Your Book Activity - July 2014

Alexi

Am currently reading One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde and also Replay by Ken Grimwood .. both excellent   :smile:

I'm glad to read you're enjoying these two books :). I loved Replay and I have two Jasper Fforde books on my TBR. 

Finished Pet Sematary , 10/10 , one of my favourite books, going to have to watch the film now as i love that too!!

I'm glad you enjoyed this one, it's on my TBR.

Next up a nice big read.....

I've got that on my TBR, I hope you enjoy it :).

I'm liking Replay so far and it's surprising me with all the twists and turns .. I thought I knew how it was going to pan out. You must get around to reading the Fforde sequels soon, they're too good to be ignored :D Though sometimes I have left long gaps between them which you'd think would be fatal (as they are fairly complicated) but somehow it's never a problem to get back into them again .. though they're a complete mind boggle  :giggle2: One day (perhaps in another universe :D) .. I will read them all again back to back .. I'll have a Fforde fest. The Toast Marketing Board is the best invention ever  :D I wish I worked for them .. I'd be ideal as I already do a very good job in promoting toast.

The Toast Marketing Board.. that sounds like another great reason to read these books.

It's the read-a-thon so I have a variety of shorter books lined up. I abandoned Roy Richard Grinker - Unstrange Minds, I liked the first part but not so much the second (review/thoughts will be up after the read-a-thon).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started the audiobook of Carrie, a re-read.  It's narrated by Sissy Spacek.  Maybe this will get me out of my boredom.  It's only 7 hours, so its nice and short.  I can complete it hopefully, and then move on to "normal" reading :P  I want to get back to Ken Follett and World without End.

I've finished The Uninvited by Liz Jensen. I really enjoyed it. Now, what to read next? :roll2:

Decisions, decisions... :smile:  :readingtwo:

Edited by Anna Begins

I started Bright Young Things by Scarlett Thomas last night, and I'm getting on really well with it. I've read a third of it so far, and enjoyed all of it. I was a bit hesitant to start it because I didn't enjoy PopCo (well, I did apart from the author pushing her views too hard), but I'm glad I did. :reading:

You people are so generous....

The lovely Hayley/chaliepud sent me a book today she thought I would enjoy.

:flowers2: thanking you very much for..... 'The Sweetness of Forgetting' by Kristin Harmel......sounds lovely....and possibly one Kay would like too, since it mentions cake/bakery etc. :giggle2: 

You're very welcome Diane, :)

It has recipes at the start of some of the chapters too!! :)

Goes off to check........ooooo so there are...not every chapter but some throughout.....tries not to start the book until finished other.

I'm liking Replay so far and it's surprising me with all the twists and turns .. I thought I knew how it was going to pan out.

So glad to hear you are enjoying it.  :)  Yes, the ending was different.  heh

I've just started Up Above the World by Paul Bowles.  Not sure if I like the style yet, waiting for it to grow on me.

I also just finished the 6th Harry Dresden Files.......Dead Beat by Jim Butcher.

Just finished Bright Young Things by Scarlett Thomas. I loved it! :boogie:

I'm thinking of reading I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. I've had this book on my shelf for probably 15 years, so I may as well read it now. It would be easier if I had the Kindle version, as it's so big, but I'm not going to pay twice for it.

I have given up on Lord of Light. It's definitely not fast paced.

I was going to start Poppet by Mo H, but when I got to work Roger had brought in SK so I started that instead.

I picked up Jean M Auel's Plains of Passage again, I'm only 11% in and read that part of it months ago, which is fine, I remember it ok (there isn't much to remember in this one so far).  I am also still "reading" Carrie narrated by Sissy Spacek, which is very cool.

I planned to start on J. J. Sandra Kooij - ADHD bij Volwassenen today which has arrived but it took me most of the day to write all my reviews (11).. (will post them tomorrow).

Wow!  That's a lot!

I'm liking Replay so far and it's surprising me with all the twists and turns .. I thought I knew how it was going to pan out.

I know what you mean, I also thought I'd know how it would go and I was blown away quite a few times! :smile2: Brilliant stuff!

You must get around to reading the Fforde sequels soon, they're too good to be ignored :D Though sometimes I have left long gaps between them which you'd think would be fatal (as they are fairly complicated) but somehow it's never a problem to get back into them again .. though they're a complete mind boggle  :giggle2: One day (perhaps in another universe :D) .. I will read them all again back to back .. I'll have a Fforde fest. The Toast Marketing Board is the best invention ever  :D I wish I worked for them .. I'd be ideal as I already do a very good job in promoting toast.

I know, the books are too good to just wait on the shelves... :blush: But I wish I could read all the books they refer to and that would take some serious time. I was so very fortunate to have read Jane Eyre before I read the first novel in the series. Had I not done that, it would've been a whole other experience. Do you think there are any books that I would seriously need to read before getting into the TN series? I mean I will never get to reading all of the ones referred to, but I'd like to know about/read the ones that make a big impact, you know?

And yeah, they are fairly complicated like you said. I think with my current mojo it's probably best I wait for later. The Toast Marketing Board?? I can't remember any such thing :unsure: I wonder if it was mentioned in the first book. If it was, shame on me!!

I read the first half of Stephen King's The Gunslinger.

I'm really enjoying it. First time reading King's work and so far I'm not dissapointed.

Welcome to the forum! :) Glad to hear you are enjoying a King novel. Are you planning on reading any of his other books?

Last night I finished the first book in 15 (!) days. A small victory! I have no idea what book to read next, though.

Wow!  That's a lot!

I read the first half of Stephen King's The Gunslinger.

I'm really enjoying it. First time reading King's work and so far I'm not dissapointed.

That's great to read! I have that book on my wishlist. I've read and enjoyed some of King's other books, I hope you enjoy the book all the way through :).

I know, the books are too good to just wait on the shelves... :blush: But I wish I could read all the books they refer to and that would take some serious time. I was so very fortunate to have read Jane Eyre before I read the first novel in the series. Had I not done that, it would've been a whole other experience. Do you think there are any books that I would seriously need to read before getting into the TN series? I mean I will never get to reading all of the ones referred to, but I'd like to know about/read the ones that make a big impact, you know?

I'd love to know this too :).

Last night I finished the first book in 15 (!) days. A small victory! I have no idea what book to read next, though.

Great job :)!

I've started reading J. J. Sandra Kooij - ADHD bij Volwassenen, so far it's pretty good though a little technical too. It's more of a study book for health professionals than relaxing literature for the layperson. But I don't mind it too much, I've studied chemistry and so far I seem to understand the book so all good :) (just might start a fiction book alongside it.. but I'm not sure which one. I'm more interested at the moment to read some non-fiction, I want to know more about ADD).

I've just finished Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin, which I loved, although the ending annoyed me slightly.

Like Athena, I'm in the mood for some non fiction, so I've started Scottish Independence:Weighing Up the Economics. Lots of talk about it as September draws closer and I'd like to add more to my knowledge.

And yeah, they are fairly complicated like you said. I think with my current mojo it's probably best I wait for later. The Toast Marketing Board?? I can't remember any such thing :unsure: I wonder if it was mentioned in the first book. If it was, shame on me!!

I don't think you need to read the books he refers to. With Jane Eyre it was sort of pivotal but other than that I don't think it matters. It means you don't fully get the meaning sometimes .. I keep thinking 'I must read that .. see what he's on about' but it's not vital. A lot of the time the characters are well known even if you haven't read the book .. Miss Havisham for instance .. and Heathcliff, Hamlet and Mrs Tiggywinkle. Some of the time he's referencing authors and because I haven't read them .. I don't get the joke but then half of what he says whizzes past me anyway  :blush2: 

The Raven is possibly another book that is worth reading to get the full understanding .. but I haven't yet  :blush2:

I'm pretty sure The Toast Marketing Board didn't turn up until later. I've a feeling it was in Lost in a Good Book .. though that might not be correct .. but anyway .. you have nothing to chastise yourself for .. it was a later addition.

I don't think you need to read the books he refers to. With Jane Eyre it was sort of pivotal but other than that I don't think it matters. It means you don't fully get the meaning sometimes .. I keep thinking 'I must read that .. see what he's on about' but it's not vital. A lot of the time the characters are well known even if you haven't read the book .. Miss Havisham for instance .. and Heathcliff, Hamlet and Mrs Tiggywinkle. Some of the time he's referencing authors and because I haven't read them .. I don't get the joke but then half of what he says whizzes past me anyway  :blush2: 

Thanks Kay :). I have to admit I don't remember a Miss Havisham or Mrs Tiggywinkle, what books are they from? (maybe I haven't read them yet) 

I've just finished Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin, which I loved, although the ending annoyed me slightly.

I'm glad you liked the book :). I look forward to read your review.

Great job!

Crappy job, more like it :blush::D

I really really want to read this novel soon! :) Have you read or are you going to read The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by the same author? I would totally recommend it :smile2:

I don't think you need to read the books he refers to. With Jane Eyre it was sort of pivotal but other than that I don't think it matters. It means you don't fully get the meaning sometimes .. I keep thinking 'I must read that .. see what he's on about' but it's not vital. A lot of the time the characters are well known even if you haven't read the book .. Miss Havisham for instance .. and Heathcliff, Hamlet and Mrs Tiggywinkle. Some of the time he's referencing authors and because I haven't read them .. I don't get the joke but then half of what he says whizzes past me anyway  

The Raven is possibly another book that is worth reading to get the full understanding .. but I haven't yet  

I'm pretty sure The Toast Marketing Board didn't turn up until later. I've a feeling it was in Lost in a Good Book .. though that might not be correct .. but anyway .. you have nothing to chastise yourself for .. it was a later addition.

Oh poppyshake. You give me too much credit! I've heard of Miss Havisham and I know she's in a Dickens book, but I know absolutely nothing about her :blush: I know Heathcliff and Hamlet... But who is Mrs Tiggywinkle?! :blush: This is exactly why I think I ought to read all the books referenced to. Although if you say that only with JE was it pivotal to have read the book... I might be okay. I trust your opinion. Only, if you now decide otherwise, having heard I know nothing about Miss Havisham and Mrs Tiggywinkle... Please give me a holler! :blush::lol:

Oh the Raven! I think ... Well I'm supposed to have a book of Poe's collected work so I do have a copy of that so I should read that one. Thanks!

Thank you for pardoning me re: The Toast Marketing Board :D

I started a new book last night. Well the night before, but I had to re-start it. I'm now reading the Harold Fry book by the ... um... author. Can't remember whole title or author! :unsure: Unlikely Pilgrimage something. 

Edited by frankie

Oh poppyshake. You give me too much credit! I've heard of Miss Havisham and I know she's in a Dickens book, but I know absolutely nothing about her. I know Heathcliff and Hamlet... But who is Mrs Tiggywinkle?! This is exactly why I think I ought to read all the books referenced to. Although if you say that only with JE was it pivotal to have read the book... I might be okay. I trust your opinion. Only, if you now decide otherwise, having heard I know nothing about Miss Havisham and Mrs Tiggywinkle... Please give me a holler! 

Oh the Raven! I think ... Well I'm supposed to have a book of Poe's collected work so I do have a copy of that so I should read that one. Thanks!

Thank you for pardoning me re: The Toast Marketing Board.

I started a new book last night. Well the night before, but I had to re-start it. I'm now reading the Harold Fry book by the ... um... author. Can't remember whole title or author! Unlikely Pilgrimage something. 

:D Mrs Tiggy-winkle is in the Beatrix Potter stories. She's a hedgehog washer woman .. she seems to do the laundry for a lot of Beatrix's characters. She looks like this ..

tiggywinkle.jpg

(for Gaia too :) ) They are very British children's books really and so it's not surprising you haven't read them. I'm not sure I've actually read them .. I just know of them and the characters. You certainly don't need to read that book .. nothing much happens except old Tiggy sorts out the washing :D In Jasper's books .. she's a Jurisfiction Agent :D

Miss Havisham is far more complex. She's in Dickens' Great Expectations. She got jilted on her wedding day (some thirty or so years before the story starts) and still hasn't changed out of her wedding dress  :o (bit whiffy .. I would think  :blush2:) .. the room where the reception was going to take place has been kept as it was .. wedding cake and all .. covered in cobwebs and mice scuttling about  :hide: All the clocks have been stopped at twenty minutes to nine .. which is when she received the letter from her fiance calling off the wedding. In short .. she's bonkers  :D She adopts an orphan child .. Estella .. and is raising her to be a prodigious breaker of boy's/men's hearts, as a revenge on the sex. The main character in Great Expectations ... Pip .. falls in love with Estella more or less as soon as he sets eyes on her  :blush2: 

In Jasper's books .. Miss Havisham is also a Jurisfiction Agent .. a rather marvellous one actually and quite unlike her Dicken's persona.

I'm thinking this is a ploy on Jasper's behalf to get us all reading more :D It certainly makes you enjoy his books a whole lot more if you are in on the joke. It's not vital though.

Hope you enjoy Harold Fry and his unlikely pilgrimage  :D 

Crappy job, more like it :blush::D

I really really want to read this novel soon! :) Have you read or are you going to read The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by the same author? I would totally recommend it :smile2:

I definitely want to read more of Zevin's work. I will look out for that one - also want to read her novel Elsewhere. Memoirs was an easy read, but a thoroughly enjoyable one.

Thanks Kay :). I have to admit I don't remember a Miss Havisham or Mrs Tiggywinkle, what books are they from? (maybe I haven't read them yet)  I'm glad you liked the book :). I look forward to read your review.

Thanks Gaia! It was a great discovery - I should visit the library quick selection shelf more often...except the TBR would be even more out of control of course. ;)

Welcome to the forum! :) Glad to hear you are enjoying a King novel. Are you planning on reading any of his other books?

Thanks, I'm a long time lurker, thought I should get in on the fun! :smile:

I finished the book and I loved it, I ordered the rest of the collection so I'll be busy with that for some time!