pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

We haven't got marmite here in the Netherlands. I looked it up but I don't think it's similar to anything we have here. I'm not sure if I would like it, though.

I don`t know if you have Oxo cubes, like a concentrated beef extract stock for soups ? I`d call marmite a spreadable version of that ( a little on bread goes a long way... ) :smile:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don`t know if you have Oxo cubes, like a concentrated beef extract stock for soups ? I`d call marmite a spreadable version of that ( a little on bread goes a long way... ) :smile:

Not sure.  Of course we have beef bouillon cubes.....not the same I expect. 

Summer House With Swimming Pool by Herman Koch 4/5

My husband brought up an interesting point while we were reading the last Koch book, The Dinner.  Because as readers we must suspend disbelief, is it sometimes necessary, or even part of the process to suspend moral judgment?  Or perhaps call it moral opinion.  Judgment is so.....judgmental. :)  Each reader must decide this for themselves.  I, personally, find it difficult to withhold, at the least, a strong opinion of the characters, and either approve or disapprove of their actions or some gray area in-between.. 

This is the second of Koch's books we've read, and he seems to follow a loose pattern of behavior for his characters in both books.  Amorality is certainly the first and foremost of the main protagonist's attributes.  In this novel, it pertains to  a doctor.  A person that has taken the Hippocratic Oath, (I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone.).  But what happens when the doctor thinks there may be a powerful incentive to harm a patient.  Motive, opportunity and the knowledge combine after a terrible act has taken place.  As in Koch's previous book a parents love for and desire to protect and/or revenge a child is a strong motivation. 

But wait! The twist is coming, and it's a doozy.  Do we ever know our children? 

Recommended.

I've updated by book list at the beginning of this thread, haven't done reviews of a couple of endings of trilogies.  The Last Policeman and Wayward Pines finales.  Or were they? :)  Both good enough endings, appropriate, if a bit of a downer.

We don't :(. Nothing called that at least.

Not sure.  Of course we have beef bouillon cubes.....not the same I expect.

We do have beef bouillon cubes here too.

Great review, Pontalba :)! I should buy and read one of Koch's books sometime.

You've read a lot of books this year so far! Are you hoping to hit a certain target for the year's total or not at all :)?

Kate

In regards to the Koch book ore you asking if we should try to read them and not judge the character's actions or try to put ourselves in their place and ask what would we do ?

You make them sound like they at least get your brain thinking and give you something to ponder afterwards . I've held off reading them ,mainly because the Amazon reviews are so off kilter. All over the place. I may have the Hubster make a library run for me to locate them . Sounds  like my kind of book. :..something that makes you think afterwards .

Good reviews !

My husband brought up an interesting point while we were reading the last Koch book, The Dinner.  Because as readers we must suspend disbelief, is it sometimes necessary, or even part of the process to suspend moral judgment?  Or perhaps call it moral opinion.  Judgment is so.....judgmental. :)  Each reader must decide this for themselves.  I, personally, find it difficult to withhold, at the least, a strong opinion of the characters, and either approve or disapprove of their actions or some gray area in-between..

For me, it really depends on the book and my mood. Sometimes I'm strongly judging the characters and not liking their actions (or very much liking their actions), other times even though they do things I disagree with, I can still enjoy reading about them. I'm not sure what exactly causes my different 'moods' in this sense, it might depend on my tiredness too. I find that when I'm more tired I tend to be more judgemental and want to spend less energy trying to understand a character very different from myself.

We don't :(. Nothing called that at least.

We do have beef bouillon cubes here too.

Great review, Pontalba :)! I should buy and read one of Koch's books sometime.

You've read a lot of books this year so far! Are you hoping to hit a certain target for the year's total or not at all :)?

Thanks, Gaia!  I wasn't sure how to go about reviewing this one! Oy! 

It's a lot for me...I think this was # 80.  I started out hoping to hit 100, as I came pretty close last year.

But I'm just going with the flow. :readingtwo:

Kate

In regards to the Koch book ore you asking if we should try to read them and not judge the character's actions or try to put ourselves in their place and ask what would we do ?

You make them sound like they at least get your brain thinking and give you something to ponder afterwards . I've held off reading them ,mainly because the Amazon reviews are so off kilter. All over the place. I may have the Hubster make a library run for me to locate them . Sounds  like my kind of book. :..something that makes you think afterwards .

Good reviews !

Correct.  IOW, read without judging the characters either way.  Or saying/thinking what we might do in a similar situation and judging them because they are not reacting in what we consider a moral/proper manner.  Is it even possible?  That's what I'm not sure about.  I suspect that on one level it is, however it isn't an easy thing is it?

For me, it really depends on the book and my mood. Sometimes I'm strongly judging the characters and not liking their actions (or very much liking their actions), other times even though they do things I disagree with, I can still enjoy reading about them. I'm not sure what exactly causes my different 'moods' in this sense, it might depend on my tiredness too. I find that when I'm more tired I tend to be more judgemental and want to spend less energy trying to understand a character very different from myself.

I agree, our moods or tiredness and our health/pain can affect our reading of any book.  And, yes, I agree that any of those items can make us more judgmental.....I tend to believe that is an automatic reaction and it takes more "energy" to avoid being judgmental.

I`d say it`s pretty much the same... Stop pulling that face !! :giggle2:

:P   Ya caught me! :harhar:

Edited by pontalba

Kate

I picked up the book you mentioned above . I can certainly see already what you mean . Not a likeable character in any way so far. Maybe as I get further into the book I'll see some redeeming feature ,but not so far  !

Kate

I picked up the book you mentioned above . I can certainly see already what you mean . Not a likeable character in any way so far. Maybe as I get further into the book I'll see some redeeming feature ,but not so far  !

Hah, as you've found out, no redeeming features in this novel....:D

Rain Girl by Gabi Kreslehner  4/5

A rather complex police procedural written with beautiful language and intricate settings.

A young girl, at three o'clock in the morning is struck by an automobile on the autobahn near Berlin. She had appeared out of nowhere, seemingly. Who is she, and why on earth is she in such an unlikely place at that hour? The story follows the detectives that catch the case in both their investigation and private lives. They trace the unknown girl's movements, learning of her connections, to her ultimate death.

Recommended.

BTW, this was a kindle first, translated from the German by the same translator that translated The Hangman's series.  Lee Chadeayne.  Well done.

Sounds like a good book. I've recently become interested in more mystery/detective/lawyer books. 

They were my first  :readingtwo:   love.  :)  Started young, with the Nancy Drew series.

I have some of those upstairs :smile: ; I started off my Leslie Charteris` Saint books. :D

I'm not sure if I've read any of them...but I do remember Roger Moore as The Saint:D

Holy Orders by Benjamin Black (aka John Banville) 5/5

Holy Orders, subtitled "A Quirke Novel" is truly that.  A Quirke novel.  The mystery is very much secondary to the character development of our Quirke, the Dublin, 1950's based coroner of Black's novels.  Alcoholic, his childhood staining his adulthood almost beyond his bearing, he stumbles his way through life attempting to find his way to a safe harbor.  His background is far too convoluted to go into here as it's evolved over this and the previous five Quirke novels.  Suffice it to say he has his demons and Quirke is not necessarily the winner. 

The mystery is of a personal nature to him, a close friend of his daughters is murdered.  Much of his daughter's inner life is brought out in this novel, she is developed carefully and beautifully.  . 

Black presents an evocative view of Dublin creating an atmospheric ambiance that I suspect only a native is capable of presenting.  His prose is, as always, gorgeous.

Highly Recommended.