Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

You're right, that's a bit of a shock. I can't imagine being in that position - about one-third of my reading is non-fiction, and a fair number have proved to be favourite reads too.

I think, for me, it was being forced to read so much of it at university that sucked the enjoyment out of it. Now, when I read, I choose fiction purely because it provides fun and escapism - probably why I enjoy fantasy novels so much. :shrug:

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just having a nosy at the Aubrey/Maturin books on Amazon to see whether they'd be something I'd want to try in the future. I read the first couple of pages of Master and Commander on the 'look inside' thing and was laughing out loud at Jack making an idiot of himself - he reminds me of my dad. :giggle2:

:lol:  I don't know if it'd be your kind of thing, Laura, but it's true about Jack.  He's completely at home when he's at sea but completely at sea when he's on land :lol:

Great review Steve, you're racing through this series now :) It's great when you get that kind of momentum!

Yeah, I'm kind of missing it at the moment . . .

I think, for me, it was being forced to read so much of it at university that sucked the enjoyment out of it. Now, when I read, I choose fiction purely because it provides fun and escapism - probably why I enjoy fantasy novels so much. :shrug:

I was like that too for quite some time, during most of my years at university I hardly read any information books (I did read some biographies). I was learning a lot of new things through my study already and couldn't really deal with more. I also had the problem that because of my education, I already knew a lot about certain subjects I was interested in, so at some point the books I read about that subject just didn't have much new information for me any more (basically, the laymen's books are too simple for me, but the technical articles from scientific papers can be complicated and way too specific. Also I lost my access to those since I stopped studying). The past two years I've been reading more information books though, and I've been branching out the subjects I read about. It can be nice to read an information book every once in a while. Though if I just want to know something quickly and briefly, I often look it up online.

Oh hell.  Rush tour dates announced.  Looks like another trip across The Pond is in the works . . .

Oooooh, where will you be going to and how soon? I hope you have a lot of fun if you do go :D. They're your favourite band, right?

They're your favourite band, right?

Nah, I can't stand them  :D

I'm filled with apathy for the tour at the moment.  It's short notice (tickets go on sale on Friday) so not much time for making a plan and getting decent seats (can't see the point in travelling all that way to be a mile away from the stage), it's phenomenally expensive ($300 for the first ten rows :banghead:  ), and - in the words of Roger Mutaugh - I'm getting too old for this s***  :giggle2:   

I'm kind of tempted by the two dates in Toronto in June, but I'm thinking I may just wait and see if they tour Europe.  But then I'll regret it if they don't :rolleyes:

:D

That is expensive! I hope you make a decision you're happy with :). Would it cost a lot to fly to Toronto from where you live? I guess Europe would be cheaper and closer but then again you don't know if they'll be in Europe.. dilemmas!

The Toronto trip would probably cost around £1,500 to £2,000, if I went on the Tuesday, stayed for the gigs on Wednesday and Friday, then came home on Saturday.  And I've just found out that there was a pre-sale last Friday, so loads of tickets have gone already.  Meh.  I hate pre-sales.

Trafalgar: The Men, the Battle, the Storm by Tim Clayton and Phil Craig

post-6588-0-79183600-1422369040_thumb.jpg

2005 - Hodder & Stoughten ebook (New Edition 2012) - 480 pages

Two hundred years ago, Napoleon Bonaparte dominated Europe and threatened Britain with invasion. Against him stood the Royal Navy and the already legendary Admiral Horatio Nelson. In October 1805, a massive naval battle off the coast of Spain decided mastery of the seas, and over the following days and nights, the battleships and their exhausted crews endured a gale of awesome fury. The authors tell this story through the diaries, letters, and memoirs of the men involved, as well as through the eyes of their wives and children.

I liked:

• I don't often read non-fiction as I tend to find it dry and uninvolving, something that I would rather dip in and out of than read in one go.  This book, though, managed to (mostly) hold my attention with its lively writing style.  It has the feel of a novel without being one.
  • I loved the way the authors used letters, journals etc to give the people involved a voice and bring them alive.  This worked really, really well.
  • I loved that they told the story from all sides - British, French, Spanish - from many different points of view, from Nelson and the Admiralty down to the lowest seaman.
  • The build up to the battle, potentially the slowest part of the book, sees an incredible ratcheting up of the tension.  It actually turned out to be the best part, for me.
  • The authors do a good job of conveying the horrors of the battle and the scale of the death and destruction.  When I say a 'good job' they make it a place no-one in their right mind would want to be.  Some of the things those people went through for their countries beggars belief.
  • The final two chapters, regarding the aftermath of the storm, are very affecting.

