Noll's 2015 Book Blog

Nollaig

Magic 2.0: Off To Be The Wizard - Scott Meyer

Synopsis: Martin Banks is just a normal guy who has made an abnormal discovery: he can manipulate reality, thanks to reality being nothing more than a computer program. With every use of this ability, though, Martin finds his little “tweaks” have not escaped notice. Rather than face prosecution, he decides instead to travel back in time to the Middle Ages and pose as a wizard. What could possibly go wrong? An American hacker in King Arthur’s court, Martin must now train to become a full-fledged master of his powers, discover the truth behind the ancient wizard Merlin…and not, y’know, die or anything.

Review: Brilliant. Absolutely, hilariously fantastic. You're gonna need to whip out your nerd sense of humor for this one but as long as you've got that handy, you should get quite a few giggles out of this book. Thank god it's only the first in the series, because I need more. This novel actually walks a comedic tight-rope between the fantasy and sci-fi genres, and precariously leans from one direction to the other from beginning to end, firing off witty comments at every step.

Martin Banks has, essentially, found the source code to The Matrix. And this novel is what happens when a real nerd finds it, instead of Keanu Reeves. If we're all a computer simulation - who is running the program and why? Pfft! Who cares?! There are bank accounts to be adjusted and floors to violently vibrate three feet above in a crude attempt at flying! You don't need to be a computer nerd to 'get' this novel - Meyer knows well enough what he's talking about to make his concepts comprehensible to anybody. However, it might be an indicator that you have the necessary sense of humor if you are one. Don't expect the depth and intensity most fantasy will exhaust you with - this is a lighthearted bit of silliness.

When the novel switched setting to medieval England, I wasn't sure if it would delve too far into standard fantasy territory to keep appealing to me, but no - despite the medieval setting, the fact that the source of a wizard's power is also the source code of the world keeps the sci-fi elements sufficiently in the running to make this a superbly original premise with thoroughly satisfying exceution. However, Martin must first figure out how to become a wizard - and good lord is it entertaining to watch him learn. The characters are not the strongest element in this book - Meyer's matter-of-fact writing style is. It won't be to everyone's taste - it's pretty deadpan (feelings are not the point here, absurd entertainment is), but it's just so creative and sharp that I can't help but love everything about it. A ridiculous, riproaring, rollicking good read.

Rating: 5/5

Edited by Nollaig

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday's Gone - Sean Platt & David Wright

The plot is pretty enjoyable; it's not the most original thing out there (so far) - in fact it largely seems to be a talented reuse of many traditional horror elements. 

I for one am dying to start Season 2.

Rating: 4/5

Aw!  That's too bad you thought it kind of non- original.  I guess the plot isn't necessarily original, but I do agree about the characters.  You'll like Season 2 (and 3 if you choose to "finish" it to a conclusion).  I do like the whole idea of the "serial" and the fact that they did together all online.  And the "To be continued" type element kept me with it.

Hey you picked out basically the only negative thing I said! I said lots of positive things too, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! :lol: It's very difficult for books like that to be original. There are only so many options for what happened to the human race.

Great reviews :)!! I'm glad you enjoyed Yesterday's Gone and I'm thrilled you enjoyed Off to Be the Wizard! I hope you enjoy the next two books in the series also when you read them. I loved them too, though I fully imagine you'll want to read those other books first, that makes sense. I'm happy you enjoyed the book though, as I don't know anyone that has read it (other than random reviewers on Amazon or GoodReads, but I don't know those people) so it's great to hear the opinion of a friend :). Thank you for trying it, I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D.

I'm dying to start the next one hehe. I still giggle thinking about him hovering and shouting like a goat through a high-powered fan at Philip when they first meet! So so so funny. I love the retro game covers, too, I kind of want to buy hardcopies of the books to have those. I do like the Matrix-style cover with the wizard hat of the first book too. So pretty! I might get both :blush2:

I finished The Last Days Of Rabbit Hayes last night, another excellent read by Anna McPartlin - and definitely my favourite she's written so far. I must write up a full review. Seems every time I finish one review there's another to be written - I must be reading too fast! :lol:

Okay I need to tidy up my reading plan a bit. First, a list of all the unread books on my tablet, plus my hardcopy of Half Bad which I just bought because I have no willpower:

FULL TBR LIST:

Half Bad - Sally Green

Magic 2.0: Spell Or High Water - Scott Meyer

Magic 2.0: An Unwelcome Quest - Scott Meyer

World After - Susan Ee

Yesterday's Gone Season 2 - Sean Platt/David Wright

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

Pawnee - Leslie Knope

The Cipher - Kathe Koja

The Guest Cat - Takashi Hiraide

The Strange & Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender - Leslye Walton

The Bees - Laline Paull

Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng

Still Alice - Lisa Genova

An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth - Chris Hadfield

The Spinning Heart - Donal Ryan

The Unnamed - Joshua Ferris

Okay, I'm going to spend this afternoon finishing World After, because I've only a hundred pages to go and that'll knock a title off my list. Then, realistically, I'm probably going to start Half Bad, Spell Or High Water and YG: Season 2 all at once :roll:

I also gotta say, I'm pleased by the diversity of books on that list! There's some YA, some horror, some fantasy/sci-fi, some regular drama fiction, some non-fiction, an Irish author, a Japanese author, and an author who I know writes challenging prose. Go me and my branching out from YA!

Edited by Nollaig

Half Bad - Sally Green - I started listening to this one, and couldn't get on with it. I do want to give it another go reading it though, because I'm not sure the style works well with audio.

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart - I had trouble connecting with the characters at the beginning, but loved the 2nd half and the ending. Some love it, others not so much.

The Guest Cat - Takashi Hiraide - I started this, didn't get back to it for some reason. I love the cover though! ;)

The Bees - Laline Paull - Another one I started! very different, wasn't compelling me to carry on, but I will try again one day.

An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth - Chris Hadfield - On my TBR pile as well. 

Don't let any of my comments put you off, as we often disagree!  :giggle:

Don't let any of my comments put you off, as we often disagree!  :giggle:

Haha oh noooo I'll be disappointed if I don't like Half Bad after buying a hardcopy! I'm trusting Claire and my favourite radio DJ/book reviewer on this one hehe.

We Were Liars - I'm not very invested in liking this one. If I don't, I don't, I'm not bothered. It's just one of those highly-praised YA titles I've seen floating around for a couple of years. The Guest Cat - the aforementioned DJ/reviewer chose it for his March book, so I stuck it on the list. The Bees is a gamble, but I've seen a few good reviews of it on here so I said I'd chance it. And as for Chris Hadfield - I'm not really even sure what that book is about precisely, but I like Chris so I'm gonna give it a go. :D So those are all ones that I'm not super excited about, more just curious about :)

Except Half Bad. I want to love that one :lol:

Season 2 is good as well, although, you might as well put Season 3 on there because you'll want a conclusion :smile: They suck you in with that free Season 1 ;) (I like how they keep their work priced low, quite nice as Kindle ebooks are getting really pricey lately!)

Seems every time I finish one review there's another to be written - I must be reading too fast! :lol:

You read really fast, and so many at once, I was just marveling over that when I read your reviews and saw your book plan for Kerry!

Season 2 is good as well, although, you might as well put Season 3 on there because you'll want a conclusion :smile: They suck you in with that free Season 1 ;) (I like how they keep their work priced low, quite nice as Kindle ebooks are getting really pricey lately!)

You read really fast, and so many at once, I was just marveling over that when I read your reviews and saw your book plan for Kerry!

Hehe well its actually easier in Kerry because I take myself away to bed at 10:30pm there and read until 1:30 or 2am. I read on average a page a minute so that's 270-300 pages a night. That's most of a book. I read about the same amount at home in cork, but spread out over the evening.

Honestly, I don't know how my reading mojo got so bad the last few years. I really had no interest in reading much, unless the odd super exciting book came up. Now I'm tearing through stuff and writing reviews for everything - it's really fulfilling, if that doesn't sound odd.

Thanks Gaia :D So far so good!

Tearing through Yesterday's Gone because one of its authors agreed to an interview (I didn't track him down, he found me on Twitter when I tweeted about the first book!) so Half-Bad hasn't actually gotten started yet. I'm a bit of the way into Spell Or High Water, which is funny enough but I'm not sure where the plot is going yet so I'm not quite as taken with it, yet.

I really need to put this laptop away and do some reading!

Which one, Which one???  :jump: Tell him his genre has a HUGH fan in California :)

David Wright haha but I'm gonna try get Sean in on the action too. I'm gonna read probably at least four Seasons before I do the interview, but ideally I'll get up to the current one, whatever that is :roll:

True.  I am just so envious.  Will you/ could you ask them about their online working relationship?  It is my understanding they do much of their work together online, meeting only occasionally.  Sean would be a cool one to get, but David seems to be very interesting too (like I know them personally lol).  I'm just so into this serial business, I'd be interested to know who some of their modern influences are or who they look to as inspiration today, as there is a fair amount of serialized- or what can be termed serialized- material. 

You'll have to PM me spoilers :)

Edited by Anna Begins

Tearing through Yesterday's Gone because one of its authors agreed to an interview (I didn't track him down, he found me on Twitter when I tweeted about the first book!) so Half-Bad hasn't actually gotten started yet. I'm a bit of the way into Spell Or High Water, which is funny enough but I'm not sure where the plot is going yet so I'm not quite as taken with it, yet.

Very exciting about the interview!!

I hope it clears up soon, I'd tell you about the story of Spell Or High Water but I don't want to spoil it for you so I won't. 

Which one, Which one???  :jump: Tell him his genre has a HUGH fan in California :)

Ha! I see what you did there :giggle2:.

True.  I am just so envious.  Will you/ could you ask them about their online working relationship?  It is my understanding they do much of their work together online, meeting only occasionally.  Sean would be a cool one to get, but David seems to be very interesting too (like I know them personally lol).  I'm just so into this serial business, I'd be interested to know who some of their modern influences are or who they look to as inspiration today, as there is a fair amount of serialized- or what can be termed serialized- material. 

You'll have to PM me spoilers :)

Don't be envious at all. Seriously, all I do is literally tell them I'm chancing my arm but I write interviews for a forum and would they be interested. Granted in this case David spoke to me first, so that was just a bit of luck really. I'll totally ask them about their working relationship and genre inspirations for you, they're perfect questions for the interview. :D

Very exciting about the interview!!

I hope it clears up soon, I'd tell you about the story of Spell Or High Water but I don't want to spoil it for you so I won't. 

Ha! I see what you did there :giggle2:.

I didn't get the Hugh joke :blush2:  And don't worry, I will get through Spell Or High Water!

In other news, today my sparkly/shiny green TFIOS hardback arrived! This book is a 'perk' I got for donating to the Vlogbrother's annual fundraiser, the Project For Awesome. (I have another perk, pressed Nerdfighter pennies, on the way soon hopefully!)

I already have the world's most unique paperback TFIOS because it's signed and Hank drew all over it, but I love exclusive things like this :lol:

It comes with a useful list of suggestions on the back of what to do with it! :lol:

post-4797-0-32735300-1427102300_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-51581000-1427102316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nollaig

I didn't get the Hugh joke :blush2:  And don't worry, I will get through Spell Or High Water!

I thought Anna meant to say "huge fan" but said "hugh" because she's a big fan of Hugh Howey :D. I hope you enjoy it :)!

In other news, today my sparkly/shiny green TFIOS hardback arrived! This book is a 'perk' I got for donating to the Vlogbrother's annual fundraiser, the Project For Awesome. (I have another perk, pressed Nerdfighter pennies, on the way soon hopefully!)

I already have the world's most unique paperback TFIOS because it's signed and Hank drew all over it, but I love exclusive things like this :lol:

I am totally envious! I would've liked that book too, however it was way too much out of my budget to afford. I hope you enjoy it :D!

Ahhh do you take part in the Project For Awesome? That's amazing, I know very few people who do. I spend WAY too much money every year, donating to the P4A. It's for a good cause (or causes) but my poor wallet can't take it! :giggle2: They keep adding new perks after I've already bought one or two, that's how they get me. I managed to get the TFIOS in a flash sale where it was only like $20 instead of the $30/$40 it was originally listed at.

I'm really hoping that, with the Paper Towns film coming out this year, that there will be exclusive Paper Towns goodies in the P4A 2015.

Edited by Nollaig

I've only been really following vlogbrothers and some of their activities (like P4A) since one, maybe two years. They do a lot of great things.

I'm glad you got so lucky! That's very nice :D. That would be great, yes!