Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I went to the charity shop and bought:

Joanna Trollope, Rosamunde Pilcher, Imogen Parker, Maeve Haran and Maeve Binchy - De Derde Dochter: Verhalen over Vrouwen van Vijf Auteurs: Joanna Trolllope - De Derde Dochter, Rosamunde Pilcher - Een Winterse Wandeling, Imogen Parker - Veldonderzoek, Maeve Haran - De Schoolreünie, Maeve Binchy - De Huisbewaarster - (Joanna Trollope - Daughter Number Three, Rosamunde Pilcher - A Walk in the Snow, Imogen Parker - Research, Maeve Haran - Class Reunion, Maeve Binchy - The Homesitter)

Connie Palmen - De Erfenis

But actually the first book didn't have a price label on it and they gave it to me for free (the second one was 0.50€).

Andy Weir - Free Short Stories

Read for free from authors website: Link

Genre: Science-Fiction, Contemporary Fiction, Thriller, ...

Age-range: Adult

Format: Website

Pages: 4 + 6 + 8 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 6 = ~51 pages

Date read: 01-02-2015 <-> 03-02-2015

ISBN: N/A

Synopsis: No synopsis because it would be spoiling the stories. See below for a few thoughts.

My thoughts:

Below follow some of my thoughts on each of the short stories I read.

The Egg

This is a short science-fiction story that's maybe 4 pages long. To say anything about it would be spoiling it, really.

Kate (Pontalba) on BCF linked to this story. Since it's only short, I thought I'd read it after Anna told me about it and said she liked it (I hadn't yet read the topic with the link).

This is a short story, written in the second person. This is unusual, there are very few books and stories out there written in the second person (and usually for good reason). However, in this case it does make sense, as you'll see later in the story.

I thought the story was pretty nice, particularly the second half of it and the plot twist near the end. I liked the writing style, though the second person took me a few moments to get used to. The story is only a few pages long. I can't really say much about characters or world building or anything like that. I thought the story was enjoyable to read.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this story and am glad I did. It only takes a few minutes, though I have to admit since I was feeling so tired yesterday (to also write a review after or to take notes) I read half of it yesterday and half of it today :lol:. Since this story is free, I would definitely recommend to give it a try, if you are interested at all in a science-fictiony story.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

Andy Weir - The Chef

A short story about a woman in a hospital. It's contemporary fiction and is about 6 pages long. This was an interesting short story. I liked the writing style and the plot twists. It was an enjoyable read. The main character was interesting. I didn't totally get the very last line of the story (the author's note).

Rating: (****) (7/10)

Andy Weir - Access

This is an interesting story about a man in an office and a young woman who says she has a superpower. This was a good short story. I liked the plot twists and it was nice hearing about the young woman's experiences. I was surprised by the ending and it was a fun short read. It's about 8 pages long.

Andy Weir - Annie's Day

This was a very interesting story. To say much about it would be spoiling it. I really wasn't expecting the plot twist at the end! I really enjoyed this story, it was well written and had a very unexpected twist at the end. It's contemporary fiction and about 6 pages long.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Andy Weir - The Real Deal

This is a story about two men having a conversation. It's contemporary fiction and it's about 3 pages long. I'm a bit confused as to what happened on the end. It was a nice story but not as good as the ones I read before this one, by the same author.

Rating (***) (5/10)

Andy Weir - Bored World

This is a science-fiction story of about 6 pages. It's an interesting concept, but wish it had been more developed, wish there had been more of it. The twist at the end didn't mean much to me as I didn't get much of the reference. I looked it up but *shrug*. I enjoyed reading the story, though.

Andy Weir - The Midtown Butcher

This story is very suspenseful, like a thriller and it's about 4 pages long. It's an interesting story of a woman alone in her apartment worried about a murderer. It was a tense / suspenseful short story but I'm not entirely sure what the twist at the end meant because I feel it could be read in two different ways. Maybe that was the author's goal, though.

Andy Weir - Antihypoxiant

This is a science-fiction short story of about 4 pages long. It's a story about a medical drug. I really enjoyed reading this short story. It's well written and I enjoyed reading the medical things. I quite liked the plot twists.

Andy Weir - Meeting Sarah

This is a 4 page long story. It's about an investor and a conversation on time travel. I quite enjoyed reading this short story even if I did guess one of the plot twists. It was very nicely written and I enjoyed reading it.

Andy Weir - Lacero

This is a 6 page long science-fiction fanfiction of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I liked it, though was a little bit confused at a few things because it's been a while since I read the actual book. Once I got more into it though I quite enjoyed the story, and thought it was interesting. I don't normally read fanfiction.

Overall then I quite enjoyed most of these stories. There was only one I didn't really care for, and there were several that I really liked. The stories are quite enjoyable, only a few pages long each, and free to read. Why not give them a try :)?

Overall Rating: (****) (8/10)

Great thumbnail reviews, Gaia...nothing given away, yet a feel for the story. :)

I have to get to read the rest, for sure.  Thanks! :readingtwo:

Thanks Kate :)! If / When you do, I hope you enjoy the stories.

I had meant to get around to reading the rest of his short stories, but I think I'll do it sooner now, thanks for the reviews :)

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy them :)!

P.S. Three reviews coming up now.

Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot 10: Murder on the Orient Express

816063.jpg

Genre: Detective

Format: Hardback (Library copy)

Pages: 254

Date read: 02-02-2015 <-> 04-02-2015

ISBN: 9780007234400

Synopsis (GoodReads):A snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was full at this time of the year. But by the morning, there was one passenger fewer. An American lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. With tension mounting, detective Hercule Poirot comes up with two solutions to the crime.

My thoughts: I saw this book at the library (in English). I think it's one of the most famous Agatha Christie books, so I decided to borrow it. I've got some Agatha Christie books on my TBR, I believe two English books and some Dutch-translated ones.

This book was written in 1934. The language is sometimes a little bit old-fashioned, but for the most part I found the book to be very readable, more so than I was expecting. There were some (recurring) words that I didn't know. I liked the writing style and the use of some French lines in the book.

I loved the summaries of the locations, evidence and passengers. This really helped for me, because I was a bit dazzled by the amount of characters and things to remember. I got a bit confused at times on who was who and such. Later on in the book though things seemed to seep in more as certain characters were written about more. I liked the diversity of the characters, their countries' of origin were a large variety. I wasn't too keen on the generalisation of people based on stereotypes of people from their country of origin, that seemed a bit short sighted to me (this was mainly one of the characters saying things like this).

Poirot solves the case and has the help of a friend and a doctor. I really liked that this book was detectiving in an 'old-fashioned' way. By that I mean, because they were all in a train stuck in the middle of nowhere, Poirot couldn't contact anyone outside to verify people's passports and stories and such (the book was written in 1934 so there was no such thing as a mobile phone or anything). I thought this made the whole situation quite interesting (though I do like detectiving too where they can verify things :P). But the detectiving was mainly done based on the evidence, the passengers' statements and logic and I liked that (the Baantjer books are a bit the same in that sense, in a way, though not entirely.).

I liked the setting of the train and the descriptions of it and of the passengers. I didn't actually know Hercule Poirot was Belgian! It was nice to see various languages used, though in the book it is English and French but for example, it's mentioned this conversation took place in German, and then they did translate it, but it is nice that they mention it is in German. It's not that everyone on the train speaks every language and I liked this aspect of it.

I really liked the plot twists. I didn't guess the solution of the murder case until near the end. I did guess it then but it was very well written and the clues and evidence of the case very well thought of. The book was very suspenseful and I wanted to keep on reading to find out what had happened. I also quite liked the ending.

Overall then I really enjoyed this book. I can't perhaps read it as fast as some books with more modern language, but I really enjoyed reading it. I'll definitely be reading some more of the author's books in the future (as I said, I have some on my TBR).

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Hugh Howey - Free Short Stories

(read for free from author's website: Link)

Genre: Science-fiction

Pages: 1 + 3 + 8 + 10 + 8 + 8 + 3 = ~41

Date read: 04-02-2015 <-> 05-02-2015

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it would spoil it, but for descriptions see below)

My thoughts: Anna (Begins) linked these stories on the forum, so I thought I should check them out. I've read one (paid for) short story by the author which I loved.

Molly Fyde: Boys

This was a short poem. It was nice but I'm not sure I get what it means, poetry isn't for me at all (also I'm very tired).

Rating: (**) (4/10)

Molly Fyde: Deconstructing the Humanization of Delphi IV

I'm not quite sure what the point of this text is, it was interesting to read but I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. I am very tired while reading this and I find it hard to really interpret the sentences and what they mean.

Rating: (**) (3/10)

Dragging Anchor: A True Story

I couldn't follow what was happening, and did not finish it. It's something with people on a boat, apparently a true story. I didn't understand a lot of the nautical terms and with my tiredness at the time, I was struggling to concentrate on the text.

Rating: (*) (2/10)

WHILE (u > i) i- -;

This story had a few gruesome descriptions in the beginning. I enjoyed reading it (other than the gruesome descriptions), though with my tiredness I'm not sure I entirely understood its meaning. I enjoyed reading it though, it was quite interesting.

Mouth Breathers

This is a story of a boy on Mars who goes to school there. This was a very interesting story, I quite enjoyed reading it. It was my favourite of these ones.

The Automated Ones

As I read this it occured to me that several characters from these stories have the same names and roles, I think the stories are connected because they are the same characters. Anyway, this was an interesting short story about androids and humans. Nicely written.

Nothing Goes to Waste

This was an interesting story with a few gruesome bits. I thought it was nicely written though the character's life seemed rather harsh and very difficult to live.

Rating: (***) (6/10)

In the end then I enjoyed four of the stories (the last four), and I didn't get on with the first three. I was very tired while I read them, that could've had something to do with it. I don't really like reading books or short stories off a computer screen, I much prefer a physical copy of a book or at least my e-reader. I did enjoy the last four stories though, with Mouth Breathers being my favourite of them all. Overall I didn't like these stories as much as the one I read on my Kindle (Glitch) but since they are free you could certainly give them a go. I would recommend those that I liked, particularly Mouth Breathers (but even more so I'd recommend Glitch, anyway..). I'm still interested in reading more of the author's work, though it is a shame these stories were unfortunately not as good as I'd hoped. Still, part of that is probably to do with my tiredness, as I had a lot of trouble trying to concentrate on the text on my screen.

Overall Rating: (***) (5/10)

Haruki Murakami - Scheherazade

23312593.jpg

(story read for free from website)

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Pages: 20

Date read: 05-05-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads):“Scheherazade” is about a man who is being held in a house that he can’t leave, where he is visited twice a week by a woman who has been hired to bring him food and supplies, and perhaps also to attend to his sexual needs.

My thoughts: Pontalba linked to this story on BCF, so I thought I'd give it a go. I have two full length books by the author on my TBR and since this was a free short story I decided to give it a go.

This was a nice story. I quite liked the writing style and I enjoyed the details of the story. It was a little bit weird in places but at the same time I found it intruiging. I would've liked to know a little bit more of what happened past the ending, and why the main character couldn't leave the house. But other than that I quite enjoyed reading the story, it was interesting. Overall I quite enjoyed reading it though I wouldn't perhaps recommend it to everyone. I found it enjoyable though.

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed your first Agatha Christie novel!  :exc:

I agree that it gets confusing with the number of characters (it's the same way in other books of hers that I've read), but I also agree that it gets easier as you get further into the book.

Re: the Howey's: I almost mentioned the Molly Fyde stories listed as an avoid warning, because that is part of one of his series (I think it contains a lot of science fiction but magic too, so that is the only one of his that is way out there from his other stuff + the short stories, as I believe them to be are not stand alones, just short stories about that land.  :doh: Sorry!  I will edit my review.  Here is what I have to say about the author's note at the end of Andy Weir Short story, The Chef and my interpretation of Hugh Howey's WHILE (u > i) i- -;

Weir just asks the reader to re-read the story. Once you do, and you have all the details from already knowing why she is there and how the explosion happened, it spins your mind around. You can totally see why the psychiatrist asks her those questions. It's neat. Totally different perspective. With the Howey, you were just too tired to link the two stories together, they were in reverse- one was the old couple at a retirement home. He was an android trying to age himself and the love of his life was a old woman, he was trying to age like she was. In the other story, about the android and woman, they were the same couple, just in their youth and had just won a legal battle to be together, as human and andriod. :)

Edited by Anna Begins

Good reviews, Gaia!  I'm glad you enjoyed the Christie.  I haven't read very many of hers, but have liked the ones I have.  And, yes, they're dated a bit but in general very effective.

Interesting takes on the Howey short stories, I have a few on my ipad, so will eventually read some.

Glad you enjoyed Scheherazade,  I thought it was a nice slice of an obscure life.  I'm still thinking about reasons he was put away in what I think was a private home........ :)

Anna, thanks for the note on the Weir....I'll be reading them soonish. .

