Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2015

Little Pixie

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you enjoy all the new books :D! I own Kafka on the Shore but I haven't read it yet.

Thanks !  :D

I also got  Black Headed Pins - Constance & Gwyneth Little   £5.80  :smile:  - It`s a series I`ve wanted to try for a while, but kept putting off, `cos I couldn`t find any excerpts.  

#117   G`Day to Die - Maddy Hunter

The Seniors from Iowa are off on another adventure, this time visiting Australia with Emily as the tour guide. After the brilliance of the first two Passport to Peril books, and the mehness of the third one, this fifth one is one of those ` diverting enough, and it`s nice to spend time with all the amusing Seniors, but doesn`t quite hit the spot ` books. 

#118   The Players Come Again - Amanda Cross

Professor Kate Fansler is approached to write the biography of the wife of a famous author. It starts slowly, meanders about and doesn`t seem to be going anywhere - then all the plot points suddenly come together and you realise you`ve read an elegantly constructed novel which works on many levels and you just think WOW. Difficult to explain - but worthwhile sticking with it - the book is a meditation on secrecy. 

#119   Untidy Murder - Frances and Richard Lockridge

Published in 1947.  Illustrator Dorian is visiting the offices of a magazine about a job, when the advertising exec she had an appointment to see turns out to have just jumped out of his office window .... or was he pushed ?  It looks like suicide, but when Dorian is followed home and then kidnapped, her husband Lt. Bill Weigand of the NYPD has to reinvestigate the crime scene, and work out what Dorian could`ve seen which pointed to murder. Along with friends Pam and Jerry North ( and Martini North, the cat ) , Bill has to find the murderer in order to work out who kidnapped his wife. It`s a cracking adventure, with Dorian as a capable, resourceful kidnappee, who`s far from a whiny victim. 

#120   Miss Zukas and the Raven`s Dance - Jo Dereske

Librarian Helma Zukas takes over a cataloguing job in a cultural centre library, after the previous incumbent was found murdered. A charming series set in Washington State, the books start off as so-so, and then suck me right into the story. 

#121   Norway to Hide - Maddy Hunter

Emily, Nana and the other Iowan Seniors take a tour of Scandinavia. Some amusing bits.

#122   The Wonder Spot - Melisssa Bank

The follow-up to The Girls` Guide to Hunting and Fishing and it`s fantastic. Similar in structure to the previous book ( a collection of short stories in chronological order ), the book follows the life of Sophie Applebaum from friend`s batmitzah to college and into a so-so publishing job. The language is beautiful and it`s so funny - quotes - but above all, it`s the sort of read where you feel that someone`s being brutally honest and telling you how they really feel. 

Author Interview  from 2012 - I`m happy that she`s working on something new. I`d read anything of hers.  :D

#123   Out of Circulation - Jo Dereske

Librarian Helma and artist friend Ruth go on a hiking trip into the mountains and come across a hiker, covered in blood and babbling about a dead friend. They go further up into the mountains to try to find the body and end up getting caught in a snowstorm. Hiding out in an emergency cabin with other hikers, unable to contact the outside World, it becomes apparent that one of them is a murderer.... 

#124   Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac - Gabrielle Zevin

High-schooler Naomi wakes up in an ambulance and finds she`s lost the past four years of her life to amnesia. Trying to work out who her real friends are - and who her boyfriend is, after the boy who accompanies her to hospital turns out not to be her boyfriend after all - Naomi is forced to analyse her life and her past decisions in order to discover who she really is, or who she wants to be now.  A lovely read - thanks to Gaia for the recommendation. 

I love this quote :

At that point, we were inside the theatre, and Alice turned her attention to organizing the auditions. I probably could have left, but something kept me there. With its dingy red velvet seatsand its scuffed wooden stage, the theatre reminded me of a foreign country. It was like all of a sudden discovering that Prague or Berlin was in the middle of my high school.  

#125   Never Nosh a Matzo Ball - Sharon Kahn

Rabbi`s widow Ruby gets embroiled in another murder. While I liked the first in the series, this one could do with a bit more character development and din`t seem to have the same drive.

#126   Mystery in White - J. Jefferson Farjeon

A group of strangers are stuck on a train during a snowstorm and end up in a nearby house, where it seems as if someone has only just stepped out... but they don`t return. The blizzard worsens and the group decide to stay in the abandoned house for the night. They gradually solve the mystery of the missing people and an old murder. There are ghosts, a locked room and a mysterious painting, but no tension. 

#127   Dutch Me Deadly - Maddy Hunter

A series I stuck with `cos I loved the first two books. The series got cancelled and then picked up again with this book, set in the Netherlands. Hurray ! It`s great fun ! Emily and her group of Iowan seniors are on a Dutch holiday with a group from Maine, one of whom ends up in a canal. Dead. There`s a secret from the past which the Iowans unravel, when they`re not busy getting lost in Amsterdam`s Red Light District and mistakenly taking drugs. 

Excerpt

#128   The Venetian Affair - Helen MacInnes

American journlist Fenner is sent on assignment to Paris. At the Airport, a man collapses and Fenner`s raincoat is mistakenly switched, but he doesn`t realise until he`s checked into his hotel room. Searching the raincoat to try to find a clue to the owner, Fenner finds an envelope secreted in the lining, and is drawn into a Cold War espionage adventure. A meaty, intelligent thriller.  

excerpt

#129   Bonnie of Evidence - Maddy Hunter

Great fun. Emily organizes a trip to Scotland fro her Seniors and there`s a murder. By this point, the group from Iowa are more interested in going on the trips because they get to watch Emily try to solve a murder, and they get to participate ( some of the Seniors have brought disguises along, so they can follow suspects ). Oh, and  Nana has followed up her computer and martial arts courses at the Senior Centre with a course in speed-reading...

As she explains :

" It`s on account of the course they was offering at the Senior Centre. Speed Readin` for Geezers. It targeted us old folks who wanna get to the bottom of our To-Be-Read piles before we die."

#130   Grave Peril - Jim Butcher

Chicago Wizard Harry Dresden investigates an outbreak of really scary ghosts. A bit of a downer, but there`re some nice, funny scenes of Harry/Bob-The-Skull bromance, which lift the mood.  

#131   Summer Knight - Jim Butcher

Excellent ! This one  was so good, it made me buy the next 5 in the series. It`s raining toads and someone`s out to kill Harry. Then a Faerie Queen turns up.  A cracking adventure, fantastically funny -  " Bite me, Faerie Fruitcake"  may be the best line I`ve read all year - this book really takes the series up a notch. 

Excerpt

#132   Final Notice - Jo Dereske 

Helma and Ruth pick up Helma`s Aunt Em at the Airport ; someone tries to steal her suitcase, then Aunt Em says that she stabbed someone who tried to steal her handbag - only Aunt Em is recovering from a brain condition and isn`t believed. When the same man is killed outside Helma`s apartment, Helma and Ruth have to investigate why Aunt Em is a target. 

#133   Black Headed Pins - Constance and Gwyneth Little

Edited by Little Pixie

I'm so glad you enjoyed Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac!! And the other books too of course :)! You've been reading a lot!

I tend to think ` Ah,I`ll just read one more book, then I`ll do some reviews ` and end up 15 book reviews behind.  :doh:

#133   Black Headed Pins - Constance and Gwyneth Little

Paid companion Leigh Smith - though she`s not paid nearly enough to put up with the miser Mrs Ballinger - lives in a creepy isolated New Jersey house and has to stretch out the housekeeping to accommodate a group of Mrs Ballinger`s nieces and nephews for Christmas. Before long, one of the group is dead, only for the corpse to disappear, and reappear sitting up in a chair. Then other haunted house things happen. It`s screwball comedy rather than creepiness, with heroine Leigh making lots of sarcastic, amusing comments along the way. A clever, fun read.

Black Headed Pins was written by the Little Sisters   ; I`ve ordered another one of their books, Great Black Kanba ( £4.61 ).  :smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

Books read : 133                        TBR 794             New Books Bought : 154                      Total Cost : £ 457.12

Despite a book buying mini-spree, I`ve read enough that my TBR has actually gone down by 2 - huzzah !  :smile:

I tend to think ` Ah,I`ll just read one more book, then I`ll do some reviews ` and end up 15 book reviews behind.  :doh:

Haha, makes sense :).

Despite a book buying mini-spree, I`ve read enough that my TBR has actually gone down by 2 - huzzah !  :smile:

Well done :D!

Awwwww :wub:!

Hmm, have got Windows 10 now - have to get used to another version of Spider Solitaire again. *sigh*

I hope it won't be too different that you can't get used to it :(. Sometimes you'd wish some things stayed more the same, right? I'm glad you have fun playing the game though. I haven't played it in a long time.

Well done :D!

Thanks !  :D

I hope it won't be too different that you can't get used to it  :(. Sometimes you'd wish some things stayed more the same, right? I'm glad you have fun playing the game though. I haven't played it in a long time.

Hmm, it looks like regular solitaire but says spider. In the grand scheme of things, it`s not an issue, but you do get used to things and like them. :smile:

I read something about a better version of Windows 10 being available in 6 months ( I`m assuming that the bugs, etc, will be worked out by then ). 

Eugh, I downloaded Windows 10 then uninstalled it a couple of days later - found it far too confusing! :blush:

Did you jump from 7 to 10? If so, I can understand how it would be confusing, it's very different and had I not used 8 it would have taken me much longer to get used to it.