Your Book Activity - May 2014

Another vote for Pillars of the Earth, it really hooks you in doesn't it  :smile:

I love Vanity Fair, Becky Sharp is such a great character, hope you enjoy it Frankie  :D

It feels like quite awhile since i last posted so i finished The Slap which i thoroughly enjoyed & then made a start on Midnight's Children  Salman Rushdie for next month's Reading Circle. I've only got about 100 pages left to go, i wont say too much at the moment but i am enjoying it though it's not a quick read as there's a lot to take in  :smile:

I guess I didn't see a Salman Rushdie was picked for June... when is it supposed to be read by?

Glad I'm in such company with Pillars of the Earth (and the Prey book!)

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I didn't see a Salman Rushdie was picked for June... when is it supposed to be read by?

Here's the poll thread. Preferably you ought to read it by the start of June, but if you can't make it, just come by the thread when you've finished the book and join in. Kidsmum will be your designated host :) 

Still going with Vanity Fair. I'm on page 384. When I've finished this one, all subsequent books will seem like introductions of books! 

Are you enjoying the story?

It's weird for me: I'm not fan of the plot, or there doesn't seem to be that much happening, and also I don't really like any of the characters, apart from Dobbin :wub: But still I'm oddly enjoying reading the book. It's my first classic book I'm reading in English since forever, so I'm happy it's going good :)

(I got lazy and copy+pasted what I'd already said to Kidsmum :giggle:)

Sorry, I must have missed that earlier on, thanks :). I'm glad it's going good, classics can be difficult when you read them in a language different than your first language (in my opinion).

Yes, they can be. And sometimes it's also about one thinking it'll be difficult, and then just avoiding classics altogether... Until one takes a plunge and then it's not as difficult as one thought/remembered. But it's definitely slower to read a classic in another language! You have to find the 'rhythm'. 

Edit: Now that I think about it, I can't remember when I've read a classic in Finnish, either... :hide: 

Edited by frankie

I haven't read any English classics in Dutch, but I've read Dutch classics in Dutch. It's not quite the same though as you can't compare different books as easily. Most of the Dutch classics I've read though were written after 1850 (other than three). We had to read them for school and make reports on them and do an oral exam on them.

The English classics intimidate me, particularly after some not-so-easy experiences with them. I read a few for school as well, that went allright.

Got my Paperwhite yesterday....I'm very impressed! I like being able to see the covers, rather than just having it in list format. I'll have a proper play with it once exams are over (2 days and counting!! :readingtwo: ), but so far, so good.

*sigh* I've spent nearly two hours on this darn John Stanford book, Rules of Prey and it seems it will never end.  I'm not even reading Pillars of the Earth this morning just to make some headway in Prey.

Got my Paperwhite yesterday....I'm very impressed! I like being able to see the covers, rather than just having it in list format. I'll have a proper play with it once exams are over (2 days and counting!! :readingtwo: ), but so far, so good.

Wooohooo!!  I hope you love it!  If you have any trouble transferring books, Amazon will totally help- their customer service rocks.

Edited by Anna Begins

I haven't been reading at all since thursday, luckily not because my mojo went missing again but because of lack of time. So I am still reading Glitch and A game of thrones.

I've got a few books for my birthday aswell as giftcards to go bookshopping soon. YAY for the ever growing tbr :rolol:

x

That's exciting :)! Personally I put it back to a list since I find this easier.

I've got a few books for my birthday aswell as giftcards to go bookshopping soon. YAY for the ever growing tbr :rolol:

x

Yay :D!

I've just read a short story by H.P. Lovecraft, Herbert West Reanimator. I've never read anything that old before (1921) so i didnt think i would be able to get into it but i was wrong. Very well written & very atmospheric. Will definitely be reading more of his works!

It's weird for me: I'm not fan of the plot, or there doesn't seem to be that much happening, and also I don't really like any of the characters, apart from Dobbin But still I'm oddly enjoying reading the book. It's my first classic book I'm reading in English since forever, so I'm happy it's going good :)

I'm happy to hear you liked The Slap! I haven't gotten around to it yet but it's one of those books I really want to like And I'm happy you're enjoying the Rushdie book (wouldn't it be awful if you hated it, being the host and having to read the book!) :)

I'd say that Vanity Fair is more about the characters than the plot, Dobbin is definitely the good guy but imo Becky Sharp is the most interesting character although i wouldn't fancy having her as a friend  :o I'm impressed that you picked such a big book as your first English classic & i hope at the end you feel that it was worth the time & effort you've put in reading it  :smile:

I did really enjoy The Slap & after i'd finished reading it i listened to the question & answer session with the author on radio 4 which was really interesting :smile: Your right it would be awful to have to read Rushdie if i hated it especially as it's not a book to read over a few days, there's such a lot to take in  :readingtwo:

Glad to hear you are enjoying Midnight's Children.

In the past, I've started it twice with no luck. 

My sister was the same started it a couple of times but just couldn't get into it. I think it's very much a marmite book  :D

Anytime in June Anna  :smile:

Still going with Vanity Fair. I'm on page 384. When I've finished this one, all subsequent books will seem like introductions of books! 

You'll be able to whizz through your next book after Vanity Fair, Frankie  :D

I seem to be stuck at the 100 page mark with Midnight's Children, hubby's got a week off work so i don't seem to be able to get any reading time in & when i do pick up my book he starts talking to me (sigh!) Need to hang a Do Not Disturb sign round my neck  :doh:

That's exciting :)! Personally I put it back to a list since I find this easier.

Funny you say that, as I've put it back to list view as well. It is easier like that, though I did enjoying seeing the covers. :smile:

I'd say that Vanity Fair is more about the characters than the plot, Dobbin is definitely the good guy but imo Becky Sharp is the most interesting character although i wouldn't fancy having her as a friend  :o I'm impressed that you picked such a big book as your first English classic & i hope at the end you feel that it was worth the time & effort you've put in reading it  :smile:

Yeah, I think I would agree that it's more about the characters. Too bad that I don't like most of them :D I do understand why people find Becky Sharp interesting, and I do understand that it doesn't mean that they actually like her character in that they'd love to have people like that in their lives :D But I just don't find her interesting. And I can't stand

the way she treats poor little Rawdon. :no:

I meant this is my first classic in English in a long time, it's not actually my first ever :) I never would've chosen such a huge log for a first :D You have been falsely impressed by me :blush:

I've come a long way in a few days, I only have about 250 pages left. I wonder if I will miss the book when it's done... But I'm definitely looking forward to reading other books :D 

I finished A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson today.  It was fine, but I felt like I was one step ahead all the time, waiting for the inevitable to happen, and I didn't feel much connection to the characters.

I've now picked up Miss Ranskill Comes Home by Barbara Euphan Todd again, as I started it a while back but sewing got in the way, but now I've got my reading going again, I can settle down to it this weekend.