Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2014

Little Pixie

Book # 123      Bury Your Dead - Louise Penny

This crossed the line from mystery genre book into literature book for me, it was so cleverly done. Beauvoir investigates something privately in the Three Pines, whilst Gamache looks into the murder of an archaeologist in Quebec City. What happened to part them and why they`re on different investigations becomes clear as the book progresses ; Gamache experiences flash-backs and remembers conversations about a previous case, which are interwoven into the ongoing narrative. It`s done so skilfully that I never had trouble separating the present from the past. There`s a big theme about your past affecting the present, if you let it.

I enjoyed Still Life, the first of the Inspector Gamache books, but the series has really evolved into something very special. :smile:

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, Xiao-Xiao`s collar is off ; she`s a bit scratchy, but not badly so. She was stunned when the collar came off, then had a major 20 min wash. She`s so much happier ; she spent yesterday going in and out of the house, and catching up on playing with string. :D

Missed seeing this before....YAYS!!!!!  :clapping:

I remember seeing photos years ago of the Dutch Royal family on bikes ;  I wonder why Holland developed bike lanes early on and other countries have lagged behind ? :smile:

I don't know to be honest, I've never questioned it or thought about it. 

Well, Xiao-Xiao`s collar is off ; she`s a bit scratchy, but not badly so. She was stunned when the collar came off, then had a major 20 min wash. She`s so much happier ; she spent yesterday going in and out of the house, and catching up on playing with string. :D

That's so nice :D!

Oh, I just love these - Little Free Libraries. :D

We have those too! Though I've never seen one myself, I've seen pictures and an article in a Dutch magazine.

Whee, back from the vet. He`s very happy about her operation wound healing up, but she had a good old scratch yesterday and bled, grr. So, she`s had a different jab of steroids which should last 3 weeks and deal with the itchiness ( he said that cats do get problems at this stage with the skin healing up, which can be itchy, so they scratch and get ill again ). She`s stopped sneezing and snoring at night, and the vet says the steroids would have sorted that out, but her previous week`s steroid jab would have worn off after 5-6 days, and he thinks that`s why she had a scratch fest now. So, fingers crossed that after 3 weeks, when this lot of steroids wear off, she`s over the itchiness and won`t pick at her scabs - otherwise it`s back to the vet...

From what her vet thought - that she maybe had flu as a kitten - I`m guessing this is one of those things that she`s susceptible to, like getting diarhhea and throwing up. Poor girl. :smile:

Fortunately she has insurance. :D

Bike riding has become pretty popular here lately. They have built a really nice bike trail that goes along our old train tracks through town, and right by one of our little restaurants in town which was the old train depot and has all old pics of the town and trains ,stories of our town ,etc . It's a really neat little place.

Here's the article about the bike trail :

http://waynecountytrails.org/

I'm like you, Kate, haven't read a bike in MANY years, but the Hubster rides and has been on the trail with the grandkids before .

In the UK bikes don't seem common at all. The Netherlands is known as the "Bicycle Country". I don't think there are many people in the Netherlands who've never ridden a bicycle (other than children too young or disabled people). ...It's strange that it's so uncommon in other countries.

Bikes are pretty common here in the UK, although nothing like so much as in the Netherlands, and are on the increase. They are not used so much for utility, although the scene is varied: cities like York and Cambridge are as busy as the Netherlands, others (I live in Leeds) less so. London is very busy with bikes. Where they are very popular is for leisure both on and off road: I may not see so many commuters on my way in to work, but on Sunday, the back road on the other side of the river from the main road running up Wharfedale through Otley and Ilkley to the Dales, will have literally hundreds of cyclists on it (last time I rode on it, I counted!). You may have seen the level of enthusiasm for the Tour de France in Yorkshire a few weeks ago! We went to spectate, and once the Tour had passed through, we couldn't actually set off on our bikes for 20 minutes or so because of the numbers of cyclists coming the opposite direction.

The will is there, the potential is enormous. What we are missing is the national infrastructure of non-traffice cycle paths, only missing because of the total lack of will (and any sort of sense) at central government level, and because of some crass campaigning in the past (that's getting better). Where there is an infrastructure (a charity called Sustrans has made a huge difference here), all the evidence shows that cycling takes off. Gradually, very gradually, that is improving too.

OH and I both cycle fairly regularly to work. My straight line route ia about 6 miles, but I take a 10 mile, 45 minute, route to (a) avoid a humungous amount of climbing, and (b) because I don't like the roads (there are some hardy souls who do it!) - narrow moorland roads with some silly drivers. Instead, half my route is along the Leeds-Liverpool towpath, an idyllic ride which I love. The other half weaves its way around to avoid the worst of the roads, and it's pretty pleasant as a result. If I'm feeling lazy, I put the bike on the train for most of the way!

We've toured a fair bit in the Netherlands (our last trip was down the Rhine through Nijmegen to Rotterdam), and elsewhere in Western Europe, and it's brilliant, as are Germany (almost as many cyclists and cyclepaths), Denmark, Switzerland and Austria. France is pretty good too. One big plus in the Netherlands, is, correct me if I'm wrong, an assumption in the insurance laws in favour of the pedestrian/cyclist. If nothing else, that helps make car drivers somewhat more considerate than they can be here (although most are OK!). Having said that, there are some pretty awful cyclists around too, especially in London (where, it may surprise you, I love cycling).

I could go on and on, but am aware I'm in danger of hijacking your thread Little Pixie. Sorry, and hope I haven't intruded too heavily - it's a subject very close to my heart, and I couldn't resist jumping in!

Edited by willoyd

That's all very interesting, Willoyd! It's great to hear about cycling in the UK. It's so nice you cycle to work and for your leisure. I hope the UK gets more infrastructure for cyclists.

One big plus in the Netherlands, is, correct me if I'm wrong, an assumption in the insurance laws in favour of the pedestrian/cyclist. If nothing else, that helps make car drivers somewhat more considerate than they can be here (although most are OK!).

This is true! As far as I know, at least. :)

Bike riding has become pretty popular here lately. They have built a really nice bike trail that goes along our old train tracks through town, and right by one of our little restaurants in town which was the old train depot and has all old pics of the town and trains ,stories of our town ,etc . It's a really neat little place.

I'm like you, Kate, haven't read a bike in MANY years, but the Hubster rides and has been on the trail with the grandkids before .

That looks really good ! :smile:

Willoyd, I loved your descriptions of the bicycling in the U.K.!   Absolutely great! 

Julie, that's really nice.  Looks a lot like our Tammany Trace... http://www.tammanytrace.org/   The closest part of it is about 13 miles from us.  There are places along, called trailheads, that have different kinds of refreshments, and rentals for bikes available.  I've been tempted, but husband is not enthusiastic. lol 

btw, what you call Counties, we call Parishes.  Goes back to the French and Spanish influence of Louisiana history.  They had us first.  :)

Kate

Yes, I forgot that you guys use Parishes instead of counties !

I understand where your husband is coming from. I'm not much into cycling myself, but my husband likes it . Too bad we don't live close, you could go on a bike ride wth him. He'd love the company !

I haven't ridden a bike since bellbottoms were in style, so I can't see me doing it now !  The Husband takes our grandson sometimes ad goes on the bike path . when our other grandkids are in town, he will take one of them at a time .(there are 6 ,so he wouldnt be able to keep track of them all at once ).  :)

He also takes them fishing but makes their parents go. He can't help them fish and keep track of the others so he won't have to FISH them out of the lake . We aren't used to keeping track of that many kids at one time .

Awww, Sarah would never allow books to fall out of the window in such a higgledy-piggledy manner!  :giggle2:  But it is a great picture! :D

Gaia.....yup, bellbottoms were all the rage back in the last century aka the Sixties! :lurker: