Noll's 2015 Book Blog

Nollaig

Hey Steve - haha no worries, I hate when people dig at my favourite books too so I'll say nothing! Well... I'll say things in here coz it's a book blog, but I won't come knocking on the door in your thread going HEY YOU :motz::lol:

I'll check out those titles, though I probably won't read the doorstop ones simply because I'm not really in the mood for big books this year.

Thanks for the recommendations :D

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never felt that way, and it happened quite often. Other people became angry when I did the same, but I never understood why. It's good for a book to lose its favourite status, it means you're streamlining your tastes and it opens new perspectives on what to read next.

By knowing what people dislike about what you like, you can make a critical judgement yourself. In time, the books you want to read will be completely different from the ones you read before, and you get better by the experience. The best is when, no matter how much you read, some old favourites never lose their status, because when you read them again you notice new things you weren't capable of noticing before. As a bonus, you may interpret the narrative in a different perspective as you change through life experiences.

Edited by Sousa

You've read some good books recently, Noll. :boogie:

Someone else read I Let You Go recently, so I've already added it to my wishlist, and I'm intrigued by the twist. I love a good, well-written twist!!

Hey Steve - haha no worries, I hate when people dig at my favourite books too so I'll say nothing! Well... I'll say things in here coz it's a book blog, but I won't come knocking on the door in your thread going HEY YOU :motz::lol:

I'll check out those titles, though I probably won't read the doorstop ones simply because I'm not really in the mood for big books this year.

Thanks for the recommendations :D

No probs :smile:   In all cases I'd highly recommend trying the samples on Amazon first.  I think/hope you might like Barrayar and/or Replay, though :smile:

By knowing what people dislike about what you like, you can make a critical judgement yourself. In time, the books you want to read will be completely different from the ones you read before, and you get better by the experience. The best is when, no matter how much you read, some old favourites never lose their status, because when you read them again you notice new things you weren't capable of noticing before. As a bonus, you may interpret the narrative in a different perspective as you change through life experiences.

Probably worth me pointing out I happily read and enjoyed all four Twilight books. :giggle: I don't read for the sake of critical assessment or personal development, I read for funsies. Things don't have to be good or flawless for me to love them. :shrug:

You've read some good books recently, Noll. :boogie:

Someone else read I Let You Go recently, so I've already added it to my wishlist, and I'm intrigued by the twist. I love a good, well-written twist!!

You'll love it so, read it read it read it! :D

No probs :smile: In all cases I'd highly recommend trying the samples on Amazon first. I think/hope you might like Barrayar and/or Replay, though :smile:

Replay sounds really interesting, I definitely love the concept anyway!

Probably worth me pointing out I happily read and enjoyed all four Twilight books. :giggle: I don't read for the sake of critical assessment or personal development, I read for funsies. Things don't have to be good or flawless for me to love them. :shrug:

And I enjoyed the seven Harry Potter books when I read them. It's not so much about critical assessment or personal development as it is about respecting others differing opinions to the point of trying to understand why do they have a different opinion.

And I enjoyed the seven Harry Potter books when I read them. It's not so much about critical assessment or personal development as it is about respecting others differing opinions to the point of trying to understand why do they have a different opinion.

You do realise I was joking in my post up-thread, don't you?  I thought I put enough smileys to make it clear . . .

Replay sounds really interesting, I definitely love the concept anyway!

It's full of surprises, too :smile:   Hee, I just recommended Patrick Lee to someone on another forum - I'm going to get someone else to read his books if it's the last thing I do :theboss:  :giggle2:

Probably worth me pointing out I happily read and enjoyed all four Twilight books. :giggle: I don't read for the sake of critical assessment or personal development, I read for funsies. 

:giggle2:  `Funsies` sounds so much better than `reading for entertainment`.  :D

Well I don't think that just applies to reading, that should apply to all aspects of life, and is a fairly broad/serious point to extract from a joke-y comment about favourite books.

It's full of surprises, too :smile:   Hee, I just recommended Patrick Lee to someone on another forum - I'm going to get someone else to read his books if it's the last thing I do :theboss:  :giggle2:

Is the breach kinda horror/monster-y too, or pure sci-fi? The synopsis on Goodreads makes it sound like it could go either way!

:giggle2:  `Funsies` sounds so much better than `reading for entertainment`.  :D

'Reading for entertainment' does sound rather serious doesn't it? :giggle:

Is the breach kinda horror/monster-y too, or pure sci-fi? The synopsis on Goodreads makes it sound like it could go either way!

It's a thriller with an SF idea at its core, no monsters.  Basically, it's about an artefact that's come through a doorway to another dimension that a bunch of scientists have opened in an Area 51-type facility deep beneath some place in Wyoming.  It's completely bonkers but so much fun (well, I thought it was anyway! :lol: ).  It's the first in a trilogy, if that makes any difference.  Runner is the first in a series but it can be read on its own.  No monsters in that one, either (just the human kind).

Do you have a funzee onesie to complete the image? :unsure:  :giggle2:

I... I do have a onesie :blush2: It's the Care Bear, Grumpy. I wear it when I'm in a bad mood and want to curl up in bed with tea and a book :giggle:

It's a thriller with an SF idea at its core, no monsters.  Basically, it's about an artefact that's come through a doorway to another dimension that a bunch of scientists have opened in an Area 51-type facility deep beneath some place in Wyoming.  It's completely bonkers but so much fun (well, I thought it was anyway! :lol: ).  It's the first in a trilogy, if that makes any difference.  Runner is the first in a series but it can be read on its own.  No monsters in that one, either (just the human kind).

