Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

I've never seen a cover that has V.C. Andrews first name written.  All of the ones here say V.C.  That's pretty interesting.

When I first read her books (when I was about 14 and everyone was talking about Flowers In The Attic), they all had 'Virginia Andrews' on the cover. Years later, it seems they have been changed to "VC Andrews" - I remember seeing that, and being slightly puzzled by it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athena

Wow, I just read your list of statistics so far for the year. Pretty doggone impressive ! I like how you had all the info narrowed down such as male/female authors and even specific genres . You should be some type of a book-keeper of some sort that keeps track of facts and figures for somebody that has lots of stuff to keep track of ,like the President or somebody !

I don't think I've ever known anyone as organized as you are . I TRY to be organized and am to a degree, but my ScatterBrain sometimes messes up my organizational skills !

Edited by julie

Thanks Julie :). I really like statistics like that, though I have to admit I'm only organised when it comes to my reading (and only since a year or such). It'd be nice if I can put my skill to use later on, yes :) (maybe in a library?). When it comes to certain other things I'm not that organised (like.. important papers). I hope to try and change this though when I move into the bakery.

J. J. Sandra Kooij - ADHD bij Volwassenen

20819259.jpg

Genre: Information

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 226 (336 including appendices, references and index)

Synopsis (me): A technical / scientific book on ADHD in adults, written for professionals, students and other interested people.

My thoughts: My psychiatrist recommended this book so I wanted to read it soon after it arrived.

This book contains a lot of information regarding ADHD (and also ADD). It's written for professionals, students and other interested people. It was quite technical from time to time but I had no problems with this other than that there were a few things I didn't understand (because they weren't further explained in the book). They weren't that important though for me.

I was particularly interested in the chapter on medication. I thought the author explained things rather well. The book also contains a lot of statistics on ADHD which I thought was nice to read. There is also a chapter on which other diagnoses can co-exist with ADHD which I thought was interesting.

Overall I learned a lot from reading this book. It had a lot more depth than the other books on ADD I've read. It was very interesting and answered some of the questions I've been having.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Some great reviews here Gaia. :) I see you're still ploughing through the works of Roald Dahl! It's true that some of his books are so good that it makes the others look quite weak in comparison.

I didn't even know Game of Thrones graphic novels even existed. :o Glad you enjoyed them!

I've received all the books I ordered, so just have to make a picture now and make a list to post (and add them to Book Collector and GoodReads..). I don't know when I'll be doing this though as there's lots of things going on since we'll be moving in the bakery soon. But hopefully I'll be able to make some photos etc. soon (otherwise I'll do it some time after the library sale and include photos of all the books I bought recently).

Unfortunately I won't be able to take all my books with me, there isn't enough space for that (unless perhaps I keep them in boxes but that's not what I want to do). I'm hoping to have one book case with books I plan on reading soon, and another one with all our manga books (my boyfriend has more of that than I do). Maybe there'll be more space for some of my other books. The rest of the books most likely will stay in my room, in the book cases (I plan to buy some more soon and remove my bed and put some of them there; my bed's a single that I've had since I was four, it's a nice bed but I have a nice double bed in the bakery now that my boyfriend and I sleep in. So more space for book cases!).

Oh boy, I'm on the list who want to see photos when you get your new place all arranged ! I love moving and getting things organized into a new place just like you want them !  Good luck on the move. Take your time with it and don't wear yourself out . You've got plenty of time to work on it .

Thanks Julie :). I'm quite excited about it! It'll be a bit of a change for me of course so it might take me some time to get used to it, but I'm really looking forward to it. The boys (my dad and my boyfriend) are working on the electrics right this moment (I don't know much about it and I'm tired from going to the shop where we bought supplies, so I'm sitting down browsing the forum).

Yea, let them handle that stuff . No hurry to get everything done fast. Moving really isn't bad if you take your time and can get things situated like you want them .  It should be ok if you can only keep one shelf of your TBR in your place, since you other shelves will be close by ! You can always switch up books when you finish one shelf full !

Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey - Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder

108592.jpg

Genre: Information
Age-range: Adult
Format: Paperback
Pages: 341 (380 if you include the appendix and the index etc)
Synopsis (GoodReads):As Hallowell and Ratey point out, “attention deficit disorder” is a highly misleading description of an intriguing kind of mind. Original, charismatic, energetic, often brilliant, people with ADD have extraordinary talents and gifts embedded in their highly charged but easily distracted minds. Tailored expressly to ADD learning styles and attention spans, Delivered from Distraction provides accessible, engaging discussions of every aspect of the condition, from diagnosis to finding the proper treatment regime. Inside you’ll discover

• whether ADD runs in families
• new diagnostic procedures, tests, and evaluations
• the links between ADD and other conditions
• how people with ADD can free up their inner talents and strengths
• the new drugs and how they work, and why they’re not for everyone
• exciting advances in nonpharmaceutical therapies, including changes in diet, exercise, and lifestyle
• how to adapt the classic twelve-step program to treat ADD
• sexual problems associated with ADD and how to resolve them
• strategies for dealing with procrastination, clutter, and chronic forgetfulness

ADD is a trait, a way of living in the world. It only becomes a disorder when it impairs your life. Featuring gripping profiles of patients with ADD who have triumphed, Delivered from Distraction is a wise, loving guide to releasing the positive energy that all people with ADD hold inside. If you have ADD or care about someone who does, this is the book you must read.

My thoughts: After reading the book my psychiatrist recommended to me (J. J. Sandra Kooij - ADHD bij Volwassenen), I decided to read the English book on ADD that I bought. I felt it would be nice to get an English book too about ADD, and this one was on the bestselling lists on books on ADD / ADHD on Amazon (I'll be posting photos and a list of all the new books at a later time).

This book was pretty interesting. First off, the authors of this book have ADD themselves. The book is written by Edward M. Hallowell, the contents come from both him and from John J. Ratey. There are some personal stories in the book, of the authors themselves but also of patients they saw. I also loved reading about Hallowell's children, two of which have ADD.

The absolute best part of the book for me, was the questionnaire they included. It consists of 128 yes or no questions, and people with ADD are likely to say yes to a lot of them. The questionnaire was very recognisable for me, I said yes to most of the questions. There were many questions as well of which I didn't think it'd have anything to do with ADD, but I found it very recognisable and comforting that I'm not the only one that has them. I'll be sure to re-read this questionnaire some time in the future or to show it to other people (I have already shown it to my boyfriend).

The book puts quite a bit of emphasis on that there are good sides to having ADD too and that each person has a strength (that they can use in society or as a job). This is quite a nice change to read about, as so far I had only read about the negatives of ADD. I don't know exactly what my strength would be (the only thing I can think of is reading books I find interesting, really, or maybe typing or writing), but that's certainly something to think about.

One thing I found missing was while there was talk of other conditions coexisting with ADD, autism was not mentioned. I think this is because when this book was published in 2005, this was not yet known. In ADHD bij Volwassenen the chapter on autism was added in the third edition in 2009, not in the first or second edition. Therefore I think it must be newer research.

The chapter on medication wasn't that long, there was more information in it in ADHD bij Volwassenen, but the book has other chapters on for example diet that were interesting. One of the things suggested is to have protein with breakfast, I might have to give that a try (at the moment I eat yoghurt with muesli and fiber rich cereal).

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book and it's given me more information. I enjoyed the personal stories in the book, the questionnaire, almost all of the chapters were interesting to me.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

I'm glad you enjoyed this so much Gaia. I like that you said it has quite a lot of positive things to say about ADD, and that the authors are writing from personal experience. It sounds like it would be very useful for people without ADD to read too. :)