I disliked:

• I spent much of the latter stages wanting to give Cuthbert Collingwood a slap.  The fool.
  • Despite all its best intentions, it ends up overstaying its welcome a little.  The section on the storm goes on far too long.
  • Despite all its best intentions, it inevitably slides towards list-mania at times: names of people, names of ships, names of places, facts and figures.  For the most part they deal with it admirably but towards the end it was beginning to drown me like the storm itself.

I can't remember the last time I found a non-fiction book exciting - probably never - but this one manages it quite a bit.  It could have done with being a bit shorter, but the narrative is compelling and the terror during the battle and subsequent storm are extremely well conveyed.  Barring a couple of caveats, I thought this book was very good indeed and would recommend it to anyone interested in this period.

Memorable Quotes:

It shouldn't have, but this made me laugh, more in horror and disbelief than anything . . .

Spratt asked Captain Philip Durham for permission to board by swimming 'as I well knew 50 or 60 of the boarders who I taught for some years could swim like sharks'.  At first Durham demurred, 'saying I was too prompt', but in the end he agreed.  Spratt shouted, 'All you, my brave fellows, who can swim, follow me,' and 'plunged over board from the starboard gangway with my cutlass between my teeth and my tomahawk under my belt'.  He swam to the stern of the Aigle 'where by the assistance of her rudder chains I got into her gunroom stern port'.  But he was alone.  For whatever reason his men had not followed.

Proof that celebrity was alive and well at the time . . .

[after the Battle of the Nile in 1798] . . . Nelson became the foremost celebrity of the age.  There were Nelson ribbons, Nelson snuffboxes, Nelson fans, Nelson mugs and jugs.  People wore pendants with the motto 'Nelson For Ever'.

Patrick O'Brian must've nicked this bit, regarding Nelson, for Jack Aubrey . . .

A thankful Sultan of Turkey gave him the ridiculously oversize chelengk, designed for a turban, that he wore in his hat.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Sounds like a great book, I have been interested in this period for a while, mainly because of the Sharpe novels. The few non-fiction books I have about it are all based around Waterloo and/or Wellington. I was checking out some biographies of Nelson a while back but done of them grabbed me. I would like something that covers all his naval victories though :shrug:

Nah, I can't stand them  :D

I'm filled with apathy for the tour at the moment.  It's short notice (tickets go on sale on Friday) so not much time for making a plan and getting decent seats (can't see the point in travelling all that way to be a mile away from the stage), it's phenomenally expensive ($300 for the first ten rows :banghead:  ), and - in the words of Roger Mutaugh - I'm getting too old for this s***  :giggle2:   

I'm kind of tempted by the two dates in Toronto in June, but I'm thinking I may just wait and see if they tour Europe.  But then I'll regret it if they don't :rolleyes:

:D

That is expensive! I hope you make a decision you're happy with :). Would it cost a lot to fly to Toronto from where you live? I guess Europe would be cheaper and closer but then again you don't know if they'll be in Europe.. dilemmas!

Also, Toronto is the business. I went there in 2013 to meet the cast of Supernatural (I am a GIGANTIC fangirl - but hey I danced with Benny so NO REGRETS!) and it is a beautiful city, imo. Made a day trip out to Niagara Falls too, which wasn't expensive, and also wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped but still worth it.

Also, Toronto is the business. I went there in 2013 to meet the cast of Supernatural (I am a GIGANTIC fangirl - but hey I danced with Benny so NO REGRETS!) and it is a beautiful city, imo. Made a day trip out to Niagara Falls too, which wasn't expensive, and also wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped but still worth it.

Yeah, I love Toronto.  Went there in 2007 and 2008 (both times to see Rush, of course :giggle2:   It's their home town, after all :D ). 

Niagara's a funny one.  The ride on the Maid of the Mist is awesome, but the town itself is such a horrid tourist trap.  Did you take the helicopter ride over the Falls?  That was quite an experience :smile:

post-6588-0-88966900-1422377344_thumb.jpg

Oh wow, that looks amazing. No, I couldn't afford it (it was a relatively budgeted trip for me, I only had a grand to spend for everything, five days accomm, flight, entrance to the convention plus convention extras and extra travel costs!) - I also didn't go on the Maid of the Mist coz my friend didn't want to get wet, and I didn't want to go alone :( Maybe that's why I found it all a little underwhelming - you need to either see it REALLY CLOSE, or from a great height :lol:

Oh wow, that looks amazing. No, I couldn't afford it (it was a relatively budgeted trip for me, I only had a grand to spend for everything, five days accomm, flight, entrance to the convention plus convention extras and extra travel costs!) - I also didn't go on the Maid of the Mist coz my friend didn't want to get wet, and I didn't want to go alone :( Maybe that's why I found it all a little underwhelming - you need to either see it REALLY CLOSE, or from a great height :lol:

Your friend was very wise - I got absolutely drowned on the Maid of the Mist, even wearing one of the ponchos they hand out  :lol:

I hope you got to meet Jensen and Jared.  Must admit, I've fallen out of touch with Supernatural.  I think the last season I saw was season 7.  Season 9's just cropped up on E4 and I tried to start watching it but, not having seen season 8, I didn't have a clue what was going on :lol:

Quotes added to the Trafalgar: The Men, the Battle, the Storm review :smile:

Sounds like a great book, I have been interested in this period for a while, mainly because of the Sharpe novels. The few non-fiction books I have about it are all based around Waterloo and/or Wellington. I was checking out some biographies of Nelson a while back but done of them grabbed me. I would like something that covers all his naval victories though :shrug:

I've only really looked at the two-part John Sugden biography.  When I'm feeling a bit braver I'll probably give it a try.  It's only about 2,000 pages long :lol:

Your friend was very wise - I got absolutely drowned on the Maid of the Mist, even wearing one of the ponchos they hand out  :lol:

I hope you got to meet Jensen and Jared.  Must admit, I've fallen out of touch with Supernatural.  I think the last season I saw was season 7.  Season 9's just cropped up on E4 and I tried to start watching it but, not having seen season 8, I didn't have a clue what was going on :lol:

Season 6 and 7 were terrible, 8 got back on the right track, 9 was great in parts and 10 has had one amazing episode, but the rest is a little meh. I'm waiting for the really good stuff to start up again, I'm hoping it will, because they're building up the potential for great stuff.

I did get to meet them, and Misha and the Trickster (whom I ADORE) and Chuck and a few others. Photos and autographs all round. It was brilliant, there was a karaoke night on one night and we had Bobby and Death singing karaoke :D

I spent much of the latter stages wanting to give Cuthbert Collingwood a slap.  The fool.

Why? It's a while since I read the book, but can't remember thinking so, so am intrigued.

I have been interested in this period for a while, mainly because of the Sharpe novels. The few non-fiction books I have about it are all based around Waterloo and/or Wellington.

Tim Clayton, one of the co-authors, has just had published his book Waterloo, covering the whole invasion of Belgium, along with the four battles. I rated it 6/6, compared with a 4/6 for Trafalgar, although that was ten years ago, so my likes etc may have changed since then. I've reviewed it here.  It's preceded by a review of Brendan Simms's account of the defence of La Haie Sainte, which may be of interest to you as well.  Whilst I like Cornwell's books a lot, I think his history of Waterloo is very poor, at least as a piece of history (it reads well though).

I was checking out some biographies of Nelson a while back but done of them grabbed me. I would like something that covers all his naval victories though :shrug:

I've got both Roger Knight's single volume biography, and volume 2 of John Sugden's 2-parter, on my shelves to read. Both have had virtually rave reviews, and do look good.

Season 6 and 7 were terrible, 8 got back on the right track, 9 was great in parts and 10 has had one amazing episode, but the rest is a little meh. I'm waiting for the really good stuff to start up again, I'm hoping it will, because they're building up the potential for great stuff.

I did get to meet them, and Misha and the Trickster (whom I ADORE) and Chuck and a few others. Photos and autographs all round. It was brilliant, there was a karaoke night on one night and we had Bobby and Death singing karaoke :D

:lol:

Okay, so it sounds like I haven't missed too much, then.  How come they had the convention in Toronto?  Don't they film it in Vancouver? :unsure:

Why? It's a while since I read the book, but can't remember thinking so, so am intrigued.

It was his refusal to anchor after the battle, as Nelson had ordered, and then his indecision on so many fronts thereafter, costing so many lives, not to mention losing most of the prizes and thereby denying the survivors the money they would've been due.  The authors seemed to think he was a bit jealous of Nelson so wanted to prove himself to be better.

:lol:

Okay, so it sounds like I haven't missed too much, then.  How come they had the convention in Toronto?  Don't they film it in Vancouver? :unsure:

They tour all over America every year, and also Toronto and Vancouver, doing these conventions. There are loads, they seem to spend most of their time outside of filming season doing them! :thud:

They tour all over America every year, and also Toronto and Vancouver, doing these conventions. There are loads, they seem to spend most of their time outside of filming season doing them! :thud:

They're in for life by the sounds of it. It was originally planned for five seasons wasn't it? I thought season 5 would've been a brilliant ending. The price of success I guess :shrug: