Laura's Fantasy Corner 2015

Signor Finzione

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo :D! I hope you enjoy both of them! I own The Skinner in paperback and I own Old Man's War as DRM-free PDF through HumbleBundle, but I haven't read either of them yet. They sound good, though, so I hope you enjoy them :)!

Thank you! :D I love the cover of The Skinner - monsters are awesome. :cool::D

Review: 'The Final Empire' by Brandon Sanderson

6547258.jpg

A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields.

But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals

Sanderson’s Laws of Magic. Those four words right there are one of two main reasons I’ve shied away from reading anything by Brandon Sanderson until now (the other reason being a contrary streak in my nature that makes me resist recommendations of prolific, well-loved authors until I bloody well choose to read them – against all logic and good sense, I know). To me, the words ‘laws’ and ‘magic’ have no right being in such close proximity to one another: magic, by its very definition, is nebulous, mysterious and unknowable. Fair enough, most fantasy stories wouldn’t be very interesting if magic didn’t have limitations and consequences; however, imposing strict rules and providing detailed definitions turns magic . . . into science. And correct me if I’m wrong, but most people who read fantasy are drawn to its, well, fantastical nature. They want to read about what is possible, not what isn’t.

Anyway. The disgruntled part of me – the part that knows that amazing books such as Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are awesome precisely because of magic’s vagueness and unpredictability – expected to dislike this first outing with Sanderson, and to feel fully justified in continuing my grumbles about ‘laws’ and ‘magic’ into the foreseeable future. However . . . I really, really enjoyed The Final Empire.

The first book in Sanderson’s bestselling Mistborn series, The Final Empire is of course based around a strongly defined magic system. ‘Allomancy’ is the practice of swallowing metal and then ‘burning’ it in order to access magical powers, with different types of metal granting different kinds of power. It sounds ridiculous (I myself spent much of the novel with a nagging voice in the back of my mind whispering, “that can’t be healthy!”) but it’s actually very innovative, though at times it feels as though we’re being lectured about it in place of seeing it in action. Indeed there are large parts of the beginning of the story that consist of pages of exposition regarding the finer points of allomancy, giving it the feel of a scientific journal rather than an exciting fantasy (there’s even a helpful table included as an appendix, in case readers want to brush up on internal vs. external metals, and which ‘group’ they fall into). There’s too much telling and not enough showing, at least at the beginning.

I found myself feeling similarly spoon-fed as the main characters first came together to discuss the ‘grand plan’ that is the focus of the story. Not only do characters repeat certain points over and over again, but the main character also writes the main points of this super-secret plan in clear bullet points on a big blackboard, as though spelling things out s-l-o-w-l-y for us dull-witted readers. I also found the first few demonstrations of allomancy in action to be similarly repetitive, with almost each new paragraph of a fight scene beginning with the phrase, “Kelsier burned [insert appropriate metal here] and then [insert appropriate action here],” which became somewhat tedious.

Happily, the novel improves vastly as it progresses, and as we become more involved with its main characters. The two protagonists of The Final Empire are radically different: one is a reckless, egotistical man, cocky and confident in his mastery of allomancy; the other is a young fearful street girl, struggling to accept that she too has powers, and fighting against her natural instinct to distrust everyone around her. Although I know plenty of people are huge fans of Kelsier I found him to be irritating and unsympathetic for the majority of the novel, despite his tragic background and supposed charisma. My favourite character by far is Vin, and I really liked the way her character is developed: she gradually comes into her own as a main character rather than being thrust into the limelight, and I enjoyed the way that Kelsier begins to take a narrative backseat to allow Vin to come to the forefront instead. The allomantic combat scenes also become much more complex and exciting as the story focuses more and more on Vin, who is discovering new and interesting ways to apply her myriad powers to any problem she encounters.

Aside from the numerous exposition scenes at the beginning there is never a dull moment in The Final Empire. The characters are always busy setting things in motion, and the settings they occupy are varied and vivid, whether it’s a dingy mine, a royal ballroom or a mist-shrouded city street. The steadily increasing pace makes for an especially climactic build-up to the final events, and there are a few surprises along the way that keep the momentum rolling along nicely. The last couple of hundred pages in particular are full of just one more chapter-type excitement – not at all the stuffy, rule-obsessed pedantry I thought it would be – and I can’t wait to get hold of the next Mistborn book, The Well of Ascension. Against all expectations I now openly declare myself a Sanderson convert, and highly recommend The Final Empire to anyone who hasn’t yet tried his books.

4/5

^^ Yeah, I liked the first book, too . . .  :lol:

The lady from Tor contacted me to ask which books I'd be interested in receiving next as part of my prize: 'lo and behold . . .

11949324_10153676328134497_1596768395876

:D

Oh I do love the covers of Neal Asher's books :wub::giggle2:

Thank you! :D I love the cover of The Skinner - monsters are awesome. :cool::D

Yes :D!

Great review of The Final Empire! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :). Vin is my favourite character too.

^^ Yeah, I liked the first book, too . . .  :lol:

Can I ask which book(s) you didn't like? The second and third?

Oh I do love the covers of Neal Asher's books :wub::giggle2:

Hear hear!

Superb review of The Final Empire Laura. Other than jumping on the A Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon - plus the odd Terry Pratchett book - I've never really dipped into any of the numerous fantasy series' on offer. Perhaps Brandon Sanderson could be a good entry point for me?

Edited by Ben

Can I ask which book(s) you didn't like? The second and third?

Pretty much.  I don't think it would be fair to Laura for me to go into detail in her thread about those books before she's had a chance to read them, though  :smile:

Great review of The Final Empire! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :). Vin is my favourite character too.

Thanks Gaia! Vin is awesome. I was pleasantly surprised when

Kelsier was killed off at the end, as I thought he was going to be the 'main' character of the trilogy

Superb review of The Final Empire Laura. Other than jumping on the A Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon - plus the odd Terry Pratchett book - I've never really dipped into any of the numerous fantasy series' on offer. Perhaps Brandon Sanderson could be a good entry point for me?

Thanks Ben! :) I think  Sanderson might well be a good entry point to fantasy - The Final Empire was certainly very easy to get along with - though there are other authors I'd maybe recommend dipping into as well. Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle series, Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy, Scott Lynch's Gentlemen B*stards series and Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series would all be good entry points too, as would Brian Staveley's Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. I'd also whole-heartedly recommend anything by Joe Abercrombie, Patrick Rothfuss and (if you're looking for something a bit more complex) Steven Erikson. :)

Pretty much.  I don't think it would be fair to Laura for me to go into detail in her thread about those books before she's had a chance to read them, though  :smile:

Yeah, you know how I feel about spoilers . . . :angel_not: :giggle2:

there are other authors I'd maybe recommend dipping into as well. Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle series, Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy, Scott Lynch's Gentlemen B*stards series and Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series would all be good entry points too, as would Brian Staveley's Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. I'd also whole-heartedly recommend anything by Joe Abercrombie, Patrick Rothfuss and (if you're looking for something a bit more complex) Steven Erikson. :)

*cough* David Gemmell *cough*

Yeah, you know how I feel about spoilers . . . :angel_not:  :giggle2:

I didn't think you knew what they were :giggle2:

Thanks Ben! :) I think  Sanderson might well be a good entry point to fantasy - The Final Empire was certainly very easy to get along with - though there are other authors I'd maybe recommend dipping into as well. Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle series, Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy, Scott Lynch's Gentlemen B*stards series and Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series would all be good entry points too, as would Brian Staveley's Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. I'd also whole-heartedly recommend anything by Joe Abercrombie, Patrick Rothfuss and (if you're looking for something a bit more complex) Steven Erikson. :)

Blimey, thanks Laura. I'm kind of leaning towards starting one of Robin Hobb's books (I've heard good things from others too) but you've given me a lot to be going on with there. Looks like I'll have to get making a list. :doh:

*cough* David Gemmell *cough*

:lol: Thanks, Steve.

Blimey, thanks Laura. I'm kind of leaning towards starting one of Robin Hobb's books (I've heard good things from others too) but you've given me a lot to be going on with there. Looks like I'll have to get making a list. :doh:

Yeah, sorry, I got a bit carried away. :giggle2: I hope you enjoy whichever ones you choose to go for! :D

That's very true :).

Thanks Gaia! Vin is awesome. I was pleasantly surprised when

Kelsier was killed off at the end, as I thought he was going to be the 'main' character of the trilogy

That makes sense :)!

I would have to agree with some of these recommendations (I haven't read the others). I hope you enjoy whichever book(s) you end up reading, Ben :)!

