Debate over article "Against YA"

Athena

You are very right , and brought up a good point. The YA books I'm sure help lots of teens address situations in their lives that they struggle with such a s bullying for one . There are probably lots of teens who don't have a close person they feel comfortable in talking to ,so they can read about others who face adversity and how to handle it .

I think this is the right place for this... I saw the movie for Gale Forman's If I Stay last night and ended up reading an interview with her after the movie on Amazon. She gave a great quote on YA: 

Q: This book explores some serious themes. Why is this a book for kids and not adults?

GF: It’s a book for kids precisely because it explores serious themes. Teenagers are grappling with choices about life and love as much as adults, so why shouldn’t their reading reflect that? I don’t set out to write YA. It just seems like I’m drawn to stories about young people. That said, I think If I Stay is for adults, too. I love the idea of teens reading this book and then handing it off to their parents.

Edited by Anna Begins

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coming to this late: don't know why I didn't pick this up earlier.

Some interesting thoughts and comments. Some of my own to contribute:

Personally, I tend not to read YA books much any more: yes I do, in very broad terms, find most of them a bit too simplistic for my taste, and tend to hanker for something  I find a bit more involving and/or challenging.  I also am generalising very broadly: YA books encompass a massive range of reading, just as 'grown-up' books do.  But, within those general terms, there is a difference.  I don't quite know what it is - I read plenty of lighter books, so we're not talking just big classics etc., but there is something about the writing in YA books that feels 'younger'.   But that, I think, is as much due to the fact that, being a teacher, I've had more than enough of 'young people's' issues/ideas at the end of the working day, and am in need of alternative sustenance.  But I could easily say the same for many 'adult' books.  Indeed, I would suggest that quite a lot of YA books are more 'adult' than many books aimed at the grown-ups!

It's simply horses for courses - we all want different books at different times in different contexts. And I did say 'tend to hanker', as that isn't always the case!  I do feel that the writer is being horribly patronising, and do agree with others here that her condemnation of YA books as unsuitable for 'adults' is a nonsense. 

Funnily enough, I found several of Joanne Harrison's 10 reasons to read YA books exactly reasons why I don't read them much any more:  I certainly appreciate young people, their enthusiasm, etc etc, but I'm not young any more, and my needs have changed (I don't regard myself as old either - mid-50s - but my son would disagree with me!).  I certainly believe reading should be inclusive, i.e. include all styles of readers - including those who don't want to find YA books generally particularly rewarding.  I certainly don't rely on critics (including Joanne Harrison) to tell me what to read, and am equally old enough to decide what I do want to read (as well as leaving others to read what they want to read!).  And I do agree, I want to be completely involved in a book, but I generally don't find I get that involvement with YA books.  Etc etc.

Finally, I'm not sure I agree that 'a good book is a good book', simply because I'm not sure what is meant by a 'good' book.  As I've found all too often since joining my book group, my 'good' (or do I mean 'enjoyable'?) book is somebody else's disaster, and vice-versa. 

Edited by willoyd