Your Book Activity - May 2014

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Rabinowitz & Kaplan - A Passion for Books, a collection of essays, quotes, list and more related to books. Some pieces I like much more than others. I also wish there were more pieces by female authors, yes years ago reading and book collecting was mainly a man's thing but certainly in the last while society has come a long way. Most of the pieces were written quite a few years ago.

Finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and have started on Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  I really liked When I Found You, so I'm hoping this one will be just as good.  Was going to start the Rushdie book for June's reading circle, but after Pillars of the Earth, I needed something a bit less... epic :smile: Will review today, I think, even though it seems everyone here has read it lol

My mojo was feeling pretty down because I wasn't enjoying Rabinowitz & Kaplan - A Passion for Books and after starting and putting away several books I eventually found one that grabbed me: Stephen King - Carrie.

My mojo was feeling pretty down because I wasn't enjoying Rabinowitz & Kaplan - A Passion for Books and after starting and putting away several books I eventually found one that grabbed me: Stephen King - Carrie.

Smart move :) Enjoy! 

I've come home to Joensuu and I will have no distractions (like parents and their own timetables which I have to adhere to when I'm visiting :giggle:) in my apartment and so I can get on with some real HC reading again :wub: I hope to finish Vanity Fair in the next three days. I've caught a cold or a flu so I have to stay home and rest anyways, so the timing's perfect to finish the megalomaniac novel in every way :D 

I'm three quarters of the way through Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch and it's flipping brilliant!  My favourite of the Peter Grant series so far, and a real page turner.  Thankfully I also bought book four, Broken Homes, at the weekend, so I'll be able to follow straight on with that once I've finished. :D

Loooooved Carrie!

I've read a couple more of the Dresden Files books.  Good stuff.  Also just finished a book by Thomas Perry.  One of the Jane Whitefield stories, the first, maybe.  Vanishing Act.  Really marvelous. 

Have also started a new book, with a new take on Aaron Burr.   Fallen Founder: The Life of Aaron Burr, by Nancy Isenberg. 

She is a serious historian, and had done some monumental research and legwork on the life of Burr.  It seems to be very readable.

Only about 40 pages of Vanity Fair left, then I can start a new book! :exc:

Woohoo :exc:!

I'm starting Jodi Picoult - The Pact (based upon Frankie's recommendation). I've read a few pages so far and it's good. I feel like reading something by a favourite author, and I really like Jodi Picoult's books (those I've read so far).

Edited by Athena

Gentlemen & Players is really, really good! It's on my recommended books -list. Enjoy! :smile2:

Good to hear Frankie, i'm enjoying it so far  :D

I'm glad you're enjoying the third Bridget Jones book, I loved it when I read it :).

My eldest DD got it for christmas & she really enjoyed it as well  :smile:

Finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and have started on Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  I really liked When I Found You, so I'm hoping this one will be just as good.  Was going to start the Rushdie book for June's reading circle, but after Pillars of the Earth, I needed something a bit less... epic :smile: Will review today, I think, even though it seems everyone here has read it lol

Know what you mean Anna, i always like to go for a quick read after a big book  :smile:

Only about 40 pages of Vanity Fair left, then I can start a new book! :exc:

Woop woop !!!!  :doowapstart:

I've started The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney. Anyone read this one? I'm not sure what it's about yet, but I'm enjoying it all the same.

I haven't read it myself BB but i know my sister has read it & she really enjoyed it  :D

Still reading Gentlemen & Players, i'm enjoying the story although i'm not getting as much time to read at the moment with it being the school holidays  :smile: I've also been listening to Longbourn, it's this weeks Book At Bedtime on radio 4 & it also just happens to be my bookgroup read for next month; as i'd already read it this year i didn't really want to re read it so soon but i'm really enjoying listening to it.

Halfway through Cujo, enjoying it more 2nd time around. Its hard to believe Stephen King can't even remember writing this book cos of the drink and drugs.

Cujo's my favourite King book.  Maybe he forgets the best ones.  He probably remembers Insomnia and Desperation vividly :giggle2:

I'm currently around 670 pages into The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough.

Halfway through Cujo, enjoying it more 2nd time around. Its hard to believe Stephen King can't even remember writing this book cos of the drink and drugs.

Yeah he had some rough patches yet produced gold from them :shrug: I'm not sure whether to read Cujo or The Dark Half as my next King read...

Maybe he forgets the best ones.  He probably remembers Insomnia and Desperation vividly 

Let that be a warning against sobriety! :giggle2:

Edited by Timstar

Yeah he had some rough patches yet produced gold from them :shrug: I'm not sure whether to read Cujo or The Dark Half as my next King read...

I would go with Cujo, plus i think its the first book set in Castle Rock which is also where Dark Half is set.

Well, Thanks Timstar for the delicious Battleheart.  I am only at Part 2, but I am enjoying it a great deal.  I also started Lee Child's Jack Reacher book No 15, Worth Dying For to go with it, as I think somethimes I might need something a but different from it.  But otherwise, it's got a lot of action (as does Worth Dying For!  I'm 10% in and Reacher is already beating guys up!).

Cujo is on my TBR list for this year.  I hope I get to it.

I would go with Cujo, plus i think its the first book set in Castle Rock which is also where Dark Half is set.

Is it really?  I didn't know that!  About it being the first Castle Rock story...cool.

Today I bought (for €1.49) a copy of the original penny dreadful serial of Sweeney Todd, edited with an introduction and other information as a movie tie-in by some guy called Robert Mack. I've never read the original serial, so I figured for that price I'd give it a go!

Aside from that I'm also tearing through The Dresden Files, probably going to finish book 4 tonight or tomorrow.

And I'm also reading The Horse Whisperer. Getting back on the... er, horse, with my reading, it would seem. :giggle:

Cujo it is!

Well, Thanks Timstar for the delicious Battleheart.  I am only at Part 2, but I am enjoying it a great deal. 

Enjoying it so much you forgot the name of the book!  :blush2:  :giggle2: