Blog a Penguin Classic!

I'm a bit worried about writing this review! My book is Plays Extravagant, by George Bernard Shaw. Last night, I checked out the site and one of the three reviews was of Plays Political by the same author, so I had a look... and wished I hadn't.

The standard of the review is amazingly high - it reads like it was written by someone with a Masters degree in English Literature! Considering my reviews tend to go along the lines of "I liked/didn't like it because...", I'm too intimidated to post anything now!! :lol:

And I too am wondering what they do if you don't post a review! Do they sue you for breach of contract? Arrgh! :)

I'm with you on this - I'm terrified of what I've had selected and am not brilliant at reviews because I like to have a personal response to what I read. I feel like I've 'blagged a Penguin classic'.!!!!:D

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you think they hunt you down if you don't post a review within six weeks? After all, they've got your address! :) Perhaps a house move is in order! :lol:

You could leave the book for them on the doorstep:lol:. Wait a minute my book (700 pages) is a doorstep:lol:

Oh Judy, I don't envy you that one! :) Perhaps as it is such a long book you could ask for an extension? (Or get a few more copies and probably build an extension! :lol: )

Personally, I reckon the first few people are closely connected with Penguin. After all, they only have a limited number to give away.. we've only just discovered it, and yet these people have had time to read and review! They're probably people who read classics all the time, and/or review all the time.

So, I say we should all just read (or even just attempt to read!) ours, and be proud to give our honest opinions! :)

They have offered the deal - so if the book is indigestible, boring, pretentious or even great I think we should say so. They haven't stipulated having qualifications to review so I don't suppose there is much they can do except charge you the price of the book. And then I suppose you can always say it was impossible to read and I want my money back... this is me thinking out loud :)

I heard about this in the news, but it was the first I'd seen of the site.

YIKES! They are very professional, aren't they?!:) I write reviews for an online site, I love to give my perspective as a reader - for example, why I liked, would I pay money for it etc - luckily my review site is all about the readers!

I think happyanddandy has a point:lol: Not all classics are great;)

Personally, I reckon the first few people are closely connected with Penguin. After all, they only have a limited number to give away.. we've only just discovered it, and yet these people have had time to read and review! They're probably people who read classics all the time, and/or review all the time.

So, I say we should all just read (or even just attempt to read!) ours, and be proud to give our honest opinions! :)

While that could be true, I signed up for this back in May/June when they advertised it in a monthly newsletter and they said that the 20 first to email would be getting a book. My deadline was August 6th (when the site went up) and since I live in Sweden I got my book on the Thursday before deadline (which was on Monday), and the review was to be max 200 words, which I found quite hard.

So anyway, what Michelle said could be true, but I know that there are regular readers as well since I'm one of them (although my review isn't up yet). However, I don't think you should worry at all. What Penguin wants is regular readers' opinions and that's what they're getting. Good luck everyone, and don't worry!

I think anyone who's nervous should check out this review:

http://www.blogapenguinclassic.co.uk/site/pcReadReview.php5?review_id=1

It's a genuine opinion, and gets interesting responses, some, sadly, from the "ooh, aren't you a bit thick" school, and others defending the review. But there's already one person brave enough to hack away at a sacred cow, so there's no reason anyone here should be ashamed to do the same.

I think anyone who's nervous should check out this review:

http://www.blogapenguinclassic.co.uk/site/pcReadReview.php5?review_id=1

It's a genuine opinion, and gets interesting responses, some, sadly, from the "ooh, aren't you a bit thick" school, and others defending the review. But there's already one person brave enough to hack away at a sacred cow, so there's no reason anyone here should be ashamed to do the same.

By my standard that is a fantastic entry!

Sorry, I feel even more nervous now :)

Thanks Andy - that review was brilliant and inspirational - will definately be using that first line (mentioned a few posts down - inspired by your comment) and it's encouraged me to be totally honest.

Oooh and I could mention that I studied philosophy (my selection is philosophical) for all of one week and along with the rest of the class did abysmally with it.

See - I've made a start and not even received the book yet!!!!

Has anyone actually received their book yet? It's ten days now and not a peep... Is this book being sent from Outer Mongolia or something?

I hope the six weeks starts from when you get the book, and not when you were allocated it, as at this rate I'll have about three days to read and review it! :D

Has anyone actually received their book yet? It's ten days now and not a peep... Is this book being sent from Outer Mongolia or something?

I hope the six weeks starts from when you get the book, and not when you were allocated it, as at this rate I'll have about three days to read and review it! :D

No I haven't got mine either. Don't worry it's six weeks from when you get it as far as I remember :eek2: