pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

Ah, Pontalba,

Another one of your tempting mini-reviews. :)  I suppose you'll be handing it across to me soon with a strong urging.  You read twice as fast as I do and it is hard to keep up.  j/k  I will be glad to see it when you are done -- at least to add it to my pile. :)

Mwah! :empathy:

Yup, and yup! :kissing:

Not twice. :P  :giggle2:

Awww.. I love the relationship you two have, so sweet :)! My boyfriend isn't much of a reader, sometimes I wish he was more of one. But he's great the way he is, though :wub:.

:wub:    Thanks.   

He is great for you, Gaia.  That's what counts.  I think y'all have a great relationship.  :friends3:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww.. I love the relationship you two have, so sweet :)! My boyfriend isn't much of a reader, sometimes I wish he was more of one. But he's great the way he is, though :wub:.

I wish the same too! My boyfriend reads but he has been on the same book this whole year, and it's not even long! :giggle2:

I wish the same too! My boyfriend reads but he has been on the same book this whole year, and it's not even long! :giggle2:

Ya never know what will happen in life. I was not terribly short of senior citizen status when we met. :D

I've finished Malice...review to follow. Have started When We Were Orphans by Ishiguro.

Malice by Keigo Higashino  4-5/5

Aptly named, this convoluted, twisted murder mystery isn't, finally, about the who, but about the why. The name could have been "Much Malice Aforethought" and been even more appropriate. Almost unbelievable, but all too believable in the end.

Why would former childhood friends, fellow authors have such an ending to their relationship. Does it involve "sex, money and rock and roll", or is the reasoning much deeper, more elemental?

I don't want to commit spoilers, so that's all I'll say. A very dark offering by Mr. Higashino.

Four stars for construction, but actually five stars for the feeling of dread that follows the reading of the novel. Very difficult to shake off.

When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro  5/5

To live a life that counts, to accomplish what others have been unable to manage. Our protagonist, Christopher Banks, lives his first 9 years in a kind of golden glow. When both parents, over the course of a few months, disappear from the International Settlement in Shanghai he is returned to England.

Later in life he makes a success of himself, but yearns to solve the mystery of his Mother and Father's (assumed) kidnapping. Do they still live? What really happened to them? His memories become more and more unreal to him as he struggles to find the truth. Nothing and no one is what they appear to be, each has their own agenda. And reasons for either helping or hindering Christopher's search.

Ishiguro entwines the political situation of pre-war Shanghai with Christopher's search, giving it a surreal air that shows the reader, at least the fallout of that time. Friends become foes, and enemies are not what they seem.

Another enigmatic entry by Ishiguro.
Well worth the read.

Oddly this is the second time I've tried it.  Threw in the towel the first time....Hah!  :roll:  :D

It's great that you gave the book a second chance and it turned out to be so good! Great review :).

It's funny.  I've done that several times in the past.  Two off the top of my head are The Untouchable by John Banville, a spy story...actually a fictional take on the real Kim Philby story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Philby     

The other is Paul Auster's New York Trilogy.  That one is just a mind blower! But in a good way. :D  I gave up early on  with both of them, went back later and loved them.  I suppose I'm just "book-moody".

Well, we had coupons, don't you see?  It was a necessity.  I mean, really, one can't just let good coupons go to waste, right?? :angel_not:

Barnes & Noble purchases, on sale, and with coupons. :angel_not:

The Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne w/ Foreword by Christopher Nolan (!)

Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews (Edgar Award Winner for Best First Novel)

The Abominable by Dan Simmons

The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom

The Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne w/ Foreword by Christopher Nolan (!)

Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews (Edgar Award Winner for Best First Novel)

The Abominable by Dan Simmons

The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

Thanks, Gaia.  I've actually started The Abominable.

You certainly don't want to be wasteful! Think of all those poor people who have no Barnes & Noble coupons.

Absolutely. Waste not want not!

:D:readingtwo:

Aww, sweet !  :D

Alos, congrats on giving needy books a new home.  ;)

Heh.  Yes, one must do one's part.  /clearing throat noisily/  :lurker:

This is the current TBR stack next to the sofa.....

315oaqe.jpg

I was just pulling the page down, then down some more, and still those books kept coming.  :giggle:

Ooh, ooh, I looked at getting a Lockridge book recently - The Norths meet Murder. Are they any good ?  :smile:

The Dershowitz book looks good too ; I don`t know if you saw the Simon Schama series on Jewish history over there ? Fascinating. I also liked a PBS programme about Jewish people in the Southern US, no clue what it was called.  :smile:

I was just pulling the page down, then down some more, and still those books kept coming.  :giggle:

Ooh, ooh, I looked at getting a Lockridge book recently - The Norths meet Murder. Are they any good ?  :smile:

The Dershowitz book looks good too ; I don`t know if you saw the Simon Schama series on Jewish history over there ? Fascinating. I also liked a PBS programme about Jewish people in the Southern US, no clue what it was called.  :smile:

Charles just read the Dershowitz book and liked it, haven't seen the docs you mention though. I'll look it up on Amazon, sounds good.

This is my first Lockridge....picked it up at an Estate Sale, I think.

Great photo, I love seeing photos of books :)! That's quite a big stack, I hope you enjoy your books :). It seems a varied pile though I spot several books about Rome, is that a particular interest of yours?

It is, ever since I was a teenager. :). I took an Ancient History course and fell in love. Marcus Tullius Cicero is my ultimate hero. /blushing/

The pile does change, and is not "written in stone". Heh.

It is, ever since I was a teenager. :). I took an Ancient History course and fell in love. Marcus Tullius Cicero is my ultimate hero. /blushing/

The pile does change, and is not "written in stone". Heh.

That's so nice! I had Latin (and Greek) in secondary school, as well as a classical arts course. I don't remember everything I learned but I always found all three of the courses very interesting :).

That makes sense, sometimes one just feels like reading something different that isn't on the pile, or you find something in a shop.. :D.

Wow that's a pile of heavy reading... :o

Oh, only 15 pounds or so....... :P  :giggle:

That's so nice! I had Latin (and Greek) in secondary school, as well as a classical arts course. I don't remember everything I learned but I always found all three of the courses very interesting :).

That makes sense, sometimes one just feels like reading something different that isn't on the pile, or you find something in a shop.. :D.

It's funny how much of that info dump sticks though.  It pops out at the oddest times. :D

:giggle:

Kate - I recall ( dimly ) talking about Robert B Parker with you, I think -  The first of his Jesse Stone series is free on Kindle ( US and UK ) - click - not as good imo as his Spenser books, but a fun read.  :smile:

I went and looked yesterday, Sarah, and it wasn't on anymore.  But thanks for the heads up, maybe I was just too late.  :(