Your Book Activity - August 2014

Athena

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that on Goodreads and went 'Wow, I wonder if she likes it!' :)

She likes it a lot! :) It's so atmospheric and interesting...and to think that it all really happened!

I see that you've read and enjoyed WYGB? I took that book to my parents' place and had it at the top of my little TBR pile there, but I ended up finishing a few books that I had already started. I might make it my next read. :)

She likes it a lot! :) It's so atmospheric and interesting...and to think that it all really happened!

Very cool beans! I should look if they have copies of the book at the Espoo libraries... :D

Edit: Awesome! Espoo rules :D:cool: They have copies! :exc:

I see that you've read and enjoyed WYGB? I took that book to my parents' place and had it at the top of my little TBR pile there, but I ended up finishing a few books that I had already started. I might make it my next read. :)

Hehe what a coinky dinky! Great minds ;) I hope you shall like it. There are some very interesting characters and events in that one! :)

Edited by frankie

I just finished reading "Fractured" by Karin Slaughter. Good book and a typical Karin Slaughter (for fans of Karin Slaughter). I also finished "Becoming Chloe" by Catherine Ryan Hyde who has become an author that I really, really, like.

I am starting "Fragile Things" by Neil Gaiman.

Edited by muggle not

Last night I finished Rain Girl by  Gabi Kreslehner, good German police procedural.  It was a kindle first and well worth the read.

Don't know what is next to leap off of the pile. :)

Edited by pontalba

Thanks for that! :) Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I wonder if you detailed thoughts on it might affect my reading of it. I mean if I would 'get' the book on my own. What kind of thoughts I'd have about it myself, before reading anyone else's thoughts about it. :blush: Does that make sense? 

Makes sense.  And now that I read the review AGAIN, I think some of my impressions might affect how you read the book.  I hate spoilers.  Even vague ones, so maybe The Fountainhead review you might wanna stay away from if you feel you might read it in the near future.  The distant, distant future, ok, maybe.  I even had Alexi add it to her wishlist.  I just added 3 spoiler tags, just to be safe if anyone reads it- I just learned how to spoiler tag so beware :P

Finished Poppy by Mary Hooper and started Velvet also by Mary Hooper.  It's been a Mary Hooper sort of day … :giggle2:

That was quick- didn't you just start Poppy yesterday??

That was quick- didn't you just start Poppy yesterday??

Ooops … busted!!!!   :harhar: 

Yes, I did start it yesterday, but in my defence, it is a YA book, with a rather large typeface, and Hooper writes in such an easy style and with wonderful characters, that the pages just slip by without you realising how quickly they're going. :smile2:

Ooops … busted!!!!   :harhar: 

Yes, I did start it yesterday, but in my defence, it is a YA book, with a rather large typeface, and Hooper writes in such an easy style and with wonderful characters, that the pages just slip by without you realising how quickly they're going. :smile2:

:giggle2: You read so fast I should've expected it!  I just thought it was way cool you read it for the WWI anniversary.  I've never read Mary Hooper- do you recommend Poppy?  Velvet sounds good- a bit like The Bloodletter's Daughter (although not YA).

Edit: Awesome! Espoo rules :D:cool: They have copies! :exc:

Yay!

I was just reading more of The Devil in the White City and found one of those nice little coincidences and thought of you. Buffalo Bill has arrived in town and set up his show next to the fair grounds. It mentioned the 'Congress of Rough Riders' and I wondered whether it was related to John Boyne's book of the same name...and it is! I must have bought CRR without actually reading the synopsis (I sometimes buy books by authors I've previously read and enjoyed without reading the synopsis). So now I know that CRR is all about Buffalo Bill. I bet it will mention the Chicago fair in there somewhere! I love it when books sort of cross-reference each other. :)

I finished listening to The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Armin this morning in the car. I was sure I had the film somewhere, so I'm going to have to dig it out to watch again, as the book was wonderful, but it's been about 15 years since I've seen the film, and would love the compare with the book. I'm sure it compares favourably, as I read the book a few years back too, so I'm familiar with both, but would still love to see it again.

Also came home from work and flopped in the chair so I could polish off the last couple of chapters of Velvet by Mary Hooper, as I just couldn't quite finish it during my lunch break. Good stuff.

Not sure what I'll read next, but there's a book out tomorrow that I've been waiting for, so I might go and get that from the bookshop tomorrow, and I have a feeling a book I pre-ordered on Kindle is also out tomorrow, so that'll come down in the morning and I might start that instead … assuming I can get through the evening without starting something new, but since Bake Off is back tonight, I think there's a good possibility that might happen. :D

Can't seem to settle on anything to read.  I've picked up several with not much in the way of results.   hmmmm  /tapping toe/

I hope you find something!

My mojo hasn't been feeling great the past two weeks. I'm not sure what to do to make it better. Sometimes I do read and enjoy it but somehow every time I'm thinking about whether I shall read I don't really feel like it (once I read for a while though it feels a little bit better). But I'm too tired to do many other things at the moment :thud:.