Thank you! Yes, I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next one. I'm doing really well with SF at the moment - I've just finished book 3 of The Expanse and enjoyed that too! If you have any other 'gentle' SF recommendations you think I might enjoy then I'm all ears. :)

I'd recommend A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers, a fun light-hearted space adventure. It was self-published last year and snapped up by Hodder this year.

I'd avoid Neal Stephenson like the plague, if I were you - his stuff's quite hard work.  I've got Beckett's Dark Eden but I really couldn't get into it - just didn't like the writing style.  Scalzi's Old Man's War is decent in a seen-it-all-before kind of way, but I reckon you'd be far better off reading Joe Haldeman's The Forever War - it's a far, far better book, imo. 

I'm listening to the audio book of Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson and it is quite hard work for little reward so far, I would probably have given up if I was reading it normally, far too much hypothetical statistical analysis but there are some interesting ideas, plus some of it is set at Bletchley Park which I love.

Didn't think too much of Redshirts but I'm not a Star Trek fan, would like to give his Old Man's War series a go at some point. I would also concur with The Forever War, it's a great read but don't bother with the sequels.

Glad you enjoyed Rivers of London, it sounds quite Gaiman-esque...

It is!  Tim didn't like it so much but, you know, that's Tim, so don't worry about it :giggle2:

I abandoned it about half-way through, didn't care for any of the characters. But clearly you've taken Steve's advice and 'Not worried about it' :lol: Hope you enjoy it!

Great review of The Final Empire. I enjoyed the first one the most but still loved the second two. There are specific scenes from the TFE still stuck in my mind, I read it about 4 years ago though, so really want to re-read :)

I'm listening to the audio book of Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson and it is quite hard work for little reward so far, I would probably have given up if I was reading it normally, far too much hypothetical statistical analysis but there are some interesting ideas, plus some of it is set at Bletchley Park which I love.

I made it all the way through Cryptonomicon.  As you say, hard work and not a lot of fun.  I don't mind the hard work if it's an entertaining read, which wasn't the case with that one.

Not Gaiman-esque, really, I don't think.  Felt more like a UK-based version of Dresden, to me.

I made it all the way through Cryptonomicon.  As you say, hard work and not a lot of fun.  I don't mind the hard work if it's an entertaining read, which wasn't the case with that one.

My husband is always raving about Neal Stephenson and Cryptonomicon. I read it all but I found it such a hard slog that I shan't be returning to any of this other works any time soon!

Not Gaiman-esque, really, I don't think.  Felt more like a UK-based version of Dresden, to me.

Rivers of London is nowhere near good enough to be considered Gaiman-esque! :lol:

Going back to Neal Stephenson, I'm actually more interested in the book now than I was ten minutes ago.  This review contains some spoilery stuff.

Is it wrong that I spent most of it studying the guy's bookshelves?  :giggle2:

I'd recommend A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers, a fun light-hearted space adventure. It was self-published last year and snapped up by Hodder this year.

I've only read one book by Neil Gaiman so can't really comment on that, but some of the humour did remind me quite a lot of Good Omens, which of course is a joint effort between Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. :)

And thanks for the recommendation: Long Way is now on my wishlist.

I abandoned it about half-way through, didn't care for any of the characters. But clearly you've taken Steve's advice and 'Not worried about it' :lol: Hope you enjoy it!

Great review of The Final Empire. I enjoyed the first one the most but still loved the second two. There are specific scenes from the TFE still stuck in my mind, I read it about 4 years ago though, so really want to re-read :)

Thank you Timothy, glad to hear the other two are enjoyable too. :) Yeah, I've been taking Steve's advice a lot lately - I think he may have brainwashed me or something. :lol: But seriously, how could I see that cover and not want to read it? :cool: 

My husband is always raving about Neal Stephenson and Cryptonomicon. I read it all but I found it such a hard slog that I shan't be returning to any of this other works any time soon!

Hmm I shall take that into consideration! Thanks Michelle. Also, totally unrelated: your cats are adorable. :D

Going back to Neal Stephenson, I'm actually more interested in the book now than I was ten minutes ago.  This review contains some spoilery stuff.

It looks great. When I looked at it in store it was the very first line that intrigued me: "The moon blew up without warning and for no apparent reason." It reminded me oddly of Waylander, which began in a similarly "whoa!" kind of way (something about torturing a priest?)