What's Up in May?

Athena

Good luck with the ear plugs, and good luck later with the doctor Athena. X

I hope everyone we know (and their loved ones) in the United States are staying safe with this current weather system.

x

Thanks Chrissy :). And I fully agree with your statement, I hope everyone we know from the US will be okay.

x  

Congratulations on getting the earplugs, Athena! I bet they'll be a big help. Thinking of you at the docs.

x

Thanks Kate :). It was a very interesting appointment, I will post about it later in my thread. (EDIT: I have done so now, I felt like writing it all down).

So exciting!!! Let.me know how it goes.

x

Thanks Dtr :).

Edited by Athena

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for your concerns.

Bad weather (high winds, flooding, and tornadoes) hit many areas of North  Carolina but we were thankfully spared in our area.

On another note, my vegetable garden is all planted. We are now eating from the garden spring onions and the spinach (there will be a lot of spinach) and radishes should be ready in a week or so. Have also planted tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and 5 types of peppers. Oh, the joy of Spring. :)

We just moved in to a new apartement a couple of weeks ago and it still is absolute chaos. So may will be full of unpacking and cleaning, and tidying up the place. There will also be my 30th birthday in may and my sister, niece and father will come to visit me (which is extremely rare!) for that day. They will also meet my partners parents for the first time. After four years it's about time, I believe. Exciting.

Slow start to the month...no wedding to look forward to now. However we are out to friends tonight who celebrated their Silver Wedding in April and are having friends round for Cava and Tapas tonight. Should be a nice evening...might even wear a dress!

I can't remember the last time I wore a dress - I'm not sure if I even have one !  

It has though been a beautiful day here - I am getting used to not having to work at the weekends, and having Bank Holidays off. I still get 25 days holiday in addition to having Bank Holidays off - 33 days in total, which I think is pretty generous - most companies give you just the standard 28 days including Bank Holidays. The £1500 pay rise I got by coming here also helps - not to mention Mr Clegg's recent tax cuts - an extra £150 a month comes in handy too, especially given that my trip to Iceland is coming up very soon - less than 6 weeks to go! :smile: 6 weeks from now I shall be wandering around the north west fjords, practising with the new trekking poles that I bought today.   

Too much is up in May. 3 essays are to be done. Reading the others' essays and comment them. Defending my own essay. 3 work days await. The graduation ceremony at the university. Meetings. Too much. 

After having worked a few evenings and weekends recently, decided to take Friday off to extend the bank holiday weekend, and so far, it's been a lovely, lazy time.  Been to a couple of garden centres, which involves my boyfriend wandering around, buying lots of plants while I sit in the cafe with a coffee, some toast or a slice of cake, and a book!  I've wanted to try baking a lemon drizzle cake for a long time, and decided today was the today, and was possibly the easiest cake I've ever made.  It's got three lemons in it in total, so it's not too sweet and has that gorgeous citrus tangy flavour.

Apart from that, I've been taking part in the read-a-thon for the first time in months, and I've been lucky enough to read my book of the year so far, so that's a brilliant result.  

Tomorrow will be more of the same, with coffee, lemon drizzle cake eating and plenty of reading.  A pretty perfect weekend. :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

This is strawberry season and there are lots of strawberry fields nearby. So, last night I made some biscuits and we had biscuits with strawberries and a scoop of ice cream. Think I will do the same tonight. :)

This is strawberry season and there are lots of strawberry fields nearby. So, last night I made some biscuits and we had biscuits with strawberries and a scoop of ice cream. Think I will do the same tonight. :)

My mouth is watering. YUM!!! :character0104:

Today is Cinco de Mayo, a holiday commemorating Mexico's democracy and freedom.  In California and some other states, there are demonstrations against illegal immigrants from Mexico and demonstrations by the same immigrants for citizenship.

In California and elsewhere in the US, like Texas, Cinco de Mayo is mostly celebrated with margarita's, Corona beer and Mexican food with big parties and going out!  So YUM!

