Posted Images

The Venetian Affair by Helen MacInnes   £2.00

Kill List by Frederick Forsyth  £1.98

Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende    £2.80

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin    £1.99

Could It Be Magic?  by Melanie Rose   £1.77

Death on Demand  by Carolyn G. Hart     £3.07

The Night Villa  by Carol Goodman    £1.97

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun 
by Gretchen Rubin                     £2.91

Outsider in Amsterdam  by Janwillem Van De Wetering  £2.81

Total : £21.29 for 9 books.  

Hmm, I wanted to buy the teenage amnesiac book, then needed to get £10 worth of books to get the free p&p...... ;)  Oh, and I thought while I was on Amazon, I might as well get that Dutch detective book, too.

Books read : 100                        TBR 780                    New Books Bought : 139                      Total Cost : £266.66

Hee, I wonder if that latest total is a hint for me to buy this book, 2666....

Edited by Little Pixie

Pretty funny , Pixie  :)

You sound a bit like me when I want to get something online and want to spend a certain set amount like on a gift card . I keep fiddling with it to get as close as possible and get as many good deals as Ican ,then usually end up going over because I find something else I want too !

At least you're reading at a pretty good clip ,so you're staying fairly even .

I do the same, add more items to things to make the postage more worth it.

I hope you enjoy all your new books :)! I'm particularly interested what you think of Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac and Outsider in Amsterdam.

I do the same, add more items to things to make the postage more worth it.

I hope you enjoy all your new books :)! I'm particularly interested what you think of Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac and Outsider in Amsterdam.

The Dutch one is coming from the US, so it might take a while to get here ( and there`s no telling how long it`ll stay in the TBR... ) ;)

Pretty funny , Pixie  :)

You sound a bit like me when I want to get something online and want to spend a certain set amount like on a gift card . I keep fiddling with it to get as close as possible and get as many good deals as Ican ,then usually end up going over because I find something else I want too !

At least you're reading at a pretty good clip ,so you're staying fairly even .

I ordered a Steve Martin DVD too ( My Blue Heaven, for £5 ) and did wonder if I could get away with just ordering 2 or 3 books to get free p&p... Then the problem was that once I had free p&p, I thought I should take advantage of it to order more books... :blush2:

There`s always some excuse. :giggle2:

Books read : 101              TBR 779               New Books Bought : 139               Total Cost : £266.66

Book # 101        Conversations with isabel Allende ( edited by John Rodden )

A collection of 34 interviews, published in 1999. Five of them were new, and most were translated from Spanish, Dutch and French ( and from literary magazines I`d not heard of ). All are in Q&A format, which I find lets you make your own mind up, rather than be swayed by the interviewer, and cover the books  The House of the Spirits, Of Love and Shadows, Eva Luna, The Stories of Eva Luna, The Infinite Plan, and Paula.

If you`re a fan, they`re inspiring and informative, discussing the writer`s working habits and her life in exile from Chile, in Venezuela and California.  :smile:

I`m getting a bit behind with things ; focusing on books has meant my newspapers piled up, so I`ve spent the past couple of days catching up with them ( and with S2 of Orphan Black, which is my very favourite thing on TV atm ).

This book - The Cat who came in off the Roof -  had a big write-up in a newspaper`s books` section. It`s translated from Dutch and is apparently a classic in Holland ( Gaia ? :D ).

It does look a lot of fun. :smile:

Pixie, that book is called Minoes in Dutch and is absolutely brilliant :D. I'm ashamed to say I don't own it (maybe I should change that some time). I've read it when I was a child and loved it. Plus, it has cats so what's not to like? There's also a film made based on the book which my parents own either in VHS or on DVD I think, I'm not sure which. Annie M. G. Schmidt has written a lot of Dutch children's books (for example Jip en Janneke and Pluk van de Petteflet) and I've loved all of them :).

Pixie, that book is called Minoes in Dutch and is absolutely brilliant :D. I'm ashamed to say I don't own it (maybe I should change that some time). I've read it when I was a child and loved it. Plus, it has cats so what's not to like? There's also a film made based on the book which my parents own either in VHS or on DVD I think, I'm not sure which. Annie M. G. Schmidt has written a lot of Dutch children's books (for example Jip en Janneke and Pluk van de Petteflet) and I've loved all of them :).

Thank you :D ;  I`m putting it on my ` buy used when there`s a cheapie one` list .

The review I read compared it to the Carbonel series, which I have such lovely memories of reading when I was maybe 7 ( I did a re-read a few years ago, when it turned out that there was a third book in the series, which I hadn`t known about - obviously, I had to buy it and re-immerse myself in the delights of the books ). :smile:  

A very belated congrats on reading 100+ books so far this year! Makes me want to get off my bum and read more often than I do now. :giggle2:

Lovely cat! I don't mind cats but they seem to dislike me. They never really hang around me like most people, maybe they know I prefer dogs more. :giggle2:

She's so beautiful :)! I just want to pet her.. (even though I'm quite allergic to cats so it'd be a very bad idea).

Eep ! Allergies - not good. :(

She loves attention and makes friends with visitors. She`s a real people person. ;)

A very belated congrats on reading 100+ books so far this year! Makes me want to get off my bum and read more often than I do now. :giggle2:

Lovely cat! I don't mind cats but they seem to dislike me. They never really hang around me like most people, maybe they know I prefer dogs more. :giggle2:

Thank you !  :D

Xiao-Xiao made friends with one of the neighbours who has a little doggie, so she`s not species-ist. :giggle2:

How are your six kitties doing ? :smile:

I'm afraid one of our calicos passed a few months ago.  :(  One of three sisters, they were born in May, 1997.  She had a cancerous kidney tumor. 

The rest are doing fine, even the almost 21 year old.  Her lungs and mouth work a treat! :D 

I'm afraid one of our calicos passed a few months ago.  :(  One of three sisters, they were born in May, 1997.  She had a cancerous kidney tumor. 

The rest are doing fine, even the almost 21 year old.  Her lungs and mouth work a treat! :D

Oh, that`s so sad. I`m really sorry to hear that. :empathy:

Glad that the others are doing well ( 20 years old ! That`s good going ! :smile:  ) 

Just back from the vet`s - she wowled all the way there ( but didn`t do any open-mouth panting - or wet or pooh herself - as previously happened )  - was fine once she got out of her picnic hamper - she had her jabs and her worm tablet okay - even made friends with the vet and allowed herself to be picked up by him like a baby for a cuddle -  he said her coat is much better than a lot of the cats that he sees, and that she might have had flu as a kitten, and that`s why she sneezes and snores at night ( `cos it`s left her with hayfever ) - glad it`s all over for another year ! :smile: