Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2014

Little Pixie

Most of those books are used, that`s why they`re such a good price. :smile:

x

When I buy used books from Amazon I have to pay £4.02 postage for every single one (if I order two it's £8.04). Amazing that you get free P&P there (even if over £10). I can understand it annoys you though :).

Edited by Athena

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Books read : 82                     TBR 762                     New Books Bought : 111                  Total Cost : £229.37

Wow!!!....i'm impressed :D

Totally agree with the Amazon charging for postage being annoying, on the plus side though it means i'm more likely to buy from other sellers now  :smile:

Yeah, that's really annoying :irked:

I`m spending a lot of time scrolling through my wish list and looking for things that I want, to go with the thing that I really, really want. Not that i`m buying things I won`t eventually read, just that I feel I`m adding unnecessarily to my TBR, and there are things which I wouldn`t have bothered getting for a few months or a year which are now in the TBR mountain. :banghead:

Wow!!!....i'm impressed :D

Totally agree with the Amazon charging for postage being annoying, on the plus side though it means i'm more likely to buy from other sellers now  :smile:

Erm - impressed at the impulsiveness and general lack of control in the face of books ?! ;)

I`ve used abe books before for used books, but I prefer to stick with Amazon `cos of their guarantees ; I had a couple of books go missing in the post this year, and there wasn`t a problem getting refunded. :smile:

x

When I buy used books from Amazon I have to pay £4.02 postage for every single one (if I order two it's £8.04). Amazing that you get free P&P there (even if over £10). I can understand it annoys you though :).

That`s inhuman !! :o  I`ve had quite a few used books from the US which have cost me £2.81 each, so it`s awful that thyey`re charging you so much. :(

Bought a 99p book for Kindle - GM Malliet`s Wicked Autumn - I`d previously looked at it and read the excerpt, so I`m thrilled to get it cheaply. Yay ! :D

Oh, and I`m just back from the Church hall, voting in the Euro Elections. No visiting cats this time, but two dogs had been in. Aww. :smile:

More books, form the Save the Kitties place and the Hospice shop ( BTW, the latter one now has a gift aid scheme, where they can claim back the tax on the books you donate : I`ve not seen that before ).

The Beautiful Mystery - Louise Penny    Not got this Inspector Gamache book yet, really pleased to find it. :doowapstart:

Lasting Damage, The Point of Rescue - Sophie Hannah     I watched the TV show with Olivia Williams, was thinking of trying the books at some point.

What came before he shot her, This body of death - Elizabeth George    I have a few of the Insp. Lynley books, glad to get more.

The Morville Hours - Katherine Swift     Radio 4 book of the week , a history of a place near me.

Raven Black - Ann Cleaves      Watched the TV show too.

The Prince of Mist - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The House of Doctor Dee - Peter Ackroyd

( 9 books for £9.50 ) :smile:

Books read : 82              TBR 772                      New Books Bought : 121         Total Cost : £240.87

Oh ! I forgot - I also got a 1400 page tome - Guide to Modern World Literature by Martin Seymour-Smith for £2. :smile:  

Edited by Little Pixie

Nice Haul Pixie  :smile: I have a couple Elizabeth George's on my shelves but haven't got round to reading any yet  :blush2:

Thanks. :D

Theose Elizabeth George`s are Mighty Tomes ; I read the first one or two and liked them, then watched most of the TV series and enjoyed that. I keep seeing them in charity shops and adding them to my TBR, `cos I know I`ll read them at some stage ( but the length is a bit off-putting at times... ) :smile:

Book # 83            Garment of Shadows - Laurie R King

Mary Russell wakes up in a strange room with amnesia, and has to work out which country she`s in and who she actually is ( looking through her few belongings, she comes up with some good guesses ). There`s much about the history of the country she`s in, though for me, it got overly complex at the end, and I wasn`t entirely sure I understood what had been going on. Still a reasonable read though.

My copy came with the novella Beekeeping for Beginners which was an excellent read ; it`s the story of Holmes and Russells` first meeting and their first few months as friends, told from Holmes` point of view. There are some shocking things happening, and the ending is a cracking adventure. Great stuff.

Book # 84           Touch not the Cat - Mary Stewart

Bryony returns to England after the sudden death of her father in an accident and has to deal with the cousins who will inherit the Family Estate; there are complications, in that her father left some cryptic utterances to the Doctor who was there when he dies, plus Bryony has the Family gift of telepathy and is in touch ( and love ) with someone related to her - though she doesn`t know his name... Working out who he is, and who she can trust, as she realises that she`s in danger... It`s a great adventure, with a sub-plot about ( to me ) following your heart and not clinging to Stuff.

Book #   85      Above Suspicion - Helen MacInnes

Frances and her Oxford Professor husband Richard meet an old friend who asks them to do a bit of secret work when they go off to Europe on their holiday ( in 1939). Things turn out to be more complicated and they get sucked into a big Spy Adventure. It`s such a page-turner that I felt like turning to the back of the book to make sure that everyone would be okay at the end ( you really feel for the characters ). There are a few too many coincidences for me, but it`s a great thriller.

