Your Book Activity - July 2014

Alexi

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you read I Know This Much Is True, Anna....it's a brilliant book. :boogie:

Sycamore Row is good so far. It's been a while since I've read any John Grisham. I was a big fan years ago, but for some reason just stopped reading his newer stuff. A Time to Kill is a great read, but brutal subject matter. Sycamore Row doesn't seem to be a strict sequel; it has a separate storyline, but the same main character. I'm going into it a bit blind - I didn't bother reading the synopsis; I bought it based on a recommendation - but so far it does look like it will develop into a 'courtoom drama'. I'll let you know how I get on. :smile:

A Time to Kill sounds more interesting, I think I will put that and maybe Sycamore Row (depending on what you think) on my short list.  My dad will be happy too :smile:

Yesterday afternoon/evening I wanted something short to read so I read and finished Vanessa Curtis - Zelah Green 2: One More Little Problem, a book I bought because it was cheap and sounded interesting. I really enjoyed it. Sometimes it's great to go into a book with low expectations and little hype :) (review up shortly). It would've been great for a read-a-thon as well. Depending on how much time I have today I might or might not start another book or a short story. I'm taking Morgan Matson - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour with me on my trip as well as my Kindle (which has a variety of books on it). I don't know if I'll be able to read much, I used to get carsick so we have to wait and see.

EDIT: I've started to read Neil Gaiman - The Ocean at the End of the Lane. So far it's quite interesting and enjoyable to read. I hope to have it finished later today. I think a few people here have read it?

Edited by Athena

I ended up reading the latest Secret McQueen book from Sierra Dean, called Cold Hard Secret, as I couldn't get into anything else and it was too hot to have to think too much! :D

Been out and about today, but I have started the next Amelia Peabody book in the series I've been reading, called The Last Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters, and I also found a copy of Velvet by Mary Hooper at the Oxfam bookshop, so that's made its way home with me too. :smile2:

Last night I finished my reread of American Gods and have started The Dinner by Herman Koch.  I'm not sure if I'll do a review of AG or not, since it's a reread.  Same four star rating though! :D

Last night I finished my reread of American Gods and have started The Dinner by Herman Koch.  I'm not sure if I'll do a review of AG or not, since it's a reread.  Same four star rating though! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading it :D!

In the past three weeks I've read:

A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson

A Walk In The Woods is on my next to read list. I've read most of Bill Bryson's other books, and have been told by numerous sources that A Walk In The Woods is the best of his collection.

Athena and Anna Begins were talking about lack of mojo and I just wanted to say I agree with Anna Begins: mojos do tend to come back, so hang in there people! Athena, it seems like you've been doing better now with yours? :) 

Re: the discussion: my mojo's been gone a long time, too, but it's somewhat come back now. I guess I found the perfect book for my mood. I've missed reading so very much :blush: 

I'm currently reading Hannes Råstam's book on Thomas Quick, whose real name is Sture Bergwall. He's a Swedish man who was convicted of eight murders, but all the convictions have since then been overturned. A highly fascinating read! I'm aching to finish the book so I can google some of the people in the book and see where they are now and what has happened since the publication of the book. I'm not sure if this book has been translated into English.... If it is, I'm sure some of our true crime buffs would find the book interesting :) 

Poor Harold  :D It's so much better when a book sticks in your head ... less hard work. If it doesn't grab soon move on to something else or it'll kill your mojo :o  :empathy: 

Harold will most definitely get another chance, I've not completely abandoned him. I still have the book and I might give it a go soonish! :) 

I finished Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly.  4/5

I'm sorry but this made me laugh. It read like you've read the book and taken a test and scored 4/5 on the How good of a mother are you - test :giggle: 

I just finished the Thomas Quick book, it was really good! Such a shame the author died so soon after the publication, and he was still so young! There were still tons of stories for him to uncover... May he rest in peace. 

This was the first book I've finished in 15 days, again, me thinks :rolleyes::D I'm hoping to pull a fast one on mojo now, and find something really captivating so I can keep on reading  :readingtwo:

Finished reading Alexander Master's Stuart: A Life Backwards. Despite the writing style being as chaotic as Stuart Shorter's mind and life I give it 4/5.

My journey through An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor has been taken at a leisurely pace I'm still enjoying the read with 225 pages strolled through.

Started Peter Robinson's Pieces of My Heart this morning.

I started reading Sweethearts by Sara Zarr last night and got into it :) It's a short book as well, so I should be able to keep going with it. Good so far!

Frankie, I'm happy your mojo is being a lot better :).

I finished reading Neil Gaiman - The Ocean at the End of the Lane on Thursday early morning (I woke up early and was excited about the trip so I finished the book before we set off for the UK) and read a little bit during my trip of Morgan Matson - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. I think I'm about 58-60ish pages in? So far it's quite good.

^ Who could that be? :giggle2:  Hope you finish it soon. It's not fun to be struggling with a book.

Speaking of struggling.....Sycamore Row is taking it's toll. :sarcastic:  I'm 65% or so through it, and I will finish it, but it's just dull. Now I remember why I stopped reading John Grisham. The story is so unexciting, and there seem to be pages of filler. Oh, and I just don't care about any of the characters - they are very one-dimensional and personality-free. :negative:

^ Who could that be? :giggle2:  Hope you finish it soon. It's not fun to be struggling with a book.

Speaking of struggling.....Sycamore Row is taking it's toll. :sarcastic:  I'm 65% or so through it, and I will finish it, but it's just dull. Now I remember why I stopped reading John Grisham. The story is so unexciting, and there seem to be pages of filler. Oh, and I just don't care about any of the characters - they are very one-dimensional and personality-free. :negative:

:giggle2:

Oh no about Sycamore Row!  That is just what I feared.  Review it and I can tell him I read it :P

I hope to be done by Friday.  I think I can, if I do 10% a day, which seems doable.

I'm sorry to hear that :(. I've only read some early John Grisham novels and really liked those (others are on my TBR).

EDIT: I'm about half way into Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. With all the moving etc. I don't take tons of time to read. Which I think is good considering there's a read-a-thon coming up, though I don't know yet if I'll be participating since I might want to be busy with my new little home instead (I don't expect us to be done by Friday or anything.. still quite some things to do).

Edited by Athena

I'm halfway through The Kindness of Strangers by Mike McIntyre. I started it as something I could dip in and out of while away with work, but am surprising myself by just how much I'm enjoying it and I'm dipping in more than out :D