Favourite book of the year so far.

JudyB

Well we're halfway through the year and I wondered whether anyone feels that they have read anything this year that stands out for them.

To start the ball rolling I'm going to say that The Book Thief by Markus Zusak stands out for me - a beautiful and very original read.

(It's closely followed by A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini)

Mine has to be The Crimson Petal and The White by Michel Faber, I loved every minute of reading it and didn't want it to end.

Closely followed by Marley & Me by John Grogan

Well, there have only been two 10/10 books for me so far this year, but there have been a few 9/10 books, so here are the best of the bunch so far:

Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgrn - 10/10

The Plucker: An Illustrated Novel by Brom - 10/10

No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong - 9/10

Broken Skin by Stuart MacBride - 9/10

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly - 9/10

The Prestige by Christopher Priest - 9/10

The Thee Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (audio book) - 9/10

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (audio book) - 9/10

On top of that, I've had 19 books I rated 8/10 and 6 audio books rated 8/10.

It's been a pretty good year for books so far - I hope it continues in a similar vein!

My favorite so far this year has been The Book of the Dead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. This is the book I just finished and it was awesome! (Sorry for the vulgar American epithet, but it's the only word that's appropriate for this book!:)) But then, I haven't read the other ones!

I've been having a really good year so far; I've given 10/10 to three books:

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Dracula by Bram Stoker

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Five others have just missed out on top marks :)

Impossible to decide, I think..

Raven Hart - The Vampire's Secret

Carole Matthews - The Chocolate Lovers Club

Kevin Brockmeier - The Brief History of the Dead

Maggie O'Farrell - The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

Kate Harrison - Brown Owl's Guide to Life

Kim Edwards - The Memory Keeper's Daughter

were all excellent.

Tough call.

Picking one favorite of the year, I might change my mind once I've had a muffin since I feel I've read some damn fine stories.

I think I'll pick: The Secret Garden.

It was very well written, had solid characters and was full of charm and surprises. One of the few books that can stand the test of time and not feel dated. Really, the time frame adds to the charm. My goodness, it was a good book!

Well we're halfway through the year and I wondered whether anyone feels that they have read anything this year that stands out for them.

What a great idea for a thread Judy! :) It makes me feel like I can finally find a use for my blog ratings :)

Mine has to be The Crimson Petal and The White by Michel Faber, I loved every minute of reading it and didn't want it to end.

Ooh Jules! You beat me to it! :thud:The Crimson Petal & The White is definitely my favourite of the year so far. To be honest, I can't imagine reading another book that could beat it this year!

Other personal highlights:

One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson

The Girls - Lori Lansens

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon

Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

Disobedience - Naomi Alderman

The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney

Well if its more than one...

The Girls by Lori Lansens

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd x

I was thinking 2007 hadn't been that good for reading, and then went back to my blog to see what I'd actually read this year and it's much more impressive than I'd imagined.

These are now probably in order of how much I loved them (all novels unless I say otherwise), but all these books have been truly, utterly wonderful

1 - War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, if I needed to say

2 - All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Remarque

3 - 1812, Napoleon's fateful march on Moscow by Adam Zamoyski (history)

4 - Dance, Dance, Dance by Haruki Murukami

5 - Disgrace by JM Coetzee

6 - Murder in Samarkand by Craig Murray (politics)

There have only been 2 books I gave full marks to so far and they are Kevin Brockmeier ~ The Brief History Of The Dead (5/5) and John Grogan ~ Marley and Me (5/5)

Many have almost hit the mark but these were definately the best reads of the year os far.

There have only been 2 books I gave full marks to so far and they are Kevin Brockmeier ~ The Brief History Of The Dead (5/5) and John Grogan ~ Marley and Me (5/5)

Many have almost hit the mark but these were definately the best reads of the year os far.

I have both of these on my tbr. Being the owner of a crazy Labrador myself, I reckon Marley and Me might strike a chord!

My favourite book of the year so far, is probably Girl With A Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier. I've read quite a few good books this year, but I think that's my favourite at the moment.

I have both of these on my tbr. Being the owner of a crazy Labrador myself, I reckon Marley and Me might strike a chord!

[____] Here's a box of tissues Ruth for when you get round to reading Marley & Me :thud: If your a dog lover you'll need them!