Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2014

Little Pixie

Pixie

I'm not sure what all the chapsticks for headaches had in them. It felt almost like if you would have used BenGay --- I'm not sure what's in it ,but it feels like it sinks into your skin and gets sorta hot-feeling .  Maybe it just made your head-skin feel burnt and you took your mind off your headache because your head felt like it was on fire.  Whatever it had , it helped .

I haven't heard of migraleve, but there is Aleve over here sold over the counter . I can't use it due to kidney disease ,so I'm limited on the drugs I can take for headaches . The Maxalt works fairly well but costs an arm and a leg . 300 bucks for 18 pills ( that is through a Canadian pharmacy , which is much cheaper than buying them here . Last time I bought them here it was 189.87 for 5 pills .

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I knew about the lovely chocolate and caffeine contributing, for some people. Fortunately they don't bother me. But let me drink a glass of a good Port wine, and I am down for the count. One of the worst headaches I ever had was from red wine. I love it, but it doesn't reciprocate!

I do have a couple of helpers though. One is to drink a cup of strong coffee (I always drink it black in any case), and take a Claritin before drinking alcohol. It works for me.

I like vodka too. :). With tonic water, usually.

Good trick ; I wonder if Kahlua and vodka has the same effect.

I go for flavoured vodka ( I make mirabelle vodka, `cos there`s a plum tree at the front ) with sparkling water ; the quinine in tonic water can make my ears ring. :smile:

Pixie

I'm not sure what all the chapsticks for headaches had in them. It felt almost like if you would have used BenGay --- I'm not sure what's in it ,but it feels like it sinks into your skin and gets sorta hot-feeling .  Maybe it just made your head-skin feel burnt and you took your mind off your headache because your head felt like it was on fire.  Whatever it had , it helped .

I haven't heard of migraleve, but there is Aleve over here sold over the counter . I can't use it due to kidney disease ,so I'm limited on the drugs I can take for headaches . The Maxalt works fairly well but costs an arm and a leg . 300 bucks for 18 pills ( that is through a Canadian pharmacy , which is much cheaper than buying them here . Last time I bought them here it was 189.87 for 5 pills .

Good grief, those prices are awful. :doh:

I`ve had Woodlock Oil from my acupuncturist - though Amazon also sell it - that also has that ` on fire` feeling. I use it on my back ( it`s excellent ), though I imagine it`s also for headaches, if you don`t get it in your eyes ? :smile:

Good trick ; I wonder if Kahlua and vodka has the same effect.

I go for flavoured vodka ( I make mirabelle vodka, `cos there`s a plum tree at the front ) with sparkling water ; the quinine in tonic water can make my ears ring. :smile:

I like the vanilla vodka, and the double chocolate favors. The plum sounds lovely.

Good grief, those prices are awful. :doh:

I`ve had Woodlock Oil from my acupuncturist - though Amazon also sell it - that also has that ` on fire` feeling. I use it on my back ( it`s excellent ), though I imagine it`s also for headaches, if you don`t get it in your eyes ? :smile:

Looks interesting. I bought Biofreeze at my chiropractor, but Amazon has it also. I've found it very effective, for my back and neck..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biofreeze-catsclaw16oz-16oz-Pump-Gel/dp/B002J9HBXY/ref=sr_1_4?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1403976584&sr=1-4&keywords=biofreeze+pain+relieving+gel

I like the vanilla vodka, and the double chocolate favors. The plum sounds lovely.

It`s a bit of a fuss to make, `cos the plums are about the same size as cherries, but so worth it. Ooh, I love vanilla too ; also that Absolut mandarin one. I used to like the Polish cherry, and bisongrass flavours, but I think they tinkered with the formulas a while back, and I didn`t think they were as good anymore.

Looks interesting. I bought Biofreeze at my chiropractor, but Amazon has it also. I've found it very effective, for my back and neck..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biofreeze-catsclaw16oz-16oz-Pump-Gel/dp/B002J9HBXY/ref=sr_1_4?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1403976584&sr=1-4&keywords=biofreeze+pain+relieving+gel

Thanks for that :D  ; I`ve looked it up and can get a smaller tube from Boots, which is a chemists/toiletries chain near the Supermarket I use. I hadn`t heard of it before. That gives me something to try when my Woodlock oil runs out. :smile:

And my latest books read...

I got to thinking it`s been ages since I`ve read anything by Isabel Allende, who I`d class as one of my favourite authors, so I got stuck into one of her books, which I enjoyed so much that I`ve ended up having an Isabel Allende Reading Month.  

Book # 94 Portrait in Sepia - Isabel Allende

This turned out to be a re-read, but well worth it. It`s a sequel to ...

Book # 95 Daughter of Fortune - Isabel Allende

.. Which are prequels to The House of the Spirits.  I`ve read them out of order, but I don`t think it matters. I preferred Daughter of Fortune, but they both have similar storylines. Set in 19thC Chile and San Francisco`s Chinatown, they involve a woman who sets out on her own path and overcomes epic obstacles. Inspiring. 

Book # 96 Ines of my Soul - Isabel Allende

From Amazon : A real historical figure, Inés Suarez came to Chile with the Conquistadors in 1540, helping to claim the territory for Spain and to found the first Spanish settlement in Santiago.

Told from the point of view of Ines, it`s the re-imagined story of a woman following her no-goodnik husband from Spain to South America, and the hardships she encounters. Her time on the ship is especially vivid, as are the battles and times of famine.

Book # 97 Eva Luna - Isabel Allende

“My name is Eva, which means 'life,' according to a book of names my mother consulted. I was born in the back room of a shadowy house, and grew up amidst ancient furniture, books in Latin, and human mummies, but none of those things made me melancholy, because I came into the world with a breath of the jungle in my memory.”  

I think this has been my favourite of the lot ; it`s like a series of connected novellas, telling the story of Eva Luna`s life through her various situations as a girl servant in South America, and her eventual meeting with her soulmate. To read it is to feel like you`re flying, the prose is so rich and wondrous. Eva never comes across as a victim and is always prepared to leave the house she`s working in and go out on the street, rather than compromise her Self.

Book #98 The Stories of Eva Luna - Isabel Allende

A collection of 23 short stories ( most of which involve characters from the Eva Luna book ) ; they`re vividly realised - in 10 short pages, you feel like you`ve read a whole novel.

Book # 99 Zorro - Isabel Allende

The origin story of Zorro, set in early 19thC California, Barcelona and New Orlean`s. It`s written as a serious piece, with info about the treatment of the Indians by Spanish settlers, how the Roma and French sympathisers were treated in Spain during and just after the Napoleonic Wars, and about piracy and slavery in New Orlean`s. The injustices shape Diego de la Vega - who becomes Zorro - and it isn`t until the end of the book that the amusing campness of the character comes out. Enchanting.

Oh, you're welcome! :). Over here I only can find it at the chiropractor and one shop that sells hospital supplies. The grocery stores don't carry it.

I get the impression that the supermarket pharmacies and places like Lloyds pharmacy and Boots are allowed to carry a range of drugs so that we won`t go and bother our Doctor`s for simple things ? Although, a friend living in Spain used to be able to get antibiotics over the counter without a prescription up until quite recently, which we can`t do. :smile:

I see you're reading Archangel, I don't remember details, but I know I liked it. Plus the film with the ever-delicious Daniel Craig was excellent. :D

Ditto to both. I`ve seen the film a couple of times before getting to the book ( oops, must update my ` reading now` thingy ) ; I was amused to find that the book Kelso is described as being in his forties and pudgy. ;)

That's great! I hope you enjoy it all the way through :).

Thanks ! I finished it last night. :D

Book # 100 - whoo-hoo, 100 ! << Does celebratory lap of the Board >>  - Island Beneath the Sea - Isabel Allende

Set in Haiti ( then called Saint-Domingue ) and New Orleans around 1770 - 1820, this is the story of  slavery from the viewpoint of various characters ( some black, some white, some mixed ), but mainly seen through the eyes of Tete (  real African name Zarite ) who becomes the maid to the Valmorain family. Haiti becomes the first Black Republic after a slave uprising and the Valmorains end up in Louisiana, where Tete struggles to free herself and her children. It`s an uplifting story, if obviously difficult to read at times due to the awful things happening.

Congratulations on reading 100 books :D! I can imagine it might be difficult to read the story at times :(.

Do you hope to read 150-200 books by the end of the year?

Thank you ! :D  And yes - at times it was a bit upsetting, but very worthwhile. :smile:

150-200 does sound possible, doesn`t it ?

I started off the year with a TBR of 738, and currently....

Books read : 100                        TBR 771                    New Books Bought : 130                      Total Cost : £245.37

.. So I`d really like to read another ( 771-738 = ) 33 or more books, so that I have my TBR going down over this year. :smile: That`s if I don`t buy any more books this year, which I can safely say is a no-hoper. :giggle2:

So, I`d like to read another 33 books plus however many more new books I buy. :hide:

Are you aiming for 200 then ? :D

I think 150-200 would certainly be possible, for the both of us! I'm not aiming for 200 as I don't know if I'd be able to reach that to be honest, but 150 would be nice. Last year I read 143 so I'm hoping to at least read more books than last year.

Buying books is just too much fun, isn't it :giggle2:?

I think 150-200 would certainly be possible, for the both of us! I'm not aiming for 200 as I don't know if I'd be able to reach that to be honest, but 150 would be nice. Last year I read 143 so I'm hoping to at least read more books than last year.

Buying books is just too much fun, isn't it :giggle2:?

There`s something very satisfying about having lots of new worlds to explore. :D

Wow, Pixie !

Congrats on hitting 100 only halfway thru the year  :)   You and Athena are in a footrace for the most in the group, I do believe.

I'm coughing up the dust you're leaving me in, but it's ok !   I'm glad you guys are having a successful reading year .