pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

These books also have managed to restore me to reading.  The first 7 months of the year, I read at a rapid rate, fell off in August, and have begun to come back.

So, that's a good thing. :)

Ugh- I did the same thing!  My drop off came in July though,  I'm still trying to get out of It, I'm doing better.  I think I need a few "easy" reads next, most of those books Juy- now have been a tad hard- like Fountainhead, Elie Wiesel's memoirs, etc.

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a copy of I, Claudius, bought as a secondhand copy off the Joensuu library, some time ago. I've sometimes regretted giving the copy away because I never got around to reading it. :( I suppose you would recommend I read it at some point? :D

Aww, that's a shame. :(

Definitely! :D

I'm glad to hear this :).

Thanks, Athena. :)

Ugh- I did the same thing!  My drop off came in July though,  I'm still trying to get out of It, I'm doing better.  I think I need a few "easy" reads next, most of those books Juy- now have been a tad hard- like Fountainhead, Elie Wiesel's memoirs, etc.

Oy.  I read The Fountainhead, oh I guess must be at least 40-ish years ago.  Hardly remember anything of it.  :blush2:   Probably should reread at some point.......

Sparrow Migrations by Cari Noga 4/5

At first I thought this was a real life, true story of the people involved in the 2009 incident where an airline pilot, of necessity, landed his just taken off plane in the Hudson River in New York.  The way the author first presented was very factual and true to life.  As I read along though, I realized it was a fictional take on the people.  Noga begins with a 12 year old boy on one of the ferry's on the river, closest to the downed plane.  We finally realize the boy is a high functioning austic and his reactions to the situation form the basis of the book. 

The story is told from several points of view, shifting rapidly from one to the next.  Stories of people both on the plane and the ferry finally, sometimes obliquely, cross in varying ways.  But the incident serves as both a crossroads and culmination of private situations of these people. 

Noga's chapters are short and very to the point.  Crisply and well done.

Added in Edit:  This is the plane landing the book is based on..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

Recommended.

Tunnel Vision by Aric Davis 4/5

An interesting detective story investigating a 15 year old murder.  The investigation is conducted by a pair of 16 year girls that meet another teenage boy that is rather Mike Hammer(ish), and has a past of his own to overcome.  This is second in a series, and I missed the first one so there are some gaps in my knowledge of the boy.  I say boy, but in spite of his age, he is already a man with more of the problems than most people have to deal with in their lives.  Briefly, he is a survivor. 

There are several plot lines, and the variety keeps it interesting, and the pace is fast.  Some rawness of the "language" and situations were a bit surprising to me, but were not out of line, I think.

Young Adult is getting more and more adult.  It ain't Nancy Drew by a long shot, but it was well done.

Edited by pontalba

Oy.  I read The Fountainhead, oh I guess must be at least 40-ish years ago.  Hardly remember anything of it.  :blush2:   Probably should reread at some point.......

NO, really, don't lol Atlas Shrugged was SO much better.  Just google Objectivism  and your good to go :giggle2:

Also, re: our discussion about early warnings for earthquakes, you asked if there was such a system.  So far, I have learned there is one in Japan and California does have one as well.  Unfortunately, ours only warns scientists less than 10 seconds before a quake- so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Anna, did you know that there is a film of the third part of Atlas ShruggedAtlas Shrugged: Who is John Gault?

Well done, here is a link to the trailer.  http://www.atlasshruggedmovie.com/

Also we saw the new film A Walk Among the Tombstones with Liam Neeson.  It's based on the book of the same name by Lawrence Block.  Very.   Well  Done.

I'll post a link to a local reviewer.....and I posted at the bottom, so scroll down to the comments.  I'm pontalba there as well.  That reviewer was just too nasty. 

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2014/09/a_walk_among_the_tombstones_re.html#cmpid=nsltr_strybutton

Anyhow, I'll copy and paste my comment here. 

by pontalba

"We saw "A Walk Among the Tombstones" this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Liam Neeson is perfectly cast as Lawrence Block's world weary Matt Scudder.  There are some differences from the book, that is only to be expected, but the film works well.  Anyone that is a fan of Block will recognize and appreciate Neeson's portrayal of the character. 

The reviewer speaks of clichés, and while some of the story may well be called a cliché, so can most of the better, not to mention most popular detective stories that have been written, or made into films or television series.  One could call any tried and true story line somewhat of a cliché.  The old "Hill Street Blues", and any of the "Law and Order " franchise come to mind.  If you are a fan of any of those, you will certainly enjoy the film.

I found the reviewers take to be a bit condescending in tone, and irritating.  Not to mention a bit contradictory. 

It's a great action flick. :)"

In other bookish news, I've read about a third of I Am Pilgrim, and love it. 

My going out book on kindle was Wyatt by Garry Disher.  finished it last night and what a great ending!  Differently done, and very good. 

It's a story of criminals conning each other, crossing paths and retribution.  Great characters, great place descriptions.  The action is mostly in Australia, but partly in France. 

4/5 Recommended.

Edited by pontalba

I'm glad you're doing some nice reading :)!

Thanks, Gaia! :)

Sparrow migration sounds very interesting - another for the wish list! I do enjoy coming in here because you are often reading interesting things I have never come across before. :)

Thank you, Alexi! :)  Appreciated.  

The story just carried the reader along wonderfully. 

Kate

I agree , you have such a varied list of books . Never know what you will come up with next !

LOL  I suppose Amazon must think there are many people ordering from them....or at the least several personalities.....hee hee  :harhar:

I have to agree with Alexi and Julie, you read a lot of different books, it makes your book thread very interesting to read :).

That's so sweet, thank you, Gaia.  Sometimes I surprise myself.  :icon_eek:  :giggle2:

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes  5/5 !!

A thriller? Yes.
A fascinating detective story? Yes.
A spy out in the cold? Oh, yeah.
A puzzle wrapped in an enigma? Definitely.

Terry Hayes has wrapped what is already a fascinating detective story into a frantic global chase for a man only known by a code name. The Saracen. A man that has the cold and calculating intelligence and more importantly, the practical know how to devastate the civilized world.

We are told the stories of the two protagonists in alternating sections, opening in New York City with the first murder and Pilgrim's story slowly unfolds, how he came to be the person he is. Others are told in conjunction. One such is a story of a NYC detective whose story will partially enfold with his. Then we are whisked away to Saudi Arabia, and The Saracen's story is told. Why he is who he has become, and what drives him.

From New York City, to Paris to the barren war torn wastes of Afghanistan, the story's final confrontation on both issues, takes place in a seaside, tourist town in Turkey. The landscapes are gorgeously rendered, the people well fleshed out.

Interestingly enough Hayes has combined something that I've not seen before. A murder mystery and a spy story. It occurs to me that while there are similarities, the types are actually polar opposites. A detective starts with a crime....murder, robbery, and has to work backwards to solve it and catch the criminal. The spy must catch the criminal/terrorist before the crime has been committed. Hayes has juxtaposed those opposing types. The result is mesmerizing.

There are always reasons why we humans are the way we are, no matter how alien they may be to another. All sides are well represented in this novel of intrigue, love and loyalty.

Recommended.

Great review! I bought this yesterday - it fell into my basket at the supermarket :D

Thanks! :) 

I know, that happens, just don't exactly how!   :o  :P

I finished the Kirk Douglas book, I Am Spartacus:  Making a Film, Breaking the Blacklist.  4/5

I've read one or two of Douglas's books before, and his style is just like him.  Brash, forward, no fooling around.  I like it.  It's an interesting read about the in's and out's of Hollywood and hypocrisy of same.  Breaking the Blacklist was a dangerous thing to do.  His career and livelihood was at stake, big time.  Douglas is someone that has been around the block many times, and knows the score and doesn't mind exposing both his own faults along with those of others. 

For those not familiar with McCarthyism, or the Hollywood Blacklist, here is a link to explore.  It ain't pretty.  :(   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

It's a fast and interesting read.  Recommended.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.  I love history, and that is actually in my lifetime.  I was too young to know about it, but the perspective is interesting for me.  As short a time ago as that was, for me anyhow.   :P   And, thinking about it, the hypocrisy hasn't changed, it's just shifted it's focus. 

Lexicon by Max Barry 5/5

Words can persuade. Words can manipulate and control. Words can kill.

At an interestingly placed school in Arlington, Virginia these things are taught. The students learn the artistry of words. Graduates of the school become part of an elite, worldwide organization whose methods are both unorthodox and self-serving.

Lexicon is the story of a student of this special school, her interactions with the graduates, and both the experimentation and implementation of the knowledge gained in the school. The story moves from San Francisco to Virginia, and eventually to a worn out,small town in the outback of Australia.

The story is told in alternating voices and timelines, coming together to a very satisfying and terrifying climax. Barry has complete control of his characters, guiding them through a complex labyrinth of emotions and loyalties that entangle the reader and makes us care about their fate.

Part mystery, part fantasy with a love story thrown in, the genre is flexible.

Recommended.

Aww, that's a shame. :(

Definitely! :D

^ That was re: I, Claudius and me giving away the copy and now thinking seriously that maybe I need to borrow the book and read it. 

I played Trivial Pursuit for the first time in years last week, and one of the history questions I was asked had something to do with the Roman Empire etc, and I thought, being awful at history, that I know Julius Caesar but it can't always be him... So I remembered Claudius and it was the correct answer :D I guess I owe it to him to read the book :giggle2: 

Lexicon by Max Barry 5/5

Words can persuade. Words can manipulate and control. Words can kill.

At an interestingly placed school in Arlington, Virginia these things are taught. The students learn the artistry of words. Graduates of the school become part of an elite, worldwide organization whose methods are both unorthodox and self-serving.

Lexicon is the story of a student of this special school, her interactions with the graduates, and both the experimentation and implementation of the knowledge gained in the school. The story moves from San Francisco to Virginia, and eventually to a worn out,small town in the outback of Australia.

The story is told in alternating voices and timelines, coming together to a very satisfying and terrifying climax. Barry has complete control of his characters, guiding them through a complex labyrinth of emotions and loyalties that entangle the reader and makes us care about their fate.

Part mystery, part fantasy with a love story thrown in, the genre is flexible.

Recommended.

What an interesting sounding book! And 'interesting' doesn't even begin to cover what I thought of this after reading your review, but I can't think of another word at the moment :D I'm going to google the book and see what else has been said of it. This is most likely going to go on my wishlist :D Glad you enjoyed the book!