Book #  86             Archangel - Robert Harris

I saw the TV series of this, and the book is just as good. Failing academic Fluke Kelso goes to a seminar in Moscow and is approached by an elderly man who says he has information about Stalin which would cause a scandal ; it`s an edge of the seat thriller, and worth reading if you`re unfamiliar with this terrible part of Russian history.

Book # 87               Naked in Death - JD Robb

New York, 2058.   Lt. Eve Dallas investigates the murder of a prostitute. It`s a cracking story and the characters really come to life, though at times, it`s like reading a cross between a naughty Mills&Boon and a Murder Mystery. It`s a fast, fun read, and I could`ve quite happily sat down and read a bunch of them, one after the other, in a slightly-disposable-fiction way, if it hadn`t been for my TBR calling to me. 

Book # 88   A Death in Vienna  - Daniel Silva

Israeli Spy Gabriel Allon goes to Vienna to investigate the bombing of a friend`s offices and ends up pursuing a Nazi War Criminal. It`s frightening well researched, in particular about Nazi Alois Brunner, who was still being photographed living in Syria until quite recently.

89 The Evil that Men do - Jeanne M Dams

Dorothy Martin and Husband Alan go on holiday in the Cotswolds and stumble across a body. It`s all a bit yawnifying and the characters and story feel flat - such a shame, `cos I really liked most of the previous books.

Book # 90             Uniform Justice - Donna Leon

Inspector Brunnetti investigates a suicide / possible murder of an army cadet. A sad, dark story.

Book # 91              The First Eagle - Tony Hillerman

Chee ( Lt. in the Navajo Tribal Police ) and Leaphorn ( newly retired former boss of Chee and now private detective ) come together to investigate a murder and missing persons case in the South-western US. The story involves The Plague( The CDC says that an average of 7 cases occur each year - no clicky `cos there are pictures, yikes :hide:  )  and is a thoughtful, gentle book, with some interesting bits about traditional Navajo life. There`s a real sense of police officers alone in a huge country with back-up hours away.

Book # 92           A late Phoenix - Catherine Aird

My least favourite of the Inspector Sloan stories so far. A body turns up on an old bomb site and the team investigates. There`s no sense of the usual humorous double act between Sloan and his Sgt., and the story comes to a so-so end, rather than the usual complex and satisfying conclusion.

Book # 93           Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

A beautifully - and very funny - novel masquerading as Detective Fiction. It`s the first of the Jackson Brodie, Private Detective books and is a great read. Occasionally dark, but always with wonderful observations of human nature.

Edited by Little Pixie

Books read : 93                        TBR 772                    New Books Bought : 130                      Total Cost : £245.37

Some books from the Samaritans Sale, all @ 50p :

The Horse Whisperer - Nicolas Evans

The Razor`s Edge - W Somerset Maughan

The Binding Chair - Kathryn Harrison

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood     Lovely hardback, have wanted to try this one for a while.

The Client - John Grisham

The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga

Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

Witch Child - Celia Rees  ( signed copy ! )

Sorceress of Drashiva - David Eddings

Edited by Little Pixie

I`ve downloaded the first Wayward Pines book ( £1 today) `cos Kate said it was good. ;)

Nice to see you blaming someone else for your addiction :lol:

I`ve downloaded the first Wayward Pines book ( £1 today) `cos Kate said it was good. ;)

Nice to see you blaming someone else for your addiction :lol:

Oh, yeah!! :D /hiding/. I hope you do end up liking it!

Sorry about the doubling up top......silly iPad!

So happy you liked the Stewart and MacInnes. :)

Oh, yeah!! :D /hiding/. I hope you do end up liking it!

Sorry about the doubling up top......silly iPad!

So happy you liked the Stewart and MacInnes. :)

Ooh yes - happy that I have one more MacInnes and several Stewarts to get to in my TBR. Must get some more Macinnes`. :D

I look forward to your opinions of The Razor's Edge and White Tiger, too. I have only read one by Maugham, and found it a bit soft. But I don't think that is typical.

Edited by pontalba

I look forward to your opinions of The Razor's Edge and White Tiger, too. I have only read one by Maugham, and found it a bit soft. But I don't think that is typical.

I shall bring them forward in the queue. ;)

The White Tiger looks like someone gave up reading it at the 20 page mark ..   Hope that`s not a typical judgement. :giggle2:  

Nice reviews! You'll have read 100 books soon :D!

Congrats on your new books :D. I read The Client when I was a teenager in Dutch and loved it. I've bought it in English so I look forward to see what I think of it nowadays. Have you read any John Grisham books before? I also have The Horse Whisperer on my TBR as well as the David Eddings book.

Nice reviews! You'll have read 100 books soon :D!

Congrats on your new books :D. I read The Client when I was a teenager in Dutch and loved it. I've bought it in English so I look forward to see what I think of it nowadays. Have you read any John Grisham books before? I also have The Horse Whisperer on my TBR as well as the David Eddings book.

Thank you. :D

No, this`ll be my very first Grisham ! :o

I`m not sure if I`ll get to 100 books read first, or 800 books in my TBR. ;)