What's Up in May?

Athena

I have some really exciting news - Coran and I are getting married on August 22nd. :smile:  I can't quite believe that after 17 years it is finally happening - it feels though like the right time. We have discussed it many times over the years, but with Coran's gender change that did complicate things. Of course we could have done it years ago as a man (which legally Coran still is) and woman but the trouble is that if Coran had legally changed gender, which at some point will happen, we would have had to get divorced as until recently men and men - or women and women (which we would then have been) couldn't get married. Not any more though - you can now marry whoever you want, and about time too in my opinion. It isn't going to be a big thing, just us and a few close family and friends, but we plan on having a blessing later on where everyone will be invited. The ceremony itself is really just to take care of the legalities.    

What fantastic news, June!  May you and Coran have a magnificent day, and continue to be happy together.  :flowers2:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone - although it seems a bit sudden in some ways, it has been a long time coming. :smile:

I am feeling tired today though after a bit of a strange week. Coran had to have an endoscope test today, so I had to take her to the hospital which meant changing all my hours at work to make up for the time off. I had to do a 10 hour day then yesterday and this morning I started an hour early at 7am - I don't know how I used to do that every day and certainly wouldn't want to go back to doing it again - 8am is an early enough start for me.

We are though both looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend with plenty more sunshine - sun cream is going on the shopping list for tomorrow. The wedding news has overshadowed my forthcoming trip to Iceland somewhat, which is fast coming round as well - 4 weeks yesterday.

My youngest granddaughter graduated today from NYU (New York University). She was an Honor student. Tomorrow she flies from N.Y. to Alaska for a 3 month internship job. There was one opening for the internship and she was selected from all the applicants. The location is in the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska, a remote area of 16,000 sq. miles with much wildlife. She will take a quick study in "bear" safety as there are many wild brown bear (which can be dangerous) in the Peninsula. Seventy % of her work will be in the field where she will be in charge of specific projects. There are two rivers, the Kenai and the Russian, and both are well known for their salmon which is probably the best in the world.  Her airline tickets are paid for, they will furnish her a car, and she will live with a host family. :)

And I am the happy grandfather. :)

Many congratulations to your GD, Muggle Not. What a wonderful internship she is undertaking in what truly must still be an unspoilt region. :smile:

I would love to hear more about 'Bear Safety'. Aside from "Don't touch a bear's salmon stash!" I can only think of 'Running like the wind if you see one (once photos have been taken)'. :giggle2:

Many congratulations to your GD, Muggle Not. What a wonderful internship she is undertaking in what truly must still be an unspoilt region. :smile:

I would love to hear more about 'Bear Safety'. Aside from "Don't touch a bear's salmon stash!" I can only think of 'Running like the wind if you see one (once photos have been taken)'. :giggle2:

I did a little research on the Kenai peninsula regarding bears. :) See below:

Breakup signals the return of summer to Alaska, as well as bears awakening from hibernation. Officials recommend Kenai Peninsula residents remain cautious of bears when outdoors. Brown bears are present in the surrounding wilderness and dwell close to Kenai and Soldotna.

Brown and black bears inhabit Kenai refuge and central Peninsula. Black bears are common in all forest habitats on the refuge. They also occur above tree line in the Kenai Mountains. Densities average around one bear per 1.6 square miles, according to the refuge.

Warning signs were put up along a few trails after bears charged hikers, but there were no attacks.

If people do find themselves confronting a bear, making noise and standing your ground are the best options. If the bear is at a distance, this is especially helpful. It is probably being inquisitive, Miller said.

On another note, my GD has been invited to go kayaking on the river Friday, her first day at work. :)

I could certainly make a noise Muggle Not, but I'm not so sure of the 'stand your ground'. Despite loving bears, I think I would go for the faint on the spot option if one got too close. :blush2:

Kayaking on her first day? How wonderful. Let GD know that there are many strangers on a forum who cannot wait to hear how she gets on! :smile:

What an amazing experience for your granddaughter Muggles! I wonder who she inherited her interest in bears from????? :giggle2: The only advice I've heard is 'DO NOT FEED THE BEARS!' Of course, you'd never do that!! :D

Like Chrissy says, I'm sure there's lots of people here who would love to hear what she's getting up to.

You'll be so proud of how well she did at university. What did she major in?

You should be very proud, Muggle!  She has been nothing but an high achiever, all along.  Well done!  :clapping:

Alaska sounds fun, but also very scary. 

I could certainly make a noise Muggle Not, but I'm not so sure of the 'stand your ground'. Despite loving bears, I think I would go for the faint on the spot option if one got too close. :blush2:

Kayaking on her first day? How wonderful. Let GD know that there are many strangers on a forum who cannot wait to hear how she gets on! :smile:

Black bears are not too aggressive but brown bear can be very aggressive and she will have to be very careful. GD spent a semester studying at the University facility in ACCRA, Africa. While there she arranged for guides to take her and 4 college friends on a small safari into the wilds of Africa. She seen many elephant and on one occasion two elephants came toward her and she was told by the guide to stay put and not run. She said that it was very difficult to stand still in the one spot. :)

What an amazing experience for your granddaughter Muggles! I wonder who she inherited her interest in bears from????? :giggle2: The only advice I've heard is 'DO NOT FEED THE BEARS!' Of course, you'd never do that!! :D

Like Chrissy says, I'm sure there's lots of people here who would love to hear what she's getting up to.

You'll be so proud of how well she did at university. What did she major in?

GD's major was in Environmental studies. She had two minors.

1. Environmental biology.

2. Anthropology

You should be very proud, Muggle!  She has been nothing but an high achiever, all along.  Well done!  :clapping:

Thanks. She is very adventurous and intelligent (unlike me :)). She wrote a poem which I thought was brilliant for her age when she was 13 years old which I posted on this forum and on BAR about 8 years ago. You may or may not remember it. Between her junior and senior year of high school (she was 17 yrs old) she attended Oxford University for 2 / 3 months during the summer and got 2 A's and an A+ in her 3 subjects.

Edited by muggle not

That sounds like a real opportunity for your GD Muggle - actually I am a teeny bit jealous as I have always wanted to go to Alaska. Still, 20 days from now I shall be going to Iceland instead, and a lot of people want to go there too and are probably jealous of me.   :smile:

In typical Bank Holiday style it is tipping down with rain. I have just been paid, so Coran and I are off to Guildford later on to get bits for the Iceland trip, and to look for wedding outfits. I know we have another 3 months yet, but it will soon come round.

Edited by Talisman

Congratulations!! Was it a good ceremony?

Thanks, and yes. A boys choir sang, principal spoke and we got called up, one by one to recieve a ribbon with the school needle and a diploma as everyone applauded us.

Congratulations! Did you enjoy yourself? :smile:

Thank you. I did enjoy myself. Very much. 

LOL, I was worried about bears and lo and behold there is a large forest fire. GD says not to worry as she is fine and they know how to evacuate in the Kenai Peninsula. Says the fire is about 10 miles away from her.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/26/alaska-wildfire-grows-spurs-evacuations/

LOL, I was worried about bears and lo and behold there is a large forest fire. GD says not to worry as she is fine and they know how to evacuate in the Kenai Peninsula. Says the fire is about 10 miles away from her.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/26/alaska-wildfire-grows-spurs-evacuations/

It's not the sort of thing you would expect to happen in Alaska, but it says that wildfires are not uncommon. I'm sure they'll be sensible and keep well away, but let us know how she gets on Muggles.

That's a bit scary! I'm glad your granddaughter is okay :).

I'd love to go out for a half day to a zoo or a city but I'm too tired for it just yet. We were going to go out possibly to our city centre, but we decided against it (the weather was quite bad, for one, and we both felt tired). I'm doing quite a bit around the house and am trying to rest while also doing some nice things such as reading.

Congrats, emelee!  :cool:

muggle!   Keep us up on GDs progress. :)

Yuck, lower back went out again Monday evening.  I will learn to wear the back brace when moving stuff around. 

Some better, with an adjustment from chiropractor, and ice, lots of ice on it.  Have to baby it for a while.  grrrrr!

Edited by pontalba