Edited by Anna Begins

First full day at Barnes and Noble and I had a great time but boy did I hustle! My "mentor" said I should be trained within a couple of days since I am like a sponge, lol!

I was scheduled to work today but as I have a wedding to attend, they graciously let me have it off seeing as they just got the schedules made and added the new employees. When we get home, I think I'll just hit the sofa.

That was awfully nice of them to give you the day off, Virginia.  Shows a certain amount of thoughtfulness for their employees.  :)

Poured down rain most of the day yesterday and most of the night as well.  We were puttering around down South of the Lake for part of the afternoon and when we drove back North, we ran right into more black clouds and rain. heh  Such fun driving the Causeway Bridge in the rain!  :P

Yes, management seems really nice and accommodating and friendly. They want to keep the employees. From what I understand, they've had a major shake up and lots of turn around with people moving on and such.

Wedding was nice, had a good time watching my family dancing and having a great time, especially after the loss of my brother in law. It was good to see my mother in law laugh!

Now its time to settle down for the evening and write up something inspirational for our Mother's Day program at church.

Ive just been to the Katy Perry concert in Newcastle with my 8yr old daughter. It was absolutely brilliant. Katy Perry really does put on a show (and she was feeling unwell), totally worth the money. Plus the fact i have a massive crush on her made it even better :blush2:

I'm glad most of you are doing well :). Today we're celebrating my Father's birthday (his real birthday is next week) as well as Mother's Day. I'm very tired already though it'll be nice to say hello to the visitors. I plan to not spend a lot of time with them as I'm too exhausted for that. Yesterday we had a nice birthday dinner. Tonight I'll be eating seperately as it'll be too busy and noisy for me to eat with everyone else (my sister and her boyfriend are staying for dinner).

I have some really exciting news - Coran and I are getting married on August 22nd. :smile:  I can't quite believe that after 17 years it is finally happening - it feels though like the right time. We have discussed it many times over the years, but with Coran's gender change that did complicate things. Of course we could have done it years ago as a man (which legally Coran still is) and woman but the trouble is that if Coran had legally changed gender, which at some point will happen, we would have had to get divorced as until recently men and men - or women and women (which we would then have been) couldn't get married. Not any more though - you can now marry whoever you want, and about time too in my opinion. It isn't going to be a big thing, just us and a few close family and friends, but we plan on having a blessing later on where everyone will be invited. The ceremony itself is really just to take care of the legalities.    

I have some really exciting news - Coran and I are getting married on August 22nd. :smile:  I can't quite believe that after 17 years it is finally happening - it feels though like the right time. We have discussed it many times over the years, but with Coran's gender change that did complicate things. Of course we could have done it years ago as a man (which legally Coran still is) and woman but the trouble is that if Coran had legally changed gender, which at some point will happen, we would have had to get divorced as until recently men and men - or women and women (which we would then have been) couldn't get married. Not any more though - you can now marry whoever you want, and about time too in my opinion. It isn't going to be a big thing, just us and a few close family and friends, but we plan on having a blessing later on where everyone will be invited. The ceremony itself is really just to take care of the legalities.    

Wow- That's amazing!  I can't wait til the rest of the world catches up.  Congrats- BIG ones.

Just returned from a lovely week away in South Devon. :smile2:  Had an absolutely lovely time, read loads of books :readingtwo: , found a new (to me) bookshop in Totnes, bought a couple of books, then visited another bookshop in Kingsbridge (and bought another book), generally had a relaxing time.  The weather started a bit murky, with a couple of days of mostly sunshine with some heavy downpours in between, but lasted only a few minutes, but the last few days have been glorious.  Had a lovely morning down on the Broadsands beach yesterday, and even I was down to just a T-shirt and jeans (I normally have at least a long sleeved T-shirt as well as a short sleeved T-shirt or a cotton shirt on top) and I even had to put sunscreen on … phew! :cool:

Shame I have to go back to work in a couple of days really, as I could definitely get used to the easy life! :giggle2: