’s Malazan Book of the Fallen; dragons feature prominently in such celebrated fantasy works as Terry Pratchett’s Discworld and Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Cycle; and of course the entire plot of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit couldn’t have existed without that most iconic of dragons: the mighty Smaug.

This is all well and good; I’ve no objection to a few dragons here and there so long as they’re serving some kind of function within the story, be it as an awesome plot device or as a way of setting the scene. But when their presence in a novel seems to serve no other purpose than just sort of existing . . . well, that’s when dragons start to feel kind of stale. And ‘stale’ is not a word that should be used when referring to giant flying monsters.

This is so true.  I've read quite a few fantasy novels where dragons are made ordinary - there's no thrill or sense of wonder about them (Tom Lloyd and James Barclay, I'm looking at you  :banghead:  :D ).  

And this is where the first of the Memoirs by Lady Trent makes its grand entrance. Here, Marie Brennan has accomplished something extraordinary: she has made dragons fresh and exciting again, no easy feat in today’s competitive and draconian-saturated SFF market. Remember when you first discovered fantasy, and felt that awesome thrill of wonder and possibility? A Natural History of Dragons takes us back to that giddy moment through the wonderful character of Isabella, and the captivating tale of her childhood passion for dragons.

I thought what Brennan did so well was make the dragons so varied, mysterious and frightening, and did it with a 'less is more' approach - kind of like Spielberg did with the shark in Jaws.  I'm just a little sad that it looks like the other two books (so far) in the series aren't about dragons - but maybe that's a good thing? :shrug:

In fact, the entire novel is suffused with the observant wit and wry humour of Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte, with the fantastical subject matter providing an intriguing vehicle through which the author probes issues of class, gender and morality – though it never once sounds preachy.

Yeah, it was all done without that mind-numbing sentimentality that could have ruined it.

A Natural History of Dragons is always engaging and entirely charming, and abounds with moments of tension, humour and emotion. Isabella may just be my new hero, and the Memoirs by Lady Trent my new favourite series.

Blimey, high praise indeed  :smile: 

So glad I recommended it to you  :P  :giggle2: 

Interesting you should say that cos, when I read it, it was some time after I'd read and not particularly liked the First Law trilogy, so I'd managed to forget everything about it - but I still gave BSC 10 out of 10.  It'll be interesting, one day, to go back and re-read them all in order and see if I enjoy it even more.  Is it possible to enjoy a book I scored 10 more than I originally did?? :unsure:

Definitely. :yes: I think, for me, the first time I read all of Abercrombie's books I left big gaps between them and so didn't pick up on many small things, like the role of Valint & Balk, and Yoru Sulfur. This is the first time I actually realised that both Mauthis and Sulfur appear in BSC. :rolleyes:

ETA: How'd you manage to get through the whole review without mentioning the way the cover art is the map  :D

Because I forgot? :D

The thing with the First Law covers is that not only look awesome, but feel awesome too. :)

I thought what Brennan did so well was make the dragons so varied, mysterious and frightening, and did it with a 'less is more' approach - kind of like Spielberg did with the shark in Jaws.  I'm just a little sad that it looks like the other two books (so far) in the series aren't about dragons - but maybe that's a good thing? :shrug:

Yes! The bits that are most tense/exciting are the bits that don't actually feature dragons at all, such as when they find that cave.

I hope there are at least some dragons in the next books. :unsure: Even if they're only little ones.

Blimey, high praise indeed  :smile: 

It remains to be seen whether it'll go on my 'all time favourites' list, or just my '2015 favourites' one. :giggle2:

Because I forgot? :D

The thing with the First Law covers is that not only look awesome, but feel awesome too. :)

Yeah, I said similar in my reviews.  It's like holding an old map. 

Yes! The bits that are most tense/exciting are the bits that don't actually feature dragons at all, such as when they find that cave.

I hope there are at least some dragons in the next books. :unsure: Even if they're only little ones.

Actually, thinking about it, I kind of hope she'll keep their appearances quite sparse, as I think it'll increase their impact when they do appear.  The series appears set to got to at least five books, so maybe she'll return to them in the later books :shrug:

It remains to be seen whether it'll go on my 'all time favourites' list, or just my '2015 favourites' one. :giggle2:

Coward!  :giggle2:

Actually, thinking about it, I kind of hope she'll keep their appearances quite sparse, as I think it'll increase their impact when they do appear.  The series appears set to got to at least five books, so maybe she'll return to them in the later books :shrug:

If she doesn't then the cover art, not to mention the titles, are a bit misleading, don't you think? :giggle2:

Great reviews! I am very tempted to re-visit Abercrombie's First Law again. Especially BSC and RC.

Glad you liked A Natural History of Dragons as well, how many are out so far? Do they all have equally nice and matching covers/spines?

Thanks Tim! Highly recommend a return to Abercrombie - I'm enjoying my re-read a LOT. :D

There are three Lady Trent books out so far, with potentially two more in the works. :)

memoir-trio.jpg.jpg

If she doesn't then the cover art, not to mention the titles, are a bit misleading, don't you think? :giggle2:

You're right! :thud:  :giggle2:   I just glanced at them and thought one would be about serpents and the other about basilisks, but that's not what the titles say at all  :doh:   :lol:

You're right! :thud:  :giggle2:   I just glanced at them and thought one would be about serpents and the other about basilisks, but that's not what the titles say at all  :doh:   :lol:

</sarcasm> :lol::doh:

Serpents and basilisks are just different kinds of dragons, so my point stands. :P

</sarcasm> :lol::doh:

Serpents and basilisks are just different kinds of dragons, so my point stands. :P

I was agreeing with you, silly! :lol:

My point was that the titles don't actually say they're about serpents or basilisks.  One says The Tropic of Serpents, which to me implies a place, and the other is Voyage of the Basilisk, which implies the name of a ship or somesuch :unsure:

I was agreeing with you, silly! :lol:

My point was that the titles don't actually say they're about serpents or basilisks.  One says The Tropic of Serpents, which to me implies a place, and the other is Voyage of the Basilisk, which implies the name of a ship or somesuch :unsure:

I thought you were taking the pi$$. :lol: Sorry. :D

You'll be able to let me know about the second one soon enough! :)

Based on that review, I'm very tempted by The natural history of dragons. It's cheaper on kindle, but the book cover looks so nice it'd almost be a shame to just read it electronically!

It really is a lovely book. :) I think Steve bought it for Kindle AND in paperback because he couldn't resist the cover. :D

I haven't bought the paperbacks as yet, no - I'm waiting to see if I enjoy the next two books as much, and also if they have such brilliant illustrations inside, too :smile:

I've just seen a couple of very nice sketches when flicking through book 3. :D

I've just seen a couple of very nice sketches when flicking through book 3. :D

I'll see them in Kindle version, no doubt.  I just can't bring myself to buy the paperbacks at the mo :shrug:

New books!! :wub:

CQ884M-WUAEVJdg.jpg

I have my eye on The Traitor (Baru Cormorant).  I've read some great reviews of it :smile: