Athena

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, guys!

It sounds like April is in full swing and busy for you all.  It continues to be so here and I'm so sorry I haven't posted in awhile :blush2: 

Those of you talking about planting are making me jealous!  Just a little over a week ago we had about 6 inches of snow here and now luckily it's mostly melted.  Hopefully it won't return but you never know about spring in the upper Midwest!  The ground is still too hard to plant though, but that won't stop us from buying pots of flowers anyway. 

My April started out with me getting a rental car while my car is in the shop waiting to be fixed.  I was part of the horrible GM recall where 12 people have died so far so I told them I didn't feel safe driving until the new parts came in. 

I started dog/house-sitting today and will be here until Wednesday.  I spent the day relaxing and letting the dogs get used to me and tomorrow I'm going for brunch with 2 of my friends.

I hope you all are having a lovely weekend! :D

Now I only hope they don't charge me for both phones     :sarcastic:    .....I'm watching them!  And ready to do battle.  Again.

x

I hope you get the phone fixed, and that you don't have to pay twice. I turn my phone on flight mode at night, because the connection is quite bad in the bedroom and it can sometimes drain the battery constantly trying to get a connection. It depends how much I use my phone during the day how quick the battery goes. If I spend a lot of time with the wifi on browsing emails and apps, then it'll go quite quick, but if I don't use it at all (with wifi turned off) it lasts a lot longer. I hope you get it all fixed!

I started dog/house-sitting today and will be here until Wednesday.  I spent the day relaxing and letting the dogs get used to me and tomorrow I'm going for brunch with 2 of my friends.

x

I hope you have a great weekend too :)!

This morning I went for a walk with the dogs which was very nice (and good exercise). In a month-ish there's another book fair I'm going to and I'm looking forward to it. I'm not allowing myself to buy much books before then, so far it's going well, it's been a few weeks since I bought books.

Unfortunately, we can't cancel our landline.  Reception out here is not totally dependable in an emergency.  So, we keep it for the time being.

Sigh...and that's where they get you, isn't it?

Hey, guys!

It sounds like April is in full swing and busy for you all.  It continues to be so here and I'm so sorry I haven't posted in awhile :blush2: 

Those of you talking about planting are making me jealous!  Just a little over a week ago we had about 6 inches of snow here and now luckily it's mostly melted.  Hopefully it won't return but you never know about spring in the upper Midwest!  The ground is still too hard to plant though, but that won't stop us from buying pots of flowers anyway. 

Early Spring in the Midwest is tough for flower-lovers, isn't it?  You just want to plant, but until after Mother's Day, it just isn't advisable.  It sounds like you live even farther north than I did, though.  Is it even later for you?

This morning I went for a walk with the dogs which was very nice (and good exercise). In a month-ish there's another book fair I'm going to and I'm looking forward to it. I'm not allowing myself to buy much books before then, so far it's going well, it's been a few weeks since I bought books.

Athena, that sounds like a wonderful way to start the day!  

Way to go on your self-control with books as of late.   :) Not an easy thing!  I bet the book sale can't come too soon.

Edited by dtrpath27

Early Spring in the Midwest is tough for flower-lovers, isn't it?  You just want to plant, but until after Mother's Day, it just isn't advisable.  It sounds like you live even farther north than I did, though.  Is it even later for you?

Athena, that sounds like a wonderful way to start the day!  

I'm in Minnesota, dtrpath, and yes, it's tough!  I'm not even going to tell you how late we were getting snow last year, so hopefully it'll be drastically different this year and we can start to enjoy the outdoors consistently very soon here.  Where did you used to live?

