Athena

Paul Magrs - Exchange

1089294.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Young-Adult

Format: Hardback

Pages: 295

Date read: 08-01-2015 <-> 09-01-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads):Following the death of his parents, 16-year-old Simon moves into his grandparents' claustrophobic bungalow, which quickly becomes a refuge from his bullying peers. United by their voracious appetite for books, Simon and his grandmother stumble across the Great Big Book Exchange — a bookshop with a difference. There they meet impulsive, gothic Kelly and her boss, Terrance — and the friendships forged in the Great Big Book Exchange result in startling and unsettling consequences for all of them.

My thoughts: I saw this book at the library and picked it up because of the spine and cover. Then I read the synopsis and it was about books and a book shop, so I wanted to read it.

This book was pretty good. I quite liked the characters and all the talk of books. Not many specific books are mentioned, but reading and books are big themes in the story. The characters are all pretty interesting and the book has quite a few unexpected plot twists.

The writing style didn't read as easily as some other Young-Adult books do, but I liked it.

Overall I quite enjoyed reading this book. If the synopsis appeals at all, I'd certainly recommend the book. I own two books by the author, they are on my TBR. They are I believe science-fiction books so quite different from this one, but I look forward to reading them.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

This book looks so interesting!! Great review! Definitely going to buy or borrow this one.  :smile:

Brandon Sanderson - Alcatraz 1: Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians

17245762.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Format: Hardback

Pages: 226

Date read: 09-01-2015 <-> 10-01-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads): hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from a powerful secret network...the evil Librarians.

Alcatraz Smedry doesn't seem destined for anything but disaster. On his 13th birthday he receives a bag of sand, which is quickly stolen by the cult of evil Librarians plotting to take over the world. The sand will give the Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them!...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.

My thoughts: I saw this book at the library, as well as book 4 in the series (Alcatraz and the Shattered Lens) and because I've enjoyed other books by Brandon Sanderson, I decided to borrow them and give them a go.

This is a really great story. I really liked the characters, there's plenty of humour and the world the author has created is very, well, creative. There are plenty of good plot twists that I didn't see coming and the story is very suspenseful, I wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen next.

One thing I really liked about this book is the fourth wall breaking stuff. The author of the book, Alcatraz, talks to the reader and this was very well done. I really enjoyed this. It's quite unique, you don't see that in a lot of books (not that I'd want it in all my books) and I found it very entertaining.

I would love to read the other books in the series. I could only find book 4 (and 1) at the library, but maybe they also have the other books (that would make sense), though they could be loaned out.

The book also mentions books in the story, though obviously slightly twisted as "Evil Librarians"..

Overall I quite enjoyed this book. It's a great beginning to a new series, though it does have an ending. Not all questions are answered but a lot of them are. I'm going to try and read book 4, though I don't know if that's doable or not if I haven't read books 2 and 3. I'd definitely love to read all of them, some time.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Once again, great review and you have succeeded in making me want to read this book along with other books in the same series. Thank you for reading such great books. It gives me some new suggestions without even suggesting them  :giggle2:

Holly Smale - Geek Girl 3: Picture Perfect

18665259.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Format: Paperback

Pages: 408

Date read:14-01-2015 <-> 15-01-2015

ISBN: 9780007489480

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's book three in a series)

My thoughts: I really liked books 1 and 2 in this series, so I pre-ordered book 3 in paperback (my preferred format) last year. A few days ago the book arrived in the post box. I was really looking forward to reading it so after reading some books due at the library I read this book.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It continues the story of Harriet (though if you haven't read the other two books, this one is still readable on its own, though of course best to read them in order). Harriet is a geek, and I love all the little geeky facts she thinks about and talks about. She is such a great character. The other characters in the book are good too. We see some characters from the previous books, which were all really nice to read about again. There are also some new characters, and I enjoyed reading about them too (this makes it sound as if there's lots of characters, there are some but not that many).

The book is pretty funny too, in the same way the other two books were funny. Most of the book takes place in New York (book 1 took place in the UK and book 2 largely in Tokyo). It was great to see a bit of a different take on New York, compared to what you usually read about in books. I don't want to say too much, because I don't want to spoil it, but I enjoyed this.

A few plot twists were slightly predictable but there were a lot of surprising ones too. I really enjoyed the writing style, as well. Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book, and I look forward to read the next one once it's out (in paperback)!

I've never heard of this series, but I'm very intrigued. I love geeky characters, so this is right up my alley. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree entirely! My ratings are similar - top marks are for books I absolutely loved (all-time favourites), whatever the literary merits. Equally, I've got some great classics rated at only 1 star. It was the fact that your comments suggested to me that you hadn't loved it - but you've put me right on that one!

Agreed again - there's more to critique isn't there?

One thing I do, is read what other reviewers have said, especially here and on Amazon, particularly those who haven't rated the books so highly. I look at why they didn't like the book, and then talk about why I don't agree, or why that aspect appealed to me (if it did!). Thus, in my last review, which was on Master and Commander, I talked about the concerns other readers had over the difficulty of the jargon, and why that wasn't a negative for me.

Thanks for taking the time to explain to me.

That's very interesting :)!

It never occured to me to look at other reviews like on Amazon and such, that's a nice idea!

You're welcome, thanks for asking :)

This book looks so interesting!! Great review! Definitely going to buy or borrow this one.  :smile:

Once again, great review and you have succeeded in making me want to read this book along with other books in the same series. Thank you for reading such great books. It gives me some new suggestions without even suggesting them  :giggle2:

I've never heard of this series, but I'm very intrigued. I love geeky characters, so this is right up my alley.

Thanks :)! I hope you enjoy the books if / when you read them :)!

I usually read two positive reviews and two least positive reviews after I read a book, I find it helps me when it comes to writing mine.

I see you've bought a Mankell/Wallander novel...I love that series. :)

I usually read two positive reviews and two least positive reviews after I read a book, I find it helps me when it comes to writing mine.

I'm the exact opposite!  :giggle:    I refuse to read any reviews after I've read a book, until I've written my own.  Of course, I do read reviews of books before I've read it....usually.  Sometimes just the synopsis.

I'm the exact opposite!  :giggle:    I refuse to read any reviews after I've read a book, until I've written my own.  Of course, I do read reviews of books before I've read it....usually.  Sometimes just the synopsis.

I am the same with my reviews.  I never read other people's reviews really (Except for here), unless the book is controversial in some way or polarizing.  This year, I am liking books I don't know much about.  I started that at the end of last year, not knowing so much about my current and future reads.

I do something similar. I tend to start with the one-star reviews, and work my way up to the five-star reviews. I don't necessarily read all, but enough to get a feel about other people's opinions. Often others have insights or picked up on things that I have missed, which can make me think a bit differently about the book.

I do something similar. I tend to start with the one-star reviews, and work my way up to the five-star reviews. I don't necessarily read all, but enough to get a feel about other people's opinions. Often others have insights or picked up on things that I have missed, which can make me think a bit differently about the book.

That's what I find too, or it refreshes my memory on some things I might have skipped over or forgotten.

That seems like a wise thing to do :)

I see you've bought a Mankell/Wallander novel...I love that series. :)

I'm glad to hear it :)! At 50 cents and the synopsis sounding good, I couldn't not buy it :blush2:. It's a short read, so I think it'd be great for a read-a-thon.

There is that, also. I usually don't read reviews until after I've written mine, though I do read them sometimes before I start reading the book. But it might be a nice idea, for me to write the review, and then read some reviews, and then if I want I can edit my review to include some more interesting bits that I might've forgot about. 

I am the same with my reviews.  I never read other people's reviews really (Except for here), unless the book is controversial in some way or polarizing.  This year, I am liking books I don't know much about.  I started that at the end of last year, not knowing so much about my current and future reads.

I find that can be quite interesting! I usually have a mixture, as I tend to read some more popular books that were recommended, as well as books that no one has recommended to me and that I don't know much about. I like having this mixture. 

That's very true :). Though I don't always like it if other people change my mind that way :lol:.

That's what I find too, or it refreshes my memory on some things I might have skipped over or forgotten.

^ yep, that!

P.S. I will post a review soon of Matt Haig - The Humans.

Matt Haig - The Humans

21265230.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Age-range: Adult

Pages: 294

Date read: 17-01-2015 <-> 18-01-2015

ISBN: 9780857868787

Synopsis (back of the book):There's no place like home. Or is there?

After an 'incident' one wet Friday nigth where he is found walking naked through the streets of Cambridge, Professor Andrew Martin is not feeling quite himself. Food sickens him. Clothes confuse him. Even his loving wife and teenage son are repulsive to him. He feels lost amongst a crazy alien species and hates everyone on the planet. Everyone, that is , except Newton, and he's a dog.

Who is he really? And what could make someone change their mind about the human race...?

My thoughts: Several people on the forum (including one of my best friends Anna) really liked this book and so I was compelled to put it on my wishlist. The lovely Devi :friends0: bought it for me as a Christmas present, a few weeks ago. Once I finished off all my library loans, I picked up this book and started reading it.

This was an amazing story. My expectations were high, based on what I'd heard from others on this forum, but they were flown away. The book was brilliant. The story is very funny and suspenseful. It's full of thoughts on humans and human life. It's thought-provoking and really makes you think and question things. The writing style was different than in most books I've read, but I liked it though I wouldn't want it in all my books. I loved the characters of this book. I also loved learning more about the alien species, whose name I can never quite remember :blush2:.

This story is so beautiful. There are plenty of plot twists, a lot of which are unexpected and a few of which I guessed. I loved every page of this book. It's so nicely written and funny yet insightful. It has great characters and some wise lessons about life. The book also contains a lot of sentences and parts that would make great book quotes. I also loved the list towards the end (if you've read the book you'll know what I mean).

This book has made it onto my 'favourites' list. It's just that brilliant. I love this book. So thank you so much for everyone who recommended it :friends0:. I hearthily recommend this book myself, it's really good in my opinion.

Glad you loved it so much! :) I should try and get to my copy soon.

Edited by Devi

I am glad you liked it so much!  I loved the contrast between what I was reading in the book, to what it really meant, you know? 

I will be reading Haig's The Radley's this year!

I like that cover, here was mine- I just lol at the nose.

humans.jpg

Glad you loved it so much! :) I should try and get to my copy soon.

Yes!  As soon as possible :jump:

Wow Athena. A 10/10 rating on The Humans. It sounds like maybe I should put it on my TBR list. :)

Aghast you haven't read it already!

Note: Emoticons removed. Part 1 of 2.

Glad you loved it so much! I should try and get to my copy soon.

Thanks Devi :)! I hope you enjoy the book too :)

Great review, Gaia.

Thanks, Kate :).

Wow Athena. A 10/10 rating on The Humans. It sounds like maybe I should put it on my TBR list.

If you do, I hope you enjoy it :)

Glad your enjoying the Alcatraz series, I haven't read those but I did enjoy Steelheart which is another Sanderson YA novel, the sequel Firefight has just come out. I think you'd like them

I have Steelheart on my wishlist, I'll have to check if the library has it as it does sound good.

Yay! I'm so glad you loved it. I read this book last year and it was my absolute favorite. Your assessment hit the nail on the head. What a lovely gift for a lovely person!

Thank you :)! It was brilliant. Thank you for being one of the people who recommended it to me :)

I`ve Kimpled The Humans ; it sounds sooo good.

If you read it, I hope you enjoy it :).

I am glad you liked it so much! I loved the contrast between what I was reading in the book, to what it really meant, you know?

I will be reading Haig's The Radley's this year!

I like that cover, here was mine- I just lol at the nose.

humans.jpg

I get what you mean, yes! lol yeah I prefer my cover :blush2: (also.. it's blue and it's got a dog on it, two of my favourite things).

So glad you enjoyed The Humans, Athena. It was such a brilliant read, wasn't it? I must get around to reading more of Matt Haig's other books.

Thanks BB, it really was! Me too, I'll have to see if the library has some or such :).

Oh dear. My wishlist has just grown again... So many positive reviews of The Humans - must get hold of it.

Sorry! I do hope you enjoy it if / when you read it :).

I've heard the name of The Humans floating around, but that's the first synopsis and review I've read of it. Still not entirely sure it'll be my thing but I think I'll give it a go :)

If you do, I hope you enjoy it :). I've classified it as science-fiction, but most of the book is very much about (an alien's point of view of) humanity, it really makes you think about our lives and things we take for granted. You could always try and read a sample of a few pages online?

Wow, another rave review of The Humans! I think I'm going to have to break my book-buying ban soon to buy this one. :)

If you do, I hope you enjoy it :)! If you're going to break the ban for any book, this might be a good one for it, since I think you'd like it.

P.S. I'll be posting a review of Diane Chamberlain - The Silent Sister soon.

Diane Chamberlain - The Silent Sister

24576668.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Adult

Pages: 495

Date read: 19-01-2015 <-> 20-01-2015

ISBN: 9781447211303

Synopsis (back of the book):What if everything you believed was a lie?

Riley MacPherson is returning to her childhood home in North Carolina. A place that holds cherished memories. While clearing out the house she finds a box of old newspaper articles - and a shocking family secret begins to unravel.

Riley has spent her whole life believing that her older sister Lisa died tragically as a teenager. But now she's starting to uncover the truth: her life has been built on a foundation of lies, told by everyone she loved.

Lisa is alive. Alive and living under a new identity. But why exactly was she on the run all those years ago, and what secrets are being kept now?

As Riley tries to separate reality from fiction, her discoveries call into question everything she thought she knew about her family.

My thoughts: I pre-ordered this book last year, and it arrived a few days ago. I've loved all Diane Chamberlain's books that I've read so far, and have some more on my TBR. This one is a new release, and once it was out in the paperback size I like (which the other books I have are, too), I pre-ordered it. I was really looking forward to reading this book so not long after it had arrived I started to read it.

This book was really good. I loved the characters, they were very interesting to read about. I loved the plot twists in the book, many of them unexpected and the story was suspenseful, I wanted to keep on reading and found it hard to put the book down (this is one of the reasons why I read it in two days). The writing style was pleasant and I enjoyed reading the book. The story takes place mostly in the 'now' but every now and then there are some chapters that take place in the past. I quite enjoyed all of the chapters and I loved finding out what had happened and what happened next with the main character and such.

The book has quite a bit of depth and discusses some deep issues. It's a powerful, intense story and I really enjoyed reading it. I'll probably need a bit of time to process it all, as usually with the author's books. I really enjoyed reading this book and I truly felt for the characters. It was an amazing story.

By going through the reviews on GoodReads, it seems not everyone liked the book as much as I did. I liked it though, I found it an enjoyable thought-provoking book.