What's up in April?

Athena

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mugglenot, which part of Virginia are you from or did you live in?

I lived Northwest of Charlottesville. Kinda between Free Union and Earlysville. Our house was in the woods and Buck Mountain Creek was about a mile behind my house. There was nothing but woods between the house and the Blue Ridge mountains. We had bear and deer in our yard almost every day in the spring and summer. A wonderful place to live.

Edited by muggle not

My photos are very misleading. There really are not many trees in our yard, at least not like where we lived in Virginia and were really in the woods with the deer and bear. :)

I cut our 3 hydrangea back severely in late winter. I should not do that as the flower heads will get too big and heavy for the new young branches. Next year I will only cut them back one fourth. See the attached photo as too how much I scalped them. Also attached is a photo of a small dogwood tree in flower.

You'll just have to cut flowers off to bring inside :) Your grove of trees is lovely (what kind of trees are they? ) and maybe it's all for the best you don't have bears anymore, given how up close and personal you used to get! :giggle2:

I love dogwood trees too. This year I bought a Japanese Maple (to replace one we had to pull out because the roots were blocking the septic tank :( Put it in a different place though), a Paper Bark Maple, a Judas Tree and some Hornbeams. They're a little unhappy because we had a very dry summer and I was unable to water them for quite a while. They've lost their leaves, but there's still green under the bark, so hoping they'll be OK.

I've wanted a Paper Bark Maple for years. I'm hoping this is what it will look like when it gets bigger.

post-3715-0-62520800-1397607858_thumb.jpg

Edited by poppy

Muggle- that is simply GORGEOUS!

I get to register for college classes on Monday, but their stupid website online catalogue is so hard to understand, I can't make heads or tails of it.  I called today for assistance, but they are closed for the holiday.  Um... WHAT??  Easter isn't even until Sunday!  And they take off two days before registration?  I can't believe it!

What university?  If it's a Catholic one, or in a really Catholic area, Holy Week celebrations start in earnest today, so that would explain why they're closed.

I'm sorry your having such a frustrating experience.   :(  Why can't they just make it simple?

Nope, just a Jr College, State uni after.  So they don't even have that excuse lol

Exhausted, done in, knackered. I raked leaves for about an hour, moved bricks from inside to outside (about 20 lbs each x 8), swept the entire house, dusted, cleaned a few windows, moved our king sized bed/mattress and headboard out and set up a new headboard. Cleaned the kitchen, did three loads of laundry and did some paperwork. I laid down on the new mattress but was too chilled and achy to take much pleasure in it so I will be taking some pm medication tonight! No need to hit the gym, my work out is done for the day.

Sounds like it!  I'm trying to get up the motivation to clean, but my stomach and back hurt, so I'm alternating between reading and puttering around on here.  I did work all day and do a load each of laundry and dishes when I got home, so at least I'm not completely lazy.  :/

Muggle- that is simply GORGEOUS!

I get to register for college classes on Monday, but their stupid website online catalogue is so hard to understand, I can't make heads or tails of it.  I called today for assistance, but they are closed for the holiday.  Um... WHAT??  Easter isn't even until Sunday!  And they take off two days before registration?  I can't believe it!

Here everything closes on the Friday before Easter.  Nothing is allowed to be open except some petrol stations and a few dairies.  We also have no ads on TV.  Monday is also a public holiday, but shops are allowed to open if they want.  Smaller businesses are usually closed.

Virginia - reading your post made me feel tired.  

I'm trying to get ahead with my study as much as possible.  I'm probably having oral surgery soon, so I want to be ahead before it comes up.

Virginia, that sounds like a very tiring day!

Dtr, I hope you feel better soon.

x

Here everything closes on the Friday before Easter.  Nothing is allowed to be open except some petrol stations and a few dairies.  We also have no ads on TV.  Monday is also a public holiday, but shops are allowed to open if they want.  Smaller businesses are usually closed.

x

Here everything is closed on Sunday and Monday but today (Good Friday) some things are open and many people do have to work (some people do not).

x

I'm trying to get ahead with my study as much as possible.  I'm probably having oral surgery soon, so I want to be ahead before it comes up.

x

Good luck with both your study and the surgery!

EDIT: Does anyone have any plans for Easter? We normally have an Easter brunch with 'stol' and Easter bread (I'll be making it tomorrow).

Edited by Athena

Coran and I don't have any particular plans for Easter - we thought about going to Glastonbury for a few days, but the Chalice Well where we normally stay was booked up, and everywhere else is too expensive. We might go down to Portsmouth for the day tomorrow though, as it looks like a reasonable day, and we haven't been for some time. I feel like a nice day out at the coast and it's only just over an hours drive. Not sure about the rest of the weekend - it depends as much as anything else on the weather. Sunday will probably be the usual trip up to Box Hill for a walk in the absence of most other things being open, and on Monday, we shall have to wait and see - anything that doesn't involve spending much money, as I am not paid until 25th. If all else fails, there is always :readingtwo:

Nasty, wet, cool day here. I've already done my errands for the weekend and don't plan on venturing too far from home. My brother in law, the one who had the massive stroke last Sunday, will be coming home tomorrow. Sadly, hospice will be waiting for him. I've been down to the house to get the bedroom ready for the hospital bed and I sat with my mother in law for a bit. I don't believe in putting people in their graves before time but one thing I've noticed about my in laws. They don't believe in being in hospice. They usually pass on before the first or second visit. Such is life.

No plans here.  We don't do much at Easter.  Most of the country is cleaning up after a cyclone hit Thurs/Fri.  We had one tree come down at our house and alot of branches.  After such strong winds the last two days the wind is completely calm and its kind of eerie.

Is everyone at your house okay?  Hopefully the tree didn't fall on your house!  It really is quite eerie in the aftermath of a big storm.  That's well-put.

We've had a busy week so far preparing for Easter.  On Sunday I think we might have either ham or lamb.  We usually do ham, but I thought it might be fun to try something different.

We're all OK thanks Dtr.  We were more shaken up by the big earthquakes we've had recently.  The tree wasn't near our house so that wasn't at risk.  Took my son for a driving lesson around town today, three days after the wind stopped, and there's tree branches everywhere.  Our winds got up to about 130km/h.  The same storm caused 200km/h+ winds in Queensland, I'd hate to be in that.

We don't do anything for Easter.  We're not religious, and the kids are too old for the Easter Bunny now.  Sometimes I'll give them some money and they go and choose their own chocolate eggs.

Today I will be eating homemade hot cross buns (toasted) for breakfast, reading Timeless by Gail Carriger, appliquéing stars onto my quilt top, avoiding the forecast rain, and generally just enjoying my Sunday.  :smile2:  Hope you all have a lovely day too.

As Easter is boring IMO, I have worked on my essay instead. And just been cozy with the dog. I love that it's finally spring, my absolute favorite season. I love how everything is reborn and the light is back on. 

Is everyone at your house okay?  Hopefully the tree didn't fall on your house!  It really is quite eerie in the aftermath of a big storm.  That's well-put.

We've had a busy week so far preparing for Easter.  On Sunday I think we might have either ham or lamb.  We usually do ham, but I thought it might be fun to try something different.

Which was it, ham or lamb.

We had ham, home baked beans, potato salad, pickled eggs, asparagus, and some wine for dinner.

One of the neighbors had an Easter egg hunt earlier in the week for all the neighbor children.

Enjoyed the holiday.

Neither! We wound up with a stuffed pork roast with mashed potatoes, asparagus, salad and wine, then Boston cream pie for dessert.  Husband wound up preparing everything except the salad, so I can't really complain! :)  We did buy some lamb, but I think we'll have it later this week.

It was perfect weather for a nap, so nap I did!  I just woke up and am debating going back to bed for the night.

Edited by dtrpath27

It was pretty miserable here yesterday with rain on and off - although it wasn't that cold. Coran and I went up the viewpoint in the morning for a coffee and to watch the cyclists and then came home for lunch. We spent the rest of the day zonked out on the settee reading and watching crap on TV. Not sure about today - looking at the sky I suspect it will be more of the same. We might venture out to Polesden Lacey for lunch later on, although they don't do much gluten free - unless you like cake that is - I do, but it's not what I would call a proper meal.

Today and tomorrow are funeral arrangement days. I've got to drive my sister in law around to get a suit, go to the social security office and then drop the suit of at the funeral parlor.

We've got three of the grands today and they have been a bright spot with their overwhelming cuteness. The little lady is now down for a nap, thank you Lord. Hubby is trying to get the two year old down and the son just took the 5 year old to the park.

The house is starting to feel like summer. Its hot as all get out in our living room. I must remember to measure the windows for the bamboo blinds, check the cooling unit and purchase some fans. Its already 80f. As in HOT!!

It's sad when people die too soon.

But I have to confess that in some cases, I think it's better to die than to be a complete vegetable in a hospital bed. My uncle is closing in on that state. He's had MS for years, and not the kind where you can still live a decent life. He can't remember his siblings and he can't walk or even eat by himself anymore. Had it been me, I would have rather died than for it to progess that far, as there is no chance, no hope, for improvement. Just the opposite.

For those that don't read the Sport topics. My granddaughter's finish results at the Boston Marathon. GD finished in the top 3.5% of all female runners (557 out of 16092) in the Boston and in the top 14.33% of all runners (5102 out of 35671). WOO-HOO.