pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

Hah!  Great idea.  Have you seen the two covers of David Mitchell's book? 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bone-Clocks-A-Novel/dp/1400065674/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409294218&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Bone+Clocks  and the UK one..... http://www.amazon.com/The-Bone-Clocks-David-Mitchell/dp/1471273210/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409294218&sr=8-3&keywords=The+Bone+Clocks  The latter is the audio version, but that's what the UK cover looks like, as far as I can tell.  I'm waiting for the price to go down. 

I saw an excerpt the other day from The Bone Clocks.....if I find it again, I'll post it.  But I loved it!

Ooh, those are different :D  ; I`ve not read anything of his work( I read a review for the Bone Clocks last weekend - it sounds like something I`d like - though the reviewer didn`t like it ). 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, your poor cat :(. I hope all of them feel better soon.

They are, thanks Gaia. :)  In fact, the little devilcake caught a teeny mouse night before last, so she is hunting again. lol

I wish vets here would come out and do the immunisations - one of ours gets soooo traumatised if we try to take her. :(

We are very fortunate, I've known and used this vet for almost 20 years, and he is a doll.  Interestingly enough, his daughter has followed him into his practice, and is a gem herself.  So, the Next Generation is fixed! :)

Your poor kitty ! I hope she makes a quick recovery.  :friends3:

Xiao-Xiao had antibiotic capsules - they were easy to twist open and mix the powder into her food.  :smile:

She is about normal now, but the pills must continue for another week.  They are crushable, I could put them in her food, but she wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole if I did!  Canny little thing, she is.  :cool:

Ooh, those are different :D  ; I`ve not read anything of his work( I read a review for the Bone Clocks last weekend - it sounds like something I`d like - though the reviewer didn`t like it ). 

You know, just the other day, after I'd posted above I saw a review and I'm not so sure I'd like it now.  I'm wondering if it is to "magic realism" for my taste.  Drat.  I'll wait for a cheap second hand copy I suppose.  I think I'd love some sections, and not others.

Kate, how far is it to your vets ? Mine is 5 mins, and it feels like half an hour. ;)  

It is a little over 20 minutes away, in light traffic.  About 14 miles.  If it is the time the schools let out it takes at least a half hour though. 

I'm wondering if it is to "magic realism" for my taste.  Drat.  I'll wait for a cheap second hand copy I suppose.  I think I'd love some sections, and not others.

Interesting, I did not know the term!  I rejected The Bone Clocks for that reason.  In fact, it turned me off so, I reconsidered reading Cloud Atlas out of fear!  :hide:

They are, thanks Gaia. :)  In fact, the little devilcake caught a teeny mouse night before last, so she is hunting again. lol

Hurrray ! Though.... not so good for the mouse.  ;)

She is about normal now, but the pills must continue for another week.  They are crushable, I could put them in her food, but she wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole if I did!  Canny little thing, she is.   :cool:

Xiao-Xiao will eat anything ; normally, she`s pushing your hand out of the way to get at her bowl, whilst you`re busy squeezing the Felix into the num-num bowl. I suppose she`s never got over being a homeless kitty.

You know, just the other day, after I'd posted above I saw a review and I'm not so sure I'd like it now.  I'm wondering if it is to "magic realism" for my taste.  Drat.  I'll wait for a cheap second hand copy I suppose.  I think I'd love some sections, and not others.

Ditto - I have a vast wish list of ` wait till I see a second hand copy`.  ;)

It is a little over 20 minutes away, in light traffic.  About 14 miles.  If it is the time the schools let out it takes at least a half hour though. 

That`s a long time to listen to crying from the back seat ! 

It is, too bloody long, I can tell you!  Although oddly enough this particular cat, the black one Twinkletoes named so on account of her occasional white toes, was quiet the whole way in.  Not a peep out of her.  She was a really teeny kitten when someone dumped her here, and was absolutely terrified of everything, truly feral.  I had a terrible time catching her.  If I'd lock eyes with her, she'd disappear in an instant.  I was finally able to trap her, but still couldn't get close to her for several months.  Now she is pretty much a lap cat.  :D

So, the antibiotics are going in, and I think she finally realizes I am implacable. heh

Most cats scream the entire ride.  Oy.  :doh:

Saw in the I, Claudius thread you were interested in Livia, there is a new historical fiction book out about her called I Am Livia, don't know if you've seen it before, it just came out in May.

http://smile.amazon.com/Am-Livia-Phyllis-T-Smith-ebook/dp/B00EZCY0LO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1409664660&sr=1-1&keywords=i+am+livia

Edit: It is first person!

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm so glad you take good care of her :). She must have been so scared.

She was.  I was lucky to be able to get her, really. 

Saw in the I, Claudius thread you were interested in Livia, there is a new historical fiction book out about her called I Am Livia, don't know if you've seen it before, it just came out in May.

http://smile.amazon.com/Am-Livia-Phyllis-T-Smith-ebook/dp/B00EZCY0LO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1409664660&sr=1-1&keywords=i+am+livia

Edit: It is first person!

I have.  Read it last April....review, .........  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12437-pontalbas-2014-reading-list/page-14

I liked it, but didn't love it.  I think I must have gotten it through an Amazon preview sort of thing, in fact it was probably one of the free ones I've gotten from Amazon Prime.  They send me a choice of 4 ebooks every month for being a Prime Member. 

The book I was thinking of over on the I, Claudius thread was this one...non-fiction.  http://www.amazon.com/Livia-First-Lady-Imperial-Rome/dp/0300102984/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409713137&sr=1-2&keywords=Livia  I read it last October, my review, here.  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11186-pontalbas-2013-reading-list/page-22

I know, I love first person!  I know a lot of people don't though.

She was.  I was lucky to be able to get her, really. 

I have.  Read it last April....review, .........  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12437-pontalbas-2014-reading-list/page-14

I liked it, but didn't love it.  I think I must have gotten it through an Amazon preview sort of thing, in fact it was probably one of the free ones I've gotten from Amazon Prime.  They send me a choice of 4 ebooks every month for being a Prime Member. 

The book I was thinking of over on the I, Claudius thread was this one...non-fiction.  http://www.amazon.com/Livia-First-Lady-Imperial-Rome/dp/0300102984/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409713137&sr=1-2&keywords=Livia  I read it last October, my review, here.  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11186-pontalbas-2013-reading-list/page-22

Oh cool review- I will probably read I am Livia, as I like historical fiction a lot- and first person :smile: It sounds like you liked it better than First Lady of Imperial Rome?  I was interested in your Under the Dome review too, I've heard mixed things, about the book and the show, but I like the premise, so that's gotta be on my list too.

When I was a child I couldn't read any books in first person, because I thought it meant that I was doing these things and I wasn't so it didn't make sense to me and really annoyed me :blush2: (like, I couldn't even read past page 1). As the years passed I learned and eventually got over it and am now able to read books in first person. I much prefer third person over first, but at least I can read the books now without annoyances :). It's weird but I think has something to do with my autism. Whenever I was singing along to a song (I used to do that more when I was a child) I could never sing certain lyrics either, particularly ones related to death or things I didn't agree with or didn't mean. I was worried if I sang them out loud, that I would die (for example) :blush2:.

Gave into temptation as 40% off was just right for the newest Haruki Murakami, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, and His Years of Pilgrimage.  The book is adorable, physically itself.  Murakami always has the most interesting covers and this is no exception.  Cutouts, of course.  But the decoration on actual boards of the cover is wonderful.  It's the metro system, possibly of Tokyo.....I can't find a definite answer to the precise location.  Must be, though.

How do they give 40% off for such new books :o But that's great for you! :D I hope the contents of the book and the story is just as delightful as the physical book itself :)

Very sorry to hear about your cat's troubles  :empathy:  I hope she's on the mend now and getting better and stronger!

I love first person, too! I guess I've never thought about someone not liking the first person narrative. I wonder if we have a thread on this, it would be interesting to read what people think about different narratives. I'm sure there's a thread or two. 

I love first person, too! I guess I've never thought about someone not liking the first person narrative. I wonder if we have a thread on this, it would be interesting to read what people think about different narratives. I'm sure there's a thread or two.

I thought there was a thread on it but I can't seem to find it using the search, at the moment.

Oh cool review- I will probably read I am Livia, as I like historical fiction a lot- and first person  It sounds like you liked it better than First Lady of Imperial Rome?  I was interested in your Under the Dome review too, I've heard mixed things, about the book and the show, but I like the premise, so that's gotta be on my list too.

Thanks, Anna. :)  I thought the non-fiction one on Livia was a bit dry, and as it turned out, about a third of the book consisted of end notes.  Interesting, but.....oy.  :) 

Re Under the Dome...I really did enjoy it, but I've read that the TV series is different, and not very good.  It seems that those that liked the book, dislike the series.  Which fits, IMO. :)  lol  so I guess I won't be getting the TV series.  heh.

When I was a child I couldn't read any books in first person, because I thought it meant that I was doing these things and I wasn't so it didn't make sense to me and really annoyed me :blush2: (like, I couldn't even read past page 1). As the years passed I learned and eventually got over it and am now able to read books in first person. I much prefer third person over first, but at least I can read the books now without annoyances . It's weird but I think has something to do with my autism. Whenever I was singing along to a song (I used to do that more when I was a child) I could never sing certain lyrics either, particularly ones related to death or things I didn't agree with or didn't mean. I was worried if I sang them out loud, that I would die (for example) :blush2:.

I think that is a logical view for a child to hold.  And as far as singing lyrics that one doesn't agree with, at least to some extent, makes sense as well.  I'm not saying that we have to agree and support all songs we sing, but if they go against the grain (so to speak) why would we sing them?  I know it's not as cut and dried as that, but that is a basis I think. 

How do they give 40% off for such new books :o But that's great for you! :D I hope the contents of the book and the story is just as delightful as the physical book itself :)

Very sorry to hear about your cat's troubles  :empathy:  I hope she's on the mend now and getting better and stronger!

Ahh, the book was 30% off to begin with, then another 10% for Members.  We have a Member Card with Barnes & Noble.  So, anything we buy at B&N is automatically at least 10% off to begin with.

Twinkletoes is fine now, and has even gotten used to getting the pill.  Thanks. :)

Glad you found the thread, I'll go and take a look now.

*keep getting this....... "You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message."

Am eliminating.......drat!! 

Ahh, the book was 30% off to begin with, then another 10% for Members.  We have a Member Card with Barnes & Noble.  So, anything we buy at B&N is automatically at least 10% off to begin with.

Wow, not a bad thing to be a member, no sirree! :D

Twinkletoes is fine now, and has even gotten used to getting the pill.  Thanks. :)

I'm very happy to hear that, it must be a huge weight off your shoulders (or rather, your heart) :smile2:

*keep getting this....... "You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message."

Am eliminating.......drat!!

We are such an emotional bunch :rolleyes::D

Thanks, Anna. :)  I thought the non-fiction one on Livia was a bit dry, and as it turned out, about a third of the book consisted of end notes.  Interesting, but.....oy.  :)

Re Under the Dome...I really did enjoy it, but I've read that the TV series is different, and not very good.  It seems that those that liked the book, dislike the series.  Which fits, IMO. :)  lol  so I guess I won't be getting the TV series.  heh.

We have a Member Card with Barnes & Noble.  So, anything we buy at B&N is automatically at least 10% off to begin with.

I've seen the first episode of season one and it was really good- but that's the one King had a hand in, I think he even wrote it.  I have been recording season 2 on my DVR as it just came back on after, like, a year break.  I'd give epoisode 2 a try, just to see.  I thought I'd keep season 2 recorded just in case I like season 1.  I am rambling :blush2:

Can you download B&N books on a Kindle?  Or do you have a nook too?

As far as I know, B&N books cannot be downloaded to the Kindle. 

No, I don't have a Nook, but have a Nook app on my iPad.  I haven't seen anything that I can't get at the same or cheaper price on Amazon though. 

Have you investigated Book Bub?  I subscribe to their newsletter and have gotten some good deals like that.  You can go to their site and choose which genre you are interested in and they'll send various selections from whoever you choose. 

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Claudius the God, the sequel to I, Claudius.  It picks up exactly where the first one left off, but digresses for about 50-odd pages into a description of King Herod Agrippa.  Lovely background information.  Interesting fellow.  And, in this, the second book, he gives the "Roman" view of Jesus and His followers.  Interesting  to see it from the contemporaneous view. 

I've finished both I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves.  Both rereads, the former for our Book Discussion of this month.  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12956-i-claudius-by-robert-graves-september-2014-reading-circle/#entry404896

Graves certainly knew how to research, and use the research in a wonderful manner.  In the second book, the battles do become a bit tedious, but this is the (at least) third reading for me, so I may be excused for skimming them a bit this time. :)  I love Graves attention to detail, and motivation of the characters.  And, I haven't found, in my other reading, any discrepancies of fact as far as events and personages are involved. 

Claudius was a reluctant Emperor.  He only wanted to restore the Republic, but he saw finally, that it was not feasible given the circumstances surrounding him.  He was certainly a survivor. 

These books also have managed to restore me to reading.  The first 7 months of the year, I read at a rapid rate, fell off in August, and have begun to come back.

So, that's a good thing. :)

Edited by pontalba