JackM Science Fiction 2014

dex

A Scanner Darkly - Pkd 217 Pages 23rd,24th,29th-31st

Substance D - Otherwise known as Death - is the most dangerous drug ever to find it's way onto the black market. it destroys the links between the brain's two hemispheres, leading first to disorientation and then to complete and irreversible brain damage. Bob Arctor, undercover narcotics agent, is trying to find a lead to the source of supply, but to pass as an addict he must become a user...

I've started it, but I think it's going to be a hard read.

As I had watched the film of this book, I knew that I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as some of the other books. I had to take a break from reading it because the differing perspectives gave me a headache. 

Edited by dex

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Ghost Brigades - John Scalzi 346 Pages 25th-28th
Oldman's War 2

They are the special wing of the Colonial Defence Forces, elite troops created from DNA of the dead and turned into the perfect soldiers for the CDF's toughest operations. The universe is a dangerous place for humanity as three hostile races combine to halt our further expansion into space. Their linchpin is a turncoat scientist, Charles Boutin, who unfortunately knows CDF's biggest military secrets. And to prevail against the alliance they must find out why Boutin did what he did.

Jared Dirac is meant to provide answers, a superhuman hybrid created from Boutin's DNA so as to access his electronically recorded memories. But when this attempt seems to fail, Jared is sent to the Ghost Brigades. As Jared fights for his own survival, Boutin's memories begin to surface, and with them a plan for something much worse than mankind's military defeat.

Will Jared's new memories be enough to save humanity? And will they be enough to save himself?

I'll finish this one today and go back to A Scanner Darkly.

I finished this on the 28th and found that it was an enjoyble read.
I've ordered the next two in the series.

Edited by dex

February

The Last Colony - John Scalzi 324 Pages 31st January - 4th February

John Perry has at last found peace in a violent universe, living quietly with his wife and daughter in one of humanity's many colonies. It's a good life, yet there is something strangely missing. When John and Jane are asked to lead a new colony world, he jumps at the chance to explore the universe once more.

But Perry soon finds out that nothing is what it seems. He and his new colony are merely pawns in an interstellar game of war and diplomacy between humanity's Colonial Union and a new, seemingly unstoppable alien alliance that has decreed an end to all human colonisation.

As the contest rages above, Perry struggles to keep his terrified colonists alive in the face of threats, both alien and familiar, on a planet yet to reveal it's own fatal secrets.

For their survival, he must now unravel the web of lies and half-truths spun around him - to prevent an all-engulfing war that threatens to make his followers the last colony of the human race.

So far I'm enjoying this book, If I'd read a bit more about Zoe's Tale, I probably wouldn't have bought it and would have left this as a trilogy. I won't try The Human Division.

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

The Kraken Wakes - John Wyndham, 240 Pages 11th-16th

Below the thunders of the upper deep;

Far, far beneath the abysmal sea,

His ancient dreamless, uninvaded sleep,

The Kraken sleepeth'

The almost imperceptible beginnings and cruelly terrifying consequences of this new threat to the world are seen through the eyes of a radio scriptwriter and his wife.

I'm not sure about this book at the moment, I'm finding it a hard read. There seems to be a lot happening, but not much being done about it.

I thought it had a similar plot to The Worlds by H.G. Wells, but I enjoyed Wotw more.

There was little mention of a formulated response to the attack and when it finally arrived, it was too late.

Edited by dex

• 3 weeks later...

Flowers For Algernon - Daniel Keyes, 216 Pages, P.132 4th,5th.19th P.162 20th Finished

Charlie Gordon, IQ 68, is a floor sweeper, and the gentle butt of everyone's jokes, until an experiment in the enhancement of human intelligence turns him into a genius. But then Algernon, the mouse whose triumphal experimental transformstion preceded his, fades and dies, and Charlie has to face the possibilty that his salvation was only temporary.

It's no more weird than pkd.
Having said that, I've got the palmer eldritch headache.

Edited by dex

I'm not sure what to try to start for the weekend?

FFA is going back onto my tbr, for the rest of the week anyway.

Does anyone know whether foundation or a clockwork orange will be an easier read.

?

Readathon Plans

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

Foundation - Isaac Asimov

Edited by dex

I'm not sure what you mean by overpowering, but I have to say that that is one great book! It deals with some horrific things but what a powerful read.

Languagewise, there will be a lot of made up words, but you'll soon get the hang of them. :)

I don't know whether it's the perspective or the style of Flowers For Algernon, that have made it a hard read for me. I'll try and finish it next week.

