Frankie reads 2015

frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I needed a little cheering up today and so I took the tram and went to one of my favorite secondhand bookshops in Helsinki. I haven't been there in a long time, maybe a year, and so I thought I was due a visit. I found two books that I couldn't leave behind: 

Bee Season by Myla Goldberg - This novel is on the Rory Gilmore Books challenge :smile2: 

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch - This is the second novel in the series that I've been really wanting to get into. Kylie got me the first novel as a present a few years ago :smile2: 

Both were in great condition, both were paperbacks and the Aaronovitch novel matches the edition of the first novel I have in the series. Both were only 1€, each :smile2: 

I've now taken pictures of my bookcase in my new Helsinki apartment :smile2: Note that on some shelves there are three rows of books, and only the front row will show, obviously. At this point, I can't be bothered to take pictures of each of the book rows :blush:

This is the bookcase: 

post-4458-0-14539800-1448647591_thumb.png

(Am having some problems with the file sizes, will post more soon...)

Edit: And yes, as you can see, I have space for more books.... :unsure: Should not take that as encouragement!! 

Edited by frankie

Bookshelves:

Vampires, Harry Potter, mystery/suspense/thriller, Deavers and Dexters

post-4458-0-13087500-1448649331_thumb.png

BCF recs, contemporary misc, psychology/true crime, non-fiction

post-4458-0-90116600-1448649380_thumb.png

Rory Gilmore -challenge books, 1001 Books -challenge books, sci-fi/fantasy

post-4458-0-00100100-1448649429_thumb.png

More Rory Gilmore books, historical fiction

post-4458-0-59575500-1448649462_thumb.png

The rest of the pictures: 

Nordic literature, Stephen King, classics 

post-4458-0-63495800-1448652969_thumb.png

Dictionaries, linguistics, language, cook books (and Letters and Numbers :lol::wub: )

post-4458-0-93897600-1448653005_thumb.png

Australiana, dog/animal books, female (auto)bios, literature studies 

post-4458-0-67750100-1448653055_thumb.png

Children's/YA, male (auto)bios, Hemingway

post-4458-0-45941600-1448653106_thumb.png

Edited by frankie

I love your bookshelves :D!

Thanks! :smile2: I'm so pleased that I finally made the effort to take pictures, as I've been meaning to do it for ages :blush: 

Adrian Mole and the Cappucino Years. Just how many of those books are there?! I only know the first one, but I feel like there are tons more!

I had to wiki the list because I can never remember.... There are 8 books to the series :) I think I only have three books...? I used to own the omnibus for the first three books, too, but it was in such bad condition that I had to set it free. I also had a copy of The Weapons of Mass Destruction, but it was a huge hardback and I want to own all the books in the same format, i.e. in small paperbacks. So I gave that one away. 

It's sad that there will be no more Adrian books in the future :( 

#71. The Hiding Place by John Burley

Blurb: Dr Lise Shields works tirelessly with the most deadly criminals in America. At Menaker psychiatric hospital all are guilty and no one ever leaves. Then she meets Jason Edwards. 

Jason is an anomaly. No transfer order, no patient history, no paperwork at all. Is he really guilty of the horrific crimes he's been sentenced for? 

Caught up in a web of unanswered questions and hastily concealed injustices, the spotlight begins to shine on Lise. She knows she's being watched and she's running out of time. All is not as it seems at Menaker psychiatric hospital. 

Thoughts: This is a very tricky book to review without giving anything away... So I'll keep it short and not too descriptive. The novel started out very well and I got into it right from the start. Then the second third of the novel started getting really odd and it's like the style of the novel changed too. It sort of turned into an American action movie and I got frustrated and thought I would dislike the rest of the novel. The last third of the novel, then, got interesting again, and then of course there were the twists that one had been expecting at some point of the novel, and then I had to re-assess my whole intake of the novel. By the start of the novel I'd thought it might end up being a 5/5, and in the middle I thought I'd be going for 1/5, and then by the end I was completely thrown off :D I'm still having very mixed feelings about it, and I'm still undecided whether it's because the novel wasn't a solid masterpiece or because the author made me think it wasn't. (This won't make sense unless you've read the book.)

3/5

Edited by frankie

#72. Dear Mr. M. by Herman Koch 

From letterenfonds.nlFollowing his ruthless dissections of the hypocrisy of the moneyed classes and corruption in the medical profession, Herman Koch turns his dystopian gaze on the literary world. In his new novel, Dear Mr M., he tells the tale of a fading writer held grimly to account by a neighbour with a score to settle. Did Reckoning, the novel that cemented Mr M’s literary success all those years ago, culpably distort the facts of a mysterious missing persons case?

Thoughts: This novel started out well with me, I was met with a rather non-traditional narrative at first, which I really enjoyed. The downstairs neighbor is telling the story and he is addressing the author. This allowed me to gain information of the author, but also of the neighbor, and his attitudes and world views and beliefs. It was so clever, I thought. I would've wished this narrative to continue throughout the novel, but it didn't. Instead, we got about four more different narratives. Each of which I didn't mind, as such, and even liked, but all the same, I wished we could go back to the first narrative. 

The different narratives were interesting, though. There was commentary on how novels and literature work. And things that do not work in novels, which were then actually found in this particular novel. It was a bit underlined, but I found it funny nonetheless. All the talk about authors and their work was fascinating, but in hindsight, I felt like that could've been another story, another novel. 

But as Mr. M. said, he had to pick one plot line to go with in his novel, more would have been too much. And yet the author of this novel went with many different narratives. I'm not sure if I'm using this word correctly, but it was so meta.

This novel still flew by me, I was glued to the pages when I sat down to read it. It will be interesting to see if I will like it more or less after some time has passed. With some novels, you grow to appreciate them more after having had some time to mull over them. And for some, the opposite happens. 

I believe I need to read Summer House with Swimming Pool, too. :)

3/5  (I almost couldn't decide between 3-4. For now, it's 3/5.)

Edit: I want to add that I just loved the Finnish cover of the novel :wub:

naapuri.jpg

The book is called 'Naapuri' in Finnish, which means 'Neighbor'. All the three novels by Koch that have been translated into Finnish have short, one-word titles: The Dinner is Illallinen (which means 'dinner'. We don't have articles in Finnish), and Summer House with Swimming Pool is Lääkäri, which means 'doctor'. 

Edited by frankie

Great review, I'm glad you liked the book :). I do like that cover! My library copy didn't have a great cover (well, it was the big font edition).

I look forward to read Zomerhuis met Zwembad (or Summer House with Swimming Pool) too, I bought it a few months ago. The main character I believe is a doctor so I guess that's why it's called that in Finnish?

Great review, I'm glad you liked the book :). I do like that cover! My library copy didn't have a great cover (well, it was the big font edition).

What was your cover like?

I look forward to read Zomerhuis met Zwembad (or Summer House with Swimming Pool) too, I bought it a few months ago. The main character I believe is a doctor so I guess that's why it's called that in Finnish?

Yes, that must be it. I want to read the book, but I'm not looking forward to it that much... The premise doesn't sound as appealing as the other two novels' have :unsure:

Good review,frankie.  :)  I'm really looking forward to Dear Mr. M coming out over here next year!

I think I liked Summer House with Swimming Pool a bit more than The Dinner

Good review,frankie.  :)  I'm really looking forward to Dear Mr. M coming out over here next year!

Thanks pontalba :) I can't wait for you English speakers to be able to read the book, too :lol: I'm really curious to see how people who've read Koch's earlier novels like this new one. Athena and I had pretty similar views, although I believe I may have liked the book a bit better than she did, and so I'm looking forward to seeing if there's anyone who will absolutely love it :) 

I think I liked Summer House with Swimming Pool a bit more than The Dinner.

That's interesting! Which one did you read first? 

I visited the library yesterday, had to return a few novels. I had time so I took a quick look at the removed books sale -trolley and found a copy of Juhannus italialaiseen tapaan by Annakaisa Iivari, for 50cnt, and so I had to get it. It's a Finnish novel I read last year, by the end of the year, and which I really enjoyed reading. It's about a woman who's a bit tired of her life and wants an adventure and so she rents a cottage in Toscana with her friends, and the trip doesn't turn out to be as glamorous and sophisticated as she expected/wanted. Not that there's really anything wrong with Italy or her friends, it's really her that's the problem... I thought the book was light and funny and the characters were from Espoo where I lived last year, and one of them was from Karelia, just like me, so that made it very special for me :) 

This means that I have acquired 32 books this year, which is great! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I won't run into any other secondhand books I feel I need to buy before the end of the year, as I want to stay under 41 acquired books which was how many books I acquired last year. Setting new records and all :) 

What was your cover like?

Since it was the 'big font edition', it was plain yellow with a tiny picture on the cover that I think is meant to represent the cover of the original book. I remember it being kind of reddish (various shades of red in the picture). I know the original book has a nicer cover, looking like a red letter I think.

I visited the library yesterday, had to return a few novels. I had time so I took a quick look at the removed books sale -trolley and found a copy of Juhannus italialaiseen tapaan by Annakaisa Iivari, for 50cnt, and so I had to get it. It's a Finnish novel I read last year, by the end of the year, and which I really enjoyed reading. It's about a woman who's a bit tired of her life and wants an adventure and so she rents a cottage in Toscana with her friends, and the trip doesn't turn out to be as glamorous and sophisticated as she expected/wanted. Not that there's really anything wrong with Italy or her friends, it's really her that's the problem... I thought the book was light and funny and the characters were from Espoo where I lived last year, and one of them was from Karelia, just like me, so that made it very special for me :) 

This means that I have acquired 32 books this year, which is great! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I won't run into any other secondhand books I feel I need to buy before the end of the year, as I want to stay under 41 acquired books which was how many books I acquired last year. Setting new records and all :)

How nice you found that book. And well done on staying underneath 41 acquired books :). I wish you luck and hope you can stay behind it until the end of the year.

Wow, that's awesome! I'm a little over your 2014 number then, because I've acquired 42 books. Gosh it's hard, isn't it? I'm still trying desperately to read more than I've bought. I actually went through my bookcases the other night and picked out the shortest books I could find.  :blush2: It's probably cheating, but I don't care. ;)

I think you asked me somewhere where I'm up to with Dexter? Did I answer you? I don't think I did, sowwy. :( I watched the first ep of season 7 but then stopped to wait until you got the DVDs. Have you started watching it yet?

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

What an awfully unfair question! :lol: I read A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs back in 2008, long before I started keeping a notebook about books (including quotes, book lists etc etc.). I don't have any notes of the quotes! So, I decided to go on Goodreads and read all the quotes on the book that were posted on there by other users, and choose from those. This is what I chose:

"But I also knew that one day, I would grow up. One day, I would be twenty, or thirty, or forty, even fifty and sixty and seventy and eighty and maybe even one hundred years old. And all those years were mine, they belonged to nobody but me. So even if I was unhappy now, it could all change tomorrow. Maybe I didn't even need to jump off the cliff to experience that kind of freedom. Maybe the fact that I knew such a freedom existed in the world meant that I could someday find it."

It's part of a bigger quote, but I didn't want to quote the whole thing so as not to spoil anything for you guys. 

(I also realized that this is one of the first books I read after having joined the forum :) Hehe!)

Didn't see this before....looks absolutely fascinating!

#67. The Accident by Linwood Barclay 

Blurb: Glen Garber's life has just spiraled out of control. His wife's car has been found at the scene of a drink-driving accident that took three lives. Not only is she dead, but it appears she was the cause of the accident.

Suddenly Glen has to deal with a potent mixture of emotions: grief at the loss of his wife, along with anger at her reckless behavior that has left their young daughter motherless. If only he could convince himself that Sheila wasn't responsible for the tragedy - but as more and more secrets begin to surface, Glen may have to face something much, much worse... 

Thoughts: Barclay doesn't disappoint :exc: I found this book to be a real page-turner and didn't really want to put it down. Another great thriller by Barclay. Not his finest, as I didn't find the case as interesting as most of his others, but it was gripping nonetheless. I did manage to figure out a few of the main things, though, which was rather surprising because I usually have no clue. 

Barclay's recommended, as always! 

4/5

I always like Barclay's stories.

Thanks pontalba :) I can't wait for you English speakers to be able to read the book, too :lol: I'm really curious to see how people who've read Koch's earlier novels like this new one. Athena and I had pretty similar views, although I believe I may have liked the book a bit better than she did, and so I'm looking forward to seeing if there's anyone who will absolutely love it :) 

That's interesting! Which one did you read first?

I read The Dinner first. I just found Summer House to be more complex, and darker (actually).

Since it was the 'big font edition', it was plain yellow with a tiny picture on the cover that I think is meant to represent the cover of the original book. I remember it being kind of reddish (various shades of red in the picture). I know the original book has a nicer cover, looking like a red letter I think.

That sounds odd... Do you mean the library has a specific plain cover for all the big font editions, they only add a small picture of the 'real cover' on the front? 

How nice you found that book. And well done on staying underneath 41 acquired books . I wish you luck and hope you can stay behind it until the end of the year.

I think I'll be too busy to go to any secondhand bookshops this year, so I'm hoping I will stay under 41 :) I haven't wished for any books, either. I mean when my parents have asked me what I want. Haven't said anything about books. :) 

Wow, that's awesome! I'm a little over your 2014 number then, because I've acquired 42 books. Gosh it's hard, isn't it? I'm still trying desperately to read more than I've bought. I actually went through my bookcases the other night and picked out the shortest books I could find.   It's probably cheating, but I don't care.

You're doing so well, I'm so proud of you! :smile2: It is hard, although when one's constantly broke, it's not really that hard. It's sad and saddening, but not hard, physically. I don't remember when I ordered a book from BookDepo for myself the last time. Might be a few years. Oh crap, wait, I did order It's Kind of a Funny Story at the start of this year or last, so it's not that long ago.. :lol: Never mind!! 

And it's not cheating!! Besides, all the books you've read are from your TBR piles, right? I've only read maybe 6 TBR books, the rest have been library reads. So you're way ahead of me with the TBR thing :yes: 

I think you asked me somewhere where I'm up to with Dexter? Did I answer you? I don't think I did, sowwy. I watched the first ep of season 7 but then stopped to wait until you got the DVDs. Have you started watching it yet?

I think I asked you on FB... No you didn't answer, but I know you probably forgot or something, don't worry! I haven't started watching it yet, but I got the DVD from the library yesterday, and I'm pretty stoked that you stopped to wait for me :wub: Do you want to go ahead and watch some eps now? I don't know if I'm in the mood today, but I could start tomorrow. 

Didn't see this before....looks absolutely fascinating!

I would highly recommend Augusten Burroughs :yes: But I know his humor and style is not for everyone. 

I always like Barclay's stories.

You have good taste :D 

I read The Dinner first. I just found Summer House to be more complex, and darker (actually).

Darker than The Dinner? Ooooh :) Do you know, I visited the library in the center that I don't normally visit, when I was on my way home from work today, and there was a copy of the Summer House book and so I borrowed it :D 

Oh! Meant to say, great pics! Very nice shelves. 

Thanks! :smile2: 

I'm extremely happy to report that I had the last two 4H clubs this week, on Monday and earlier today. No more kiddies!  ^_^  The younger Monday club (theater club) kids were mostly a royal pain, a few of them in particular, and the other supervisor who was in charge of the schedule and the activities was careless, disorganized, uninspiring, unreliable, uninterested in the kids etc. etc., but she always acted like she had everything under control... :thud: So glad I don't have to work with her anymore. The Tuesday club (art club) kids were loads nicer and more fun to work with, as was the supervisor there, too. But still, I'm so happy that it's over for the year  :D   I feel like I'm off for a holiday... What a happy feeling  :coolsnow:

One thing I will say about the theater club: the older kids' group was pretty okay, and I learned about the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius while working with them, as they were doing a play on him. I know Sibelius, of course, but I didn't know/remember much about his life... :blush: His wife seemed like an interesting character and yesterday I noticed that someone wrote a book on her last spring. I made a reservation for the book last night, but today when I visited the library, I found a 'bestseller' copy of the book there!  :exc:   It's one of those copies that you can't reserve because it's so new, and so as someone had just returned it, I was able to snatch it. I'm hoping to get to the book soon. 

I posted on FB a few of Sibelius's compositions on Sunday, as it was Finland's Independence Day. Some of you may have noticed the links. I'll post one of them on here, too. 

Edit: I forgot to say that Jean Sibelius, the great Finnish composer, was born 150 years ago today, so it's a celebratory year. Today more than 1,000 people went to Senaatintori to sing the Hymn, Op 26: 

(Isn't it a pretty church, in the background? :wub:

Edited by frankie

#73. Lily Alone by Jacqueline Wilson

Blurb: Lily isn't home ALONE - but she wishes she was. Looking after her three younger siblings is a log of responsibility. 

when Mum goes off on holiday with her new boyfriend and leaves Lily, six-year-old twins Bliss and Baxter, and little sister Pixie on their own, Lily is determined to keep the family together and show they can cope without any grown-ups. But when she fears their secret is going to be discovered, she decides they need a safer hiding place. What could be better than to take all the little ones for a camping adventure in the park? Plenty of space to run about, no flat to tidy, and surely no chance anyone will guess they're there. 

Thoughts: This was another great Jacqueline Wilson to read, but I have to say there wasn't anything special about it like in most of her other novels. I liked the book and it flowed as easily as all of the others, but there was not 'it' factor in this one for me. And that's probably as harsh as I can be re: Wilson's novels... Which means she's great :smile2: Sure, if you read too many in a row, the books are a bit samey... Or at least some of them can be. But that's easily fixed: read other books in between! :D 

3/5

I've once again forgotten the 30 Days book reminiscence... I'll try to get back on track again: 

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

I know there are some, and a few come to mind quite quickly, but I remember that I was making a list of possible candidates the last time I was doing these book things, and now I shall try and find the list and make a firm decision. Difficult! 

Oh here it is. The titles I've scribbled down: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King, The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty. I'm sure there's more, but these are the ones I've written down. 

TA was a big disappointment because there was so much hype re: the novel, and it was supposed to change one's life. It didn't, and I didn't like the book. TGWLTG was a disappointment because it's one of the very few Stephen King novels I bought a copy of pretty soon after it was published (also bought a copy for my then BF), and it was nothing like the Stephen King I'd gotten used to. TOD was a Rory Gilmore challenge book, and a Pulitzer prize winner!!! :thud: 

Do you know what. I have such great reasonings behind all of those three disappointments, that I'm not going to choose between them. They were all great disappointments, and that's that.