Noll's 2015 Book Blog

Nollaig

The Shock Of The Fall - Nathan Filer

Synopsis: ‘I’ll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name’s Simon. I think you’re going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he’ll be dead. And he was never the same after that.’ The Shock of the Fall is an extraordinary portrait of one man’s descent into mental illness. It is a brave and groundbreaking novel from one of the most exciting new voices in fiction.

Review: The Shock of the Fall is a really unique reading experience. The style of writing is extremely distinctive, and presented in such a way as to capture a sense of being written in chunks (on a computer and typewriter, punctuated by formal letters and documentation) by a semi-unreliable narrator recalling the tragic experiences of his earlier life. I absolutely loved the repetition of phrases and words, across a couple of paragraphs or from one end of the book to the other, and the meandering thought processes that capture the indirect nature of human thought and recollection.

Despite the unusual writing style, it’s a highly readable and engaging story which starts off being about the death of a young boy as told by his younger sibling (an adult at the time of telling), but the reader quickly begins to pick up on the fact that there is more to Matt Homes than a straight-forward narrator. Over the course of the book bits and pieces are alluded to and finally revealed, ultimately slotting together in a heart-wrenching depiction of loss, grief, and mental illness.

For a debut, this is an extremely accomplished novel and the authenticity of Matt’s character should leave no reader surprised that the author is a registered mental health nurse. He knows what he’s talking about, and he talks about it with great care and great skill. I don’t want to talk to talk too much about the plot as much of the pleasure to be derived from this book is in the journey through Matt’s experience as though he is recollecting is for you personally, but I highly recommend picking this one up.

Rating: 4.5/5

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend picking this one up.

I might just have to do that, were you reading it with Alexi?  She just reviewed it too and gave it a 4/5, but had a different tone that you did, it was cool :cool:

I actually wasn't, I just happened to get it at the same time! I actually understand what she means, but I loved the writing style and the way it meandered. It felt like a very authentic recollection of a fragmented memory being shared with a stranger. But there was something a little flat about it, which is why I took off the half-star.

Yeah I did think of you in terms of the genre, I think that aspect would appeal to you, but realisically I think it would be far far far too crude.

Thanks for this :).

Great review of The Shock of the Fall!

Anna, I think you would like the book :).

For a debut, this is an extremely accomplished novel and the authenticity of Matt’s character should leave no reader surprised that the author is a registered mental health nurse. He knows what he’s talking about, and he talks about it with great care and great skill.

Great review, and I totally agree with you about the authenticity of the main character. In fact, after I'd finished the book, I googled the author to see if the book was partly autobiographical, because it had a real feeling of honesty about it.

Thanks peeps :)

I just finished Jumpstart The World. Great book. Too short, not fleshed out enough, and in a way I get that, it makes sense, but I wanted more. That aside, genuinely awesome book. Review to follow.

Jumpstart The World - Catherine Ryan Hyde

Synopsis: Elle is a loner. She doesn’t need people. Which is a good thing, because she’s on her own: she had to move into her own apartment so her mother’s boyfriend won’t have to deal with her. Then she meets Frank, the guy who lives next door. He’s older and has a girlfriend, but Elle can’t stop thinking about him. Frank isn’t like anyone Elle has ever met. He listens to her. He’s gentle. And Elle is falling for him, hard.
But Frank is different in a way that Elle was never prepared for: he’s transgender. And when Elle learns the truth, her world is turned upside down.  Now she’ll have to search inside herself to find not only the true meaning of friendship but her own role in jumpstarting the world.

Review: Jumpstart The World is one of only a handful of books I've ever read, which made me think time and time again, 'I can completely relate to this'. The main character, Elle, became entirely a vehicle for me being exposed her situation, in that her every reponse - occasionally intolerant or politically incorrect as they were - were the same as I believe mine would be. I think my favourite thing about this novel is that it takes a girl who is incredibly (literally, it was difficult to believe) unaware of the LGBT community - and portrays her with all the confusion - and occasionally even prejudice - that comes with exposure to a whole new concept or experience. Her reactions were not always okay, but that is an okay thing to depict in a story. It's even a GOOD thing to depict, because it goes to show an important truth about people - that we are capable of more than we've been raised or socially conditioned to believe or know. If someone has a fundamentally good heart and good intentions, like Elle does, walls and boundaries can be broken down.

This novel is brilliantly written - quirky and funny as is seemingly Hyde's style, but it is too short. The characters do not get fleshed out enough - The Bobs are little more than 'short', 'tall' and 'gay', Annabelle disappears for no discernable reason halfway through the story, Elle's mother is little more than alluded to and even Wilbur, who we see a bit more of, feels like he has an entire novel of his own to share. While paying more attention to these characters may have diluted the focus of the novel (which was itself, perfectly articulated), I feel it would have been a worthwhile compromise to share more of these characters. Particularly Wilbur. Can you tell I liked Wilbur?

I of course also loved Frank - who couldn't? - and even Molly. The story was not immensely original (it did feel a little plot-driven at times - the premise of a 15 year old girl being dumped off alone in New York simply does not ring true) and it had to take a twist somewhere, naturally - but it was a better twist than I was expecting. More subtle, more random, more realistic. Of all the things that could have happened, this is the one that'd make you go, 'typical'. I've criticised a few aspects of this book, but I genuinely loved it. It could have been too pointed, but it's a gentle book that speaks to understanding, tolerance, and kindness. It's one I'm going to go back to in the near future, and I would highly recommend it to absolutely everyone.

Jumpstart The World - Catherine Ryan Hyde

Synopsis: Elle is a loner. She doesn’t need people. Which is a good thing, because she’s on her own: she had to move into her own apartment so her mother’s boyfriend won’t have to deal with her. Then she meets Frank, the guy who lives next door. He’s older and has a girlfriend, but Elle can’t stop thinking about him. Frank isn’t like anyone Elle has ever met. He listens to her. He’s gentle. And Elle is falling for him, hard.

But Frank is different in a way that Elle was never prepared for: he’s transgender. And when Elle learns the truth, her world is turned upside down.  Now she’ll have to search inside herself to find not only the true meaning of friendship but her own role in jumpstarting the world.

Review: Jumpstart The World is one of only a handful of books I've ever read, which made me think time and time again, 'I can completely relate to this'. The main character, Elle, became entirely a vehicle for me being exposed her situation, in that her every reponse - occasionally intolerant or politically incorrect as they were - were the same as I believe mine would be. I think my favourite thing about this novel is that it takes a girl who is incredibly (literally, it was difficult to believe) unaware of the LGBT community - and portrays her with all the confusion - and occasionally even prejudice - that comes with exposure to a whole new concept or experience. Her reactions were not always okay, but that is an okay thing to depict in a story. It's even a GOOD thing to depict, because it goes to show an important truth about people - that we are capable of more than we've been raised or socially conditioned to believe or know. If someone has a fundamentally good heart and good intentions, like Elle does, walls and boundaries can be broken down.

This novel is brilliantly written - quirky and funny as is seemingly Hyde's style, but it is too short. The characters do not get fleshed out enough - The Bobs are little more than 'short', 'tall' and 'gay', Annabelle disappears for no discernable reason halfway through the story, Elle's mother is little more than alluded to and even Wilbur, who we see a bit more of, feels like he has an entire novel of his own to share. While paying more attention to these characters may have diluted the focus of the novel (which was itself, perfectly articulated), I feel it would have been a worthwhile compromise to share more of these characters. Particularly Wilbur. Can you tell I liked Wilbur?

I of course also loved Frank - who couldn't? - and even Molly. The story was not immensely original (it did feel a little plot-driven at times - the premise of a 15 year old girl being dumped off alone in New York simply does not ring true) and it had to take a twist somewhere, naturally - but it was a better twist than I was expecting. More subtle, more random, more realistic. Of all the things that could have happened, this is the one that'd make you go, 'typical'. I've criticised a few aspects of this book, but I genuinely loved it. It could have been too pointed, but it's a gentle book that speaks to understanding, tolerance, and kindness. It's one I'm going to go back to in the near future, and I would highly recommend it to absolutely everyone.

Hmmm, I haven't read that book. On to my list it goes.

I've added Jumpstart the World to my wishlist. I can relate to the bit about being a loner, so it sounds right up my alley. I've also never read any Catherine Ryan Hyde but have heard her mentioned so many times on the forum.

I've added Jumpstart the World to my wishlist. I can relate to the bit about being a loner, so it sounds right up my alley. I've also never read any Catherine Ryan Hyde but have heard her mentioned so many times on the forum.

Yeah I know a few people on here who are fans of her work. Having read two of her books I can safely say I'll be reading more. :)

Great review, Noll! I'm glad you enjoyed it :). I liked the book a lot too and I also wished it was longer.

Yeah I had no idea it was so short! But still, very good.

Yeah I know a few people on here who are fans of her work. Having read two of her books I can safely say I'll be reading more. :)

I've only read two other ones besides the two you have, but I would recommend both of them, they are When You Were Older and Becoming Chloe. The latter is a shorter YA novel (like Jumpstart the World), the former is a full-length adult novel (like Don't Let Me Go). I own a couple more books by the author I haven't read yet, I plan to read hopefully a least a couple more this year.

I've only read two other ones besides the two you have, but I would recommend both of them, they are When You Were Older and Becoming Chloe. The latter is a shorter YA novel (like Jumpstart the World), the former is a full-length adult novel (like Don't Let Me Go). I own a couple more books by the author I haven't read yet, I plan to read hopefully a least a couple more this year.

I have Becoming Chloe, and since it's a short YA one (didn't know that til just now, as it's a Kindle copy), I may get to it soon. I must have a proper trawl through her catalog and pick specific ones out.

Ya I'd love to read When You Were Older this year.  Or Second Hand Heart.  But I am really trying to keep to my 350 page and less rule for the year.

Awww, that's a shame. My tablet always tells me 300-400 page books are like 200-275 pages, so I always think they're shorter and tear through them faster. I think that's one of the biggest secrets to my reading success this year :lol:

Great reviews Noll :)

Thanks Paula! :)

It just occured to me that I meant Where We Belong instead of When You Were Older. I do own the latter one but I haven't read it yet. For some reason I always confuse these two titles :doh:. Sorry :blush2:.

The Quiet Earth - Craig Harrison

Synopsis: John Hobson, a geneticist, wakes one morning to find his watch stopped at 6.12. The streets are deserted, there are no signs of life or death anywhere, and every clock he finds has stopped: at 6.12. Is Hobson the last person left on the planet?
Inventive and suspenseful, The Quiet Earth is a confronting journey into the future, and a dark past.

Review: I flipped back and forth on this one as I was reading it. On the one hand, it is superbly written with extremely evocative turns of phrase, and rich in prose rather than dense, so it is a pleasure to read. On the other hand, said prose is about two things. Firstly, the occurence of a freak experimental event which has apparently caused the wiping out of almost all of mankind - according to our scientist narrator who explains the science behind it quite vaguely. And secondly, the emotional resonance of a traumatic event in his personal life that led to the breakdown of his family. The two (I felt) did not gel very well, and the net result was a book that teetered between sci-fi and psychological drama without ever falling into one category or the other.

As a massive fan of the film - the reason I wanted to read the book at all - my view of the book was always going to be biased. I do try to keep an open mind when it comes to the source material for adaptations, and vice versa, and I had heard that the novel was very different, but I wasn't prepared for just how different. Fundamentally, the movie removed all of the psychological drama aspects. It went full sci-fi, and in the process produced one of the greatest Last Man sequences I've ever seen. Had the book gone entirely in either direction, as the film did, I would have liked it much more.

As per the film, I quite liked the narrator, and I hated Api (I can't put my finger on why, he was just a very unappealing character for me). As for the girl... well, the way in which she's dealt with in the book is probably one of the few superior aspects of the book, in my opinion. I really loved that aspect. All in all, I'd say the book is worth reading for the curious fans of the film who want to read the source, and probably for a lot of people who haven't seen the film. But for me, as someone who loved the film, I was already too biased in a specific direction to be able to love the undecidedness of the book's genre, even with all the beautiful writing.

Rating: 3.5/5

The Darkest Part of the Forest - Holly Black

Synopsis: Hazel lives with her brother, Ben, in the strange town of Fairfold where humans and fae exist side by side. The faeries’ seemingly harmless magic attracts tourists, but Hazel knows how dangerous they can be, and she knows how to stop them. Or she did, once. At the center of it all, there is a glass coffin in the woods. In it sleeps a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointed as knives. The boy has slept there for generations, never waking. Until one day, he does… As the world turns upside down, Hazel tries to remember her years pretending to be a knight. But swept up in new love, shifting loyalties, and the fresh sting of betrayal, will it be enough?

Review: This one was a bit of a brave step for me, being as it is that I have qualms with Holly's other books set within a Faerieland of some sort. Having recently read White Cat - slightly removed from her more faerietale style books - and having found it to be an excellent read, I decided to give this one a go. And I loved it. Absolutely loved it. It was, in writing, in character, in creativity, all of the things I wanted from Tithe when I first read it. It is all of the things that Valiant almost achieved. In this most recent novel from Holly Black, she has finally imagined a perfect faerietale.

The novel begins with the human world and some human characters - all very normal, aside from the horned boy - and gradually introduces element after element of fantasy - a changeling main character, unfortunate tourist stories involving the Folk, the complex history of Ben and Hazel, their gifts and all their encounters with the Folk throughout their lives. Each element is introduced so perfectly as to make this not feel like a fantasy story, but a world as real as our own where the Folk are an unusual, but not impossible, fact of life. The writing is fantastic, but I've come to expect that from Holly's more recent offerings, and the story is at times brilliantly dark. Some of the descriptions of death and corpses - and one particular scene where Hazel uses an unusual method to free herself from a tree - this is the stuff I would have loved to read as a teenager.

The characters were all likeable - its rare a book throws out two swoon-worthy fellas, but the Horned Boy and Jack have both got a lot going for them here. Hazel feels somewhat like an amalgamation of Kaye from Tithe and the title character from Valiant, but more refined and relatable than either. Even Leonie, a minor character with a small part to play, had me wishing for her safety at one point. The magic is extremely imaginative and detailed - creatures, poems, legends, monsters, twists and turns, the works. The book has it all and it all works magnificently. I'm giving it a 4.5 for now, because I felt the climactic scenes came on rather suddenly, but after its had time to settle it may move up to the full 5.

It really is very good Michelle, I plan to buy a hardcopy (pretty much everything I read these days is on my tablet) when I get paid on Friday :D

Just in the door and put a pizza in the oven and I'm already flicking through Uprooted - such a pretty cover!! And an endorsement from Lev Grossman on the cover - I adore Lev's Magicians.

I've got The Darkest Part of the Forest on my wishlist.  After reading your review I need to bump it up on my list.

Hope you enjoy it! :)

Good reviews, Noll. I'd be interested in your take on the ending of The Quiet Earth.

I  didn't understand it. Honestly,

the implication that he is stuck in some sort of loop, which is all I could possibly take from that ending, suggests to me that it's some kind of hell or purgatory where he's being forced to relive the consequences of his actions (which may or may not have actually happened in the real world). That, or he's insane and in an asylum imagining it all. Either way, it undermines the sci-fi element of the book and reduces the whole thing down to a thinly-supported philosophical musing, reminscient (for me) of the novel What Dreams May Come (another example of a film that did away with the philosophical stuff for the most part and ended up far better than the source book). But this is just imo, I don't really go in for vague stuff like this. I'm assuming the world is not actually stuck in a time loop because Hobson managed to explain everything else with his pretty vague science, but there was no mention of loops and no logical explanation for them that the reader can derive. What were your thoughts?