Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding explanation/map of areas in question in your (or any) book, I've noticed the same thing when I read books that are based in a European or Far/Middle East locale.  I just am not as familiar with the geography of all the continents as I am with the American continent.  It can be frustrating, but otoh, I don't see how all books can contain maps of areas in question, all the time.  I think that most of the time it's somehow put into context in the story. 

But I do love to look up maps, and examine them. :)

Regarding explanation/map of areas in question in your (or any) book, I've noticed the same thing when I read books that are based in a European or Far/Middle East locale.  I just am not as familiar with the geography of all the continents as I am with the American continent.  It can be frustrating, but otoh, I don't see how all books can contain maps of areas in question, all the time.  I think that most of the time it's somehow put into context in the story. 

But I do love to look up maps, and examine them. :)

That does make sense, and that's very true. I like that too :).

I plan to write a series review of the Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances manga series that I'm currently re-reading, instead of writing reviews for the 21 volumes seperately. It will count as 21 books though :P (once finished).

Aw. :(  I hope you feel less stressy soon. :hug:

Oh no :( I hope you feel better soon too.   :hug:

What did you buy? :)

Thanks :hug:. I bought some digital video games, physical Blu-rays, Kindle ebooks and physical books (among which some by Steven Erikson..). I will post a full list of the books at a later date.

Morgan Matson - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

9725419.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Young-Adult

Format: Paperback (with photos and notes)

Pages: 344

Synopsis (GoodReads):Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.

My thoughts: I started to read this book because I was going on a (little) road trip myself.

I really enjoyed this book. There was quite a bit of depth to it, with themes such as bereavement. It took me a while to read this book because of our move that was / is happening. The book reads easily and you want to keep on reading. The story contains some flashbacks now and then, about things that happened in the past with Amy. I really liked the characters, particularly Amy and Roger (the two main characters). The book has little notes, emails, photos, playlists and receipts printed in it, that helped telling the story. I quite enjoyed this.

The one thing I missed, for someone who doesn't live in the United States, was a map. I was never educated about the different states in the US so I don't know where some of them are. But I guess since the book is written by an American author, the people in the US would just know these things.

Otherwise I can't really fault the book. I really enjoyed reading it. There were certain bits in the story I liked more than others though. In particular there was one character I didn't really like who was in one chapter. So I didn't like that chapter that much but I loved the rest of it. I fled through the last part of the book, it's written in such a way that you want to keep on reading to find out what happens next. The book can be enjoyed by adults as well as young adults.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Great review Athena, I love the cover of the book. :)

Douglas A. Puryear - Your Life Can Be Better: Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD

13252402.jpg

Genre: Information

Age-range: Adult

Format: Kindle

Pages: ~455

Synopsis (GoodReads):This ADD book is different:

1. It is written by a psychiatrist, about his own struggles and coping, and those of his patients and his friends. These are real life examples from real people with ADD or ADHD.

2. It focuses on strategies, not on medications or the history or diagnosis of ADD.

3. It is personal, not academic or preachy, not about 'you should'.

So it is interesting light easy reading, but packed with useful information.

It will help you make your life better.

My thoughts: I searched for books on ADD and this is one that came up. It sounded good and it was cheap. I liked the Kimple of it so I decided to buy it and read it.

I hadn't read a Kindle book in a while. It was good to read on the Kindle again, and I quite like its highlighting feature. The font of the Kindle is pleasing too.

Anyway, I quite liked this book. It's written by someone with ADD, a psychiatrist, who discusses his strategies for making his life work. He also discusses how things work for a few people he knows. The main point of the book is to have a strategy, make a rule, develop a habit. It had some very good points that I think can be quite useful. Of course since it's personal I've got to figure out what works for me and what doesn't. The writing style is good and the book reads easily. It was very interesting to read how his ADD worked for him, and for the people he knows. It's quite a good book and I enjoyed reading it.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

I've now read 140 books this year so far.

I'll write a review of the Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances manga series by Matsumi Tsuda when I've finished them all. I think that's easier than writing a couple of lines for every single volume. I'm re-reading them and loving them.

Here's a list of my new books.

Kindle Ebooks:

Susan Hatler - Better Date than Never 5: A Twist of Date

Susan Hatler - Better Date than Never 6: License to Date

Susan Hatler - Better Date than Never 7: Driven to Date

Various Authors - Sunlounger: The Ultimate Beach Read

Talli Roland - The No-Kids Club

Talli Roland - Last Christmas

Jennifer Weiner - Disconnected

Chrissy Manby - The Christmas List

Jodi Picoult - The Color War

Joe Hill and Stephen King - In the Tall Grass

Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Super Mysteries 1: Baby-Sitters' Haunted House

Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Super Mysteries 2: Baby-Sitters Beware

Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Super Mysteries 3: Baby-Sitters' Fright Night

Winnie Dunn - Living Sensationally: Understanding Your Senses

Wes Crenshaw - I Always Want to Be Where I'm Not: Successful Living with ADD and ADHD

Susan C. Pinsky - Organizing Solutions for People with ADHD, 2nd Edition - Revised and Updated: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized

Nancy A. Ratey - The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents

Sari Solden - Women With Attention Deficit Disorder - Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life

Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo - You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder

Susan Cain - Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Barbara Ann Kipfer - 8,789 Words of Wisdom

Barbara Ann Kipfer - 14,000 Things to be Happy About: Revised and Updated Edition

Barbara Ann Kipfer - It's Good to Talk: More Than 10,000 Questions to Ask and Think About

Barbara Ann Kipfer - The Wish List

Elizabeth Dutton - 1,033 Reasons to Smile

W. Doyle Gentry - 50 Ways to a Better You For Dummies, Mini Edition

Andy Grant - 200 Powerful Positive Affirmations and 6 Simple Tips to Put Them to Work (For YOU!)

Jenny Baranick - Kiss My Asterisk: A Feisty Guide to Punctuation and Grammar

Karl Moore - The 18 Rules of Happiness: How to Be Happy

Karl Moore - The Secret Art of Self-Development: 16 Little-Known Rules for Eternal Happiness & Freedom

Dr. Matt - When it Comes to Relationships, You've Been an Idiot.

James Erlichman - Addicted to Food: Understanding the Obesity Epidemic

Peter Atkins - Life is Short And So Is This Book: Brief Thoughts on Making the Most of Your Life

Lucy Demmy - Positive Thinking: 40 Ways to Become and Remain Positive

Fred Walther and Claudia Weber - Self Confidence Secrets: Overcome Low Self Eesteem and Become Unstoppable, Powerful and Irresistible

Nic Marks - The Happiness Manifesto

John Burke - The Problem is YOU: How to Get Out of Your Own Way and Conquer Self-Defeating Behavior

Tali Sharot - The Science of Optimism: Why We're Hard-Wired for Hope

Physical Books:

Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey - Answers to Distraction

Pentabu - My Girlfriend's A Geek Volume 2 Novel

Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse 11: Dead Reckoning

Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse 13: Dead Ever After

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 2: Deadhouse Gates

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 3: Memories of Ice

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 4: House of Chains

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 5: Midnight Tides

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 6: The Bonehunters

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 7: Reaper's Gale

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 8: Toll the Hounds

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 9: Dust of Dreams

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen 10: The Crippled God

Steven Erikson - Malazan Empire 0: The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach Volume 1

Steven Erikson - The Kharkanas Trilogy 1: Forge of Darkness

Ian C. Esslemont - Malazan Empire 1: Night of Knives

Ian C. Esslemont - Malazan Empire 2: Return of the Crimson Guard

Ian C. Esslemont - Malazan Empire 3: Stonewielder

Ian C. Esslemont - Malazan Empire 4: Orb Sceptre Throne

Ian C. Esslemont - Malazan Empire 5: Blood and Bone

(My Girlfriend's A Geek Volume 2 Novel has been posted but has not actually arrived. Amazon tells me it's been dispatched in the post before the packages which it thinks is faster but is actually slower :doh:)

Here's a photo:

DSCN1750_0.125.jpg

Sounds like you got a nice new stack of books to read. The good thing about YOU buying books is that you read them so fast, you can keep up with the buying somewhat .

I have books on my Kindle I bought 3 or 4 years ago and still haven't opened . I'm too slow a reader to keep up with my buying. I have cut way back o nthe number I buy with the job situation being as it was and lots of bills that need paid now, but once in awhile I still get the urge to buy books and slip a few into my kindle .

I think most people buy things at times when their life is stressed . Helps to make them feel better, or like people that eat to alleviate stress . I do some of that too !

Especially CAKE .

Congrats on the new books ! :smile:

Thanks Sarah :)

Sounds like you got a nice new stack of books to read. The good thing about YOU buying books is that you read them so fast, you can keep up with the buying somewhat .

I have books on my Kindle I bought 3 or 4 years ago and still haven't opened . I'm too slow a reader to keep up with my buying. I have cut way back o nthe number I buy with the job situation being as it was and lots of bills that need paid now, but once in awhile I still get the urge to buy books and slip a few into my kindle .

I think most people buy things at times when their life is stressed . Helps to make them feel better, or like people that eat to alleviate stress . I do some of that too !

Especially CAKE .

Thanks Julie :). That's very true, though I still buy faster than I can read them. I have a lot of unread books. I plan not to buy much more until the book fair in September. I really have to start watching my finances in a while. In the next few months I plan to think about how much things cost and which shop they are cheapest in (for food for example). I don't want to spend too much of my savings because once it's gone, it's gone. I bought these books because a few days ago I suddenly got these palpitations and huge stress and I had no idea what was happening, I normally combat stress by either buying books, opening wounds and/or eating (all three bad for me), so that's what happened. But I've really got to try and fix this, because I can't keep spending the amounts of money I do now that I'm living with my boyfriend. I love cake too! My medication is supposed to make me less impulsive so hopefully maybe at a later time it will help.

Wow, that's very impressive!

Thanks Anisia :)! I've read a lot more this year than last year (last year I read 143 books in the whole year). The year before that I read maybe 70-80 books (I didn't keep track yet). So I'm quite pleased :).

Thanks Anisia :)! I've read a lot more this year than last year (last year I read 143 books in the whole year). The year before that I read maybe 70-80 books (I didn't keep track yet). So I'm quite pleased :).

That's just crazy!  I did 103 last year, but I read constantly.  This year, I'm not doing so well.  July sucked big time.  I'm at 40- something.

I wonder how many you do get through this year.  Do you count the manga (sp?) too?

Edited by Anna Begins

That's just crazy!  I did 103 last year, but I read constantly.  This year, I'm not doing so well.  July sucked big time.  I'm at 40- something.

I wonder how many you do get through this year.  Do you count the magma (sp?) too?

Awww :(. Are you enjoying your reading at least? Or are there a lot of other things going on in your life this year (like your school)?

I counted the manga too, I've read 21 manga books (actually at the moment I have read 22.5 but I'll edit the statistics later today :P). They usually have around 200 pages (though I have a few longer ones) and I can read them quickly since there isn't as much text as in a 'text'book.

Awww :(. Are you enjoying your reading at least? Or are there a lot of other things going on in your life this year (like your school)?

I counted the manga too, I've read 21 manga books (actually at the moment I have read 22.5 but I'll edit the statistics later today :P). They usually have around 200 pages (though I have a few longer ones) and I can read them quickly since there isn't as much text as in a 'text'book.

Nope not what's going on, its just me and my disease.  Isn't that a song title? :P Seriously, when I have a cycle, it can be that way either manic or just a "eh" about everything and anything.  I have no idea how long the cycles will last.  I'm a bit more up to par now on reading- took me a few days with 12 years a slave because I was somewhat bored with it.  But with Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands, I was almost at my pre- July levels.  Should be interesting with this Elie Wiesel book (It's totally over took Salt atm), I'm really into it and think I might finish quickly...but then, there is school and I can't predict how productive I will be with this year's TBR.

That is a great increase! :) 

I'm not anywhere close to that, but I think/hope this will be the first year I'll reach my 50 books goal - it seems in the last few years I've slowly gone up in numbers. It just depends on the month a lot for me, some I read more than others. 

That is a great increase! :) 

I'm not anywhere close to that, but I think/hope this will be the first year I'll reach my 50 books goal - it seems in the last few years I've slowly gone up in numbers. It just depends on the month a lot for me, some I read more than others.

Thanks :). I hope you hit the goal! It makes sense your reading varies, I also go through periods where I read more and where I read less.