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed your first Agatha Christie novel!  :exc:

I agree that it gets confusing with the number of characters (it's the same way in other books of hers that I've read), but I also agree that it gets easier as you get further into the book.

Me too :exc:

Re: the Howey's: I almost mentioned the Molly Fyde stories listed as an avoid warning, because that is part of one of his series (I think it contains a lot of science fiction but magic too, so that is the only one of his that is way out there from his other stuff + the short stories, as I believe them to be are not stand alones, just short stories about that land.  :doh: Sorry!  I will edit my review.  Here is what I have to say about the author's note at the end of Andy Weir Short story, The Chef and my interpretation of Hugh Howey's WHILE (u > i) i- -;

Yeah, the series thing makes sense. I didn't realise it at first, I thought Molly Fyde was a different author who wrote those short stories. Then after I'd read them I looked it up and found out it's a series by Howey. If I had known that I'd probably not have read them, I don't blame you though!

Your spoiler makes a lot of sense! I think I was too tired to realise these things :blush2:. So thank you for that :)!

Good reviews, Gaia!  I'm glad you enjoyed the Christie.  I haven't read very many of hers, but have liked the ones I have.  And, yes, they're dated a bit but in general very effective.

Interesting takes on the Howey short stories, I have a few on my ipad, so will eventually read some.

Glad you enjoyed Scheherazade,  I thought it was a nice slice of an obscure life.  I'm still thinking about reasons he was put away in what I think was a private home........ :)

Anna, thanks for the note on the Weir....I'll be reading them soonish. .

Thanks, Kate! I hope you enjoy them. I fully agree about Scheherazade (I have to think really hard when I write this name, as other than this short story I hadn't heard of it), I'm not sure why he was put away but it's interesting to speculate.

I re-read a childhood favourite yesterday late afternoon, a children's book with illustrations about a girl and her cat (I loved this book so much I coloured in the illustrations and drew some of my own too, in my copy of the book). It's the read-a-thon today though and I have to go sit by the door because someone is going to deliver something. So that review will be written and posted in a few days probably. It's a Dutch book so I doubt anyone not Dutch will have heard of it but still :).

Great reviews Gaia! I didn't get on well with Hugh Howey's Wool but I know it's pretty popular in general. I have been meaning to give The Martian ago as well, from what I've heard it is very scientific which I love. :)

Thanks, Tim :). I hope you enjoy The Martian, I hope to read it too some day (either from the library or I'll buy it).

I can't believe how much you've read this year already! :thud:

I have Wool by Hugh Howey on my tbr. :)

Thanks, Laura :), I hope you enjoy Wool!

Thanks, Kate! I hope you enjoy them. I fully agree about Scheherazade (I have to think really hard when I write this name, as other than this short story I hadn't heard of it), I'm not sure why he was put away but it's interesting to speculate.

Just wanted to mention that a poster on another forum brought up the idea that the man in the story was Agoraphobic.  She said that sometimes not wanting even internet or phone is part of Agoraphobia.  I'm not familiar with the condition, but it sounds plausible.  Like anything else, there are levels of affliction.  It could work.

Just wanted to mention that a poster on another forum brought up the idea that the man in the story was Agoraphobic.  She said that sometimes not wanting even internet or phone is part of Agoraphobia.  I'm not familiar with the condition, but it sounds plausible.  Like anything else, there are levels of affliction.  It could work.

That would make a lot of sense! I don't know anyone personally with agoraphobia but I've read about it and I think I saw a documentary on TV about it too. An agoraphobic experiences huge anxiety by even the thought of going to what he / she deems to be unsafe places (I think often anything outside the house). It would certainly explain why the character in the story wouldn't go outside.

Wonderful review of Murder On The Orient Express. I will now put the book on my TBR list thanks to you. As you know I recently finished reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and really enjoyed the book.

Thanks :)! I hope you enjoy Murder on the Orient Express. I want to read And Then There Were None at some point, as I think I will enjoy it :).

Thanks :)! I  I want to read And Then There Were None at some point, as I think I will enjoy it :).

Good review with Murder on the Orient Express, Athena  :smile:And Then There Were None is a great novel too, as is has a very good plot, with plenty of twists in it.

Good review with Murder on the Orient Express, Athena  :smile:And Then There Were None is a great novel too, as is has a very good plot, with plenty of twists in it.

Thanks, I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it anywhere :) (ie. at the library or..).

Dolf Verroen and Jet Boeke - De Liefste Poes van de Wereld (re-read)

9025847706.gif

Age-range: Children

Format: Hardback

Pages: 116

Date read: 05-02-2015

ISBN: 9789025847708

Synopsis (me): A story about a girl, Sarah, who really loves her cat (Uilalia), but one day her cat falls out of the window of her flat. Sarah does whatever she can think of to try and find Uilalia back.

My thoughts: I was feeling low a few days ago and decided to have a quick look at my bookshelves in my old room. Somehow my eyes fell upon this book, which was a childhood favourite of mine. I opened it up and saw I had coloured a lot of the illustrations as well as made my own, in the book, when I was a child. I had completely forgot about this and took the book with me to the bakery because I thought I might flick through it, perhaps read it. I started to read it.. and couldn't stop!

If you couldn't guess it already, I loved re-reading this book! I hadn't read it since I was a child, maybe a young teenager. I have read this book many times when I was a child, and I even did a book presentation at school on it (where you had to explain what the book was about and such, this was in a time before Powerpoint was common so it was just the student talking, and showing the book).

It was very nostalgic to read this book again. I loved the illustrations (I loved seeing my own drawings too :blush2:, nowadays I wouldn't think of writing much in a book!). I loved this book so much as a child and I think that's why I coloured in the illustrations and added my own. I won't be getting rid of my copy if I can help it!

The story is pretty straight forward really, it's about Sarah, and her cat Uilalia. She really loves the cat (most other people don't) and when Uilalia accidentally falls out of the window of the flat where they live, Sarah tries to find her back. The story shows both what happens to Sarah and what happens to Uilalia. The book was written originally in 1988 and won an award in 1989 (my copy is from 1993).

Overall then it was great nostalgia for me to read the book again. I don't think it's been translated, but I would recommend it to young Dutch (or Flemish) children who love cats. I loved cats when I was a child. It turned out, I was allergic to them and after having a lot of allergy attacks from various cats, I became a dog person, once we got a dog. My parents had two cats when I was a young child. Once we had dogs, I've really become a dog person and now I much prefer dogs over cats. I do like reading about cats or seeing photos of them, but I don't want to pet them anymore as this makes me feel very terrible after ~ 5 mins. Regardless of being a dog person now, I really enjoyed re-reading this book.

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 6: Tales From a Not-So-Happy Heartbreaker

16074748.jpg

Age-range: Children

Format: Hardback (Library Loan)

Pages: 340

Date read: 06-02-2015

ISBN: 9781442449633

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series)

My thoughts: When I saw this book at the library I couldn't resist borrowing it. I previously read (and liked) books 3 and 4 from the library. I'm hoping they also have books 1, 2 and 5, though based on the fact they've got book 6 I would assume so. I thought it would make a good read-a-thon read.

The first thing I noticed about this book when I started to read, was that it took place in February and that it was February now! When I borrowed the book two weeks ago it was January so I hadn't quite thought about that yet. Either way this seemed like a nice coincidence.

The story continues from the previous books, though I didn't feel like I missed a lot missing out on book 5. I was easily able to follow the story. The book is about the Valentine's Dance, and the events before and after it. There are also several side story lines such as swimming lessons.

One plot twist I thought was rather obvious and I could see coming. Other than that though I thought the story was quite enjoyable. The book is funny and the illustrations are nice. I liked the characters (most of them recurring characters from previous books). I liked that this book wasn't about a competition or anything (like books 3 and 4 were) though there was a bit of that element in it but not as much as in those two books. Not that I mind that, but it was a bit samey if that makes sense.

The book reads easily and I liked the writing style. I particularly loved the bits with the swimming lessons and with Brianna, Nikki's sister (Nikki is the main character). Those bits were really funny and entertaining!

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book. I'll certainly borrow books 1, 2 and 5 when I find them in the library. I wouldn't recommend them to every adult on the planet, but I find them enjoyable.

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 26: Claudia and the Sad Goodbye (re-read)

n155432.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Age-range: Children, Young-Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 133

Date read: 06-02-2015

ISBN: 9780590550185

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's part of a series)

My thoughts: It was another read-a-thon, so it was time for another BSC book. Out of the English ones I own, this one was next (the last one I read was book 24).

It was great to re-read this story. It is an emotional story, it has a theme of grief (as you can see by the title). I also liked the babysitting parts of the story, Claudia holds an art class for the children. I liked the story and it was well written. It is sad in places and it was really nice to re-read the book.