pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

Definitely.

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

By the time I get to Book 13 again, it`ll all be new to me. ;)

:rolol:   Yup, been there, done that! :)

By the time you get to book 13 again your TBR list might be over 2,000! :o  :giggle2:

:angel_not:  Been there, done that too!  :D

I've picked up a PKD kindle on sale...The Crack in Space.  So far, so good.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now I've read the first 5 of the Dresden Files stories by Jim Butcher. 

I'd rate them all either 3/5, or 3.5/5 and have really enjoyed them a lot.  I don't know that my ratings really reflect that, but it's what I consider a fair rating anyhow.  For me to rate them higher, there would have to be less repetition of certain phraseology, and circumstances.

I have to believe I'm noticing it more because I've read them practically in a row.  They are rather compulsive! :D

I've also read the second in The Last Policeman Trilogy, Countdown City.  It was a little slower to begin with, but sped up nicely about a third of the way into the book.  I've reviewed the first one above and it could almost qualify as a review for this installment. 

The difference being that this one brings in more conspiracy theories about the asteroid and the government's lack of intervention.  Could they, should they, will they?  That sort of stuff. 

Next finished is Vanishing Act by Thomas Perry.  Definitely a 4/5

It's part, maybe the first of the Jane Whitefield series.  She is a part Seneca Indian and a guide in the modern world.  She helps people that need to hide.  They need to get away from someone that is trying to kill them, and they have no other recourse.  Jane has the connections.

This tension filled installment was full of surprises and extremely instructive of Native American History.  Perry incorporates the history of her people into the weave of the story beautifully.  He makes full use of Jane's talents. 

I don't want to give anything away of the story, but be prepared to be surprised.  :)

Next finished is Vanishing Act by Thomas Perry.  Definitely a 4/5

It's part, maybe the first of the Jane Whitefield series.  She is a part Seneca Indian and a guide in the modern world.  She helps people that need to hide.  They need to get away from someone that is trying to kill them, and they have no other recourse.  Jane has the connections.

This tension filled installment was full of surprises and extremely instructive of Native American History.  Perry incorporates the history of her people into the weave of the story beautifully.  He makes full use of Jane's talents. 

I don't want to give anything away of the story, but be prepared to be surprised.  :)

Sounds good. I`ve got a few of the Tony Hillerman books which are set on a Navajo reservation ; your book sounds like something I`d enjoy. :smile:

I have read all 18 of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mystery novels and about 8 of the other novels. Hillerman was one of the authors that I really enjoyed reading.

Vankshing Act sounds interesting, I will look it up.

On another note, a Western that I really enjoyed was Appoloosa  by Robert B. Parker. Strongly recommend it.

Edited by muggle not

It sounds like you've had some great reads :). I agree with you on series repetition, I find that often in series, that's why I usually read one or multiple books between a series books.

:blush2:  I usually break them up too, at least to some extent.  But it was so darned easy on the kindle.....awk!  Oh, I've started collecting them in paperback form now.  I want to have the set in paper.  :readingtwo:

I read one and really liked it - bought a few of the other books - they`ve all been languishing in my TBR pile for years now. :blush2:

Ahhh, know that feeling, verra well.  (bolding above mine)... :D

I have read all 18 of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mystery novels and about 8 of the other novels. Hillerman was one of the authors that I really enjoyed reading.

Vankshing Act sounds interesting, I will look it up.

On another note, a Western that I really enjoyed was Appoloosa  by Robert B. Parker. Strongly recommend it.

Well, muggle, you certainly steered me right on the Robicheaux books!  So, I know I'll like the Hillerman's as well. :D:cool:

Re the Parker....haven't read any of them.  Now I have read some Louis L'Amour books....the Sackett series, Walking Drum and something else I can't recall at the moment.  Loved all of them.

I can't believe I haven't been here since January, when I asked you about how you'd come to join the forum :blush: I remember having read your reply at the time but not having the time to reply then... Sheesh! 

It was really interesting to read about how you ended up in here! But do you really mean to say there are other book forums out there... :o Is this not the one and only? 

I do like 'the vibe Michelle [is] engendering here' :D:cool: 

Well, the Library Sale today well and truly knocked us off of The Wagon.  I don't think there is a chance of catching up with said Wagon again.  /sigh/giggle/

Here's the damage, er list:

A Walk on the Wild Side by Nelson Algren

Have you read any Nelson Algren before? He was on my Fiction of the 1930s course, well not the man himself but one of his texts and I'm interested in what you think of him if you've read anything by him.

Borderliners by Peter Hoeg

I had a copy of this and gave it away and ever since then I've been regretting it... =D I hope you like the book, I'm looking forward to your review. (And luckily I gave the copy to a friend from whom I can borrow it when she's read it!)

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion 4/5

I was utterly charmed by this book. The story of two very unlikely people meeting in a most peculiar manner, and falling in love. Both stoutly denying it the entire time. Don Tillman is brilliant, but socially inept, organized to the Nth degree, and Rosie.....well, Rosie is almost the exact opposite......flamboyant and colorful.

I am not ordinarily a fan of "romantic comedies", but this is certainly the exception to the rule. The matter-of-fact prose that Simsion writes cuts right through the chatter and hits the target. This is truly laugh out loud funny. I had to stop and read portions out loud to my husband, with both of us giggling, hardly able to continue.

This is a story of possibilities, of regeneration, and most of all being able to start over.

Highly recommended.

A great review! It was such a darling book, wasn't it :wub: And so well written! I found it difficult to believe it was Simsion's debut. The talent!

Every time I read a review of The Rosie Project I could kick myself for listening to it and not reading it. I know that, in my head, it would've come across exactly as you've said. The narrator was just all wrong and that made Don unconvincing. I still liked it a lot but couldn't reconcile the voice to the character .. I need to re-visit once his voice has faded from memory. Great review Kate 

I'm sure you'll forget about that narrator's unsuitable voice and can jump right into the book :) There's so much to the language Simsion uses itself that it'll read like a new book! :)

Flesh and Blood by Michael Cunningham

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this! I've read Cunningham's A Home at the End of the World, and I loved it, but for some reason I've never been able to get into any other of his books :shrug:  I'm still willing to think it's just because I've not been in the right mood, but I'm starting to get a bit ... hesitant. 

Cakes and Ale by W. Somerset Maugham  1967

Another book I want to know your thoughts on :D

Well, now I've read the first 5 of the Dresden Files stories by Jim Butcher. 

I'd rate them all either 3/5, or 3.5/5 and have really enjoyed them a lot.  I don't know that my ratings really reflect that, but it's what I consider a fair rating anyhow.  For me to rate them higher, there would have to be less repetition of certain phraseology, and circumstances.

I have to believe I'm noticing it more because I've read them practically in a row.  They are rather compulsive! :D

I'm just about to finish book 4 of the Dresden Files, and I would agree with those ratings. I'm always a little amused by Dresden's seeming fascination with his 'long legs' and his duster 'billowing around them'. :giggle:

That said though, the books do have a really great sense of humor at times, and I've found myself on several occasions laughing out loud at them!

I've had to remove some emoticons.  Drat!!!!!!!!!

The Spenser books are wonderful.   The Godwulf Manuscript - Spenser1.

I've put it on my wish list, thanks!  :D  Have you seen any of the Jesse Stone films?  I am pretty sure they were made for TV, and Magnum, P.I. , er Tom Selleck played Stone.  They were good, but I'm a bit prejudiced in Selleck's favor.  :angel_not:

I can't believe I haven't been here since January, when I asked you about how you'd come to join the forum I remember having read your reply at the time but not having the time to reply then... Sheesh! 

It was really interesting to read about how you ended up in here! But do you really mean to say there are other book forums out there... Is this not the one and only? 

I do like 'the vibe Michelle [is] engendering here' :D:cool: 

Have you read any Nelson Algren before? He was on my Fiction of the 1930s course, well not the man himself but one of his texts and I'm interested in what you think of him if you've read anything by him.

I had a copy of this and gave it away and ever since then I've been regretting it... =D I hope you like the book, I'm looking forward to your review. (And luckily I gave the copy to a friend from whom I can borrow it when she's read it!)

A great review! It was such a darling book, wasn't it And so well written! I found it difficult to believe it was Simsion's debut. The talent!

I'm sure you'll forget about that narrator's unsuitable voice and can jump right into the book There's so much to the language Simsion uses itself that it'll read like a new book!

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this! I've read Cunningham's A Home at the End of the World, and I loved it, but for some reason I've never been able to get into any other of his books   I'm still willing to think it's just because I've not been in the right mood, but I'm starting to get a bit ... hesitant. 

Another book I want to know your thoughts on

Well, howdy there frankie! :D   Welcome. :cool:

Haven't read Algren yet, or any of his.......yet.  :blush2:

Thanks!  I really loved Rosie. :D

Haven't read that Cunningham, yet.  But can heartily recommend Specimen Days.  Loved, loved, loved it!

:blush2:   Also haven't read Cakes and Ale yet either.  I'm hesitant on him, I've read one....um.....cant' find or remember the name.  I was underwhelmed though. 

Although I did enjoy the film of The Painted Veil.  That doesn't mean a whole lot, unfortunately.

I'm just about to finish book 4 of the Dresden Files, and I would agree with those ratings. I'm always a little amused by Dresden's seeming fascination with his 'long legs' and his duster 'billowing around them'.

That said though, the books do have a really great sense of humor at times, and I've found myself on several occasions laughing out loud at them!

I know!  I think you've nailed my real reason for enjoying them so much.  They are just flat out funny!  I was reading bits out loud to my husband, and even a bit out of context, he laughed too. (dratted emoticon removed)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know!  I think you've nailed my real reason for enjoying them so much.  They are just flat out funny!  I was reading bits out loud to my husband, and even a bit out of context, he laughed too. (dratted emoticon removed)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard not to! I had to put the book down for a minute from laughing when I read the part where

Dresden fires himself up out of the ground and directly into a tree.

:giggle:

Slip & Fall by Nick Santora 3.5/5

An honest hardworking man, an honest lawyer. Robert Principe is both, but his honesty isn't paying the mounting bills. Upkeep for his storefront office, his home mortgage and his newly pregnant wife swamp him. In a moment of desperation he concocts a flim-flam plan and floats it with his cousin who just happens to be in with the local mobster. Panic ensues and masks are dropped in this tense tale of desperation.

While the story is somewhat predictable, the tension that Santora keeps up makes this a worthwhile read. 

Dance for the Dead, A Jane Whitefield Novel by Thomas Perry 4/5

Fast-paced action, beginning to end, with practically unpredictable turns and twists seem to be Thomas Perry's trademark. This is the second in the Jane Whitefield series, an Indian Guide that helps people disappear.

An 8 year old boy being hunted for his inherited fortune, a con woman on the run, seemingly unconnected but intertwine into an exciting and tension filled chase. Lives are at stake, including Jane's. Her hunt for the perpetrator is danger filled, and frankly scary as heck.

A wonderfully enjoyable chase and evade story.
Recommended.

Supreme Justice by Max Allan Collins  4/5

A politically Conservative Supreme Court Justice is shot and killed in the course of a robbery of a Washington, D.C. restaurant. But what is the true purpose, the robbery or the killing? Is it an assassination, or an armed robbery turned violent? An FBI/D.C. police department/Homeland Security taskforce is formed immediately. An ex-Secret Service agent, Joseph Reeder, who heads his own private Security agency nowadays is sent the security tape of the robbery. He notices an anomaly in the body language of the Judge just before the shooting that seems to open a path to a new theory.

Reeder is then attached to the Task Force and he and his new partner try to work their way through the labyrinth of clues, missed opportunities and deaths to find the truth.

One of the really cool things about the book is the way Collins has inserted a quote from a famous, deceased Supreme Court Justice, or a former President that is applicable to the following chapter. The quote gives of course, the name...but includes the Section, Lot number, and Grid number in which that person is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

A fast paced thriller that I can certainly recommend.

I've put it on my wish list, thanks!  :D  Have you seen any of the Jesse Stone films?  I am pretty sure they were made for TV, and Magnum, P.I. , er Tom Selleck played Stone.  They were good, but I'm a bit prejudiced in Selleck's favor.  :angel_not:

Ooh, yes - I have most of those on DVD. Love them. :D

Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh  4/5

Some someone(s) exploded a dirty bomb(s) in New York City, downtown in Times Square, naturally the city just isn't the same. Seemingly the rest of the country is limping along in a fairly normal manner. That isn't discussed much. Only about a quarter of NYC's residents are still there, somehow scraping out some sort of existence. Of course, as usual, the rich have it "better". I'll let that explanation stay in the book for you to discover. It's interesting, I must say. Even innovative, I'd say.

Garbageman turned hit man, Spademan, is a killer with a attitude that is made quite clear on the first page. "I don't care." He receives a phone call, the money is electronically transferred, and the buyer knows the deed is done when, "The dead guy, that's how."

Post apocalyptic, on the dystopian side, smart aleck to the Nth degree. Sternbergh dispenses with quotation marks, and some other paraphernalia of grammar. I found that only helped the rather staccato quality of his writing come more alive on the page.

BTW, it's the first of a proposed series. :)
Recommended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also read a novella by Diana Gabaldon, The Space Between, a novella set between the 7th book, and the upcoming 8th book.  It takes place in Paris, France and covers a bit of story line regarding Comte St. Germain (he isn't dead!!, and this isn't a spoiler, as we meet him on the first page) and one of the offspring of Ian Murray's family, Joan.  She is crossing to France to become a nun. 

It's vintage Gabaldon, sucks the reader right into it! :)   Drat! :D  def 5/5