Missouri.  There was the loveliest greenhouse nearby where I used to buy all of my plants and such.  The proprietor always chastised me for wanting to buy my annuals on the first nice weekend in April.  Sometimes I won out, but sometimes I came home with a nice houseplant instead.   :)

Edited by dtrpath27

Had a great weekend in Birmingham celebrating my great- nephew's thirteenth birthday. It was full of laughter and great food amongst the 11 of us that attended. Nephew is a fellow Doctor Who fan, so present buying is fun, as I tend buy when I know it is something that I would love to have for myself. :D

Missouri.  There was the loveliest greenhouse nearby where I used to buy all of my plants and such.  The proprietor always chastised me for wanting to buy my annuals on the first nice weekend in April.  Sometimes I won out, but sometimes I came home with a nice houseplant instead.   :)

A couple of my sisters went to college in Mo, dtrpath, so I spent some time there when I was young.  Last summer we did really well with a couple of pots of dipladenias, so we decided to nothing but this summer.  They are such a pretty red and love to climb so I'm trying to figure out if I'm handy enough to make a trellis (sp?) or two.

Sounds like a lovely day out, Chrissy!  How fun when you can give a gift to a fellow fan of Who :D

I had really nice time at brunch today and am slowly winding down and getting ready for the new work week.  I'll be dog/house-sitting until Wednesday and will be working from home on Thurs followed by a wee vacation on Friday.  I'm sure the week will fly by!

Nice to hear everyone in the northern hemisphere is thinking about spring flowers :)

Love the lilacs, butterflies and birds Muggle. Are the yard pictures where you are now or your last place? For some reason I didn't imagine you had a grove of trees like that, where you are now.

Love it!  Lilacs are one of my favorite spring flowers.   :)   When I lived further north, my springtime garden had a lot of hyacinth, peonies and lilacs.  It was so beautifully fragrantThanks

Thanks. I also really love Lilacs. They don't thrive where we now live (too far South) but my three plants are doing reasonably well. We had a cold and long winter which probably helped them this year.

Nice to hear everyone in the northern hemisphere is thinking about spring flowers :)

Love the lilacs, butterflies and birds Muggle. Are the yard pictures where you are now or your last place? For some reason I didn't imagine you had a grove of trees like that, where you are now.

They are from current home. Took the Lilac and Butterfly photos yesterday and the bird photos a month or two ago.

I've been out in a summer dress and T-shirts some days.  The street that I live in has all those ornamental cherry trees along both sides of it.  I get to see all those pink blooms every day now. There will come a time when those petals shake loose then it'll look like pink snow for a while down the street.  Spring and autumn in this street is extremely beautiful.  In Autumn I'd be walking down a golden tree lined street.

They are from current home. Took the Lilac and Butterfly photos yesterday and the bird photos a month or two ago.

Wow Muggle!! I'm so pleased you still have lovely trees in your garden. :) How are your hydrangeas coming along? I've never seen Bluebirds or Red Cardinals except in pictures, their colours are amazing. 

The street that I live in has all those ornamental cherry trees along both sides of it.  I get to see all those pink blooms every day now. There will come a time when those petals shake loose then it'll look like pink snow for a while down the street.  Spring and autumn in this street is extremely beautiful.  In Autumn I'd be walking down a golden tree lined street.

How gorgeous. Cherry blossom trees, I think, are the loveliest of all the flowering spring trees. :)

I have two very large lilac bushes and they just drip for days. I wish they stayed in bloom longer but I'll take comfort in my yellow climbing rosess that just bloomed! Just can't stay out there too long or the bumble bees get a little territorial. They appear to be very big this year.

I'm not sure what is on the agenda for today. Updating my resume, tweeking the budget, reading, walking the dog, a quick workout, and whatever else will depend on the weather outside. I think we are supposed to get some rain today, if that is so, I'll probably stay close to home.

I too, love lilacs.  We had a massive amount in our yard at the house in which I grew up.  They smell wonderful and I was always snipping some off for bouquets in the house.  Such memories :)

I was going to say, Muggle, your back yard looks like northern MN!  I love being surrounded by trees like that.

It's very chilly here today, ugh.  There's rumor of rain and even some of the evil white stuff, too.  I just keep praying for sun!!

My photos are very misleading. There really are not many trees in our yard, at least not like where we lived in Virginia and were really in the woods with the deer and bear. :)

I cut our 3 hydrangea back severely in late winter. I should not do that as the flower heads will get too big and heavy for the new young branches. Next year I will only cut them back one fourth. See the attached photo as too how much I scalped them. Also attached is a photo of a small dogwood tree in flower.