Finally finished Edward Rutherfurd's New York, loved every minute of it. The end was very sad with the World Trade Center attacks though. I will remember this book for a long time.

Finally finished Edward Rutherfurd's New York, loved every minute of it. The end was very sad with the World Trade Center attacks though. I will remember this book for a long time.

Sounds interesting. I may put the book on my TBR list.

I have just started reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. Can't seem to get into it though. I will have to concentrate on it tonight. Once I start a book I like to finish it.

I have 3 books on hold at the library. My luck they will probably all come available at the same time.

1. Close Your Eyes Hold Hands - Chris Bohjalian
  2. Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
  3. The Target - David Baldacci
Edited by muggle not

Sounds interesting. I may put the book on my TBR list.

I have just started reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. Can't seem to get into it though. I will have to concentrate on it tonight. Once I start a book I like to finish it.

I have 3 books on hold at the library. My luck they will probably all come available at the same time.

1. Close Your Eyes Hold Hands - Chris Bohjalian
  2. Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
  3. The Target - David Baldacci

You should definitely read it, you wont regret it. Im quite sad that ive finished it haha.

Next up for me is Irvine Welsh's Acid House (same man who wrote Trainspotting). Could take me some time though as its written in broad Scottish & even though i dont live too far from Scotland i just dont understand them haha

acid_zpsd7e59aff.jpg

Edited by geordie9

Next up for me is Irvine Welsh's Acid House (same man who wrote Trainspotting). Could take me some time though as its written in broad Scottish & even though i dont live too far from Scotland i just dont understand them haha

Good luck with that- I couldn't get past 10 pages in Trainspotting.  Gave me a terrific headache :P (Loved the movie though & the soundtrack was awesome).

Finished Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands this afternoon (review in my thread) and now am in between Elie Wiesel's Memoirs All Rivers Run to the Sea and Salt: A Post- Apocalyptic Thriller by Colin F. Barnes.  Wiesel is always so elegant (this will be book #5 of his I have read) and Salt is turning out to be good:

In 2014 humanity didn’t stand a chance.
A series of fatal climatic disasters struck, entirely drowning the planet. Now, just one hundred and twenty-five souls remain, surviving on a flotilla of damaged ships. Facing severe threats to their numbers by a fatal bacterium and increasingly warring factions, they discover a serial killer within their midst. (Amazon)

Edited by Anna Begins

Haven't had chance to update for a few days - a pre-ordered Kindle book downloaded on Thursday, The Original Miss Honeyford by M. C. Beaton, so I read that, and then Emma Carroll's second book, The Girl Who Walked On Air, was published on Thursday as well, so I popped into Waterstone's to get it, and it was in the buy one get one half price offer, so I also bought We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.

Yay!

I was just reading more of The Devil in the White City and found one of those nice little coincidences and thought of you. Buffalo Bill has arrived in town and set up his show next to the fair grounds. It mentioned the 'Congress of Rough Riders' and I wondered whether it was related to John Boyne's book of the same name...and it is! I must have bought CRR without actually reading the synopsis (I sometimes buy books by authors I've previously read and enjoyed without reading the synopsis). So now I know that CRR is all about Buffalo Bill. I bet it will mention the Chicago fair in there somewhere! I love it when books sort of cross-reference each other. :)

Hehe, that's great! I love those coincidences :smile2: And guess what. Coincidentally, I'm currently reading a John Boyne book :D I swear!! I came to this thread to write about it! It's called The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket and I'm really enjoying it. 

And guess what: the story is set in Sydney, Australia! :D

I haven't heard of CoRR, though, so good on you! :) I hope it's a good book. This Boyne book is the third I'm reading, and I've enjoyed all of his books immensely. He's someone to watch out for, for sure! 

Edit: OOoh Kylie, Kylie! I received a FTBC newsletter yesterday and it made me think of the Kerry Greenwood book and Parrot & Olivier, and then I thought, why don't I just check the Espoo libraries if they have copies. No luck with Kerry Greenwood, but they do have copies of P&O!! I'm so excited! :exc::D As much as I love my hometown library, their collection does not compare to the collections of the Espoo libraries. Which is very understandable, Espoo is loads bigger and has more money. But it's going to be good for me :blush::wub: 

Edited by frankie

Finished Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands this afternoon (review in my thread) and now am in between Elie Wiesel's Memoirs All Rivers Run to the Sea and Salt: A Post- Apocalyptic Thriller by Colin F. Barnes.  Wiesel is always so elegant (this will be book #5 of his I have read) and Salt is turning out to be good:

In 2014 humanity didn’t stand a chance.

A series of fatal climatic disasters struck, entirely drowning the planet. Now, just one hundred and twenty-five souls remain, surviving on a flotilla of damaged ships. Facing severe threats to their numbers by a fatal bacterium and increasingly warring factions, they discover a serial killer within their midst. (Amazon)

I like the sound of that, wil put it on my list