Having trouble reading

Echo

Have any of you gone through a period, whether for a few days, or even a few months or years, when you couldn't make yourself sit down and read anything? This week, I've been having a heck of a time reading anything except my For Better or for Worse comic strip collections. I am still trying to finish three separate books, and I'm constantly thinking about what I want to read next, but I can't make myself sit and just read. I went through a long stage like this about two years ago, when for almost that whole year, I hardly read at all, which is very unusual for me, as reading is my favorite pass time!

Has anyone else ever dealt with this kind of problem?

Yes, something like that happened to me in the late 1970s, soon after I qualified as a doctor. I had no problem with academic reading, but for some reason I went through a patch that lasted almost 2 years during which I could not keep up with and finish any work of fiction. I have still no idea why and even though I eventually conquered the problem, I feel that the experience slowed down my pace of reading permanently.

I was like that a week or so ago - I read 10 pages of one book and then half of another before settling on the one I'm currently reading. There have been a lot of distractions and change to routine recently so I think that's the reason. I agree Michelle, when you get like that you do get more fussy - I think you have to be in the right frame of mind for the book you choose.

I'm suffering a loss of book mojo at the moment too - although I'm really enjoying The Name of the Rose, I've now been reading it for 4 days and I'm only up to page 196! It's 502 pages long, so I'm not even half-way through it yet!

And if this is happening with a book I'm enjoying, think how bad I'd be if I wasn't enjoying it so much!

I'm hoping to finish it by Tuesday night as it's a hefty book and I don't want to take it to Swindon with me - I already have several picked out for the trip and all are a good deal shorter than this one in the hopes that my mojo will revive!

Whilst I was revising for my GCSEs, I decided to give up reading so as not to get distracted from revision. Afterwards, it took me a few weeks to get back into reading. I found it hard to settle down and relax with a book as I kept thinking that I should be doing something else.

I always read something before I go to sleep - otherwise I can't!

Over the last few years though I've been so tired I haven't been able to focus very well, so I've been re-reading all the books I know well. The same thing happened when I was doing exams - A-levels, Uni etc.

I've never had a period where I've not been able to read anything but I have had to go back to really 'easy-to-read' books.

I went for about 3 or 4 weeks earlier in the year without reading anything as I just wasn't in the mood. I think it was because prior to that the book I was reading just didn't grab my attention at all and even though I gave up on it a couple of chapters in it really put me off reading for a while.

I used to have that problem when I constantly bought books. I'd really struggle to decide which ones to read, and would sometime read the first few pages of 5 or 6 different books before settling on one. :D Now that I mostly read library books, it's not so hard to choose. I know that I have to read them before the due date, so it helps me choose.

I haven't really gone through a phase of not feeling like reading at all. I do find it hard to sit still and read for long periods of time (something always distracts me), but I always do have a book on the go.

I'm going through a phase of not reading at the moment. I'm struggling to find something that keeps my interest (apart from The apple!) long enough to get past the first couple of pages. Went to the library yesterday and came back with some smaller books which I am hoping will help.

Are you feeling ok, Echo? Sometimes not being able to concentrate can mean you have something on your mind...

Thanks, SteffieB! I'm all right, just the usual stresses: money, family, moving, school, work, etc. This problem with reading is a very recent phenomenon. I was able to read Harry Potter in 24 hours! I think I'm just not able to concentrate on any silly or heavy. I need to find a book that's in-between, something easy to read, but of good quality. That will get me back into the groove. :D

I too have been through these phases. Earlier in the year I read a few books that really grabbed me and enjoyed them a lot. Now, although I am enjoying the bookd I am reading (they still grab me), I feel like I am just meandering through. I agree with Michelle. You need to be in the right mood. I'm not sure that this applies to Harry Potter 7. I think with that it is that I don't want to finish it. I only have about 10 pages now though.

I have so many choices for my next book. Do I read what I have recently bought? Do I read something I have had for a while or do I head to the library and catch up on some reading circle books I want to read? I also have a book on brass bands I have borrowed and want to read, but I'll read through that slowly. I think I am really going to have to think about what I want to read next.

Janet, I too think I am going to find it hard to settle after such an amazing Harry Potter book.

I go through reading deserts all the time (not since I have been here though yet). If I am struggling to read I simply have a break and don't try to force it.

If you need some recommends for something half way between silly/heavy I am sure people here can help.

I would suggest Alex Garlands the Beach (I know not everyone liked it) but I found it pacy with a good story and plenty of good quality writing. It has elements of adventure, is easy to read and has depth too.

Or for something with humour in it why not something by Douglas Adams or Ben Elton (intelligent but light and funny). maybe Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency?

Thanks, SteffieB! I'm all right, just the usual stresses: money, family, moving, school, work, etc. This problem with reading is a very recent phenomenon. I was able to read Harry Potter in 24 hours! I think I'm just not able to concentrate on any silly or heavy. I need to find a book that's in-between, something easy to read, but of good quality. That will get me back into the groove. :D

That sounds like a lot of stuff going on! Hope all goes well. The "usual stresses" get overwhelming at times..but a good book works wonders.

Have you ever read Practical Magic, by Alice Hoffman? Light and fast reading, for sure. And I second Douglas Adams..or even some Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett with Good Omens.

i went through a period when i didnt read right after i finished graduate school- i just felt totally burned out by school reading that picking up a book seemed really an effort- carm

I went through a horrible period a couple of years ago when I was on antidepressants and one of the side effects was that i just couldn't concentrate enough to read anything...which made me feel even more depressed:roll: I was eventually diagnosed with underactive thyroid and although I'm now back to normal (debateable!!) I still get times when I just can't read. I find going for a walk sometimes helps.

This has happend to me before yes, i went for probably 2-3 years without finishing a book, which is odd as most months i will finish at least one book, if not 2 or 3 but it does eventually pass. I could not for sure say what stopped me wanting to read but i think its because i was so fed up at school as soon as i was in college i hit the books for fun again and have not looked back. Is there some sort of weight hanging over your head?

• 2 months later...

:censored: Aww hugs babes, not a nice feeling is it? You need a holiday :lol: (25 more sleeps and counting!)

Mine still hasn't fully returned from July but a least I am start to enjoy reading again even if it's not quite as prolific.

I've not been in much of a reading mood lately - my mojo seems to be on the fritz! I've ditched several books recently because they just weren't engaging me, despite being critically acclaimed novels (Brick Lane and The Mystic Masseur) and even though I'm enjoying my current read (The Identity Factor), I'm finding that if I read for longer than about 20 minutes, my mind starts majorly wandering and I end up having to re-read chunks of text to get back to where I was.

It's very annoying, as I really do want to read this book (I started reading it on 7 November, and here we are almost a week later and I'm only on page 158! That's VERY slow reading for me!