I've got about 30 pages left and all I can say is, May you Read in interesting times.

Edited by dex

Ubik - Philip K. Dick 208 pages, 12th - 14th

A bit after the event, but . . .

I read Ubik a number of years ago, and although I enjoyed it at the time I still have no real idea what it was all about!

Generally, though, I don't get on with Phil Dick; I've found reading his books to be a lot of hard work for very little return.  Some interesting ideas, but opaque exposition.

I also found it confusing, I was never sure what was going on. The book had a split reality, but Overall I enjoyed it.

I don't know whether it's the perspective or the style of Flowers For Algernon, that have made it a hard read for me. I'll try and finish it next week.

Yep, it wasn't all too straightforward was it. Better luck with Clockwork Orange! :)

Readathon

A Clockwork Orange -Anthony Burgess, 149 Pages.

In this nightmare vision of a not-too distant future, fifteen year old Alex and his three friends rob, rape, torture and murder - for fun. Alex is jailed for his viscous crimes and the state undertakes to reform him - but how and at what cost?

I have seen the film.

Friday

50 mins P.22

15 mins P.30

30 mins P.39

15 mins P.47

Saturday

1 hr P.68

1 hr P.88

1 hr P.108

1 1/2 P.149

Finished 3 pm sat

Edited by dex

Readathon

Foundation - Isaac Asimov

34, 56, 100, 150, 197, 234

The time is a future century, in the days of the Galactic Empire - a society of a million worlds throughout the Milky Way. The Old Empire is crumbling into barbarism and Hari Seldon and his band of psychologists see before them only the despair of thousands of years of anarchy, unless they can create a new force - the Foundation - dedicated to art, science and technology - the nucleus of a new empire.

1hr to 56

1hr to 100

1hr to 150

1hr to 197

52 mins to 234

Edited by dex

Readathon

Foundation and Empire - Isaac Asimov, 240 Pages 9th -12th

2hrs 35 mins

45,82, 108

The story takes us into the holocaust of galactic conflict where, among a million worlds, two mighty movements clash over the destiny of the universe... grappling for control amid the chaos of the stars - and only one can survive...

Edited by dex

I Was in waterstones MH yesterday, They had a display of Masterworks and Hugo winners.

I was tempted,but wasn't sure how many were first person?

Second Foundation - Isaac Asimov , 187 Pages 12th -

P.40, P.74, P.111 P.164

The old First Empire lies shattered in it's decadence. It has been swept from the Milky Way's bright spiral by the inexorably expanding forces of the First Foundation, established by pschohistorian Hari Seldon - the only man to have foreseen the shifting patterns of the inhabited cosmos.

But not even Seldon could have predicted the mutant menace of the Mule - a being of terrifying supernormal powers who, in his search for the Second Foundation, the mysterious hidden guardians of Seldon's plan, precipitates a savage power struggle that lays waste whole star systems.

Edited by dex

The foundation series is a collection of stories, based around a central core. Asimov travels through centuries of Time and dips into events like a researcher.

I enjoyed them, they were quick reads. I'm not going to bother with any other Prequels or Sequels.

Edited by dex

I've just bought the Dune trilogy for 4.34. I Will probably have to collect it, so 21st onwards.

Edited by dex

I've got a sort of plan to read the sci-fi mw's. I found the trilogy for 4.34, but it will probably arrive from the 21st onwards

22nd - 30th

1. Did you like the book? What was it that you enjoyed? If you didn't like the book, what were your reasons for disliking it?

I enjoyed the book overall, the middle section lacked pace, but it picked up by the end. I enjoyed the Politics and plots between the different houses.

I also thought the World building was good.

5. Was there a particular part you enjoyed more than the rest?

The First part Dune is better, the Mua'd Dib part lacks pace for me. The Prophet was as good as Dune.

6. Was this the first book you've read in this genre / by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

This is the first frank Herbert book I've read. I'm on a general kick to read more sci-fi this year. It hasn't discouraged me.

7. Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

No

8. Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

Yes,

9. Would you recommend the book and if so to whom?

I'd recommend it to someone who wants to read a good sci-fi story.

10. Will you read the sequels/prequels?

I've bought the dune trilogy, so I plan to read the 2 sequels, but I'll have to wait and see.Dune - Frank Herbert, 406 Pages 22nd - P.56, P.156, P.173 Muad'Dib, Page 204, 50% through Dune. P.250 P.365 Finished

post-8563-0-36951200-1395485846_thumb.jpg

I enjoyed it.

Edited by dex