Michelle's Blog July - Dec '07

Michelle

Kate Harrison - The Self Preservation Society

Another fun offering from Kate.. I've found a new favourite author. :)

Stuart MacBride - Cold Granite

I'm not a big fan of crime, but this was a good one.. very gritty.

JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Hmm.. some bits a little slow, others rushed, a little confusing. Despite that, and great finale, which I think will improve with a re-read.. possibly after re-reading the whole series. :)

Samantha Grosser - Another Time and Place

I wasn't sure I'd enjoy this, but Sam proved me wrong! An good read that held my attention.

Carole Matthews - The Chocolate Lovers' Diet

A great follow up, heart-warming and funny.

Have given up trying to update this bit for now! Am simply updating the thread with my reading. :thud:

Unfortunately I don't have anything to list yet. I've hit another of those phases where I just can't get into anything. I pick something up, read a few pages, then next time I'm wanting to read something else. It's weird. It's probably alot to do with the continuous stress etc.. I'm just not in the right state of mind to enjoy a book. :)

I'm now building a collection of books I want to get to! :lol:

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride - nearly finished, pretty good considering I'm not keen on crime books these days

Red Lily by Nora Roberts - from library, enjoyed the 1st one

Karma by Holly A Harvey - need to read soon as it's borrowed

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy - lent to me, looks fun

• 2 weeks later...

Considering I'm not really into crime books these days, Cold Granite was pretty good. I enjoyed the 'down to earth' feel of it.

Then moved onto Harry Potter, which had to be done - a good finale to the series.

Am half way through Skuldruggery Pleasant and The Taken (Sarah Pinborough).

I'm glad you enjoyed Cold Granite - you should try the sequels, as they get even better! I think Macbride is really getting into his stride now. :thud:

Considering I'm not really into crime books these days, Cold Granite was pretty good. I enjoyed the 'down to earth' feel of it.

I'm glad you enjoyed Cold Granite - . :thud:

This has been recommended a few times on here. I think I shall put it on my "to read" list.

• 4 weeks later...

I started reading Red Lily (Nora Roberts), then realised I had jumped from book 1 to book 3! Doh! Popped it back to the library, and ordered book 2, Black Rose. Reading that one at the moment, nice easy read.

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy - this was fun enough, but couldn't hold me. Once I get a few others out of the way, I may get back to it.

Karma - again, I'm having trouble getting really into it, but's that no reflection on Kerri, but my strange reading mood!

Kate Harrison - Old School Ties.. funny book, on hold, definitely needs finishing.

Sam Grosser - Another Time and Place.. great read, a subject I didn't expect to enjoy, but the story held me.

Carole Matthews - The Chocolate Lovers' Diet.. great fun, heart-warming, review coming soon.

I'm now building a collection of books I want to get to! :lol:

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride - nearly finished, pretty good considering I'm not keen on crime books these days

Red Lily by Nora Roberts - from library, enjoyed the 1st one

Karma by Holly A Harvey - need to read soon as it's borrowed

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy - lent to me, looks fun

Is Stuart Macbride similar to Ian rankin? I'm an ian rankin fanatic.

I mean is writing styles in crime books and how they're crafted together.

Is Stuart Macbride similar to Ian rankin? I'm an ian rankin fanatic.

I mean is writing styles in crime books and how they're crafted together.

I've not read any Rankin, but can testify to Macbride being an excellent writer. He has a dark undercurrent of humour running throughout that is almost akin to Christopher Brookmyre (although not quite as obvious). The setting for Macbride's books is Aberdeen as opposed to Brookmyre's predominantly being in Glasgow ans Rankin's being, I think, in Edinburgh.

• 1 month later...

I've not been very good at keping this updated, and have possibly missed some!

I'm working my way through The Stand.. it held me for ages, then I needed a break. Am back to it now.

I've recently also read 'Snow Flower And The Secret Fan', 'The Secret Life of Bees' and the manuscript for 'The Vampire's Kiss', the 3rd book from Raven Hart.

The latter was, once again, great. Raven is building an interesting world of vampires, werewolves, voodoo and Goddesses!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.. I've done a little more of The Stand, but I have to admit it's not holding my attention so much now.

I also read, and really liked, The Mermaid Chair - I do like her style. :lol:

I also finally got round to KW's Savage, her fourth dance romance - I'm still not a big fan of 'romance', but Katherine's style of writing is enough to keep me firmly interested when reading. ;)

Am now reading To Catch A Cheat, a sexy, funny chick lit.

• 2 weeks later...

Started a few pages of Vanish, then realised I hadn't finished Blaze, so got that finished instead.

I then got back to RL Royle's first book, Lucy's Monster, and it's a hard one to put down! I'm about half way through, and I read some pages last night with my mouth wide open.. but then thinking 'wow'. So far I would say that if you like light books, you'll either not like this, or find it rather horrifying. But, if you're looking for something a bit different, that's gripping, and well written, you might want to give it a try. I'm so glad this author contacted me.:welcome:

• 3 weeks later...