Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

I can't quote you Gaia, because of having to respond on my Kindle, but that sounds great!

Yay :exc:

Yes I feel the same with mine. I feel like with the books that I like I say the same thing over and over. Especially when I read the same author or genre over and over I feel like I've already said everything I need to say ten times. 

Yes, spring break! I'm in Walt Disney World Florida  :D

Yes, exactly!

Woohoo, I wish you lots of fun :D!

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, spring break! I'm in Walt Disney World Florida  :D

How exciting!  Say Hi to the Mouse. :)

Yay :exc:

I have decided against Gathering Blue, so I will begin Jumpstart today, if you want to read it tomorrow.  It should only be a 2 day book for me and a one day for you :) 

Title: The Giver

Author: Lois Lowry

Genre: Dystopian, YA, science fiction

Pages: 180 or 204

This will just be a short review, as I think it’s safe to say, most of us have read The Giver.  I liked it, it was ok, but I am not in any hurry to read Gathering Blue, even after the sample.  I didn't mind the mystical realism that was in it, it was believable to the story.  Jonas was a good character and I loved the introduction by Lowry.  I hesitate to say more, as there are some who have yet to give it a go :)

Amazon:

The Giver, the 1994 Newbery Medal winner, has become one of the most influential novels of our time. The haunting story centers on twelve-year-old Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community.

Plain Truth sounds like a good read. I've only read House Rules by Picoult, which was good, but I've never had read any ther of hers.

I am curious. :) Were you able to loan one of your kindle books to Nollaig?

Oh yes, it went quite smoothly... she even uses a Kindle app and was able to borrow just fine.  If I review something you want to borrow, just let me know (the selection is not huge, only a few authors allow it).

jumpstart.jpg

Title: Jumpstart the World

Author: Catherine Ryan Hyde

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Pages: 194

Dates: 4/2

My summary:

Elle’s mother is way too busy with her lover to bother with her 15- 16 year old daughter, so she sets Elle up in a small apartment of her very own.  While Elle resents her mother and realizes she is now truly on her own, she comes to care for the transgender man next door and goes through a myriad of emotions over the discovery. 

Thoughts:

Catherine Ryan Hyde’s books are about outcasts and the deep emotions her characters experience.  In this 200 page novel she accomplishes in scope the character development and plot strength of her longer books.   A fully developed novel, Jumpstart the World shows off Hyde’s talent- working with common topics in different ways, but also adding in the confused feelings of the characters- either about their own situation or the feelings of someone close.  With characters coming out enlightened or changed, the reader can see life a new way or in an affirming way, depending on your way of thinking.  And I think that is one of the things I like about CRH so much- she does make you think about other people’s situations and makes you aware, not everyone lives a straight life.  Sometimes, her stories don’t end the way you want them too.  She writes about the grey areas of life and I have always championed the grey sides of it, so in that, Hyde definitely stays in my top favs.  If you want to start with Catherine Ryan Hyde, I say start with Don’t Let Me Go, but if you are a fan, get to this one eventually too.  Thank you Gaia, for sharing this read with me!

Great reviews :)! I'm glad you liked The Giver and I can hardly believe you've already finished Jumpstart the World! I'm so glad you liked it, I hope to start it today :) (hopefully even finish it today). I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts!

I will also put the book on my TBR list. In fact it may be soon. :)

I was just curious on the loan to a person in a different Country. I had loaned a book to my wife but didn't know if loans could be made internationally. Thanks.

Jumpstart The World sounds like a really good read, definitely going on the aul wishlist. Great review :) Can I ask why you recommend starting with one of her other novels?

LOL, I can't wait to give you my reason but since this is Anna's thread I will wait until she gives you her reason first. :D

LOL, I can't wait to give you my reason but since this is Anna's thread I will wait until she gives you her reason first. :D

:o Now I'm super intrigued! I saw your question about her lending me the book last night (my time) and decided to let her answer because it's her thread :lol: We're so polite :giggle:

:o Now I'm super intrigued! I saw your question about her lending me the book last night (my time) and decided to let her answer because it's her thread :lol: We're so polite :giggle:

I find that I must disagree with you. If we were polite we wouldn't be conversing with each other on her thread. :readingtwo:  :doh:  :D

lol a bit of sleeping in on Spring Break :)  Carry on, Carry on...

Great reviews :)! I'm glad you liked The Giver and I can hardly believe you've already finished Jumpstart the World! I'm so glad you liked it, I hope to start it today :) (hopefully even finish it today). I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts!

I read 245 pages yesterday :o You'll finish today in no problem, in fact it is evening, you probably are done already :giggle2:

Jumpstart The World sounds like a really good read, definitely going on the aul wishlist. Great review :) Can I ask why you recommend starting with one of her other novels?

Now I can't wait to hear the answer lol I think Don't Let Me Go is representative of her work and the pinnacle of it, that it should be recommended first, I mean, I look back on that book and wow.  What a story and what characters!   Maybe he was going to tell you its my favorite CRH :D

*sits in silence, waiting for Anna to come back.*

*Notices a crack in the ceiling. Wonders if she should say anything?*

:giggle2:

My thread is open whenever- I like my thread warm and fuzzy :) 

I have read 7 books by CRH and Don't let Me Go is the one book that I would read if not reading any others by her. Of course though, after reading it I would want to read more by her. :) The characters are interesting and are a story in them self. Also, there are life stories that we can all learn from in this book.

Anna, are you saying that my mind is fuzzy. :)

Edited by muggle not

I have read 7 books by CRH and Don't let Me Go is the one book that I would read if not reading any others by her. Of course though, after reading it I would want to read more by her. :) The characters are interesting and are a story in them self. Also, there are life stories that we can all learn from in this book.

Anna, are you saying that my mind is fuzzy. :)

:giggle2: I was just telling Athena how I managed to (totally unlike me) sleep yesterday away, despite reading some 250 pages.  So I guess I am the fuzzy one.  Or my computer is, it is dying a slow death and should be replaced today thanks to Amazon's guaranteed shipping by 8pm!

I totally agree about Don't Let Me Go.  Noll, I almost mentioned it to you after your quarterly stat post.  It's totally not what you usually read, I don't think, but you'd probably like it.  CRH isn't what I normally read either.  But her contemporary fiction has just enough edge in it to keep me reading more of her work.

Plain Truth by Picoult was like that as well.  Muggle, have you read any Picoult?  Plain Truth is about an Amish neonaticide.

How exciting!  Say Hi to the Mouse. :)

I have decided against Gathering Blue, so I will begin Jumpstart today, if you want to read it tomorrow.  It should only be a 2 day book for me and a one day for you :)

I haven't even seen the Mouse. He's a pretty busy guy I guess. Mostly we have been spending the days at the pool because we have all been here at least 5 times if not more, so I have been able to read quite a bit! :D

them.jpg

Title: Say You’re One of Them (Oprah’s Book Club)

Author: Uwem Akpan

Genre:  Historical Fiction

Pages: 368

Dates: 4/2- 4/7

Oddly, I have been fascinated by life in some of the largest slums of the world, so I know that is part of the reason I picked this book, that it was set near or in Kibera.  I knew nothing other than that.

Urinating in the streets, getting high on shoe glue to ward off hunger and watching his sister chose a life a life of prostitution so that he may attend school, an 8 year old boy narrates life from a slum in Nairobi, Kenya as the first story begins.

This book is a sad and depressing collection of 5 short stories from different poor parts of Africa, all involving the lives of various children or teenagers.  Uwem Akpan writes of dry, dusty and drought ridden Africa, of life surrounded by Savannah.  In a country where more than 200 languages can be represented at a market, from eating candy in its wrapper, to rocks in the rice (no matter how thoroughly picked), to the fattening of children to sell, Say You’re One of Them is a portrayal of life that is so completely foreign to anything I can or will experience, it is hard to realize this is actually life for people.

Two of the 5 stories deal with the crisis between Muslims and Christians that divide Africa, one from a 6 year old’s perspective.  The main story in the book, is of the life of a Christian baptized Muslim teenager, who is stuck on a bus crammed of Christians fleeing secular violence, hiding evidence of his region’s imposed Sharia law and tries to adhere to his strict Muslim beliefs.  Even when the local news on the bus televisions switches to 3 frames of different religious carnage, it’s just like, “What the HECK??”  I just can’t fathom living in a country with such violence and where what denomination you are from determines life or death.

The last story is told by a 9 year old Tutsi girl and is a horrific story of the gore and violence of the Tutsi genocide.

I was not emotional with this book, but it did disturb me mentally.

Edited by Anna Begins

Haha okay I'll put both on my wishlist and aim to read Don't Let Me Go first.

I just wanted to jump in and say I loved Don't Let Me Go. It was my first book by Catherine Ryan Hyde and I would say, after reading a couple more by her, it's definitely a good one to start with :)

I've got When I Found You on my TBR. How is that one as a starting point given I am trying not to acquire more books?!

I have this on my TBR too but I haven't read it yet myself, so unfortunately I can't tell you :blush2:.

Anna, great review! It sounds like a difficult book to read because of the subject matter. I'm glad you found it interesting.

I've got When I Found You on my TBR. How is that one as a starting point given I am trying not to acquire more books?!

Sorry Alexi, I didn't see your post!  I started my Catherine Ryan Hyde journey with When I Found You.  It was good enough to keep me reading her books.  I followed that with Walk Me Home (which was great.  Muggle liked this one more, I liked When I Found You better).  Then I did Don't Let Me Go and finally Jumpstart the World.  She writes a lot though!

Blimey Anna, Say You’re One of Them sounds like a tough read.  Congratulations on finishing it, I'm not sure I could even start it, if I'm honest.

It was difficult, but lead me to read more on the history of Rwanda's genocide.  Which, I guess, is the purpose of the book.  It was the last story, about 30 pages, that is one of those literary stories that have changed my life.

I didn't do a quarterly report for my reading, because I haven't read much.  But I guess I just wanted to post that, while I have read little this year so far, lots of short stories, but everything I have read has been extreme in it's genre.

To April 1st

17 short stories

13 books

4,030 pages