Okay that's fine, I don't mind either way, just wanted an idea what to expect. I'll probably stagger my Sci-Fi reading, with a few others between each one, so I don't overload my brain. The Breach and Replay seem like good starting places, given that they're not 700-800 pages or the second in series. I might read I Am Legend.. I've seen the film and liked it, but I've read another Matheson (What Dreams May Come) and thought it was pretty awful - more like a thesis, going by the extensive bibliography!

#68 The Last Leaves Falling - Sarah Benwell

Synopsis: And these are they. My final moments. They say a warrior must always be mindful of death, but I never imagined that it would find me like this . . .Japanese teenager, Sora, is diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). Lonely and isolated, Sora turns to the ancient wisdom of the samurai for guidance and comfort. But he also finds hope in the present; through the internet he finds friends that see him, not just his illness. This is a story of friendship and acceptance, and testing strength in an uncertain future.

Review: What a beautiful little book. I loved everything that was in this book; I think my only problem was what it was lacking. Set in Japan, and told from the perspective of the fairly-likeable Sora, the reader is given snapshot insights into the gradual deterioration of the narrator as his body is consumed by a terrifying, terminal illness. Snapshots include parts of his daily routine with his mother - getting up in the morning, cooking dinner - writing to his grandfather, visiting the doctor, and talking to friends online - and as each thing becomes increasingly difficult - and ultimately impossible - the heartwrenching reality of something so terrible is portrayed incredibly gently. At times, it is the utter softness with which the sad things happen that make them so hard to read.

During the final months of his condition, Sora finds new friends online. His conversations with these friends break up the monologue of narration by including chat logs of both the forum he finds them on, and the private messaging system where they make contact and ultimately become friends. Both Mai and Kai are extremely likeable characters (particularly Kai, he is what we call in Ireland 'a lad' - an affectionate term for a cheeky but charismatic young fella). Both Mai and Kai are struggling with discovering and following their dreams, and it is in light of Sora's own inability to follow his that they find the courage to follow theirs. The combination of knowing they will go on to live their lives, and that they brightened the final days of Sora's, make this book uplifting and hopeful.

While I loved the beautiful writing, the clever use of chat logs, the characters, and the occasional oriental twist - I was very much taken in by the beauty - the more I think about it now, the more I feel it lacked. It was too short, it needed more character development. It didn't feel like it took place in Japan, it felt like it could have taken place in any western country. And ultimately, I found the ending very problematic. It was sweet at the time, but I feel like in reality about an hour after the ending things would go rapidly downhill for everyone. I would definitely recommend reading this book, it's definitely worth the experience of drifting through the brief intersection of these kids' lives, but it's not quite perfect. Will definitely read more by this author.

Rating: 4/5

I might read I Am Legend.. I've seen the film and liked it, but I've read another Matheson (What Dreams May Come) and thought it was pretty awful - more like a thesis, going by the extensive bibliography!

Oh dear :lol:  I haven't read that one, and I don't think I will now! :giggle2:

For what its worth (and from me in this genre, next to nothing but...), Gaia recommended Phillip K. Dick and I would second that.  I read A Scanner Darkly this year and it ended up on my top 10 of all time.  I only read "soft" sci fi  :giggle2:  like Heinlein's Starship Troopers or Brandon Sanderson's Steelheart... but both of those have an apocalyptic thing goin' on too, so.  :P  Edit- I would not consider A Scanner Darkly "soft" though.

Edited by Anna Begins

Noll, I've read I Am Legend, didn't much care for it.  Just ok, IMO.  But, interestingly enough, although I haven't seen it, I've read that the film of it is nothing like the book.....go figure! :)

I actually have Electric Sheep on my tablet, I must get around to giving it a go!

I've heard good things, but it sounds too complicated for me :P. I'd describe his work like Chuck Palahniuk meets Hunter Thompson. Then he has some waaaay out there stuff like...Ubik. Spell check does not like 'Ubik' :P

Edited by Anna Begins

I actually have Electric Sheep on my tablet, I must get around to giving it a go!

I really enjoyed that one.  Please don't expect it to be Blade Runner in book form, though  :smile:

Noll, I've read I Am Legend, didn't much care for it.  Just ok, IMO.  

Heathen  :P

If it's the Will Smith film you mean, it's the worst book to screen adaptation I've seen  :banghead:

Noll, I've read I Am Legend, didn't much care for it.  Just ok, IMO.  But, interestingly enough, although I haven't seen it, I've read that the film of it is nothing like the book.....go figure! :)

Hmmm... I'm not in any hurry to read it anyway.

Great review of The Last Leaves Falling! It sounds very interesting :).

Thanks!

I've heard good things, but it sounds too complicated for me :P. I'd describe his work like Chuck Palahniuk meets Hunter Thompson. Then he has some waaaay out there stuff like...Ubik. Spell check does not like 'Ubik' :P

I don't really know much about it to be honest! Also dunno who Hunter Thompson is! :blush2:

I really enjoyed that one.  Please don't expect it to be Blade Runner in book form, though  :smile:

Heathen  :P

If it's the Will Smith film you mean, it's the worst book to screen adaptation I've seen  :banghead:

I've never seen Blade Runner, so my opinion will be as unbiased as is possible!

It was the Will Smith one I kinda liked :blush2: