The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic Mr Fox .. what a brilliant film :) I love what they did with Roald's story. Really off the wall but still staying true to the main plot. Very clever. Earlier on I saw The Ladykillers .. probably for the hundredth time .. love it though :D

Fantastic Mr Fox .. what a brilliant film :) I love what they did with Roald's story. Really off the wall but still staying true to the main plot. Very clever. Earlier on I saw The Ladykillers .. probably for the hundredth time .. love it though :D

Is that the original  The Ladykillers Kay?  Yes Fantastic Mr Fox is great.

It was sci-fi night at Raven Towers last night, with two films featuring angst-ridden women.

Gravity

Sandra Bullock has the mother of all bad days in a space film clearly written by someone who has never seen how long the NASA procedures are for tuning on light bulbs, let alone de-orbiting a heavily damaged capsule . . .

Okay, so suspension of disbelief is probably key to enjoying this - especially if you have any knowledge of how slow things actually happen in space - and I guess it also loses something watching it on a small screen, but I must admit I'm kind of struggling to see what all the fuss is about.  It's not a bad film, Clooney and Bullock put in solid performances and it all looks very pretty, but for me it was largely a case of style over substance. 

Another Earth

Another woman having a bad time of it! 

On the day a duplicate Earth appears in the sky, a young girl gets drunk and crashes her car killing a young boy and his pregnant mother.  Four years later, as Earth 2 comes within range of Earth (well, 1, I guess), the young girl is released from prison and starts trying to piece her life back together.  Could the duplicate Earth offer her a second chance?

This is quite a low key film, especially following Gravity.  It is also not an entirely comfortable film to watch, but it is well acted and quite thought provoking. 

Of the two, I'd say Another Earth has the better story and Gravity has Sandra Bullock's legs.

Yesterday we watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, which was quite entertaining :).

@ Raven

Interesting reviews. I haven't seen either of them (yet?) so I couldn't comment but it's great to read what you thought of them :).

It was sci-fi night at Raven Towers last night, with two films featuring angst-ridden women.

I really enjoyed Gravity. Maybe it did help to see it on the big screen. I agree about the suspension of disbelief, but a lot of astronauts/experts apparently approved for the most part about technical details and whatnot.

I've been wanting to see Another Earth since I saw a trailer for it before it came out. It certainly flew under the radar at the time - I thought I was the only one who had even heard of it. :)