Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

Did any of you see this floating around the internet?

Any idea which paper that was printed in?  They should be named and shamed.

If the actual Aubrey/Maturin books are even half as good as your reviews Steve I am missing a fantastic series.

It is, and you are :smile:   No need to take my word for it, though - there are plenty of other reviews around.

I wasn't planning to watch it until after finishing the books, but I've had withdrawal symptoms as I haven't read any O'Brian for a couple of days ( :hissyfit::D ), so I watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World last night.  Great film.  It gives a flavour of the series if nothing else, and some hints of various things that have happened in the books.  I still don't think Crowe and Bettany are well cast but some of the others are spot on, James D'Arcy as Tom Pullings especially, and David Threlfall's interpretation of mumbling, moaning Killick is brilliant.  The recreation of the setting and the atmosphere is superb. 

The plot is an adaptation, of course, and makes a lot of changes (replacing the American enemies with French enemies, for instance).  I do wonder if the somewhat thin plot in the film undermines it for people who've never read the books, though.  For me it was all crystal clear this time around but, for a non-reader, it might all have seemed a bit vague.  It's just one long chase, really, without anything to give it context.  It seems a strange decision to base the story, mostly, on the tenth book of the series.  Perhaps this was a budgetary decision, i.e. only two ships needed on screen.  A stronger overarching narrative might've served the film better and given it more of an epic sweep, and maybe led to more movies.  Sadly, I guess we'll never know. 

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it again having now read some of the books. :smile:

The trailer:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great film.  It gives a flavour of the series if nothing else, and some hints of various things that have happened in the books.  I still don't think Crowe and Bettany are well cast but some of the others are spot on, James D'Arcy as Tom Pullings especially, and David Threlfall's interpretation of mumbling, moaning Killick is brilliant.  The recreation of the setting and the atmosphere is superb.

I'm no particular fan of Russell Crowe, but, whilst they aren't quite the characters as in the book (Bettany especially), I really like them in those roles. The film itself is one of my favourites: OK it's an adaptation, but for me it capture much of the essence of the books. As I read them again, I actually appreciate the film all the more.

I've not really come across another film that does Napoleonic navy so well - which amazes me, as it's prime cinema material.

Edited by willoyd

I mentioned over in the film thread that I thought they'd've been better basing it on the fifth book, Desolation Island.  It's got a chase/battle very similar to the film (it's the best action scene in the twelve books I've read so far - absolutely terrifying) but it also has the advantage of starting with them at home in England and has an espionage plot too.  The film's great, but I think it would've been even better had it given some background and context for the characters.  The decision to exclude any mention of Maturin being a spy was a real shame because it could've added so much more to what is a pretty thin story in the film.  If they'd given more depth to the movie's plot it might have been just the first of several films.  As great as the movie is, it's basically just a chase spread across two hours.  I still love it, though  :D 

True Detective (Nathan Heller Book #1) by Max Allan Collins

post-6588-0-74643100-1423039620_thumb.jpg

1983 - Harper ebook - 481 pages

In the mob-choked Chicago of 1932, Mayor Cermak aims to scrub up Chicago’s rancid reputation for the World’s Fair, and that daunting task comes down to the youngest plainclothes cop in town, Nathan Heller of the pickpocket detail.

When the Mayor’s “Hoodlum Squad” brings Heller along on a raid with no instructions but to keep his mouth shut and his gun handy, he finds himself an unwitting, unwilling part of an assassination attempt on Al Capone’s successor, Frank Nitti. Soon, he’s smack in the middle of a power struggle between the mob and the mayor, and it’s up to the young detective to upend a potentially nation-shaking political assassination in Miami Beach. In Collins’ eruptive and evocative large-landscape historical thriller, readers consort with the likes of “Dutch” Reagan, George Raft, and FDR himself, as the author weaves the intricate history of the Chicago’s Century of Progress with a classic noir mystery. Rich in riveting plot turns, including a beautiful female client and a heartbreaking romance, True Detective is one of the most highly entertaining and unlikely coming-of-age stories ever written.

I liked:

• The writing style - it's very evocative of film noir.  I could almost hear Humphrey Bogart's laconic drawl.
  • I really liked the way real-life people and events were woven into the story - Heller meets the likes of Eliot Ness, boxer Barney Ross, mobster Frank Nitti and, naturally, Al Capone himself - although this did cause some negative aspects (see below).
  • The sense of time and place.  Since visiting Chicago I've read a few novels set there and this one brings to life the last days of prohibition really well.
  • I didn't see the final twist coming at all.  Maybe I should have, but I didn't, and I really liked that.

I disliked:

• It's a bit too long for the amount of story involved.
  • Said story is quite thin because, due to its nature, it's just an excuse to move from one actual historical event to another.
  • This is also a problem with all the real-life people involved - there are almost too many, and it leaves Collins's own characters a little superficial, imo - which also meant that . . . 
  • I didn't believe the 'heartbreaking romance' at all.
  • There's a jarring and unnecessary change from past tense to present tense at one stage and, after reading that section, I have no idea why he did it.
  • As there's so much real history involved there are quite a lot of wordy info dumps - Collins likes showing off his research.

I was in the mood for a complete change of pace and, for the most part, this did the job.  I picked it up a couple of months back for 99p on the Kindle, so it was a good deal.  What I didn't know at the time was that it is yet another 'first book in a series' in which there are currently nineteen books :doh:   Much as I enjoyed it, I'm not sure that I'll go on to read any more.

Memorable Quotes:

Talking about one of his fellow detective, who is corrupt:

Miller stood planted there like one of the lions in front of the Art Institute, only meaner-looking.  Also, the lions were bronze and he was tarnished copper.

Ouch  :giggle2:

and . . .

Chicago invented the skyscraper and never lets you forget it.

In a weird book-type reference, I went out for a meal with some family friends last night and we went to a restaurant at Denham Aerodrome - and it's called Biggles  :D   Slightly odd choice of name for the place, given it's a Spanish/Portuguese restaurant  :D  Lovely food and great, friendly service.

True Detective (Nathan Heller Book #1) by Max Allan Collins

Anything to do with the new TV series?

The main reason I don't want to read Master and Commander at the moment is due to the series length, not to mention if I wanted to buy them I have less than no room!

I mentioned over in the film thread that I thought they'd've been better basing it on the fifth book, Desolation Island.

Yeah that does sound like a better choice :shrug: I remember watching Far Side of the World about 10 years ago so I was quite young and most of it probably went over my head, but I think I enjoyed it nonetheless :)

Anything to do with the new TV series?

No, nothing at all.

The main reason I don't want to read Master and Commander at the moment is due to the series length, not to mention if I wanted to buy them I have less than no room!

Oh, go on - read Desolation Island at least :D

Well, I seem to have come into possession of tickets to see Rush in Calgary and Vancouver, so it looks like I'm going to Canada in July :thud:

In a weird book-type reference, I went out for a meal with some family friends last night and we went to a restaurant at Denham Aerodrome - and it's called Biggles  :D   Slightly odd choice of name for the place, given it's a Spanish/Portuguese restaurant  :D  Lovely food and great, friendly service.

Great menu - lots of lovely fish dishes... I'd be spoilt for choice!  :D

Damn, I was planning to go rat-arsed every day :(  :giggle2:

Great menu - lots of lovely fish dishes... I'd be spoilt for choice!  :D

Janet!  You're talking about the fish and not the Rush :o  :D

Damn, I was planning to go rat-arsed every day :(  :giggle2:

Hahahaha that made me giggle.

Lovely collection of books btw. I'm not familiar with them (other than what I've seen you saying about them) but the set looks gorgeous together.

The Thirteen Gun Salute (Aubrey/Maturin Book #13) by Patrick O'Brian

post-6588-0-50630200-1423469586_thumb.jpg

1989 - Harper ebook - 365 pages

Will Napoleon Bonaparte form an alliance with the Malay princes of the South China Sea? Not if Jack Aubrey can help it. Conveying a diplomatic mission to the Sultan's court, Aubrey and company must also contend with orangutans, typhoons, and a squadron of wily French envoys.

Note:

• This book begins shortly after the events of The Letter of Marque

I liked:

• There's a shipwreck - it is brilliant.  You can really feel the frustration and dwindling hope as a typhoon approaches.
  • An extended sequence where Stephen treks to a mountain-top Buddhist temple in the depths of a jungle, where he - for once - has the time to indulge his passion for animals and plants, driven by his desire to see an orangutan for the first time.  It's a wonderful change of pace, completely involving and brings the world around him alive.
  • In some ways the plot is similar to the fourth book, The Mauritius Command, which also involved the transporting of an envoy.  It's a sign of how much O'Brian's writing had developed over the intervening books that this one is even better, and that all of the characters are fleshed out so beautifully.  The envoys - Fox in this book and Stanhope in the other - are worlds apart in terms of characterisation and motivation.
  • The political shenanigans, where the book could potentially get bogged down, are described with such wit that they're a joy.
  • There's something that happens regarding an ongoing plot about a couple of traitors that is a complete shock.  Didn't see it coming at all but it's at once amusing (in the almost off-hand manner in which O'Brian throws it out there) and gross.

I disliked:

• Running out of ways to say how much I love these books.
  • I noted in my comments on The Letter of Marque that the essay at the end, Jack Aubrey's Ships, was excellent and I wished it had been included earlier in the series . . .   Well, it was!  I noticed last night that it was also included in The Mauritius Command :rolleyes:  To be fair (to me!), it's a while since I read that one  :blush2:  :giggle2:   The essay at the end of this book, Black, Choleric & Married by Patrick O'Brian himself, was also included earlier, in The Fortune of War.  Shame they didn't ensure the essays were unique to each book.

The Thirteen Gun Salute, apparently, begins a plot arc that lasts for five novels.  There's also a lot here that reaches back into the past, too, and it's one of those books that exhibits all the series' best qualities.  It's O'Brian on top form.  It's funny, exciting, enthralling, and a hell of a lot happens in it.  Do I really need to say I loved it?  :D

Memorable Quotes:

'Has she taken Barham Down?'

'She has not only taken it, she has bought it.'  And in an undertone, 'The animal.'

'Sophie always said she was very much set upon the place.'

Stephen  read on, and then said, 'But she means to live with Sophie until we come home, however.  She is only sending Hitchcock and a few horses.'

'So much the better.  Stephen, did she tell you the kitchen boiler at Ashgrove blew up on Tuesday?'

'She is doing so at this minute - the words are before me.  Brother, there is much to be said for living in a monastery.'

:giggle2:

Lovely collection of books btw. I'm not familiar with them (other than what I've seen you saying about them) but the set looks gorgeous together.

Yeah, the cover art is very evocative.  Kind of mad, cos I'm actually reading the Kindle editions (having the built-in dictionary is a Godsend with these books  :giggle2: ) and it's enhanced my enjoyment so much, but the result is that I now love them so much I have to actually own the physical copies.  Have to, no choice  :blush2:  :D

Brilliant set! How are your shelves looking at the moment? as concave as mine? :giggle2:

They're not looking too bad!  I still have an empty shelf at the moment.  The O'Brian books, all twenty-one of them, actually take up less space than the ten Malazan books :rolleyes:   :lol:  The last few Aubrey/Maturin books are the only paperbacks I've bought since before November, I think.  I love the Kindle Voyage so much that I'm reading on there pretty much all the time, so shelf space isn't an issue for the time being  :smile: 

Do you know if O'Brian had an end in sight for these books? How many more was he planning?

I hope the last one doesn't leave it on a major cliffhanger.

I honestly haven't looked into it, as I don't want to know, or accidentally spoil myself, on what happens.  I did briefly flick through the last, sadly unfinished book, and it includes his handwritten drafts of some chapters of the next book, but that's as far as I'm prepared to look into it at the moment, really - I didn't read any of it  :shrug:

They're not looking too bad!  I still have an empty shelf at the moment. 

:o Much better than me then!

The O'Brian books, all twenty-one of them, actually take up less space than the ten Malazan books :rolleyes:   :lol: 

Somehow, I'm not surprised :blush2:

I honestly haven't looked into it, as I don't want to know, or accidentally spoil myself, on what happens.  I did briefly flick through the last, sadly unfinished book, and it includes his handwritten drafts of some chapters of the next book, but that's as far as I'm prepared to look into it at the moment, really - I didn't read any of it  :shrug:

Probably a safe bet, will be interesting to find out though :)